• Motörhead
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Soundgarden
  • T. Rex
  • Thin Lizzy

DMB (although they could wait another year or so)
Depeche Mode
Doobie Brothers
Kraftwerk
NIN

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Pat Benatar, Dave Matthews Band, The Doobie Brothers, Moorhead, The Notorious B.I.G., Soundgarden, T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, and Whitney Houston are first-time nominees. Depeche Mode was previously nominated twice, Judas Priest was nominated once (2018), Kraftwerk has previously nominated five times, MC5 was previously nominated four times, Nine Inch Nails was previously nominated two times, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan was previously nominated three times, and Todd Rundgren was previously nominated once (last year).

• Pat Benatar
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Judas Priest
  • Kraftwerk
  • MC5
  • Motörhead
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Soundgarden
  • T. Rex
  • Thin Lizzy

Whitney is in without a doubt. That leaves four - my short list is:

- NIN
- Depeche Mode
- DMB
- T. Rundgren
- Pat Benatar
- Kraftwerk
- Notorious BIG

I think NIN makes sense, especially since Reznor sort of walked back his stance on the RRHOF honor when inducting The Cure last year; NIN got it's start in Cleveland (even though he's a PA boy) and had a massive impact on pop/modern culture; not to mention two essential albums of the genre (Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral).

Before NIN, Depeche Mode should be in - pioneers of the post-punk alternative dance scene, more radio friendly hits than others in the genre, and hugely influential. They're long overdue (AS IS JOY DIVISION!!). They could clear the way for The Smiths too.

DMB is a no brainer, as is Rundgren (I would think).

Benatar is the only 'rocker chick' on the list and she had a lot of hits - good case for her.

Kraftwerk is maybe too niche but they paved the way for bands like NIN; very little critical acclaim in the U.S. and most folks don't know them. They should be in, but probably won't be.

Notorious BIG is considered one of the best ever in his genre, and his 'story' might help his cause. Not to mention the RRHOF knows Puff Daddy and others will put on a massive show for him if inducted.

A colleague of mine has a vote, so if anyone feels strongly about a particular nominee and wants to articulate why they are deserving, feel free to post here and I'll pass it along.

NIN should get it. Not only for technical and artistic accomplishments, but for pushing the industry forward concerning the use of technology (computers) in recording, setting the modern standard for live rock concerts, and for Reznor's undeniable impact on modern pop culture. He's scored/produced several memorable film soundtracks (Natural Born Killers, Lost Highway, The Social Network, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Ken Burns Vietnam Documentary, upcoming Watchmen for HBO), has won Grammys and an Oscar, was Chief Creative Officer at Apple Music after the BEATS by Dre acquisition, and won awards for video game soundtracks as well. Not to mention the first ever independently produced album to hit platinum (Pretty Hate Machine) and one of the best alternative/industrial/metal albums ever in The Downward Spiral. His collaboration/concert tour with Bowie remains a highlight too.

I guess my only question would be, is NIN in as *only* Reznor? Or does some of the performing band get in too? If I had a vote I'd go with Reznor's touring band from the TDS tour - Reznor, Finck, Lohner, Vrenna, and Closure.

nine-inch-nails-626x386.jpg

Reactions: wbcincy and 91Joe95
Whitney is in without a doubt. That leaves four - my short list is:

- NIN
- Depeche Mode
- DMB
- T. Rundgren
- Pat Benatar
- Kraftwerk
- Notorious BIG

I think NIN makes sense, especially since Reznor sort of walked back his stance on the RRHOF honor when inducting The Cure last year; NIN got it's start in Cleveland (even though he's a PA boy) and had a massive impact on pop/modern culture; not to mention two essential albums of the genre (Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral).

Before NIN, Depeche Mode should be in - pioneers of the post-punk alternative dance scene, more radio friendly hits than others in the genre, and hugely influential. They're long overdue (AS IS JOY DIVISION!!). They could clear the way for The Smiths too.

DMB is a no brainer, as is Rundgren (I would think).

Benatar is the only 'rocker chick' on the list and she had a lot of hits - good case for her.

Kraftwerk is maybe too niche but they paved the way for bands like NIN; very little critical acclaim in the U.S. and most folks don't know them. They should be in, but probably won't be.

Notorious BIG is considered one of the best ever in his genre, and his 'story' might help his cause. Not to mention the RRHOF knows Puff Daddy and others will put on a massive show for him if inducted.

Agree about NIN. The Smiths and Joy Division (New Order) not being in is criminal.

I think Kraftwerk becasue they were electronica and acid house before it even had a genre.

I don't know enough about RAP to offer an opinion, other than I don't like most of it. ;)

I like Todd Rungren but isn't he mostly noted for his Producing bands?

Agree about NIN. The Smiths and Joy Division (New Order) not being in is criminal.

I think Kraftwerk becasue they were electronica and acid house before it even had a genre.

I don't know enough about RAP to offer an opinion, other than I don't like most of it. ;)

I like Todd Rungren but isn't he mostly noted for his Producing bands?

He's done both and sort of pioneered the 'artist as producer' gig. He should be in if only for producing Meatloaf's 'Bat out of Hell' :).

I will repost what I said here on October 18, 2016.

Johnny Maestro, lead singer of the Crests and Brooklyn Bridge, should be in the Rock & Roll HOF. He is not. He has never even been nominated and that is absurd. The Crests were one of the few interracial groups in the early days of Rock n' Roll, and with Johnny on lead, their sound was as sweet as any. Hits like "Sixteen Candles", "Step By Step", and "The Angels Listened In", showcased Maestro's great talent. Emerging from the Doo Wop era, Johnny had a short lived solo career (producing 2 top 40 hits) and then became lead singer of The Brooklyn Bridge in the late 60's. The Bridge had hits like "Blessed Is The Rain", "The Worst That Could Happen" and "Welcome Me Love", in 4 years selling 10 million records. The singing aside, Johnny was a true gentleman, often a rare commodity in the record business. Stars like Dion, Paul Simon and Billy Joel support Johnny's induction. It is long overdue. Johnny died of cancer in 2010 at age 70. Rest In Peace.

I have been to the Hall. It's a great place, but the absence of Johnny Maestro devalues it.

Last edited:
I will repost what I said here on October 18, 2016.

Johnny Maestro, lead singer of the Crests and Brooklyn Bridge, should be in the Rock & Roll HOF. He is not. He has never even been nominated and that is absurd. The Crests were one of the few interracial groups in the early days of Rock n' Roll, and with Johnny on lead, their sound was as sweet as any. Hits like "Sixteen Candles", "Step By Step", and "The Angels Listened In", showcased Maestro's great talent. Emerging from the Doo Wop era, Johnny had a short lived solo career (producing 2 top 40 hits) and then became lead singer of The Brooklyn Bridge in the late 60's. The Bridge had hits like "Blessed Is The Rain", "The Worst That Could Happen" and "Welcome Me Love", in 4 years selling 10 million records. The singing aside, Johnny was a true gentleman, often a rare commodity in the record business. Stars like Dion, Paul Simon and Billy Joel support Johnny's induction. It is long overdue. Johnny died of cancer in 2010 at age 70. Rest In Peace.

I have been to the Hall. It's a great place, but the absence of Johnny Maestro devalues it.

Flag this for wb's friend.

Of all the bands listed NIN is the most influential. I realize a lot of people are not fans of their music but they changed rock, basically invented (or at least were the first mainstream band in their art) their own category of music.

Of all the bands listed NIN is the most influential. I realize a lot of people are not fans of their music but they changed rock, basically invented (or at least were the first mainstream band in their art) their own category of music.

and Krafwerk pretty much did the same thing with electronica.

• MC5
  • Soundgarden
  • T. Rex
  • Thin Lizzy
  • The doobies

I'm down with all of these. T Rex really didn't have enough cool songs but better than the rest. Dmb is ok but shouldn't get in right away and not over the others listed.

Pat Benatar
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Dave Matthews Band

Nobody else has done nearly enough as these artists.

Except maybe Todd.

NIN = not deserving
Glov: I'm guessing we are about the same age, since my list looks pretty much the same as yours. The only difference is that I do not think Todd is deserving, but I would probably add Depeche Mode..

I see a lot of support for Nine Inch Nails, and am guessing it's from younger posters. I think Dave Matthews Band is a lock to get in, but that they should have to wait a few more years.

LOL at TRex on this list. Can anyone, off the top of their head, name even one song of theirs other than Bang a Gong?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Glov: I'm guessing we are about the same age, since my list looks pretty much the identical to yours. The only difference is that I do not think Todd is deserving, but I would probably add Depeche Mode..

I see a lot of support for Nine Inch Nails, and am guessing it's from younger posters. I think Dave Matthews Band is a lock to get in, but that they should have to wait a few more years.

LOL at TRex on this list. Can anyone, off the top of their head, name even one song of theirs other than Bang a Gong?

I think TRex still, even at his age, wants to get it on! I do!! ;-)

Depeche Mode, I agonized over them. Todd, upon further review, should be in.

NIN = different but hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT