ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

I don't understand what even happened. how do you misjudge that?
Looked like a Little League play where the kid runs in right away because he doesn't know how to read the ball.

Unfortunately the team defense this year has been incredibly bad....if they could just be average the first place lead would be over 5 games

It would be nice if they could get a helmet that fits Knapp’s head. He stinks by the way.

Just returned from the game and my observations:
  1. Santana is a complete bust. Guessing he cruises through the first two years of his contract before magically playing better during his contract year.
  2. Kingery and Quinn are minor league players at best. I know Quinn hasn't been up long, but he looks completely overmatched at the plate.
  3. Nola pitched incredible against one of (if not) the best offenses in MLB. He deserved better and if not for Odubels bone headed plays could have gotten the win.
  4. These lacks in the fundamentals, most noteably base running and holding runners on. I think Hunter forgot there was a runner on.
  5. This team strikes out way, way, way too many times.
  6. Somebody on this team needs to figure out how to get a clutch hit. So many opportunities with runners on and no one comes through.
It amazes me how this team is still leading the NL East.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
I am so sick of these guys not doing their job....Santana should have bunted in the 9th or 10th after the leadoff walk to Oduble then he scores on Franco's single and Phils win....Just bad fundamental baseball....you would think the king of Analytics(Kapler) would know when you need to sac bunt! Especially when the guys at the plate is flat out sucking!

Reactions: psuno1
Hey guys. Have had a busy summer and when I've had time. Honestly, I've watched the Sox this season and that's about it. Seen an inning or two from Nola here or there. Listen on radio if I'm on a short drive. I knew he was having a great season. He was fantastic last night. Sox
were lucky to score even a run on him. Dominated them. No hard contact all night. Great control and mix of pitches.

Speaking of bunts. I wanted to turn the game off when Holt lead off with a double in bottom of 8th in a 1-1 game. I'm not a bunt guy. But, that was an opportunity to win the game. Sox 9th place hitter Leon is in a terrible slump and pop-ups. Ugh. Mookie did strike out after that. But, it's still dumb. And, puts even more pressure on the pitcher with infield in.

Sorry for the length, apologize in advance.

It has been a fascinating summer watching this team. I’ve been amazed at their ability to be in the position they are currently in. After watching them absolutely stink for the month of March, I had them for 71-73 wins. Their pitching was bad, their pen was a disaster, and they could not hit. A review of the scored spring games also illustrated an alarming number of dropped third strikes with 1-3 scoring for strikeouts.

My observations -

First the positive which has been starting pitching. Nola has emerged as a top of the rotation stopper, ace, whatever you want to call him. Pivetta, Vince, and Eflin have all had nice extended runs which give great hope if they continue to build and get better. Jake is not the Jake of Cy Young vintage but has been solid. The pen has got its footing and has a lot of live arms but in today’s game, every pen arm throws 95 plus. Dominguez, Arano, Ramos, Garcia might be a start to a nice pen going forward. But without Seranthony coming out of nowhere, it would have been a disaster. They also have nice pitching depth in the minors so that is a positive as well going forward.

Now for the painful parts.

This team has got to this point on the back of its pitching, you don’t have to be Einstein to know this. But look at their run differential. It’s amazing given their record. Hard to think that holds up. They have won a disproportionate amount of 1 run games which is a tough way to play and that evens out. If the starting pitching is not way above average, this team is in for some hurt. Take out the blowout wins and their run differential might actually be close to zero or negative. That’s amazing for a team 10-15 games over .500. Just look at Cubs run differential.

Their hitting IMO is pretty easy to digest. The organization stresses the notion of grinding out AB’s and getting to the opposing pen. That’s fine on it’s face. But the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball and that task is next to impossible for many with 2 strikes in the count with guys who throw 98 with secondary pitches. They have a youngish lineup and they are asking kids without a lot of background to take pitches and hit with deep counts. That’s REALLY hard. They have two players with some ability to do that - Cesar and Santana. Hoskins comments coming out after the break were interesting - the desire to be more aggressive. Rhys has the ability to hit deeper into the count but I was really interested by his statement. Does that mean being aggressive earlier? You then have a ton of younger players who just aren’t accomplished. Kingery for example has been disappointing and I put that as being buried in the count too often. You want a metric to illustrate this. Look at the metric of soft contact. The Phillies are near the top of that category. Too much simply protecting and trying to make contact when deep in the count. I understand what they are doing but I simply question if these guys are ready for the approach preached. Soft contact and a ton of K’s are an interesting byproduct of the approach the organization stresses. The one guy who seems to buck that trend is Nick. Nick traditionally let’s it fly early and his recent results suggest being aggressive early ain’t such a bad idea. Their offense also has difficulty bunching hits together. Is this ability, approach, or a combo? Their approach is to equate a walk with a hit at times to create leverage on their opponent. I get it but that is still tough trying to beat out walks when pitches you can maybe drive and start big innings are simply hitting the catchers mitt. Their inability to manufacture runs, run in general, bunt, and hit and run is a combo of where the game is as well as approach. Cesar is lightning fast, Odubel can run, Kingery can run, etc. The modern game does not want to give up outs, I get it. But you have to scratch a run out when needed. They can’t do it. Especially in post season when you will face better arms, it’s critical to be able to score in as many ways as possible. Very alarming. People will focus on Santana and rightfully so but if it went the other way out of the gate, they would have a glaring hole in the outfield right now if Hoskins was at first and no Santana. So I think it’s a push but an expensive push currently with Santana’s lack of average hitting. The money down the drain doesn’t mean anything for this team now.

The biggest failure which is really concerning is their fielding. They have been horrendous. Those dropped third strikes out at first records in the spring scorebook were not just getting the rust off. I’ve always looked up the middle. Catcher, Second, Short, CF. Passable at second, the rest not so good. Nick is athletic so he covers up a bit, Rhys flat out scares me in left and I worry for his injury risk at times, and Franco does not have the explosion to his left that the good/Great ones have. Defensively they are passable at second and maybe third. That’s about it. That will kill them post season where games are tight.

Lastly, their base running needs improvement. Some of that is instinct but that is one area that can be coached up. Not sure they have that in place. I can’t say anyone has impressed me with their baserunning the entire season.

I give them props for their resilience and effort. They might be on to something but I think they are a year early to the party. Hopefully, this is not a one year flash for their starters but indicative of where they are and are going. They will get a big producer in the middle of their lineup in the offseason. Hopefully, that makes everyone better next year in the lineup. I’d like to see them be a bit more aggressive but it’s hard to argue with the results so far.

Just returned from the game and my observations:
  1. Santana is a complete bust. Guessing he cruises through the first two years of his contract before magically playing better during his contract year.
  2. Kingery and Quinn are minor league players at best. I know Quinn hasn't been up long, but he looks completely overmatched at the plate.
  3. Nola pitched incredible against one of (if not) the best offenses in MLB. He deserved better and if not for Odubels bone headed plays could have gotten the win.
  4. These lacks in the fundamentals, most noteably base running and holding runners on. I think Hunter forgot there was a runner on.
  5. This team strikes out way, way, way too many times.
  6. Somebody on this team needs to figure out how to get a clutch hit. So many opportunities with runners on and no one comes through.
It amazes me how this team is still leading the NL East.
1. Very frustrating, but his stats this year are way off his normal. I expect decline with age, but not this much. I would expect to see some regression to the norm at some point during the contract.
2. Waaaay too early to make that declaration.
3. very true
4. somewhat true, but not all players. I think you meant Garcia, but I don't see how he forgot a runner was on.
5. very very true
6. especially true last night.

Sorry for the length, apologize in advance.

It has been a fascinating summer watching this team. I’ve been amazed at their ability to be in the position they are currently in. After watching them absolutely stink for the month of March, I had them for 71-73 wins. Their pitching was bad, their pen was a disaster, and they could not hit. A review of the scored spring games also illustrated an alarming number of dropped third strikes with 1-3 scoring for strikeouts.

My observations -

First the positive which has been starting pitching. Nola has emerged as a top of the rotation stopper, ace, whatever you want to call him. Pivetta, Vince, and Eflin have all had nice extended runs which give great hope if they continue to build and get better. Jake is not the Jake of Cy Young vintage but has been solid. The pen has got its footing and has a lot of live arms but in today’s game, every pen arm throws 95 plus. Dominguez, Arano, Ramos, Garcia might be a start to a nice pen going forward. But without Seranthony coming out of nowhere, it would have been a disaster. They also have nice pitching depth in the minors so that is a positive as well going forward.

Now for the painful parts.

This team has got to this point on the back of its pitching, you don’t have to be Einstein to know this. But look at their run differential. It’s amazing given their record. Hard to think that holds up. They have won a disproportionate amount of 1 run games which is a tough way to play and that evens out. If the starting pitching is not way above average, this team is in for some hurt. Take out the blowout wins and their run differential might actually be close to zero or negative. That’s amazing for a team 10-15 games over .500. Just look at Cubs run differential.

Their hitting IMO is pretty easy to digest. The organization stresses the notion of grinding out AB’s and getting to the opposing pen. That’s fine on it’s face. But the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball and that task is next to impossible for many with 2 strikes in the count with guys who throw 98 with secondary pitches. They have a youngish lineup and they are asking kids without a lot of background to take pitches and hit with deep counts. That’s REALLY hard. They have two players with some ability to do that - Cesar and Santana. Hoskins comments coming out after the break were interesting - the desire to be more aggressive. Rhys has the ability to hit deeper into the count but I was really interested by his statement. Does that mean being aggressive earlier? You then have a ton of younger players who just aren’t accomplished. Kingery for example has been disappointing and I put that as being buried in the count too often. You want a metric to illustrate this. Look at the metric of soft contact. The Phillies are near the top of that category. Too much simply protecting and trying to make contact when deep in the count. I understand what they are doing but I simply question if these guys are ready for the approach preached. Soft contact and a ton of K’s are an interesting byproduct of the approach the organization stresses. The one guy who seems to buck that trend is Nick. Nick traditionally let’s it fly early and his recent results suggest being aggressive early ain’t such a bad idea. Their offense also has difficulty bunching hits together. Is this ability, approach, or a combo? Their approach is to equate a walk with a hit at times to create leverage on their opponent. I get it but that is still tough trying to beat out walks when pitches you can maybe drive and start big innings are simply hitting the catchers mitt. Their inability to manufacture runs, run in general, bunt, and hit and run is a combo of where the game is as well as approach. Cesar is lightning fast, Odubel can run, Kingery can run, etc. The modern game does not want to give up outs, I get it. But you have to scratch a run out when needed. They can’t do it. Especially in post season when you will face better arms, it’s critical to be able to score in as many ways as possible. Very alarming. People will focus on Santana and rightfully so but if it went the other way out of the gate, they would have a glaring hole in the outfield right now if Hoskins was at first and no Santana. So I think it’s a push but an expensive push currently with Santana’s lack of average hitting. The money down the drain doesn’t mean anything for this team now.

The biggest failure which is really concerning is their fielding. They have been horrendous. Those dropped third strikes out at first records in the spring scorebook were not just getting the rust off. I’ve always looked up the middle. Catcher, Second, Short, CF. Passable at second, the rest not so good. Nick is athletic so he covers up a bit, Rhys flat out scares me in left and I worry for his injury risk at times, and Franco does not have the explosion to his left that the good/Great ones have. Defensively they are passable at second and maybe third. That’s about it. That will kill them post season where games are tight.

Lastly, their base running needs improvement. Some of that is instinct but that is one area that can be coached up. Not sure they have that in place. I can’t say anyone has impressed me with their baserunning the entire season.

I give them props for their resilience and effort. They might be on to something but I think they are a year early to the party. Hopefully, this is not a one year flash for their starters but indicative of where they are and are going. They will get a big producer in the middle of their lineup in the offseason. Hopefully, that makes everyone better next year in the lineup. I’d like to see them be a bit more aggressive but it’s hard to argue with the results so far.
Not sure how you can spend 4 times as much space on the negatives for a team in first place that has way exceeded expectations. Relax and try to enjoy a season that has been pretty good so far.

As a Reds fan, let me ask a question to you Phillies fans. What was your impression of the Reds this weekend? Beyond your team not playing up to your expectations and all, what about the Reds?
Had they not had that extremely awful start, the Reds would have been making some noise in the NL Central. They can hit. I'm not a Reds fan per se (Phillies), but have been part of the Opening Day tradition there for over 30 years. The last one I missed was 1982.

Had they not had that extremely awful start, the Reds would have been making some noise in the NL Central. They can hit. I'm not a Reds fan per se (Phillies), but have been part of the Opening Day tradition there for over 30 years. The last one I missed was 1982.

Very cool tradition.

Not sure how you can spend 4 times as much space on the negatives for a team in first place that has way exceeded expectations. Relax and try to enjoy a season that has been pretty good so far.

There are Red Sox fans who biatch about Alex Cora and Dave Dombrowski. Can't help themselves. I guess they'd be bettter running the team than the current management that has the team at 75-33.

Reactions: Grant Green
Just heard Gabe had a Phil's fan ejected from the game last night. Apparently he was doing the job that Kapler gets paid to do. Coaching Herrera, where's this man's leadership skills. Boneheaded plays by many players and they continue to repeat them.

Last edited:
Phils also just picked up reliever Aaron Loup from Toronto.
Loup, a left-handed reliever, is not having a real good season! His current splits are: .271 vs LHB, .325 vs RHB. I guess the Phils just needed a lefty, any lefty, in the pen. Questionable deal.

It’s conversation dude, relax. Didn’t know it was illegal.

Just HAPPY were not the Orioles, don't know what happened to that team. They just finished dismantling any talent they had today.

Swihart has a howitzer. Only a perfect throw would have gotten Quinn on the steal attempt. Guess what? Perfect throw. Even though Quinn has been caught twice this series I like the willingness to try for the steal. That offensive dimension has been missing.

Lack of clutch hitting is going to bite them. Someone needs to step up. 11 LOB vs. 5 LOB for Boston through 7.5.

Swihart has a howitzer. Only a perfect throw would have gotten Quinn on the steal attempt. Guess what? Perfect throw. Even though Quinn has been caught twice this series I like the willingness to try for the steal. That offensive dimension has been missing.

Could not agree more. I have no problem Quinn getting thrown out. Make them make that perfect throw. Raise some hell on the bases.

Dominguez has first two men buried in the count, walks one, hits the other...just to make it exciting, he then gets Mookie to pop up sandwiched between two strikeouts for the save!

Last edited:
Called 3rd strike for the 3rd out, and Seranthony gets the save. Phil's win 3-1. Arietta with a nice job as the starter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT