ADVERTISEMENT

PSU potential starting Line up

Would y'all take Tyson Dippery as a grad transfer to allow N. Lee a redshirt? Looks like he is stuck behind Ashnault and Giraldo for the remainder of his career. I suppose Kade Moss or maybe Gardner could give you the same kind of results, though.

Would y'all take Tyson Dippery as a grad transfer to allow N. Lee a redshirt? Looks like he is stuck behind Ashnault and Giraldo for the remainder of his career. I suppose Kade Moss or maybe Gardner could give you the same kind of results, though.
A reverse cruiseliner.

Dipperys going 133

No. Besides Moss, Dinmore would also be a better option if he can hold 141, and he's listed there in the 2017 roster. (Of course that might not be accurate -- Cenzo is listed at 149.)

Finding a more efficient manner in finishing shots is both improved technique (execution) as well as making adjustments to the size of his 141 competitors.

Just my guess, but Jimmy will be much more of what everybody has always expected. Occasionally however, we as a fan base will probably be befuddled due to an out of nowhere lack of urgency moment.

I do think Jimmy struggles with "length" at 141 - especially finishing shots and giving up scrambles, but you never know - a new year is a new year.

I think he has two big issues he has to overcome.

One, partially mental and partially execution, is that, to my eyes at least, he seems to hesitate during his takedown attempts. He doesn't really follow through immediately - and that split second of hesitation is fatal at the level he is wrestling.

Two, which is almost entirely mental, he seems to mope when things aren't going well and is kind of listless on bottom. I agree with others - sometimes he should not "take down". I forget which match it was at Nationals this year but it was a tight match and he chose down - then proceeded to get ridden and turned (at least that's my recollection). My reaction at the time of his choice was "why?"

He's in his last year, usually the product you get is what you're used to. But I'm sure Cael can work some voodoo magic on him. I don't buy the moping thing, but he does bail on his (often times beautiful) shot too early. His top game, to me, looked much improved last year even up a weight.

Jimmy can win it. His biggest opponent might be himself.

He's in his last year, usually the product you get is what you're used to. But I'm sure Cael can work some voodoo magic on him. I don't buy the moping thing, but he does bail on his (often times beautiful) shot too early. His top game, to me, looked much improved last year even up a weight.

Agree with you, Jimmy's basic shots are beautiful - he gets in as deep as anybody you'll ever see. One of things that often doesn't happen, that you often see with the great shot-makers, is the seemless conversion to a "finish" where the shot-maker uses their superior "leverage" (i.e., in deep) to draw the other wrestler into them and either "straight-through" OR "upward-&-through" the other wrestler. Not sure why it happens because he appears to be in great position at the maximum depth of his shot, but then at that critical moment it stalls, he losses momentum and the wrestlers end up in a scramble.

Agree with you, Jimmy's basic shots are beautiful - he gets in as deep as anybody you'll ever see. One of things that often doesn't happen, that you often see with the great shot-makers, is the seemless conversion to a "finish" where the shot-maker uses their superior "leverage" (i.e., in deep) to draw the other wrestler into them and either "straight-through" OR "upward-&-through" the other wrestler. Not sure why it happens because he appears to be in great position at the maximum depth of his shot, but then at that critical moment it stalls, he losses momentum and the wrestlers end up in a scramble.

One of the things it could possibly be related to is the length of Jimmy's arms - especially the way he seems to struggle with "length" (i.e., long, wiry guys who are flexible and strong). Sometimes it appears to me that he's in great position, but just is not able to draw the opponent in with his upper-body -- given that Jimmy clearly looks plenty strong upper-body-wise, the only other thing it could be is lack of leverage in his arms due to them being somewhat short and not being able to "wrap-up" the opponent at the peak of his shot.

One of the things it could possibly be related to is the length of Jimmy's arms - especially the way he seems to struggle with "length" (i.e., long, wiry guys who are flexible and strong). Sometimes it appears to me that he's in great position, but just is not able to draw the opponent in with his upper-body -- given that Jimmy clearly looks plenty strong upper-body-wise, the only other thing it could be is lack of leverage in his arms due to them being somewhat short and not being able to "wrap-up" the opponent at the peak of his shot.
Small hands, too.

c'mon... gotta speculate on other things as well.... I'm sure we've had ncaa champs with small hands or short arms... usually see a lot of different body types

Imagine a football quarterback that couldn't grip a football or a b-ball player that couldn't palm the ball. they would be at a disadvantage. would you agree? Say then you have a wrestler that couldn't quite get the deep grip... I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.

What really peeves me about Jimmy is when he goes to adjust his headgear and the guy gets the jump on him. He should at least get some reaction time space between himself and the other guy IMO.

Reactions: FineMaterial
Imagine a football quarterback that couldn't grip a football or a b-ball player that couldn't palm the ball. they would be at a disadvantage. would you agree? Say then you have a wrestler that couldn't quite get the deep grip... I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.

What really peeves me about Jimmy is when he goes to adjust his headgear and the guy gets the jump on him. He should at least get some reaction time space between himself and the other guy IMO.

Yeah, I don't mean to be offensive, but Jimmy has small hands and that's not a great thing for a wrestler, esp. one who also is not as long as many of his opponents at 141. Hand size, strength, and grip can be important.

Yeah, I don't mean to be offensive, but Jimmy has small hands and that's not a great thing for a wrestler, esp. one who also is not as long as many of his opponents at 141. Hand size, strength, and grip can be important.
Royboy, there was a guy wrestling at nationals a few years back that seemed to just grab guys from quite a distance and pull them right in. Hand size, grip and strength. Forgot his name. Western school, I think. watched him wrestle a couple of matches.. got my attention anyway.

True.

Reactions: Dogwelder
... Hand size, strength, and grip can be important.

"True," agrees the girl in lionlover's avatar. ;)

1008.jpg

Royboy, there was a guy wrestling at nationals a few years back that seemed to just grab guys from quite a distance and pull them right in. Hand size, grip and strength. Forgot his name. Western school, I think. watched him wrestle a couple of matches.. got my attention anyway.

Anthony Robles.

Reactions: FineMaterial
Anthony Robles.

No doubt about Robles.

purescurve, another name that occurred to me for that description was Ben Kjar from Utah Valley State, who finished 4th in 2011.

Some wrestling legends had exceptional hand strength -- Dave Schultz and Dan Hodges come to mind. Closer to home, Ed Ruth had large and exceptionally strong hands. Here's a pic of Dan Hodges from just a few years ago.

800px-A13_2557.jpg

No doubt about Robles.

purescurve, another name that occurred to me for that description was Ben Kjar from Utah Valley State, who finished 4th in 2011.

Some wrestling legends had exceptional hand strength -- Dave Schultz and Dan Hodges come to mind. Closer to home, Ed Ruth had large and exceptionally strong hands. Here's a pic of Dan Hodges from just a few years ago.

800px-A13_2557.jpg
Over 80 and can still do that. Much harder than a watermelon!

No doubt about Robles.

800px-A13_2557.jpg
It looks like Hodge is in a court of law. Must have been asked to prove he could do it!

Reactions: Dogwelder

Yes there was...Ed Ruth.

Yes, length as in "length of arms", not just legs, is very important as your hands don't need to be as strong if you're able to easily pull the other wrestler in due to the "length" of your arms and easily "wrapping up" the other wrestler (i.e., the shorter your arms, the more important your grip strength becomes especially in regards to an opponent not being able to break your hand-lock on a sprawl, etc....).

Reactions: purescurve
No doubt about Robles.

800px-A13_2557.jpg
Two thoughts come to mind. It's a shame Hodge wasn't worked in to the My Cousin Vinny courtroom scenes as some sort of expert witness.
Second thought, on the expert witness track, he must have been brought in to prove that you can crush a man's windpipe with one hand.

It looks like Hodge is in a court of law. Must have been asked to prove he could do it!
that is actually the floor of the State House of Representatives, and he was lobbying for a bill to be passed. Right before that, he said "and this is what will happen to your head if it doesn't pass." He was joking-I think o_O

Reactions: tikk10
that is actually the floor of the State House of Representatives, and he was lobbying for a bill to be passed. Right before that, he said "and this is what will happen to your head if it doesn't pass." He was joking-I think o_O
Thanks, I was wondering what the context was. Judging from the many youtube videos it seems like he'll do it whenever wherever for whoever asks.

Thanks, I was wondering what the context was. Judging from the many youtube videos it seems like he'll do it whenever wherever for whoever asks.
He is a heckuva nice guy, and you are right-as long as kids are involved. He loves to be around the kids. About 4 years ago we took a group to Perry for a beginner tournament and he volunteered me to be his demo partner for a little clinic. Still moved really well, and when he grabs you, you will get loose when he wants you to be loose, and not a second before!

"True," agrees the girl in lionlover's avatar. ;)

1008.jpg
Hey dogwelder, that was really funny! Did you (or anyone else) realize that this is a sculpture and not real people? This is actually located near a public road in New Jersey!

Have to agree on head gear. Not sure I recall any other wrestler at that level with as many head gear issues as JG. Has internally driven me nuts over last few seasons.

Yes, length as in "length of arms", not just legs, is very important as your hands don't need to be as strong if you're able to easily pull the other wrestler in due to the "length" of your arms and easily "wrapping up" the other wrestler (i.e., the shorter your arms, the more important your grip strength becomes especially in regards to an opponent not being able to break your hand-lock on a sprawl, etc....).
I am not disagreeing with the merits of having longer arms (easier to barr though) or strong hands. There are many other attributes as well - hips, balance, 'head', speed, etc. Simply saying that trying to pick out a couple of the attributes JG may not have can be done to most any one wrestler. Additionally, I would confidently speculate that there have been a few NCAA champs with short arms and small hands.

Has anyone actually shaken Jimmy's hand and knows they're small for his weight class, or is this message board hypothesizing?

Reactions: nitlion6
Has anyone actually shaken Jimmy's hand and knows they're small for his weight class, or is this message board hypothesizing?

Don't disagree with you - I've said nothing about the size of his hand or their strength. Have no idea how strong Jimmy's hands are or how strong his "hand-lock" / grip is. However, I've seen Jimmy struggle against length and when they were standing near one another, Jimmy locked slightly shorter than Cortez, a 33-pounder, so I am pretty confident that Jimmy is almost certainly not one of the taller 41-pounders in the nation. I'm guessing that Jimmy's arm length is one of the things that hurts him on finishing shots as it definitely is not the "depth" of his shots imho - Jimmy gets in beautiful position on many of his shots, but for whatever reason, at the peak of his shot (which again is quite deep), his momentum breaks down and a scramble often ensues where a moment earlier you thought for sure he was going to convert the shot.

I'll say it again. He hesitates before launching the finish. And that split second kills at this level. It's like he's being mechanical with his takedowns and breaking the action into steps in his head - and it's not steps, it's supposed to be one move.

No way. We don't want Dippery....Will keep it at that...He would never see the starting line up anyway..IMO

I do think Jimmy struggles with "length" at 141 - especially finishing shots and giving up scrambles, but you never know - a new year is a new year.
Jimmy will be much improved this year on finishing....More confident ! That was his main problem last year was his mind set once he got in deep !!!!

Last edited:
Jimmy will be much improved this year on finishing....More confident ! That was his main problem last year was his mind set once he got in deep !!!!
I do think there's reason to expect Jimmy this year will be more like his SO year. I've felt all along (and I know that I'm not alone) that confidence is Jimmy's biggest problem. He had it his SO year. I think going up to 141 wasn't so much a size issue as a confidence issue--the guys being bigger meant he had to adjust differently, but instead he lost confidence. With a fresh start and a year's experience, I think he will develop that confidence again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT