ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State-Michigan State Match Thread

Just watched the replay at 141. What's it going to take to get Bartlett to open up earlier? If he wrestled the 1st 6 minutes like he did the last 30 seconds, he would have teched that kid.

Beau is athletic and wins almost every scramble, he just needs to create action.

Last edited:
It has been a while:

Life comes at you fast sometimes. I have been fortunate enough to sit down long enough lately to be able to watch the matches. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to give my breakdown as usual. It seems like things are starting to level out and I will be able to get back to it.

125 Steen: What a great win for the young man. Like all Penn State wrestlers past, present, and hopefully future, the kid battles. He is undersized and over matched against almost (if not every) kid he has wrestled. That has not stopped him from continually working and battling. If you go back and re watch his first match and then watch last night, you will see improvement. With being in the PSU room, it is almost impossible not to get better, but sometimes it is definitely noticeable. He will no doubt continue to improve. Do I think it will be enough to qualify, unfortunately no. But do I think he is showing promise to qualify in the coming years if he is the starter, yes. For now, I will focus on the fact that he is improving, and hopefully keeping his head up and not letting losses influence his trajectory.

133 RBY: Since I did not do anything with Michigan, kudos to Ragusin for actually wrestling RBY and slowing him down. I believe Cael mentioned that he didn't know RBY was going to wrestle until late Saturday night. Maybe RBY decided to wrestle due to his closer match Friday night. I think he wanted to get back out there for his own mid set. In my eyes, he did just that. Wasn't able to get deep on a lot of his attempts, but continually pushing and eventually hitting the assassin for the fall was fun to watch.

141 BB: I don't want to say Beau is hit or miss, because that is definitely not the case. However, sometimes he is on his offense from the first whistle, and sometimes he is a little hesitant. In the third it was almost like you could see him wake up and turn the switch on for his offense. Once he starts on his motion, and his offense, you can see why he's ranked 4th. I think he is super close to being in conversation for wrestling for a championship. Right now, I don't think he is quite there. If he goes out Friday night and beats Real, this is crow I will gladly gobble up. But right now, I just don't think he's there. Super close? Absolutely. Am I ruling him out of the match? Definitely not. If he beats Real, he's 100% in that conversation, if he doesn't, I think he stays in that 3-6 range.

149 SVN: Sometimes I watch SVN and wonder how he takes anyone down. He pretty much does everything you teach young wrestlers not do on his shots. No real penetration, reaching for legs, shooting across the body, keeping an arm up, etc. However, it works for him, and I think it works for him for all those reasons. It at least appears, he has an unorthodox approach to his matches, which IMO gives a much different feel. I don't see anyone outside of possibly Yianni that he's not right there with. His pace is unreal. Losing to Johnson by one takedown, and a 6-2 decision to Gomez where I think the match was definitely closer than the score. Super excited for Friday night with Murin.

157 BearClaw: This one is unfortunate. I think we may have seen the last time BearClaw runs out as a "starter". Saldate is no slouch, but Claws troubles on bottom I believe are going to be the reason we see Haines from here on out. The 6-2 final score are no indication of how the match actually went. The takedown and backs at the end were the final nail, but getting rode out in the second was tough to watch. It wasn't tough due to disappointment in him, but I have always been high on his potential and hopeful he could take that next step. He definitely still has the potential, and I think he could take that next step, but IMO if he was going to be the guy moving forward, he needed to take that next step, and I don't think he did.

165 Facundo: Didn't really get to his offense against Fish like I would have liked. But Fish is an extremely under estimated wrestler. He takes some head scratching losses, but super tough kid. Alex seemed to be in tremendous shape and that will be huge moving forward in the meat grinder of 165. This is going to be a swing match come Friday, it will be a big win.

174 Star: Yup

184 Ball: Can you ask for anything else out of a kid? Battles from the first to the last whistle, always trying to score. From my understanding a great person and teammate off the mat. Definitely glad he wrestles for the good guys and to have such a quality backup.

197 Dean: Good win. Shutting out Caffey isn't something a lot of guys are able to do. Dean seemed to really emphasize heavy hands, and making Caffey work in all positions. His gameplay obviously worked. Another swing match coming into Friday that will be huge to win. I like how Dean is wrestling right now.

285 Kerk: Not much to say about this match. He did what was expected. Not worried about Parris at all either. He took a bad shot and paid for it. It happens, and could happen again. If Kerk goes out and beats Cass, he still is on track for top seed in March.

We Are!

It has been a while:

Life comes at you fast sometimes. I have been fortunate enough to sit down long enough lately to be able to watch the matches. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to give my breakdown as usual. It seems like things are starting to level out and I will be able to get back to it.

125 Steen: What a great win for the young man. Like all Penn State wrestlers past, present, and hopefully future, the kid battles. He is undersized and over matched against almost (if not every) kid he has wrestled. That has not stopped him from continually working and battling. If you go back and re watch his first match and then watch last night, you will see improvement. With being in the PSU room, it is almost impossible not to get better, but sometimes it is definitely noticeable. He will no doubt continue to improve. Do I think it will be enough to qualify, unfortunately no. But do I think he is showing promise to qualify in the coming years if he is the starter, yes. For now, I will focus on the fact that he is improving, and hopefully keeping his head up and not letting losses influence his trajectory.

133 RBY: Since I did not do anything with Michigan, kudos to Ragusin for actually wrestling RBY and slowing him down. I believe Cael mentioned that he didn't know RBY was going to wrestle until late Saturday night. Maybe RBY decided to wrestle due to his closer match Friday night. I think he wanted to get back out there for his own mid set. In my eyes, he did just that. Wasn't able to get deep on a lot of his attempts, but continually pushing and eventually hitting the assassin for the fall was fun to watch.

141 BB: I don't want to say Beau is hit or miss, because that is definitely not the case. However, sometimes he is on his offense from the first whistle, and sometimes he is a little hesitant. In the third it was almost like you could see him wake up and turn the switch on for his offense. Once he starts on his motion, and his offense, you can see why he's ranked 4th. I think he is super close to being in conversation for wrestling for a championship. Right now, I don't think he is quite there. If he goes out Friday night and beats Real, this is crow I will gladly gobble up. But right now, I just don't think he's there. Super close? Absolutely. Am I ruling him out of the match? Definitely not. If he beats Real, he's 100% in that conversation, if he doesn't, I think he stays in that 3-6 range.

149 SVN: Sometimes I watch SVN and wonder how he takes anyone down. He pretty much does everything you teach young wrestlers not do on his shots. No real penetration, reaching for legs, shooting across the body, keeping an arm up, etc. However, it works for him, and I think it works for him for all those reasons. It at least appears, he has an unorthodox approach to his matches, which IMO gives a much different feel. I don't see anyone outside of possibly Yianni that he's not right there with. His pace is unreal. Losing to Johnson by one takedown, and a 6-2 decision to Gomez where I think the match was definitely closer than the score. Super excited for Friday night with Murin.

157 BearClaw: This one is unfortunate. I think we may have seen the last time BearClaw runs out as a "starter". Saldate is no slouch, but Claws troubles on bottom I believe are going to be the reason we see Haines from here on out. The 6-2 final score are no indication of how the match actually went. The takedown and backs at the end were the final nail, but getting rode out in the second was tough to watch. It wasn't tough due to disappointment in him, but I have always been high on his potential and hopeful he could take that next step. He definitely still has the potential, and I think he could take that next step, but IMO if he was going to be the guy moving forward, he needed to take that next step, and I don't think he did.

165 Facundo: Didn't really get to his offense against Fish like I would have liked. But Fish is an extremely under estimated wrestler. He takes some head scratching losses, but super tough kid. Alex seemed to be in tremendous shape and that will be huge moving forward in the meat grinder of 165. This is going to be a swing match come Friday, it will be a big win.

174 Star: Yup

184 Ball: Can you ask for anything else out of a kid? Battles from the first to the last whistle, always trying to score. From my understanding a great person and teammate off the mat. Definitely glad he wrestles for the good guys and to have such a quality backup.

197 Dean: Good win. Shutting out Caffey isn't something a lot of guys are able to do. Dean seemed to really emphasize heavy hands, and making Caffey work in all positions. His gameplay obviously worked. Another swing match coming into Friday that will be huge to win. I like how Dean is wrestling right now.

285 Kerk: Not much to say about this match. He did what was expected. Not worried about Parris at all either. He took a bad shot and paid for it. It happens, and could happen again. If Kerk goes out and beats Cass, he still is on track for top seed in March.

We Are!
SVN said in a post-match interview (after MSU) that he didn't feel the need to shoot in the first period, that he planned tire out his opponent with his hands and if a TD came out of it, that was a bonus. That seems to be the wrestling style he is most comfortable with.

I think a lot of people were also mislead because Fidel Mayora looks like a chemistry professor in his Michigan picture but he is a good wrestler (former Cadet Fargo champ and Top 75 recruit) and just beat Rutgers starter Tony White from Rutgers 7-3. Majoring him was a good win.

• Haha
Reactions: OzarkLion
ADVERTISEMENT