ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Basketball Quarterfinal Results

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
The difference in the Pennsbury-Roman Catholic game was Pennsbury getting assessed a technical foul for bringing the wrong uniforms.

A
Millersburg (3-1) 19-8 vs Math, Civics & Sciences (12-2) 13-13 Math, Civics & Sciences 90-62
St. John Neumann (4-1) 27-1 vs Constitution (1-1) 21-8 Constitution 83-45
Monessen (7-1) 22-6 vs Kennedy Catholic (10-1) 23-4 Kennedy Catholic 81-63
Farrell (10-2) 18-8 vs Clarion-Limestone (9-1) 24-3 Farrell 90-73

AA[/B]
Conwell-Egan (12-1) 18-8 vs Mid-Valley (2-1) 25-4 Conwell-Egan 72-56
Loyalsock Township (4-1) 25-3 vs Mastery Charter North (12-3) 16-9 Loyalsock Township 76-67
Aliquippa (7-1) 27-0 vs Redbank Valley (9-1) 22-5 Aliquippa 70-36
West Middlesex (10-1) 24-3 vs Greensburg Central Catholic (7-3) 23-3 West Middlesex 49-44

AAA[/B]
Neumann-Goretti (12-1) 26-2 vs Bishop McDevitt (3-2) 22-5 Neumann-Goretti 76-71
Imhotep Charter (12-2) 25-3 vs Susquehanna Township (3-3) 22-6 Imhotep Charter 58-49
Archbishop Carroll (12-3) 21-6 vs New Castle (7-4) 22-5 Archbishop Carroll 77-48
Mars (7-5) 26-2 vs Erie Cathedral Prep (10-1) 21-6 Erie Cathedral Prep 62-56

AAAA[/B]
J.P. McCaskey (3-8) 22-10 vs LaSalle College (12-3) J.P. McCaskey 60-59
Pennsbury (1-3) 25-6 vs Roman Catholic (12-1) 26-2 Roman Catholic 58-57
Martin Luther King (12-2) 21-8 vs Plymouth-Whitemarsh (1-2) 27-2 Martin Luther King 59-43
Harrisburg (3-5) 22-8 vs Allderdice (8-1) 25-2 Allderdice 65-58

This post was edited on 3/14 7:36 PM by Relayer

PA Sports Board

My best friend is an old Aliquippa grad and he expects them to win it all.

From the looks of that score, they will be a very tough out.

AA has 3 excellent teams in the final 4...

Philly (Conwell Egan), Pittsburgh (Quip), and Pennsyltucky (Sock) all representing well.

Thanks for the update; I remember that great 1967 state champion team

Wuycik, DeVenzio, Frank Kaufman -- one of the best PIAA teams that I can recall

Nice to see them back in the mix for a state championship, but notable that economic changes have put them in a smaller school bracket

Re: How is Bragalone doing?

HAHA...I don't think South even made districts...had to forfeit 2 games, the coach was ejected from the JV game one day and then coached that day and the next game so they had to forfeit both games and then he had to sit out another game.

16 teams....Only 8 or 9 of those are
public schools....what a shame

If you want to get technical, there are 6 private and 10 public. Now, I understand if one believes the Philly charter schools are not your typical "public" school.

Re: Thanks for the update; I remember that great 1967 state champion team

That was Ambridge. Coached by DeVenzio's dad. Wuycik went on to play at UNC (probably had a few of those "show up" courses, just kidding), DeVenzio went on to star at Duke and Kaufman played very well at Purdue when they. were annual B1G power. They played in the same WPIAL section as Alliquippa, so had to beat them a couple of times to get to the playoffs.

I once saw Dickie deVenzio score 50 points in a Jr. High game, 6 minute quarters! He was a smaller version of Pistol Pete Maravich who was born and raised in...Alliquippa, but never played HS ball there.

Re: Thanks for the update; I remember that great 1967 state champion team

After Coach DV left Ambridge he went to coach Springdale to the WPIAL title in 1989. I went to a bunch of games as a kid. That '89 team just played the current high school team last year in a reunion game and won by 30 points. A bunch of 45 year old guys dominating high school kids. It was an amazing team with an amazing coach.

Originally posted by nclion70:
16 teams....Only 8 or 9 of those are
public schools....what a shame
Why does that matter?

He may be upset because catholic and private schools have the advantage of recruiting. Just my guess. Some feel these schools should have their own conferences and or classifications.

I wouldn't characteize Kaufman's career at Purdue

as someone who "played very well." Wasn't a starter. Averaged 2.8/ppg and 1.9 reb/g. By the time he was a senior, he barely played.

I don't feel like looking it up but I wonder what percent of schools are private in PA and what percent win championships.

I currently live in ohio, unfortunately. This article says 17% of schools are private and win 40% of the championships.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-8705371928331315061/breaking-down-latest-private-public-competitive-balance-bid-from-ohsaa-as-principals-statewide-cast-votes/
This post was edited on 3/15 10:12 AM by courtneybrownsjockstrap

Chuck DeVenzio also coached at Springdale

in the '60s before he went to Ambridge. He and Dick were a package deal.

I can't believe McCaskey is still playing. Hopefully Walker will take my Red Knights to the promised land in the next 2 years. A AAAA title is long overdue for Reading! Ugh!!

Re: Chuck DeVenzio also coached at Springdale

Didn't Chuck later end up at NA at some point?

Re: That was Ambridge.*

Those were pretty dominate days for Western PA BB. Of course, it didn't hurt that Philly schools didn't play in the PIAA at the time. I also remember those Farrell, Midland, Schenley teams, etc. winning state titles year after year. Still think that Ambridge team was the best I'd seen. I also remember a run in Class B by Mercer. Can't remember his name, but that was a well coached team.

This post was edited on 3/15 11:12 AM by nits74

Understatement of the year right there

Even absent recruiting that is going on now by bogus charter schools, the record of state champs in Pa would be quite different if the Philly Public and Catholic Leagues played in the PIAA back in the day.

Overbrook with Wilt, the great West Philly High teams, Franklin and Dobbins.

I'm just glad the Chester Clippers have been holding it down for District 1.

Re: Understatement of the year right there

I really don't understand why Pa. Is so indent on keeping private and public schools together. In Maryland none of the private schools play MPSSAA competition, so you rarely see the same schools winning the title year in and year out. (Though with some exceptions given to magnet schools, which get probably too much leeway when it comes to bringing in players.

oh I agree - schools that recruit should be separate.

That said, state BBall championships that would allow Pittsburgh City Schools but not Philly public schools are unfair - imagine the inverse when it came to football.

Some of these magnet schools and newly-formed parochial schools are ridiculous. You have 50 kids per class and 20% of them are D1 BBall players.

Re: oh I agree - schools that recruit should be separate.

Agree. With respect to football back then (and even now), Pittsburgh City schools weren't particularly strong when compared to the WPIAL, so doubt that would have had much effect.

Mercer was coached by John Swogger who I think went to Altoona after that.

Yup, coached Ambridge for another year

after the state championship then took the job at North Allegheny.

Art, my memory is failing me. Did Abridge beat Valley during the Torrance Lyle years or was it BB's time a couple years later? Either way I was there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT