ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Anyone ever visit any famous movie sights

PSU_522

Jan 1, 2019
Or have anywhere they would like to see that’s been featured in a movie, like the house from Home Alone or The Christmas Story etc?

Best I can do is the Philadelphia Art Museum steps. Guaranteed every time you go past, someone is running up the steps

Drove passed the Inn at Rodanthe on way to Outer Banks destination.

Several of the background scenery in Marley and Me ( shot in West Chester, PA)

Not much of a list, I know.

Stayed at the Grand Wailea where they filmed just go with it, I’m sure there are more but haven’t thought about it thoroughly.

Driven through intersections in Lancaster county that were in Witness. Saw house used for The Shining in Colorado.

I’ve been to Moundsville State Prison a couple of times and it’s been in some movies...most recently it was where the Hulu show Castle Rock was filmed.

01%20Eckley%20Main%20St.jpg

Lots of Haunted places I’d think, I’m sure I’ve been too some of the sites from Good Will Hunting and Hocus Pocus when I was in Mass. just can’t pinpoint them directly.

I sit and wait at the drawbridge in Smokey and the Bandit II almost daily thanks to all the yankees down here w/ their sailboats.

smokey-and-the-bandit-ii-DXK6YC.jpg

Actually most of that bad film was shot in either Jupiter (Burt's scenes) or Miami (Gleason's scenes). A lot of it was shot at Burt's ranch out west of Jupiter.

Reactions: PSU_522
Or have anywhere they would like to see that’s been featured in a movie, like the house from Home Alone or The Christmas Story etc?

The movie : The Third Man. Orson Welles.
Popped on by Vienna a few years ago.
Had to see the apartment/steps , where in the dead of night O W was hiding. Then appeared a kitty cat at his feet ,a meowing. Then you see OW's face, in a lighted camera shot, and he's smirking away.

A great movie. Loved that take/shot.

,,,cheers

Alcatraz Island, San Francisco., Escape from Alcatraz. Also, Point Dume, Malibu Beach, where the famous ending of Planet of the Apes was filmed.

Although not a famous movie setting, I lived about 8 miles south of Southfork, TX outside of Dallas, where the Southfork Ranch is located and the filming of the long running TV series Dallas/JR Ewing estate took place.

Alcatraz Island, San Francisco., Point Dume, Malibu Beach where the famous ending of Planet of the Apes was filmed.

Although not a famous movie setting, I also lived about 8 miles south of Southfork, TX outside of Dallas, where the Southfork Ranch is located and the filming of the long running TV series Dallas/JR Ewing estate took place.
That is cool!

There are still some events being held at the old Durham ballpark where "Bull Durham" was filmed. I've been to several.
I flew in a helicopter over the "prison" island off Hana, Hawaii, where "Papillon" (1973 version) was filmed.
There's a plaque outside the Del Coronado hotel near San Diego commemorating the "Some Like It Hot" scenes filmed with Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis.
The prison escape movie "On the Yard" (1978) was filmed at Rockview. (I've only seen it from the outside.)

I walked the bases where Field of Dreams was filmed and visited 1880 town where parts of Dances with Wolves was filmed.

I also stood on a corner in Winslow, Az.
"Such a fine site to see. "

Year's ago nephew picked up a Master's degree here at UCSD.
He said enough of California. Joined him on a drive back to Michigan.
On the way he insisted we drive through Winslow.
No girl's in a flatbed Ford that day.
Bout it.

Nephew's currently living the NYC life.

,,,cheers

My wife and I had lunch in the restaurant (French) in Manhattan where the restaurant scene in the French Connection was filmed. We must have looked like tourists because they sat exactly where the scene was filmed. I believe it was the corner of First and 61st.
Also, we ate Calamari at Umberto's Clam House which appears in The Irishman as the place where Crazy Joe Gallo was assassinated.

In Savannah, saw Forest Gump’s bench. Also, the Biltmore in Asheville, NC, has been in a number of movies, and we hiked Chimney Rock where they filmed Last of the Mohicans.
I’ve done those as well. Actually have a picture with a Gump impersonator on the bench.
Edit: Now that I think about it, a little past Chimney Rock is the town where they filmed Dirty Dancing. We did that as well.

Last edited:
I have been to the Eckley miners village they built for the movie. I grew up in North End of Wilkes-Barre and I remember when they were filming the movie, there was a helicopter that I saw daily that I was told ferried the cast and crew to and from their hotel to Hazleton. I was a big Sean Connery fan growing up and I have to content myself that flying in a helicopter at about 1000 ft over my house is the closest I will ever come to James Bond.

Wife and I basically did the ‘Sideways’ trip a few years ago en route to San Francisco. Ate at The Hitching Post and walked around Solvang and Buellton.
Did you get some magic dust? Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Sanford Pinot Noir is one of my favorites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT