ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon to the Big Ten?

Enough with your nonsense. Everyone knows that the BIG was on the brink of bankruptcy at that time, and was desperately seeking a lifeline. Why the USC of the East with their successful and rich History of football excellence wasn’t admitted over 50 years ago is a travesty.

With their enormous fan base and total dominance of the metropolitan NYC viewing audience, their belated BIG admission is a HUGE deal. Plus, they allowed the BIG further financial breathing room by magnanimously agreeing to a reduced income share.
Plus they gave us Snooki as well. And the Big 10 conference commercial during football season needed some way to end up in NYC.

Reactions: Thomas1945
They’re smaller than northwestern.
Yeah, it is actually quite pathetic how little support Miami has in tv viewership and actual attendance. I personally would like our conference to have a footprint in Florida and would take either FSU or Miami, but it seems like only FSU is financially feasible for the conference.

Reactions: psu00
You absolutely need one of the Florida schools (UM or FSU) in there befor e Duke and/or UVA.
At the end of the day, I expect the round of expansion to include four west coast/western teams. If I had to making an educated guess, it would be Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, and either Utah or Berkeley. The next round will be more open and likely includes UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech and another western school or two. The ball is rolling. This thing isn't stopping until the Big Ten is 24 to 28 strong.

Buyout is $20 million until end of contract. Was set to go down yearly.

More money too. But coach being poached seemed to be the reason this was done rather quickly. (1 season)
Just another brick in the wall. Change is coming. A lot of it. Like I said, I think it comes in waves. The ACC is on the verge of dissolving their grant of rights deal. The end will come a lot quicker than the legal eagles thought because there is nearly the critical mass needed to dissolve it. Bottom line, I think we'll see two series of changes where we end up with the three major conferences, the Big Ten, the SEC and a national version of the Big XII. The question is, will the Big Ten limit themselves to the 24 to 28 teams they will likely grab or do they go really Big?

I am expecting four mostly regional pods by 2028 with the ACC and Pac-10 being carved up and it would not shock me if they went as big as 36 with the Big XII becoming prey as well.

Pacific Coast Pod

Washington
Oregon
Berkeley
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Arizona State

Great Plains Pod

Utah
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan State
Illinois

Great Lakes Pod

Ohio State
Michigan
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Missouri (They already want to jump to the Big Ten)

East Coast Pod

Notre Dame
Penn State
Maryland
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Virginia
UNC

Yeah, it is actually quite pathetic how little support Miami has in tv viewership and actual attendance. I personally would like our conference to have a footprint in Florida and would take either FSU or Miami, but it seems like only FSU is financially feasible for the conference.
FSU headed to SEC, not B10.

Just curious, but why?

What we originally had, now just owned by 1-3 conferences instead of 5+.
The ACC is in a position where half the schools want to leave for either the Big Ten or SEC. The dissolution is being held up by the schools that are likely to be left behind (Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, Miami) and merge with the AAC. This has been well reported.

I am expecting four mostly regional pods by 2028 with the ACC and Pac-10 being carved up and it would not shock me if they went as big as 36 with the Big XII becoming prey as well.

Pacific Coast Pod

Washington
Oregon
Berkeley
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Arizona State

Great Plains Pod

Utah
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan State
Illinois

Great Lakes Pod

Ohio State
Michigan
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern

East Coast Pod

Notre Dame
Penn State
Maryland
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Virginia
UNC
Only 1 VA school, if any, could make the Big 10 cut with such pitiful tv #s. A Florida school will be in the conference, hopefully FSU. Overall, I think we are heading toward 10 conference games with some combo of 2 -3 rivalry games and a rotation of playing every remaining school every few years.

FSU headed to SEC, not B10.
Yep, and being the only Southeast team makes no sense which is why the B1G will concentrate on adding SW and West coast teams for geographical rivalries and travel purposes. Miami is a no-take with their lack of support.

Pacific Coast Pod

Washington
Oregon
Berkeley
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Arizona State

Great Plains Pod

Utah
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan State
Illinois

Great Lakes Pod

Ohio State
Michigan
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern

East Coast Pod

Notre Dame
Penn State
Maryland
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Virginia
UNC

Let's add another 20 schools to your list and we will be able to cut the payout per school from $100 million to $20 million.

I thought ND doesn't want to join a conference (although they are part of the ACC). As long as they are given their own TV contract and Big Ten teams are still willing to play (and share revenue with) them, why would they?

Reactions: psu00
Yep, and being the only Southeast team makes no sense which is why the B1G will concentrate on adding SW and West coast teams for geographical rivalries and travel purposes. Miami is a no-take with their lack of support.
I just can't see a scenario where the SEC falls asleep and lets the B10 swoop in and take FSU which is in their heartland. Plus it creates a conference rivalry with Florida on the level of Alabama vs Auburn or close to it.

Reactions: Online Persona
To attempt to be assured a spot as the #3 conference, sure.

The brands aren't good enough to out draw the other 2 though.
They aren't but that's how they survive either as the new "second tier" or as a league once the Big Ten/SEC bolt. Major changes are coming...best thing to do now is establish something as strong as possible.

I just can't see a scenario where the SEC falls asleep and lets the B10 swoop in and take FSU which is in their heartland. Plus it creates a conference rivalry with Florida on the level of Alabama vs Auburn or close to it.
I'm not convinced the Big Ten or the SEC want Florida State. I definitely don't think the SEC does--it doesn't really help them. Florida has Georgia as a rival--they don't need FSU. If anything the SEC goes up the eastern coast and west but not another Florida school. I'm not even convinced they'd want Georgia. UNC is the school that would be the one both desperately want.

I'm not convinced the Big Ten or the SEC want Florida State. I definitely don't think the SEC does--it doesn't really help them. Florida has Georgia as a rival--they don't need FSU. If anything the SEC goes up the eastern coast and west but not another Florida school. I'm not even convinced they'd want Georgia. UNC is the school that would be the one both desperately want.
If FSU is rising in football then the SEC will be interested. Florida and FSU is definitely a good rivalry. Has been a bit diminished due to both programs not being that great but remember the Bowden, Spurrier days? SEC would love to reignite that again. FSU is pretty good in hoops too.

I can see the B10 going hard for UNC and probably Duke as a package deal to stake claim in the southeast. Two great academic schools will bolster the conference reputation. I think the B10 beats out the SEC for UNC. UNC does not want to join a football factory conference with the likes of LSU, yikes!

I thought ND doesn't want to join a conference (although they are part of the ACC). As long as they are given their own TV contract and Big Ten teams are still willing to play (and share revenue with) them, why would they?

It's possible the path to the playoff hits a brick wall without membership in certain conferences after the current contract is up after the 2025 season depending how realignment goes between now and then.

It's possible the path to the playoff hits a brick wall without membership in certain conferences after the current contract is up after the 2025 season depending how realignment goes between now and then.
Agreed. It won't be too long before you are down to 4 major conferences, each sending their champion or possibly just the SEC and Big 10 doing their own championship game as the quarter final.

Reactions: rrdd2021
If FSU is rising in football then the SEC will be interested. Florida and FSU is definitely a good rivalry. Has been a bit diminished due to both programs not being that great but remember the Bowden, Spurrier days? SEC would love to reignite that again. FSU is pretty good in hoops too.

I can see the B10 going hard for UNC and probably Duke as a package deal to stake claim in the southeast. Two great academic schools will bolster the conference reputation. I think the B10 beats out the SEC for UNC. UNC does not want to join a football factory conference with the likes of LSU, yikes!
We'll see what happens. I can't see Florida or the SEC wanting FSU.

I also don't see Duke being wanted by either conference.

Agreed. It won't be too long before you are down to 4 major conferences, each sending their champion or possibly just the SEC and Big 10 doing their own championship game as the quarter final.
Don't underestimate Notre Dump's stubborness, greediness and arrogance. They will push around the media dopes for as long as they can to avoid joining a conference. Who knows when their gravy train ends, perhaps when they hit some down years and are not as haughty.

Don't underestimate Notre Dump's stubborness, greediness and arrogance. They will push around the media dopes for as long as they can to avoid joining a conference. Who knows when their gravy train ends, perhaps when they hit some down years and are not as haughty.
That's why the SEC/Big Ten create their own playoff and just officially make everyone else irrelevant officially.

Let's hope they push it long enough to be left out in the cold or have their reputation diminished by having the big 10 and sec ignore them for scheduling.

They’ve recognized it.

“The loss of a committed broadcast partner, the loss of a fair route into the postseason, or such an adverse financial consequence that you had to reconsider,”

Contrary to what most things, with the Big Ten, it isn't all about money.

Rutgers and Maryland weren't added to self fund themselves. They were added for academic reasons. Both are great schools and both provide avenues to new research funding sources ....
I don't know how much this matters... but if by chance it does, U of Washington is traditionally one of the top research institutions in the country, FWIW.

I don't know how much this matters... but if by chance it does, U of Washington is traditionally one of the top research institutions in the country, FWIW.

Nobody really knows right now. It's constantly changing. Big 12 just invited Colorado back after being the worst team in the Pac for their entire run essentially because...reasons?

Unclear. Certainly wasn't for a winning program. Highly doubt their ratings are good, being that they have stunk and been in the West Coast death slot for a decade.

So why? I'd love to hear reasons. I don't grasp it.

We’ve had a discussion about Oregon/Washington/other Pac-12 schools joining the ACC on our board. Here’s my thoughts:

-

In my opinion, it will come down to three things:

1) What is ESPN willing to do/pay to keep Oregon and Washington away from FOX? Is it worth paying more to keep them than it would be if they stayed in the Pac-12 or moved to the Big 12?
2) What will their obligations be re: the media contract for adding two (or more) schools to the ACC? Will they be required to re-negotiate the contract? Likewise, will it open up the Grant of Rights, potentially being forced to pay more for existing brands (if they leave for the SEC) or lose them altogether (by joining the Big Ten)?
3) Will moving Oregon, Washington, and anyone else from the Pac-12 into the ACC generate ESPN more (or more enough) revenue via the ACC Network? I’m assuming the channel has automatic carriage pickups if the conference expands into California, Oregon, Washington, etc.

I’d be particularly interested in no. 3 because I think that’s the key for the ACC’s long-term viability. ESPN has invested hundreds of millions into the conference with the ACCN. They likely recognize that if the ACC blows up, it will impact ESPN in two ways:

1. Lose several key brands to the Big Ten/FOX
2. They’d be left with a cable channel that immediately becomes a money-guzzling operations with no hope for future viability.

If there’s truly going to be a “Power 2” and everybody else, wouldn’t it make sense for ESPN to push the most valuable remaining programs from the Big 12/Pac-12 to the ACC where they have several existing prominent brands and an established linear network? I suppose it’d be pretty easy to “pull the plug” in the event the conference blows up, but I think they’d much rather have the ACC survive in its current state than any other conference not named the SEC.

We’ve had a discussion about Oregon/Washington/other Pac-12 schools joining the ACC on our board. Here’s my thoughts:

-

In my opinion, it will come down to three things:

1) What is ESPN willing to do/pay to keep Oregon and Washington away from FOX? Is it worth paying more to keep them than it would be if they stayed in the Pac-12 or moved to the Big 12?
2) What will their obligations be re: the media contract for adding two (or more) schools to the ACC? Will they be required to re-negotiate the contract? Likewise, will it open up the Grant of Rights, potentially being forced to pay more for existing brands (if they leave for the SEC) or lose them altogether (by joining the Big Ten)?
3) Will moving Oregon, Washington, and anyone else from the Pac-12 into the ACC generate ESPN more (or more enough) revenue via the ACC Network? I’m assuming the channel has automatic carriage pickups if the conference expands into California, Oregon, Washington, etc.

I’d be particularly interested in no. 3 because I think that’s the key for the ACC’s long-term viability. ESPN has invested hundreds of millions into the conference with the ACCN. They likely recognize that if the ACC blows up, it will impact ESPN in two ways:

1. Lose several key brands to the Big Ten/FOX
2. They’d be left with a cable channel that immediately becomes a money-guzzling operations with no hope for future viability.

If there’s truly going to be a “Power 2” and everybody else, wouldn’t it make sense for ESPN to push the most valuable remaining programs from the Big 12/Pac-12 to the ACC where they have several existing prominent brands and an established linear network? I suppose it’d be pretty easy to “pull the plug” in the event the conference blows up, but I think they’d much rather have the ACC survive in its current state than any other conference not named the SEC.
I know that you spent some serious time and effort on this post. But in any future ones I’d omit any references and discussions about the ACC. Frankly, no here gives a flying fu$k wether the ACC survives or not.

I know that you spent some serious time and effort on this post. But in any future ones I’d omit any references and discussions about the ACC. Frankly, no here gives a flying fu$k wether the ACC survives or not.
This 100%. I believe any CF fan with half a brain pretty much realizes that the ACC and PAC 12 (or whatever it is now) is eventually toast. The scramble for teams in those two leagues to get into the B1G or SEC will be comical to watch in the next 2 to 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT