ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Season Thread

Since this was clearly directed at me I said...

"I'm also fine with Allar leaving (hopefully not for another Big Ten team) unless we're willing to build an offense around him"

I don't want him to leave but I also don't want to continue to try to force him to run an offense not suited to his strengths. That's not best for him or us. I want to hire an OC that will adapt his scheme to Allar's strength. The delayed handoffs, RPO with no threat of keeping it, designed runs--must stop
Acceptance is one of the steps....

Reactions: voltz99
Last year we only had one 10+ season in a row, not two…and we thought we had a #1 receiver coming back. It’s a different scenario this year.
Is 10 some sort of magic number?
Here are some far more important facts for a WR looking for a better location to play:
— PSU is ranked somewhere around 90th in passing yardage this season.
— The QB, while highly recruited, didn’t throw the ball down the field for whatever reason.
— The average pass traveled less than seven yards down the field.
— The average completion was good for barely over 10 yards.
— PSU WR’s did not improve a bit under the current coaching staff.
— PSU has no offensive coordinator.
— OC’s have a history of very short tenures at PSU.
But all that can be forgotten if the team wins 10 games.

Same...I think it would be best for all involved.
I'm also fine with Allar leaving (hopefully not for another Big Ten team) unless we're willing to build an offense around him
Singletons not leaving he already said so and why would he - he shares the load with Allen so as not to get beat up and its not like they aren't trying to build an offense around Allar - so much stupid in these posts.

Reactions: bison13 and dswartz
Singletons not leaving he already said so and why would he - he shares the load with Allen so as not to get beat up and its not like they aren't trying to build an offense around Allar - so much stupid in these posts.
Look at the date of the post for starters
Then stop pretending this scheme fits what Allar does best. They did a better job altering it after MY left but as long as we're running any RPO with his being expected to keep the ball (or worse pretending that's an option) the offense isn't being designed for him. It was the same offense ran for Clifford. He's not Clifford or similar.
There's a lot of stupid in not accepting that or looking at when a post was made.

King is not coming back.
Even if he ends up being a second-round pick, it would be foolish for him to return. Anyone with even an elementary understanding of the way NFL contracts work can see that.
I agree that the young man should bolt- but after him yapping about wanting Harrison Jr and getting his ass handed to himself and then getting thrown at successfully by IU pretty consistently I had my doubts....which means absolutely nothing regarding his NFL potential.

I guess the only viable possibility for a return is some sort of U$C type of balloon NIL deal w/ a multi million $ Health Insurance injury policy and the potential lure of playing for a championship with his brother. If they set some sort of "we'll show UM what they missed out on" goal that has gone by the wayside. I can still see him staring at the sky on the sideline after getting beat by the UM TE All for the long TD 3 years ago to beat us.

Again- better a known commodity at double the cost than an outsider who isn't a 1000% lock to be an upgrade. If he were my kid I'd leave it up to him- but where he stands w degree would be a consideration too. Either way the kid wins- which it appears he has earned.

The fact that Olu returned last year tells me that you never know what is going to happen. You can analyze and make predictions, but when the 99.98% 1st round lock returns and a 6th rd WR leaves, that just tells me that these decisions go beyond what we see superficially.

Fun debate, but ridiculous to piss on anybody else's opinion.

We agree- what I guess I'm coming to the realization of is that it isn't just the talent- but also the availability to transfer for Spring Practice along with having the nads to really want to compete (vs picking a situation where there is some sort of "guarantee.")

These kids are not just "plug and play" chess pieces. For the $ Cephus simply wasn;t a good buy. His impact this year was minimal and any $ that was paid out to him he underdelivered on. Keeping Parker Washington at twice the cost of Cephus would've been a difference maker for this team....but so be it.
Yes, Washington would have been a difference maker. But I don’t see NIL money being a significant reason that a player with his heart set on the NFL would stay at PSU for another season. Guess every player has his own priorities.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
‘Cuz that worked so well last year at this time.
I must have forgot top notch receivers were breaking down the door, but PSU turned them away because the guys already here were so darn good.
“Winning” isn’t going to be in the top three priorities for any WR looking to portal anywhere.
Just like in recruiting high school seniors, some years you hit, some years you miss. Cephas was a top portal target that just didn't pan out as expected.

PSU 2024 offense has potential to be very productive and the #1 WR position is wide open for the taking. IMO, PSU's situation is very favorable for a transfer WR. If PSU is competitive in the NIL area, we should be competitive for the top receivers in the portal. Whether or not we get one is once again, a hit or a miss.

Hearing Rutgers has a lock on him for some reason?
Bullshit. No excuses. You pony up the money and you get Hagans out there and go get him. Like I said they have ZERO excuses left after losing Saunders, Prather and Horn. Prather went to a team we beat 51-15 and 30-0. If we would have gotten Prather we beat either OSU or Michigan, he was by far the second best wr in the B1G. No more Prathers. No excuses and you don't lose guys to ****ing Rutgers

King is not coming back.
Even if he ends up being a second-round pick, it would be foolish for him to return. Anyone with even an elementary understanding of the way NFL contracts work can see that.
😂 Fake PSU fan. King can easily decide to stay and graduate with his twin BROTHER you douchebag.

Bullshit. No excuses. You pony up the money and you get Hagans out there and go get him. Like I said they have ZERO excuses left after losing Saunders, Prather and Horn. Prather went to a team we beat 51-15 and 30-0. If we would have gotten Prather we beat either OSU or Michigan, he was by far the second best wr in the B1G. No more Prathers. No excuses and you don't lose guys to ****ing Rutgers

Hyperbole. Prather was third on his own team.

Reactions: 81b&w and bison13
Here are some far more important facts for a WR looking for a better location to play:
— The QB, while highly recruited, didn’t throw the ball down the field for whatever reason.

Did you ever once care about those stats when Joe was coach and the team won less than 10?

Good article on Penn's Joey Slackman.

PSU needs to go all out for this player. He fills a definite need and would certainly provide a solid rotational piece for the DTs. PSU doesn't need to strike out here.

PSU needs to go all out for this player. He fills a definite need and would certainly provide a solid rotational piece for the DTs. PSU doesn't need to strike out here.
..and we are the closest major program to his home in Long Island. Plus, we can point to Hunter Nourzad as a success story for someone moving from the Ivy League to big time college ball.

All your points can be traced back to not having a strong enough receiving group which is a perfect reason for a big time receiver to want to come and change those numbers. Believe it or not, top notch athletes feel they can make a team or a position better.

Reactions: Washingtonlion
What if a player absolutely wants to go somewhere else or absolutely doesn’t want to come here? How is that an excuse or a failure? No coach can get everyone they want.

..and we are the closest major program to his home in Long Island. Plus, we can point to Hunter Nourzad as a success story for someone moving from the Ivy League to big time college ball.
What? Guy was a liability all year long. One of the worst centers in the big ten and the main reason we couldn't run on Ohio State and Michigan

Look at the date of the post for starters
Then stop pretending this scheme fits what Allar does best. They did a better job altering it after MY left but as long as we're running any RPO with his being expected to keep the ball (or worse pretending that's an option) the offense isn't being designed for him. It was the same offense ran for Clifford. He's not Clifford or similar.
There's a lot of stupid in not accepting that or looking at when a post was made.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day you are not even right once - spamming every thread doesn't make you smart just annoying.

Reactions: Psubiomed
Even a broken clock is right twice a day you are not even right once - spamming every thread doesn't make you smart just annoying.
So you're doubling down even though you incorrectly thought my post was after the announcement and I never made the claim you said? Classic

Have you noticed how this lame CONSTANTLY throws out the terms "we" and "us" when referencing Penn State? Like literally every single post.

All your points can be traced back to not having a strong enough receiving group which is a perfect reason for a big time receiver to want to come and change those numbers. Believe it or not, top notch athletes feel they can make a team or a position better.
True.
But the vast majority are looking to make themselves, and their situations, better first.
PSU did not have a strong receiving group set to return at this point last year and didn’t exactly strike it rich in the portal.

Did you ever once care about those stats when Joe was coach and the team won less than 10?
Nope.
It was an entirely different ballgame back then.
And I don’t really care much about them now.
Some posters believe the current situation should make it somewhat easy to lure high quality receivers from the portal to PSU.
I don’t believe the fact PSU wins a lot of games is a high priority among wide receivers looking to better their personal situations.

Fingers crossed we lose no one but also bring in no one, and play with guys who decided to come to Penn State.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT