ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State - Okla. State National Duals Title Event Match Thread

14059 in attendance which is largest in Gallagher history.

duals matter

Or at least who's coming to the dual. Crowds at the other two matches streamed by Flow appeared to be something less than overwhelming

No one is backup at 125. Not enough matches. If Nick has a bad sprain and isn't close to being ready then default at B1Gs and prep for nationals. If not, don't even risk it. Eight guys is enough to win it. They are all AA's!

Reactions: Creek Side
So you think we've got an ace hidden in our belt at 125 that nobody knows about?

I think we have somebody who is a warrior and wrestles his heart out: I think that is better than "nobody". I don't think "Nobody" will be Cael's choice.

I will have to check "Nobody"s record in tournaments and I'll get back to you.

No one is backup at 125. Not enough matches. If Nick has a bad sprain and isn't close to being ready then default at B1Gs and prep for nationals. If not, don't even risk it. Eight guys is enough to win it. They are all AA's!

8 guys MIGHT be enough. Yes, we've done it ONCE before with 8 guys, but it will not be easy and we'll need some breaks.

If Nick has a bad sprain and isn't close to being ready then default at B1Gs and prep for nationals.
I was thinking the same thing. He'll still get a wild card into tournament.

Okie St is probably the only team who will send more than 8 guys. Iowa won't and I don't think O$U will. It just brings PSU closer to the field but they will still be favorite.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Okie St is probably the only team who will send more than 8 guys. Iowa won't and I don't think O$U will. It just brings PSU closer to the field but they will still be favorite.

Okla St: Sending all 10
Iowa: Sending 9
Ohio St: Sending 9
Va Tech: Sending 9

I think that's why we'll need a break or two.

The Nittany Lions won a lop-sided takedown battle 24-7, giving up takedowns in only three of the seven bouts. Take away 133 and they had what 2?

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Okla St: Sending all 10
Iowa: Sending 9
Ohio St: Sending 9
Va Tech: Sending 9

I think that's why we'll need a break or two.

I think that it will take a lot to hold Suriano out. If he has a fracture, then it's probably over for the year. But anything less than that and he'll do everything possible to get back on the mat as quickly as he can.

Now, I might be wrong, but can Nick go out and wrestle ONE match to completion in Indy, then forfeit out the rest of the tournament? Yes, I know about the Minny kid rule, but can THAT happen?

IF it's not a fracture or a break, and just a sprain, I think Nick can get therapy for two weeks, tape the hell out of it, beat somebody, THEN forfeit out.

Now, I might be wrong, but can Nick go out and wrestle ONE match to completion in Indy, then forfeit out the rest of the tournament? Yes, I know about the Minny kid rule, but can THAT happen?
He has to achieve one of the auto-qualified spots. How many wins that turns out to be depends on the # of auto qualifiers and his draw (for example, does he get a random draw pigtail?).

He has to achieve one of the auto-qualified spots. How many wins that turns out to be depends on the # of auto qualifiers and his draw (for example, does he get a random draw pigtail?).

So, might have to win two matches, or if lucky, only one? How many auto q's do we think there will be?

giphy.gif

I'm sure he's qualified a spot with the impressive season he's put together. He should get a WC if he can't actually wrestle a match at big tens

I'm sure he's qualified a spot with the impressive season he's put together. He should get a WC if he can't actually wrestle a match at big tens
I probably over-sold that. No, he does not have to win a match to get an at large.

But he does have to wrestle, thanks to Schlatter and J Rob.

I probably over-sold that. No, he does not have to win a match to get an at large.

But he does have to wrestle, thanks to Schlatter and J Rob.
thought he just has to step on the mat and default didn't kindig do that in 2015 and Moisey last year before it was decided he just wasn't well enough to compete at nationals

thought he just has to step on the mat and default didn't kindig do that in 2015 and Moisey last year before it was decided he just wasn't well enough to compete at nationals
Kindig got away with it because B12 was not a qualifying tournament -- only had 4 schools.

I don't remember Moisey's situation.

I see El-Jefe has boned up on the intricacies of earning a shot at the big dance ;). The only thing I can add is that Nick (Suriano) will have to win 1 match in the championship bracket at B1G's to EARN a spot in the NCAA Championships IF he has a 1st round bye. If he has a 1st round match, he must win 2 bouts along the way. It sure looks like the Big Ten will get at least 7 allocation slots. And even if he loses, or forfeits after 1 bout, an at-large shall be waiting...100% positive of that.

Last edited:
I see El-Jefe has boned up on the intricacies of earning a shot at the big dance ;). The only thing I can add is that Nick (Suriano) will have to win 1 match in the championship bracket at B1G's to EARN a spot in the NCAA Championships IF he has a 1st round bye. If he has a 1st round match, he must win 2 bouts along the way. It sure looks like the Big Ten will get at least 7 allocation slots. And even if he loses, or forfeits after 1 bout, an at-large will shall be waiting...100% positive of that.

Basically what I thought. Thanks for the clarification Roar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT