ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

That ball has to be caught. Just an awful play by hoskins

Agree 100%. Hoskins is such a liability in left field. Notice the announcers don't say a word. Davis, "that ball just kept carrying." Give me a break.

That ball has to be caught. Just an awful play by hoskins

agreed. It was not a difficult play. Hoskins seemed to be confused by the spin of the ball coming off the lefthander's bat, and seemed to be terrified of running into the wall. So he doesn't touch the wall, and also doesn't put any leather on the ball.

Other than the solo HR, the Phils' D is hurting them more than anything else. It would also help if the Phils would string together a couple of hits.

Did you guys catch this gem last night?

McCarthy: “Nice job by the Dodgers bullpen tonight. They have retired every batter.” Davis: “And they haven’t given up any hits.”

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
A few things here.

First, that pop fly was the centerfielder's ball. @Relayer's favorite Phillie, Jesmuel Valentin, is playing SS tonight. You could see on the replay that Herrera was calling all the way for the ball, but Valentin did not move out of the way until the last second. The fault was not with Herrera on that play, IMHO.

Second, on the tag-up by Machado last night, Herrera didn't "half ass" his throw to the play. It seemed to me that he had trouble getting a grip on the ball, so he did take an extra step on the play. As for the throw, I believe Herrera had some bad luck on it. I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that the ball hit the front half of the pitching mound enroute to Alfaro, and that cut the speed of the throw. Had the throw been to the 3rd-base-side of home plate, Machado may have been out. It certainly would have been close.

He looked like a little leaguer in that AB. Seriously, this team is so weak off the bench. Last night we hung our hopes on Knapp in the 9th.

He looked like a little leaguer in that AB.

absolutely agree. He didn't come close to any of the breaking balls. Not a lot of pitchers in the bigs throw flat fastballs, so I'm not sure if he's ever going to be a good hitter in the bigs. He's in tonight because Kingery has been struggling with his bat as well. Hard to believe that they may be hoping for JP to help them out, offensively, at SS when he comes off the DL.

Team came out of the break looking as bad as they did going in. I was hoping the week off would do them some good. Hard to blame Hoskins for being forced into a role he's ill-prepared to play. He's a butcher in the OF, but this is what they wanted, so...here it is.

The number of gift runs they allow is a major concern but by the same token they can't hit their way out of a shizhouse. Other than that they're in good shape. :D

I'm down in Houston this week and have the game on MLB TV in the hotel.

The LA pitcher is mowing them down although the Phils batters are helping him. They're all looking for the heat and the guy keeps throwing mush and getting them out.

Helps that Atlanta lost today.

I'm down in Houston this week and have the game on MLB TV in the hotel.

The LA pitcher is mowing them down although the Phils batters are helping him. They're all looking for the heat and the guy keeps throwing mush and getting them out.

Helps that Atlanta lost today.

Guys like this destroy the Phillies. The Marlins threw this Trevor Richards, a 3-5 (I guess 2-5 at that time) rookie against them right before the break and he looked like the walking incarnation of Cy Young with his 78 mph changeup that he threw about 80% of the time. Great mix against his devastating 90 mph fastball.

Franco with a double to score Santana, and then Alfaro goes yard for a 2-run HR, and it's a 4-4 tie in bottom of the 7th. We have ourselves a new ballgame, after the Phils played like crap for the 1st 2/3 of the game. ;)

Valentin almost delivers in the bottom of the 9th, but the Dodgers shift took away a promising swing. Santana lead off the 9th with a double, and while the Phils got a guy on due to a walk, after 3 outs Santana was still on 2nd. This team is so hot and cold when it comes to clutch hitting. :(

Yes. It was mentioned on the Phillies broadcast however that he has no sacrifice bunts in his entire career. Yes he should bunt but we're living in 1979 dude, that day is gone.
Yeah, if the guy can't bunt, it ain't the time to ask him to do it.

But when you get the winning run on second with no out, and he dies there, that's not so hot either.

It is hard to believe a playoff-worthy team would not have a better option than Valentin on the bench available to pinch hit. You don’t let a guy batting a buck eighty hit there.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
It is hard to believe a playoff-worthy team would not have a better option than Valentin on the bench available to pinch hit. You don’t let a guy batting a buck eighty hit there.

agreed. If Crawford were not on the IR, and Altherr hadn't lost his stroke, Valentin was still be in AAA. He's an OK defensive replacement, but he's not shown that he can hit in the bigs. The Phils' bench was suspect to begin the season, and the aforementioned issues, plus Kingery's recent slump, does really make things challenging when Kapler is looking for a hit from the bench.

agreed. If Crawford were not on the IR, and Altherr hadn't lost his stroke, Valentin was still be in AAA. He's an OK defensive replacement, but he's not shown that he can hit in the bigs. The Phils' bench was suspect to begin the season, and the aforementioned issues, plus Kingery's recent slump, does really make things challenging when Kapler is looking for a hit from the bench.

Not to mention the injury to the great Pete Florimon.

Nice to have Neshek back in the pen. He looked pretty good in the top of the 11th.

The ball girl in the left field corner didn't look so good fielding that fair ball. I thought they were instructed to always look at the 3rd base umps signal before fielding the ball. ;)

Team came out of the break looking as bad as they did going in. I was hoping the week off would do them some good. Hard to blame Hoskins for being forced into a role he's ill-prepared to play. He's a butcher in the OF, but this is what they wanted, so...here it is.

The number of gift runs they allow is a major concern but by the same token they can't hit their way out of a shizhouse. Other than that they're in good shape. :D
And yet, the Phillies have 20 more wins after 99 games than last season. They are 25.5 games better in the standings, too. I’m happy with this season. AAA IS 60-39.

Bottom of 13th. Hoskins leads off with a walk. Herrara spanks a 1-2 pitch, but right at the RFielder. Santana crushes a ball down the 1st base line, it's off the 1Baseman's glove, but the ump calls it foul. Debatable play, but it's not reviewable. He ends up hitting into a FC, so 2 out and man on 1st. The Phils send out Zack Eflin (starting pitcher) to PH??? And he goes down on 3 pitches. On to the 14th inning.

Wasn't sure if bunting and stealing are still legal.

The A's are having a great season, down 10-2 they rally for a 13-10 win over Texas. I see our old friend Jake Diekman gave up 3 earned and only retired one batter. Familia must like his new home, 2 perfect innings tonight.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
14th inning. Williams leads off, and bounces a ball to the left side that gets past Machado, as the Dodgers were playing a semi-shift against Williams. Valentin follows. Seems like a bunt situation, but he takes a called strike. Then he fouls off a pitch, so I guess he's not bunting. He flares the 3rd pitch to center, so Williams has to hold at 1st. (So Valentin not bunting hurts the Phils.) Dodgers make a double switch, and bring in their closer, Kenley Jansen. (Why bring in the closer at this point?) Dodgers play Alfaro practically on the warning track in the OF. Alfaro gets a ball, then takes strike 1, and then strike 2. He then fouls the next pitch into the catcher's glove for a SO. Plouffe comes to the plate with 2 out. He skies it to CF, so we're on to the 15th inning. Is that 3 or 4 straight innings that the Phils have gotten the leadoff hitter on, and failed to score?

15th inning. Hernandez leads off -- his 7th AB in tonight's game. (These guys play an afternoon game tomorrow, weather permitting.) Valesquez is warming up in the pen for the Phils, as they are out of RP, excluding Seranthony, who they are not pitching tonight. Hernandez strikes out swinging, 1 down. Hoskins the next batter for the Phils. He crushes one into the LF corner, and gets a double. Man on 2nd, and 1 out. Time for the Phils to drive in a runner in extra innings. Herrera gets the intentional walk, so it's 1st & 2nd, with 1 out. Santana is next to bat. He tops a slow ball to 1st base, runners advance, so there are 2 outs. Batter is relief pitcher Austin Davis. The intentional walk worked for the Dodgers. This is Davis' 3rd AB in MLB. He's quickly down 1-2 in the count. He fouls off a pitch. And then he fans on high heat, so the Phils leave 2 on, and we're headed to the 16th inning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT