10. Todd Rundgren
11. Nine Inch Nails
12. T. Rex
13. The Notorious B.I.G.
14. Kraftwerk
15. Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan
16. MC5

Let's be brutally honest here:

A lot of Thin Lizzy, T. Rex, and Judas Pries fans are now D-E-A-D!

It makes me sad that MC5 is at the bottom so I pulled out my gold-label uncensored original pressing of Kick Out the Jams and rocked the F out. If they had a decent studio album or two they have a much better argument. One kick-ass live album probably isn't gonna do it.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Motorhead: the RnR HoF isn’t good enough for them ...

Best quote ever: “if Motorhead moved in next door to you- your lawn would die

- Lemmy Kilmister

I went out with a woman who I found out had been Lemmy's personal assistant as a roady on a tour some years previous. I would have never guessed it but was like wow !

final standings of the fan voting:

1. Dave Matthews Band (1,005,657)
2. Pat Benatar (882,207)
3. The Doobie Brothers (784,729)
4. Soundgarden (722,931)
5. Judas Priest (675,434)
6. Whitney Houston (593,374)
7. Depeche Mode (563,612)
8. Thin Lizzy (556,476)
9. Motorhead (512,918)
10. Todd Rundgren (440,898)
11. Nine Inch Nails (380,869)
12. T. Rex (365,290)
13. The Notorious B.I.G. (275,892)
14. Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan (166,596)
15. Kraftwerk (163,667)
16. MC5 (160,685)

Reactions: Bob78
If Soundgarden gets in, which they should, it will be interesting to see the interactions between Cornell’s wife and the remaining members given the lawsuit she filed against them.

Kudos to those that get in, but this class seems very underwhelming to me. Hope the Doobies get in.

final standings of the fan voting:

1. Dave Matthews Band (1,005,657)
2. Pat Benatar (882,207)
3. The Doobie Brothers (784,729)
4. Soundgarden (722,931)
5. Judas Priest (675,434)
6. Whitney Houston (593,374)
7. Depeche Mode (563,612)
8. Thin Lizzy (556,476)
9. Motorhead (512,918)
10. Todd Rundgren (440,898)
11. Nine Inch Nails (380,869)
12. T. Rex (365,290)
13. The Notorious B.I.G. (275,892)
14. Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan (166,596)
15. Kraftwerk (163,667)
16. MC5 (160,685)

I hope for the Doobies. Seeing that they are in the Top 5 gives me hope, but I don’t know what, if any, correlation there might be with fan voting.

I hope for the Doobies. Seeing that they are in the Top 5 gives me hope, but I don’t know what, if any, correlation there might be with fan voting.
For what it's worth, Todd Rundgren finished third in the fan vote last year and didn't get in. The rest of the artists in the top 5 of the fan vote from last year got in.

Looks pretty close to a list of who sold the most records- and that's never a good indicator of quality

DMB is a glorified jam band that for some reason people loved yet they aren't that good.

DMB is a glorified jam band that for some reason people loved yet they aren't that good.
How do you come to the conclusion that they “aren’t that good”? They are all very talented musicians with a tremendous track record of success, so I would be interested to know.

They do nothing special instrumentally. Nothing special vocally. Lyrics are generally all silly. Commercial success doesn't mean they're good.

They do nothing special instrumentally. Nothing special vocally. Lyrics are generally all silly. Commercial success doesn't mean they're good.
Your post is beyond silly. How many other rock bands are able to fuse together an electric guitar, acoustic guitar, violin, sax and trumpet? Who are you trying to kid? You are unfamiliar with their music beyond Crash.

Rory Gallagher apparently isn't in it.

That says all you need to know about it.

Your post is beyond silly. How many other rock bands are able to fuse together an electric guitar, acoustic guitar, violin, sax and trumpet? Who are you trying to kid? You are unfamiliar with their music beyond Crash.

That's really not that crazy of a combination. Violin has been used in rock songs for decades. Obviously sax and trumpet too.

Where are the Lemonheads as far as being eligible? That was a group (or really, Evan Dando) that made some great stuff in the 90s. Under-appreciated in my opinion.

Where are the Lemonheads as far as being eligible? That was a group (or really, Evan Dando) that made some great stuff in the 90s. Under-appreciated in my opinion.

I don't think they have the commercial success or mainstream appeal to get in. They were sort of 'fringy' at a time when their kind of music was really popular. Of their two biggest hits, one was a cover of 'Mrs. Robinson'. Good band though.

I don't think they have the commercial success or mainstream appeal to get in. They were sort of 'fringy' at a time when their kind of music was really popular. Of their two biggest hits, one was a cover of 'Mrs. Robinson'. Good band though.
I guess maybe they’re just a personal favorite of mine, like the Replacements. Some great stuff though.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Lots of great bands from that era - I wonder if Oasis will ever get on the ballot?

That’s a great band that I never really got into for no particular reason. But I loved everything I ever heard from them. My view of what was a hit during that era may be skewed by listening primarily to an “alternative” radio station back then. Specifically, 106.3 WHTG in Jersey where Matt Pinfield was the main DJ. He was phenomenal.

Not a Lemonheads fan I take it? May not be you style, but I loved their stuff in the 90s. After looking them up they didn’t have as many hits as I thought.

I thought they were OK/good. But if you put them in, you are basically saying put in anyone who ever got a song on the radio in the early 1990s.

Meanwhile, you have total absurdities like the omission of the Smiths, the Pixies, etc.

I thought they were OK/good. But if you put them in, you are basically saying put in anyone who ever got a song on the radio in the early 1990s.

Meanwhile, you have total absurdities like the omission of the Smiths, the Pixies, etc.
It’s tough to set a criteria for a music hall of fame. But if Guy Carbonneau belongs in the NHL hall of fame, the Lemonheads and both you mention belong in the hall of fame of their profession.

It’s tough to set a criteria for a music hall of fame. But if Guy Carbonneau belongs in the NHL hall of fame, the Lemonheads and both you mention belong in the hall of fame of their profession.

Also, I seem to remember that lead singer was a bit of a terrible person, but I don't remember the specifics

Also, I seem to remember that lead singer was a bit of a terrible person, but I don't remember the specifics

Evan Dando - yeah, known for taking Bijou Phillips' (John Phillips' daughter) virginity when she was 15 among other things...

Evan Dando - yeah, known for taking Bijou Phillips' (John Phillips' daughter) virginity when she was 15 among other things...
Well, if we’re going to keep morally challenged people out of the rock and roll hall of fame we might be left with The Hall of Paul Anka and Pat Boone. I believe Mick Jagger had his way with Mackenzie Phillips when she was the about the same age.
I stand corrected. Looks like she was 18 when it happened. This article tells the story, along with a more disturbing one.
https://nypost.com/2009/09/25/mackenzie-papas-pal-jagger-bedded-me/amp/

Last edited:

Not to mention being a top touring act for more than a quarter century, being on the road literally every single year in that time. That alone makes them worthy. Why shouldn't being a jam band qualify you for HoF? The place is for all types of genres. If rap is an acceptable genre for the Rock n Roll HoF, why wouldn't jam bands be?

Reactions: Lionguy32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT