ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State vs. West Virginia - GAMEDAY THREAD

Only chance of beating Michigan is for the PSU DTs all of a sudden become better. That remains the weakness of this defense. Additionally J.J. McCarthy can run and PSU struggles with running QBs.
They didn’t run well today vs ECU. 31 Carrie’s for 122 yards.

Based in?
I just think you've convinced yourself WVU is decent because they're our "big" non-conference game. If we played WVU week 2 instead of 1 we win by 50 because little things would be cleaned up.
Based on the fact that I don’t think Pitt is very good. I’m sure you would be saying the same thing if PSU played Pitt and not WVU. I lived in WV for a lot of years and I’ve followed WVU for years, so I know a bit about their team. Even if they didn’t play PSU this year, I would think they they were going to have a decent year this season. It has nothing to do with playing us.

I didn't see him taking knees on their final TD drive. They also burnt a 2 pt play on our 3rd string defense. They then tried an onside kick.

And we were in the wrong letting our backup QB get reps? What an ašṣ. If you wanted us to take a knee, take one yourself.
Does it really matter in the big picture to lose 38-15 instead of 31-15? Not really. Personally, I would have taken a knee but the backups were in and WVU was still playing to the end. They weren’t taking a knee when they had the ball late.

That said, you can be sure next year that WVU fans and media will be portraying this as if it was some sort of unforgivable offense that must be avenged.

What makes you think they should be favored against Pitt and Houston. TTU would actually be the game I think they're most likely to win.

Their run game isn't good enough to keep them in every game. It's above average not great.
Tell you what. Let's wait until the end of the season and we'll discuss this again? Stop guessing the results of this season.

Does it really matter in the big picture to lose 38-15 instead of 31-15? Not really. Personally, I would have taken a knee but the backups were in and WVU was still playing to the end. They weren’t taking a knee when they had the ball late.

That said, you can be sure next year that WVU fans and media will be portraying this as if it was some sort of unforgivable offense that must be avenged.

Agreed.

Next year, half that team won't be there. Truly shocked Gallagher didn't see a snap. If Brown doesn't win 7 games, he is likely fired and Gallagher probably hits the portal (and I think we could get him second time around).

They should dump WVU and get Stonybrook on the schedule.
That will shut people up.
It’s Stony Brook first of all, and dumping the OLD Eastern rivals does mean play them. Try to think more.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The starting D gave up way to much rushing yardage on first down. That said, they bent but only gave up the one TD. Manny will make adjustments vs. Michigan. However, to be brutally honest, Beamon is not a starting Big Ten caliber DT. He simply isn’t. We need someone else to step up. Ellies? Izzard? Van den Berg? Artis? Someone.
The DT room isn't impressive and hasn't been for a couple yrs now...save P.J., it's the only position JF hasn't brought in top flight recruits in droves. I get crucified on here by the sensitive ones who can't take criticism of JF, or more specifically, any time the DTs are brought up. Can those guys step up....sure they can. But, as to date, we've seen all but Artis play, and none IMO are road graters who change the LOS.

Last edited:
Based on the fact that I don’t think Pitt is very good. I’m sure you would be saying the same thing if PSU played Pitt and not WVU. I lived in WV for a lot of years and I’ve followed WVU for years, so I know a bit about their team. Even if they didn’t play PSU this year, I would think they they were going to have a decent year this season. It has nothing to do with playing us.
I don't think Pitt is very good either. I just think they're better than WVU. At least we'll see in 2 weeks but Greene has to play better or they won't win.

I don't think Pitt is very good either. I just think they're better than WVU. At least we'll see in 2 weeks but Greene has to play better or they won't win.
I think our defense had a little bit to do with how Greene played and Pitt doesn’t have our defense.

Maybe he would have been happier if we kicked a meaningless FU field goal on 4th?

The whole thing is a tempest in a teapot - CJF clearly wanted some meaningful action for BP. Pribula came in with 3:34 remaining and WVU still had TOs - CJF wanted him to feel real game pressure of producing some offense and not give the ball back to WVU (who was not completely out of the game if PSU goes 3-&-out). Pribula did exactly what needed to be done - he moved the ball, picked up 1st Downs and kept the ball out of WVUs hands. The fact that WVU couldn't stop Pribula on a QB Draw on 4th Down (on a play that had to be run as the Game Clock exceeded the Play Clock) is not Pribula's fault. No way should CJF have asked Pribula to take a knee, have his drive fail and let WVU run the last play of the game - no way do you do that to Pribula who was merely doing what he was supposed to do against the WVU 1st Team Defense.

The whole thing is a tempest in a teapot - CJF clearly wanted some meaningful action for BP. Pribula came in with 3:34 remaining and WVU still had TOs - CJF wanted him to feel real game pressure of producing some offense and not give the ball back to WVU (who was not completely out of the game if PSU goes 3-&-out). Pribula did exactly what needed to be done - he moved the ball, picked up 1st Downs and kept the ball out of WVUs hands. The fact that WVU couldn't stop Pribula on a QB Draw on 4th Down (on a play that had to be run as the Game Clock exceeded the Play Clock) is not Pribula's fault. No way should CJF have asked Pribula to take a knee, have his drive fail and let WVU run the last play of the game - no way do you do that to Pribula who was merely doing what he was supposed to do against the WVU 1st Team Defense.

Plus everyone knows that window dressing is somewhat important these days if you're a playoff contender.

The DT room isn't impressive and hasn't been for a couple yrs now...save P.J., it's the only position JF hasn't brought in top flight recruits in droves. I get crucified on here by the sensitive ones who can't take criticism of JF, or more specifically, any time the DTs are brought up. Can those guys step up....sure they can. But, as to date, we've seen all but Artis play, and none IMO are road graters who change the LOS.

Agree. Can't have a weak link and be a contender. How does it get better at this point? Isn't it more of a strength and conditioning / size kind of position? I'd be concerned that OSU and Michigan could just pound the middle, keep Allar off the field, and we would be unable to stop them. Defense then wears down and we lose like we did last year during the 4th quarter.

Reactions: bdgan and scrivener
Lavar ran and whiffed a lot at this stage in his career. It drove Joe crazy.

That said this is a different defensive scheme. Joe had LBs staying in position and plugging holes. This defense is about moving LBs around and trying to make explosive plays.
The one number 11 that didn't miss was Navarro.

Agree. Can't have a weak link and be a contender. How does it get better at this point? Isn't it more of a strength and conditioning / size kind of position? I'd be concerned that OSU and Michigan could just pound the middle, keep Allar off the field, and we would be unable to stop them. Defense then wears down and we lose like we did last year during the 4th quarter.
We are kind of bend but don't break from what I saw. I think it will be hard to grind it all the way down the field on us but that is not necessary to beat us.
Problem is Mich and OSU have better offensive playmakers than WVU. So they will pound us in the middle of the line, then hit the big play. Was hoping for the D-Line to make a statement with at least some disruptive plays (tfls or a sack here or there). Did not see any of this.

Here is the funny thing, at the open practice it was said the D was way ahead of the O. Not what I saw last night. I would think Singleton and Allen with Allar calling the signals could carve up our D in practice. Maybe simply because the D knows all of our plays helps them.

We are kind of bend but don't break from what I saw. I think it will be hard to grind it all the way down the field on us but that is not necessary to beat us.
Problem is Mich and OSU have better offensive playmakers than WVU. So they will pound us in the middle of the line, then hit the big play. Was hoping for the D-Line to make a statement with at least some disruptive plays (tfls or a sack here or there). Did not see any of this.

Here is the funny thing, at the open practice it was said the D was way ahead of the O. Not what I saw last night. I would think Singleton and Allen with Allar calling the signals could carve up our D in practice. Maybe simply because the D knows all of our plays helps them.

First of all, WVU has a very good OL - their C is an AA Candidate and both their Guards are very good. PSU's rush defense held WVU RBs to 75 yards on 25 Carrie's (3.0 ypc) - not sure what you were watching.

First of all, WVU has a very good OL - their C is an AA Candidate and both their Guards are very good. PSU's rush defense held WVU RBs to 75 yards on 25 Carrie's (3.0 ypc) - not sure what you were watching.
WV got behind. if the game was a one score game, do you think we could have stopped them running the football, I don't think so. Illinois in two weeks will be the test.

WV got behind. if the game was a one score game, do you think we could have stopped them running the football, I don't think so. Illinois in two weeks will be the test.
Absolutely we would have. If Illinois is a test we're highly overrated.

Brett Bielema loves to run the football and they have Big 10 dudes up front. We better have it fixed by then.

Reactions: bdgan
Brett Bielema loves to run the football and they have Big 10 dudes up front. We better have it fixed by then.
I share your concern about our strength at DT but Illinois only ran for 163 yds against Toledo. That's just one game but it might be an indication that their running game isn't as strong as you think.

I share your concern about our strength at DT but Illinois only ran for 163 yds against Toledo. That's just one game but it might be an indication that their running game isn't as strong as you think.
Bad first games only count for Penn State…every other team is allowed to have flaws early in the season, but we’re not.

And struggled against a MAC team but yes let's be worried about a team we'll be favored against by double digits.

Bad first games only count for Penn State…every other team is allowed to have flaws early in the season, but we’re not.
FGs are a legitimate concern. I think punting will be OK but not great.

Run defense is a legitimate concern against good teams. I think the problem is not just personnel but also a scheme that prioritizes explosive plays over plugging gaps.

Illinois OL might be stronger than PSU's DL but I don't think their offense can score as many points as PSU's offense.

I didn't see him taking knees on their final TD drive. They also burnt a 2 pt play on our 3rd string defense. They then tried an onside kick.

And we were in the wrong letting our backup QB get reps? What an ašṣ. If you wanted us to take a knee, take one yourself.
Right on!

Reactions: lazydave841
FGs are a legitimate concern. I think punting will be OK but not great.

Run defense is a legitimate concern against good teams. I think the problem is not just personnel but also a scheme that prioritizes explosive plays over plugging gaps.

Illinois OL might be stronger than PSU's DL but I don't think their offense can score as many points as PSU's offense.

Have to see how Ellies and Izzard perform. Hopefully they've both improved from last year because they weren't exactly world-beaters last season. Anyway, getting an early lead is going to be important to keep teams from just grinding PSU down with the run game.

Have to see how Ellies and Izzard perform. Hopefully they've both improved from last year because they weren't exactly world-beaters last season. Anyway, getting an early lead is going to be important to keep teams from just grinding PSU down with the run game.
We don't have the highest rated DTs but Ellies was a 4*, he weighs 304, and he's an upperclassman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT