ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Scott Franzke and Kevin Jordan were talking about it on the radio last night and said it was 1998. Three different guys had two homers. One was Rico Brogna. Kevin Sefcik and Marlon Anderson were also mentioned. Oh, and Bobby Estalella, too.

And while I'm at it: I don't hate Gabe Kapler anymore. (See earlier post from April or May). Getting used to him, I guess.)

So what trades are left for the Phils to make....SS, OF, RP???

I think Phils have to get another right handed outfield bat to provide some depth behind Williams against tough lefties and as a pinch hitter. And then go out and upgrade the utility infield position as Valentin is bad. Both should be easy players to pick up on expiring contracts for not much in return.

I think Phils have to get another right handed outfield bat to provide some depth behind Williams against tough lefties and as a pinch hitter. And then go out and upgrade the utility infield position as Valentin is bad. Both should be easy players to pick up on expiring contracts for not much in return.

That's why I like Jones....if they can get him cheap. Allows for better defense in late innings, a veteran bat and clubhouse guy.

Gives Gabe more options by having Rhys play first in some games if Santanna doesn't pick it up and continues to struggle(He has looked much better in the second half)

I love Williams and have thought he should have been starting since the beginning of the season over Altherr.

Another name to remember is Roman Quinn who is back playing again and ptting up good numbers in AAA and has always been highly regarded and can flat out fly! Just has ro stay healthy and that has been his big problem.

Phils acquire Asdrubal Cabrera
Rare intradivision deal. Interesting. Kilome has potential but Klentak must have felt some of the other young arms were just as good.

Cabrera's contract is up at the end of this season. Makes sense given the trade deal.

Last edited:
Hate to give up Kilome, but they needed a bat badly.

Big arm but many think others have higher ceiling. But he obviously has interest since he was alleged to have been on the the Orioles radar as well. But this is a good move for the Phils. Quinn and Kingery will be nice bench players but both will play a bunch as well. Phils got better today.

Reds with the error on the double play ball, giving the Phils 1st & 2nd, and 1 out ub the top of the 9th. @Relayer's favorite Phil, Valentin, comes up, and pops up. Good grief. Phils did plate one runner on Hernandez's flair, but then Hoskins grounds to third and the Red get a force out at 2nd. 6-4, Phils fall to the Reds.

Perhaps even Kapler is sick of watching Valentin at bat. I realize Gabe always stresses the positive, but it's kind of hard to substantiate what he said to MLB.com's Todd Zolecki. Roman Quinn has potential, but can't stay healthy. The "best bench weapon in baseball?" I just don't see that.

Plesac's Sleestaks. Unheralded fan group.

latest

Rare intradivision deal. Interesting. Kilome has potential but Klentak must have felt some of the other young arms were just as good.

Cabrera's contract is up at the end of this season. Makes sense given the trade deal.
One of the Phillies GREATEST deals was with the METS! It was Juan Samuel (maybe others?) for "the dude" Lenny Dykstra and Roger McDowell. Am I right here gang?

I know we're in 1st place, but, I wouldn't be surprised if Cesar Hernandez isn't traded! I know a month or two ago when Seattle lost the "banned" 35-year old Robinson Cano, they were very interested in Hernandez. Now, after seeing the current "carousel" of lead off hitters, anything is possible. Move Kingery to 2nd, stick Cabrera at SS, and go from there. Also, there are many possibilities looming: Kingery (OF/2B/3B/SS), Cabrera (2B/SS/3B), Crawford (SS/3B), Franco (1B/3B).
It's just a thought after the Cabrera deal.

I know we're in 1st place, but, I wouldn't be surprised if Cesar Hernandez isn't traded! I know a month or two ago when Seattle lost the "banned" 35-year old Robinson Cano, they were very interested in Hernandez. Now, after seeing the current "carousel" of lead off hitters, anything is possible. Move Kingery to 2nd, stick Cabrera at SS, and go from there. Also, there are many possibilities looming: Kingery (OF/2B/3B/SS), Cabrera (2B/SS/3B), Crawford (SS/3B), Franco (1B/3B).

If they can get something decent in return, sounds like a good deal to me. Sell high. If Phils believe Crawford and Kingery are the future middle infielders, then if you can get more in return that what you gave up for Cabrera, seems like it would be a good move.

Reactions: BrianS

Kapler absolutely loves Cesar. I would say of all the Phillies, he has been most surprised of Cesar’s play. Unless i have heard incorrectly or Gabe’s opinion has changed, I would be very surprised at a trade involving Cesar.

Kapler absolutely loves Cesar. I would say of all the Phillies, he has been most surprised of Cesar’s play. Unless i have heard incorrectly or Gabe’s opinion has changed, I would be very surprised at a trade involving Cesar.
Ok. Thanks for that mrtailgate.

As a coach you need to maximize the at bats for ball players that produce. Fiddling with this lineup everyday messes with the ball players heads. Cesar sitting, Hoskins still in leftfield and double digit strikeouts again for our hitters. ??????

Really ugly couple of games for the Phils. Laid a complete egg today. Zero energy.

As a Reds fan, let me ask a question to you Phillies fans. What was your impression of the Reds this weekend? Beyond your team not playing up to your expectations and all, what about the Reds?

Need to get Santanna out of the lineup he is AWFUL!!! Cabrera did absolutely nothing in 2 games as well.

Need to put Hoskins at first and get rid of Santana.....going to be tough though paying him 20 million a year for 3 years and he's hitting a whopping .210!

Also, I never want to see Hunter pitch in a game again...I mean when hitters are hitting at a near .300 clip against you, you should not be in games that matter.

....Both off season free agent signings are the worst players on the team right now and have been all year.

Shows the front office has no clue. Trying to replicate what the Cubs are doing, they don't bat a 210 hitter leadoff. Hit your proven bats at the top of the order and Santana 8 or 9. These signings are crazy, why was Kingery at ss and Cabrera at 2nd

Need to get Santanna out of the lineup he is AWFUL!!! Cabrera did absolutely nothing in 2 games as well.

Need to put Hoskins at first and get rid of Santana.....going to be tough though paying him 20 million a year for 3 years and he's hitting a whopping .210!

Also, I never want to see Hunter pitch in a game again...I mean when hitters are hitting at a near .300 clip against you, you should not be in games that matter.

....Both off season free agent signings are the worst players on the team right now and have been all year.

i have no idea what to do with Santana as his contract is so bad, it was dumb when they signed it and now that he is playing below his average, it just looks horrible. Maybe start to play Hoskins at first and give Quinn some starts in the outfield and see what he can do. but i just don't think the Phils upper management will allow it.

i have no idea what to do with Santana as his contract is so bad, it was dumb when they signed it and now that he is playing below his average, it just looks horrible. Maybe start to play Hoskins at first and give Quinn some starts in the outfield and see what he can do. but i just don't think the Phils upper management will allow it.
So bad?? It has two years left on it. Only 3. In baseball terms that’s nothing. Bonilla still gets paid. Imagine what you would’ve done to get Howard on only s 3 year extension

As a Reds fan, let me ask a question to you Phillies fans. What was your impression of the Reds this weekend? Beyond your team not playing up to your expectations and all, what about the Reds?

Some professional hitters. It seemed like the Reds were putting their lead off hitter on base every inning. Looks like your starting pitching needs some upgrades and you need another power hitting outfielder. Infield is solid but Votto is obviously closer to the end than the beginning. How is your farm? Do you have assets that can contribute going forward?

definitely improved from what we saw in the early season

Well, they had E. Suarez this time around. And, oh by the way, they didn't have Winker this time around.

The Reds can hit, too bad (for them) they (usually) don't have the rock solid starting pitching to go with the hitting.

I hate it when opposing fans refer to the Reds or any other team they see is in last place but they don't follow as "garbage." Ignorant. If you don't know (and you don't), keep your mouth shut.

Some terrible base running their by Herrara.....but ultimately Santana FAILED again.

Guy is killing the team

1st inning Hoskins at second Santana first pitch POP UP
3rd Innning First and Third...weak founder to 3rd led to double play with bad base running, but still very weakly hit in a big spot.

Got to get him out of the 4 hole....Bench is looking better and better!

Heck I'd rather Nick Williams be playing tonight facing the lefty over him.

Quinn, Herrera, Williams in the OF...Hoskins at first

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT