ADVERTISEMENT

PSU potential starting Line up

We will have 6 weight classes manned by different guys than last years National Championship Team.

McCutcheon and Rasheed battling for the 174 spot would be an interesting early season story line. I wonder where Flo would put McCutcheon if he were going 174 ... somewhere in the 7 to 10 range, I would guess.

McCutcheon and Rasheed battling for the 174 spot would be an interesting early season story line. I wonder where Flo would put McCutcheon if he were going 174 ... somewhere in the 7 to 10 range, I would guess.

I don't think Cutch can make 174 and think it's a lot more likely he goes to 197 if Nickal is at 184, but we will find out pretty soon now.

If Bo goes up to 184, Rasheed will go at 174, obviously. I wonder which weight Rasheed would feel is ideal? Normally you would think 174 would be better, but he was so big for 165, that maybe 184 would have suited him better? He sure has the length. Anyone hear what Rasheed's off-season weight was? I realize it's a moot point, as Rasheed will go wherever Bo isn't.

If Bo goes up to 184, Rasheed will go at 174, obviously. I wonder which weight Rasheed would feel is ideal? Normally you would think 174 would be better, but he was so big for 165, that maybe 184 would have suited him better? He sure has the length. Anyone hear what Rasheed's off-season weight was? I realize it's a moot point, as Rasheed will go wherever Bo isn't.

I'm with you and said it earlier in another thread. 165 was such a tough pull for Shakur last year, I have to wonder if 174 this year will be a lot different. On one hand, I remember from personal experience cutting to 167 my junior year of college took all I could give. The next year, 177 was almost as hard. Every individual is different, I know, but I have a gut feeling 174 could be nearly the same as 165 was last year for Shakur. He is very long and looked to have added a lot of weight between his last match and Nationals. I hope he can do 174, though. Except for gassing, his season was really good last year. Handled Walsh from Rider, who is ranked 6 at 165 this year, and had two AA at 165 beaten until his gas tank emptied. He could make a lot of noise at 174.

Or it could be that Nickal is staying put, Rasheed is Roar's pick for the 84 spot and Nevills is a "different guy."

My guess is that Nickal is heading to 84 and is determined to let the chips fall where they may. The coaches may steer, but I don't think they would overrule anything unless it was inseason. Rasheed WAS planning 84, but will now head to 74 with this news. Cutch? Probably defending his spot to start and then who knows (74, 97?) if he fails to.
He's been saying 174 since august it's not the newest of news to him. It'll be better than him at 165 that's all I can say

I think it was here where I read Dinmore was giving Jimmy all he could handle last year.

Do we know that to be the case, or was that just someone throwing shit against the wall?

Reactions: lionlover
I'm with you and said it earlier in another thread. 165 was such a tough pull for Shakur last year, I have to wonder if 174 this year will be a lot different. On one hand, I remember from personal experience cutting to 167 my junior year of college took all I could give. The next year, 177 was almost as hard. Every individual is different, I know, but I have a gut feeling 174 could be nearly the same as 165 was last year for Shakur. He is very long and looked to have added a lot of weight between his last match and Nationals. I hope he can do 174, though. Except for gassing, his season was really good last year. Handled Walsh from Rider, who is ranked 6 at 165 this year, and had two AA at 165 beaten until his gas tank emptied. He could make a lot of noise at 174.
And, in addition to having Rodrigues beaten, he also had AA McFadden beaten until he gassed.

I think it was here where I read Dinmore was giving Jimmy all he could handle last year.

Do we know that to be the case, or was that just someone throwing shit against the wall?
Was reported that Dinmore won the first wrestle off or indicator bout - whatever you want to call it - but it was not at weight. I think Jimmy reversed the result the next week at a weight closer to scratch. At least thats what i remember.

Shakur did not wrestle Walsh(Walsh was 157 last year), Shakur pinned Brennan(who was round of 12).

Reactions: lionlover
First match vs Army I predict the lineup to be the following. Nothing earth shattering, but I think this is how it shakes out.

125 Suriano
133 Cortez
141 Guillibon
149 Retherford
157 Nolf
165 Joseph
174 Rasheed
184 Nickal
197 Stout
285 Nevills

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
We've had radio silence on Cassar, which is super impressive by the guys in the program. Anybody heard anything?

We've had radio silence on Cassar, which is super impressive by the guys in the program. Anybody heard anything?
No, and it would be nice to get some tidbits, but I prefer it, for example, to the nonstop hype machine out of Columbus by Ryan and crew (e.g. circa 2015 "Boom! Hunter has never looked better! It could be banner-raising time again for the Wrestlebucks!").

But all that said, yeah, anyone heard anything? I believe the last news we heard was that the surgery went great but that was about a year ago

First match vs Army I predict the lineup to be the following. Nothing earth shattering, but I think this is how it shakes out.

125 Suriano
133 Cortez
141 Guillibon
149 Retherford
157 Nolf
165 Joseph
174 Rasheed
184 Nickal
197 Stout
285 Nevills

I'm in the camp of those who think Rasheed would struggle at 174, just like last year. I believe there is a better shot for him at 97 and we will need him if AC does not heal. Mouse will go down to 74 if Bo is at 84.

Of course Bo to 84 could mean Hall is going to go, maybe the second half of the year, like Snyder last year or from the start. I think there is a better chance to see Hall at 74 than Rasheed........rats.;)

I think Rasheed is going to compete with Morelli for 174.
Matt is pretty thick. If he can't beat Bo (which would shock me if he did) I would expect Matt to compete with Stout and eventually Cassar for the 97 pound spot.

I think Rasheed is going to compete with Morelli for 174.
Matt is pretty thick. If he can't beat Bo (which would shock me if he did) I would expect Matt to compete with Stout and eventually Cassar for the 97 pound spot.

I agree. I don't think there is any way Cutch goes down to 174. With the injury problems both Cassar and Cutch have had I like that we may have 3 guys competing for the spot at 197.

I'm just curious as to how anyone thinks Mouse can (1) get to and maintain 174 for a full season and (2) be effective there for a full season.

He last wrestled below 182 during his HS soph year. Cael's guys grow, not shrink. And cutting more weight -- i.e., losing muscle -- would make him more susceptible to injury.

Is there some info I'm missing?

Or is this a message board wish list?

No, and it would be nice to get some tidbits, but I prefer it, for example, to the nonstop hype machine out of Columbus by Ryan and crew (e.g. circa 2015 "Boom! Hunter has never looked better! It could be banner-raising time again for the Wrestlebucks!").
You mean BoJo didn't deadlift his way out of bottom last night? That was a heckuva lot of weight he twerked.

I'm just curious as to how anyone thinks Mouse can (1) get to and maintain 174 for a full season and (2) be effective there for a full season.

He last wrestled below 182 during his HS soph year. Cael's guys grow, not shrink. And cutting more weight -- i.e., losing muscle -- would make him more susceptible to injury.

My wish is that everyone realizes that the team is stronger with Bo at 74.

Reactions: purescurve
My wish is that everyone realizes that the team is stronger with Bo at 74.

I would say it's more likely the team is better, but honestly who knows, maybe Rasheed becomes superman after not cutting as much.

We know what we're getting in Mac and Bo at 84 and 74. We don't know as much if it's Bo and Rasheed. Doesn't mean it can't be a better squad.

As always, I will defer to the coaches. I think Jefe made some great points

I think we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting with Rasheed, if he's at a good weight for him. He's very, very talented. The same with Cutch, if he's healthy and at a good weight.
I would say it's more likely the team is better, but honestly who knows, maybe Rasheed becomes superman after not cutting as much.

We know what we're getting in Mac and Bo at 84 and 74. We don't know as much if it's Bo and Rasheed. Doesn't mean it can't be a better squad.

As always, I will defer to the coaches. I think Jefe made some great points

I think we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting with Rasheed, if he's at a good weight for him. He's very, very talented. The same with Cutch, if he's healthy and at a good weight. If Bo goes at 184, which seems likely, Rasheed should do very well at 174 (assuming he hasn't grown out of that too) and Cutch should be competitive for 197.

I think we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting with Rasheed, if he's at a good weight for him. He's very, very talented. The same with Cutch, if he's healthy and at a good weight.

I think we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting with Rasheed, if he's at a good weight for him. He's very, very talented. The same with Cutch, if he's healthy and at a good weight. If Bo goes at 184, which seems likely, Rasheed should do very well at 174 (assuming he hasn't grown out of that too) and Cutch should be competitive for 197.

I'm comfortable saying McCutcheon is a solid AA projection at 84. Rasheed, I don't know. Could be an AA, could win 1 match. We all point to the conditioning but he still got beat by some solid guys like Jim Wilson and Logan Massa when it wasn't an issue. So I'm not as comfortable saying Rasheed is going to be as good at 74 as Matt at 84. Adjusting to the weight gains, even though Penn State has been really good at it, isn't a given either. Those are the reasons behind my assessment. That being said, I am in the optimistic camp that Rasheed can get to the podium.

Since it's clear to me now I'll never get a BSD post written about it...here's the info I got, from 3 different highly credible sources. For each bullet, first number = number of confirmed sources and second number = my confidence in its validity, out of 10:
  • Nickal only certified at 184, cannot compete collegiately at 174 at all this season. (3 / 10)
  • McCutcheon certified at 174. His minimum allowed weight is 174.0. On the dot. (2 / 10)
  • McCutcheon & Nickal will wrestle off for 184 next week, 10/18 - 10/20. (2 / 10)
  • Morelli certified at 174, but not 165. (1 / 9)
  • Cassar hasn't been cleared to compete (1 / 10)
Here are some personal guesses / takes from all of that:
  • Nickal winning 184 is not at all automatic
  • I'd guess Cael is....let's call it disappointed... with Nickal for not certing at 174
  • Probably also pissed at Morelli for not certing at 165
  • Very curious how Cael manages this situation--even more so if McCutcheon wins whatever the coaches structure the wrestleoffs as, across three days. Although then my curiosity will include how Nickal manages the situation
  • McCutcheon cutting to 174 would be brutal af, but is still considered realistically viable--for now--by himself and the coaches
  • If Nickal wins, McCutcheon will probably try to cut to 174 and compete there in Reno. I'm curious af to picture what cutting to 174.0, but not to 173.9 looks like
  • Cassar may not be cleared all year
  • For 197, if Nickal wins, I'd guess Stout will start the season. If McCutcheon wins, I'd guess Nickal will start the season
  • I'd guess McCutcheon *can* make 174 for Reno, but will be so uncomfortable that he'll abandon it before season's end.
Standard caveats:
- yes, this is a message board
- no, I'm not a "journalist"
- yes, I worked hard sharing this info correctly, with correct info parameters to each bullet and correct attribution counts
- yes, I was given permission to share each bullet anonymously
- yes, I'm scared as schitt I'm messing up by so doing
- in the end, I decided to share because I think the info brings more value, to more people (I've always gotten a lot out of getting room info from others) than it possibly might do in drama damage
- I hope you'll be kind with your feedback

Since it's clear to me now I'll never get a BSD post written about it...here's the info I got, from 3 different highly credible sources. For each bullet, first number = number of confirmed sources and second number = my confidence in its validity, out of 10:
  • Nickal only certified at 184, cannot compete collegiately at 174 at all this season. (3 / 10)
  • McCutcheon certified at 174. His minimum allowed weight is 174.0. On the dot. (2 / 10)
  • McCutcheon & Nickal will wrestle off for 184 next week, 10/18 - 10/20. (2 / 10)
  • Morelli certified at 174, but not 165. (1 / 9)
  • Cassar hasn't been cleared to compete (1 / 10)
Here are some personal guesses / takes from all of that:
  • Nickal winning 184 is not at all automatic
  • I'd guess Cael is....let's call it disappointed... with Nickal for not certing at 174
  • Probably also pissed at Morelli for not certing at 165
  • Very curious how Cael manages this situation--even more so if McCutcheon wins whatever the coaches structure the wrestleoffs as, across three days. Although then my curiosity will include how Nickal manages the situation
  • McCutcheon cutting to 174 would be brutal af, but is still considered realistically viable--for now--by himself and the coaches
  • If Nickal wins, McCutcheon will probably try to cut to 174 and compete there in Reno. I'm curious af to picture what cutting to 174.0, but not to 173.9 looks like
  • Cassar may not be cleared all year
  • For 197, if Nickal wins, I'd guess Stout will start the season. If McCutcheon wins, I'd guess Nickal will start the season
  • I'd guess McCutcheon *can* make 174 for Reno, but will be so uncomfortable that he'll abandon it before season's end.
Standard caveats:
- yes, this is a message board
- no, I'm not a "journalist"
- yes, I worked hard sharing this info correctly, with correct info parameters to each bullet and correct attribution counts
- yes, I was given permission to share each bullet anonymously
- yes, I'm scared as schitt I'm messing up by so doing
- in the end, I decided to share because I think the info brings more value, to more people (I've always gotten a lot out of getting room info from others) than it possibly might do in drama damage
- I hope you'll be kind with your feedback

JP....You the man!

Reactions: diggerpup
interesting info. 174 too low for Cutch to be effective IMO, and he is too small for 197. Don't know Bo's situation, but it doesn't sound like Cael would be too happy with him. But I bet it all works out.

I'm comfortable saying McCutcheon is a solid AA projection at 84.
Given his chronic back and knee issues, I'm not comfortable in projecting anything about Matt. When he's healthy, yes all day. What will we be getting in March is my concern.

Is Brill still on the squad? The official roster suggests so. Is he that far behind Morelli or Rasheed that nobody mentions him in the mix at 174 if Bo goes up and Hall red shirts?

Reactions: Maddog
Given his chronic back and knee issues, I'm not comfortable in projecting anything about Matt. When he's healthy, yes all day. What will we be getting in March is my concern.

I see what you're saying. I look at it as any wrestler can get hurt at any time, so I don't like projecting like that. Though it is a valid concern. I will usually assume a wrestler is healthy when thinking about these projections.

I'm at work and can't look this up: what weight allowances are given at what points during the season?

Reason: if Mouse can't wrestle at 173.9 or at 174.1, then effectively he can't wrestle at 174. There is zero chance the coaches risk weight DQ at B10s or nationals over scale variability within spec tolerances.

And that's before any questions about effectiveness ...

Reactions: diggerpup
I'm at work and can't look this up: what weight allowances are given at what points during the season?

Reason: if Mouse can't wrestle at 173.9 or at 174.1, then effectively he can't wrestle at 174. There is zero chance the coaches risk weight DQ at B10s or nationals over scale variability within spec tolerances.

Why wouldn't he be able to wrestle at 174.1?

Reactions: Blackcat97
What are the practical implications of certifying at 174.0? Don't wrestlers often check their weight pre-weigh in on an alternate scale that might be +/- 0.2 or so from the official scale?

The only weight allowances are for multiple day tournaments. 1 pound on Day 2 and 2 pounds on Day 3.

That's not how it works...that's not how any of this works!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT