ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Bowl desperately wants Penn State

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Link below.

Their CEO is practically begging the committee to send us to Atlanta:

>>First of all, we've never had Penn State in the Peach Bowl, so it would be great to host Penn State. Great brand, obviously great fans, great administration. I know James Franklin. He's a quality guy, and we'd like to work together with him during bowl week...I would say the reason Penn State makes sense for us is because they are a top-12 team in the country with a great defense. They'd probably have to be 10-2 with their only losses to two of the top three teams in the country. Their brand resonates for viewership. Their fans would flock to Atlanta, because they've never been here. And it's easy and inexpensive for them to be here. And we would really enjoy hosting Penn State for the first time because of their brand and they play great football.<<

Link below.

>>First of all, we've never had Penn State in the Peach Bowl, so it would be great to host Penn State. Great brand, obviously great fans, great administration. I know James Franklin. He's a quality guy, and we'd like to work together with him during bowl week...I would say the reason Penn State makes sense for us is because they are a top-12 team in the country with a great defense. They'd probably have to be 10-2 with their only losses to two of the top three teams in the country. Their brand resonates for viewership. Their fans would flock to Atlanta, because they've never been here. And it's easy and inexpensive for them to be here. And we would really enjoy hosting Penn State for the first time because of their brand and they play great football.<<

It's good to be wanted. This would be a great landing place for PSU because the Peach Bowl has increased in relevance, and also the team that we would play would be a big name opponent. Hopefully, we don't lay an egg against MSU like in 2017.

I’ve already made hotel reservations for all of the reasons he mentioned. Plus, I’d love to experience MB Stadium.

If you go, plan time to visit the College Football Hall of Fame as well.
You do a great job with your reports. The College Football Hall of Fame is well worth a visit. Make sure you use your cars GPS to find something on Peachtree street, then have fun deciding which of the 70 something Peachtree street variations you want.

Link below.

😻🥰😘

Peach Bowl rescheduled from 12/29 to
Saturday 12/30 @ noon.
I was hoping to have a nice evening party for the game, not a noon party.
Another freaking noon game. must be interfering with pro afternoon and evening games.
yeah that's a weird time slot for a NY6 Bowl. No PrimeTime bowls that day, strange. Other bowls that day are Music City Bowl (2PM), Capital One Bowl (4PM), and Barstool Sports Bowl (4:30PM).

Reactions: step.eng69
I’ve already made hotel reservations for all of the reasons he mentioned. Plus, I’d love to experience MB Stadium.

that stadium is better than Jerry's Place. Plus, the college football HoF is right next door.

yeah that's a weird time slot for a NY6 Bowl. No PrimeTime bowls that day, strange. Other bowls that day are Music City Bowl (2PM), Capital One Bowl (4PM), and Barstool Sports Bowl (4:30PM).
NFL game on ESPN that night...ESPN/NFL flipped Monday Night Football to Saturday so that the playoff games could be played on New Year's Day.

smart. If it ends up being the Peach, the MARTA goes within a 4 minute walk of the stadium. So staying anyplace along the MARTA is perfect. No need to pay inflated Bowl/hotel prices.

I'd be happy with the Peach Bowl.
I like the bowl, don't like the opponent. Tulane beat USC last year. They are dangerous but you gain nothing by beating them. it is expected. A loss is a disaster.

Tulane lost to Miss State in their second game. They play UTSA (U of TX at San Antonio) who is 8-3 so the last game isn't a gimme. it looks like they'll play SMU in their conference championship game. IF SMU loses to Navy, Tulane and UTSA would play again for the championship?

I like the bowl, don't like the opponent. Tulane beat USC last year. They are dangerous but you gain nothing by beating them. it is expected. A loss is a disaster.

Tulane lost to Miss State in their second game. They play UTSA (U of TX at San Antonio) who is 8-3 so the last game isn't a gimme. it looks like they'll play SMU in their conference championship game. IF SMU loses to Navy, Tulane and UTSA would play again for the championship?

Obli, the buzz is that Missouri would be the opponent.

Link below.

I want Washington in the Fiesta.

Reactions: therod
Link below.

Feelin' The Luv 🤍🍑🦁🍑💙
I Love You Hearts GIF

Reactions: NedFromYork
NO......🤷‍♂️
That’s what I thought. Tonight’s poll will probably have us at 11. I’d be surprised otherwise. Thus we need a team or two tanking. The most likely choice in my view would be Louisville. They have Kentucky then FSU. Missouri is a possibility, FSU without their QB has Fl. and then Louisville. If Bama loses to Georgia i don’t see them falling below us. There’s other possibilities, do we make it ranked 11’th or 12’th? Right now I’m getting a migraine headache 🤕.

Reactions: brupsu
That’s what I thought. Tonight’s poll will probably have us at 11. I’d be surprised otherwise. Thus we need a team or two tanking. The most likely choice in my view would be Louisville. They have Kentucky then FSU. Missouri is a possibility, FSU without their QB has Fl. and then Louisville. If Bama loses to Georgia i don’t see them falling below us. There’s other possibilities, do we make it ranked 11’th or 12’th? Right now I’m getting a migraine headache 🤕.
I laid all of this out in another message string.

With us being ahead of Ole Miss and (more importantly) Oklahoma in the 11/14 CFP rankings, that is telling and positions us well for a NY6 bid.
  • Louisville being right ahead of us is also interesting. Seems pretty clear, the CFP committee views them as the worst 1-loss team. If they had lost to Miami, that would have boosted our spot and likely dropped them several spots. If they lose vs Kentucky this weekend and lose in ACC champ game, they are out of NY6. Given their spot just ahead of us, even if they win this week, they likely drop below us (assuming we win) if they lose the ACC champ game. They only have that ND win to hang their hat on. The rest of their schedule is bad.
  • Oregon State losing eliminates them from NY6 consideration though that it was a matter of time since they played Wash and Oregon in back to back weeks.
  • If Missouri would have lost to Florida, that would have further and likely cemented our spot (again, assuming we win vs MSU). Can't see them losing to Arkansas but stranger things have happened.
  • Ole Miss won so no real impact given it was vs UL-Monroe. Can't see them losing to Miss State but we are ahead of them so we win and they win, we should stay ahead of them.
  • Oklahoma had a close-ish game vs BYU but pulled it out. Gabriel being hurt may impact them vs TCU but according to recent reports, he is likely to play. If they lose to TCU, that only solidifies our standing.
Rooting interest this week:
  • Kentucky over Louisville (see above)
  • Arkansas over Missouri (see above)
  • Mississippi State over Ole Miss (see above)
  • TCU over Oklahoma (see above)
  • Iowa over Nebraska (improves the quality of win)
  • Auburn over Alabama (not at all likely but a loss here and a loss vs Georgia knocks them out of the NY6)
  • WVU over Baylor (improves our quality of win)
  • The field at Michigan Stadium opens up and swallows up the OSU and Michigan teams
Since I'll be in Cabo for Thanksgiving through mid-next week, here would be my rooting interest for championship week:
  • OSU/Mich over Iowa (OSU and Mich are in the NY6 regardless so need to eliminate Iowa from an auto-bid)
  • Texas wins the B12. They are likely in win or lose but we do not want a 2nd B12 team in the NY6 as that will definitely knock us out.
  • Wash or Oregon are the Pac12 champ. There is a scenario where Arizona gets into the champ game and if they were to win, that would mean Oregon/Wash/Arizona all get in thus knocking out a spot for us.
  • Florida State wins the ACC. Win or lose they get a NY6 spot but that may not be the same for Louisville so best to knock Louisville out to secure a spot.
Basically, what we don't want is:
  • 2 teams from the B12 in the NY6
  • No more than 3 teams from the SEC in NY6
  • Only 1 team from ACC in NY6
  • No more than 2 teams from P12 in NY6

With us being ahead of Ole Miss and (more importantly) Oklahoma in the 11/14 CFP rankings, that is telling and positions us well for a NY6 bid.
  • Louisville being right ahead of us is also interesting. Seems pretty clear, the CFP committee views them as the worst 1-loss team. If they had lost to Miami, that would have boosted our spot and likely dropped them several spots. If they lose vs Kentucky this weekend and lose in ACC champ game, they are out of NY6. Given their spot just ahead of us, even if they win this week, they likely drop below us (assuming we win) if they lose the ACC champ game. They only have that ND win to hang their hat on. The rest of their schedule is bad.
  • Oregon State losing eliminates them from NY6 consideration though that it was a matter of time since they played Wash and Oregon in back to back weeks.
  • If Missouri would have lost to Florida, that would have further and likely cemented our spot (again, assuming we win vs MSU). Can't see them losing to Arkansas but stranger things have happened.
  • Ole Miss won so no real impact given it was vs UL-Monroe. Can't see them losing to Miss State but we are ahead of them so we win and they win, we should stay ahead of them.
  • Oklahoma had a close-ish game vs BYU but pulled it out. Gabriel being hurt may impact them vs TCU but according to recent reports, he is likely to play. If they lose to TCU, that only solidifies our standing.
  • Auburn over Alabama (not at all likely but a loss here and a loss vs Georgia knocks them out of the NY6)
  • The field at Michigan Stadium opens up and swallows up the OSU and Michigan teams
Since I'll be in Cabo for Thanksgiving through mid-next week, here would be my rooting interest for championship week:
  • OSU/Mich over Iowa (OSU and Mich are in the NY6 regardless so need to eliminate Iowa from an auto-bid)
  • Texas wins the B12. They are likely in win or lose but we do not want a 2nd B12 team in the NY6 as that will definitely knock us out.
  • Wash or Oregon are the Pac12 champ. There is a scenario where Arizona gets into the champ game and if they were to win, that would mean Oregon/Wash/Arizona all get in thus knocking out a spot for us.
  • Florida State wins the ACC. Win or lose they get a NY6 spot but that may not be the same for Louisville so best to knock Louisville out to secure a spot.

Yup, the consensus is that we're a lock for NY6. I mean, the Peach Bowl honcho thinks so, and he's no doubt well connected.

Now just don't screw it up by laying an egg against Michigan State on Friday.

I like it...however, Lousiville Strength of Schedule is 74th while Penn State's is 18th. They lost to Pitt and still have Kentucky and FSU to play (in the championship, although without FSU's star QB). Their big win was ND and Duke (after their star QB got hurt). Common opponent was Indiana whom they beat 21-14.

Reactions: mcpat

I obviously missed your post. Wish I hadn’t because then I probably wouldn’t have this damn headache.

• Haha
Based off the Peach Bowl CEO's comments I would say we are getting a bid from them as long as we win Friday. 11th is good enough barring some wild finishes.

If Louisville beats UK then FSU then you could see something like this...

Playoff: Oregon/Wash, Mich/OSU, UGA, Texas

Peach: PSU vs Mizzou or OSU/Mich vs Mizzou or PSU vs Tulane
Orange: FSU vs Bama
Fiesta: Louisville vs OSU/Mich or Louisville vs PSU
Cotton: Tulane vs Oregon/Wash or Mizzou vs Oregon/Washington

We want FSU to survive and make the playoff or at least Louisville to get a 3rd loss. Otherwise you are stuck with both Tulane and Louisville in NY6 and I think they both represent unattractive opponents. We could end up having to play one of them. I don't think they will have a NY6 bowl of Tulane vs Louisville unless a network exec green lighting that matchup wants to get canned.

This would be better if FSU makes playoff then you could have something like this...

Playoff: FSU, UGA, OSU/Mich, Texas or Oregon/Wash

Peach: PSU vs Ole Miss
Orange: Bama vs OSU/Mich
Fiesta: Mizzou vs Oregon/Washington/Texas
Cotton: Tulane vs Texas/Oregon/Washington

Does anyone know how these 4 non playoff NY6 games are paired and put together? Is it a 1st pick for each bowl then a 2nd pick for each after each has their first pick? I know the ACC is locked into the Orange if they are not in a playoff game. I think the Cotton likes a B12 team.

Yup, the consensus is that we're a lock for NY6. I mean, the Peach Bowl honcho thinks so, and he's no doubt well connected.

Now just don't screw it up by laying an egg against Michigan State on Friday.
A win doesn't lock it up.
  1. If someone other than Texas wins the B12, they get 2 teams and we likely get knocked out since Texas and that B12 would be in NY6.
  2. If something crazy happens in the P12 (Oregon loses to Oregon State which pushes Arizona into P12 champ game and AZ wins), then AZ, Oregon, and Wash go to NY6 and we get knocked out.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I like it...however, Lousiville Strength of Schedule is 74th while Penn State's is 18th. They lost to Pitt and still have Kentucky and FSU to play (in the championship, although without FSU's star QB). Their big win was ND and Duke (after their star QB got hurt). Common opponent was Indiana whom they beat 21-14.
I agree about Louisville. It's clear the CFP committee views them as the worst 1-loss team and that single loss is only reason they are where they are. I suspect if they lose to Kentucky, they will plummet. If they lose a close one to FSU, maybe they drop 2-4 spots.

Link below.

We might consider going, yet there is hesitation if they play a quality opponent and PSU has lots of optouts. That would not be worth paying to see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT