ADVERTISEMENT

PSU potential starting Line up

I do think there's reason to expect Jimmy this year will be more like his SO year. I've felt all along (and I know that I'm not alone) that confidence is Jimmy's biggest problem. He had it his SO year. I think going up to 141 wasn't so much a size issue as a confidence issue--the guys being bigger meant he had to adjust differently, but instead he lost confidence. With a fresh start and a year's experience, I think he will develop that confidence again.
If he's rockin a mullet the confidence is there!

Hey dogwelder, that was really funny! Did you (or anyone else) realize that this is a sculpture and not real people? This is actually located near a public road in New Jersey!
What!?

I suppose next you'll be telling me that Zain is just a man and is not a pretzel-tying cyborg sent from the future. I ain't buying it. ;)

Reactions: Deanne
What!?

I suppose next you'll be telling me that Zain is just a man and is not a pretzel-tying cyborg sent from the future. I ain't buying it. ;)
I know, it is too funny, right? I love how some people had no clue (When the picture is small it's hard to see the rigid outline of the sculpture) and think I was a pervert for taking a picture of something like this when this is actually art literally on public display!
Then again...I do have a perverted sense of humor at times, so I can understand the thoughts of those that know my history on these boards. ;)
The statues in the picture are actually located outside of the Hamilton Train Station in NJ. You can see them for free. However, if you want to see a lot of fabulous sculpture, The Grounds For Sculpture, is definitely a place worth visiting. Something nice to do in the wrestling off season. :)
http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/
@Dogwelder

I know, it is too funny, right? I love how some people had no clue (When the picture is small it's hard to see the rigid outline of the sculpture) and think I was a pervert for taking a picture of something like this when this is actually art literally on public display!
Then again...I do have a perverted sense of humor at times, so I can understand the thoughts of those that know my history on these boards. ;)
The statues in the picture are actually located outside of the Hamilton Train Station in NJ. You can see them for free. However, if you want to see a lot of fabulous sculpture, The Grounds For Sculpture, is definitely a place worth visiting. Something nice to do in the wrestling off season. :)
http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/
@Dogwelder

Most Jersey Girls are well sculpted.

I do think there's reason to expect Jimmy this year will be more like his SO year. I've felt all along (and I know that I'm not alone) that confidence is Jimmy's biggest problem. He had it his SO year. I think going up to 141 wasn't so much a size issue as a confidence issue--the guys being bigger meant he had to adjust differently, but instead he lost confidence. With a fresh start and a year's experience, I think he will develop that confidence again.
When do we stop giving a 4x PA state champ and 4 year veteran in the room a pass on "confidence"? He hasn't done it yet and this is his last chance. He's simply not that good. I'm pulling for a high AA but I'm not holding my breath. And I'm not dreaming up fixes for him that Cael never thought of.

When do we stop giving a 4x PA state champ and 4 year veteran in the room a pass on "confidence"? He hasn't done it yet and this is his last chance. He's simply not that good. I'm pulling for a high AA but I'm not holding my breath. And I'm not dreaming up fixes for him that Cael never thought of.
I mean him at 133 was a different story

I'll say it again. He hesitates before launching the finish. And that split second kills at this level. It's like he's being mechanical with his takedowns and breaking the action into steps in his head - and it's not steps, it's supposed to be one move.

+1

I personally believe this talk about small hands and arms is BS. Lots and lots of very successful wrestlers are built like Jimmy. His issues are mechanical as matter7172 described and also mental. He had the same issues as a frosh and it seems to have returned last year. I would not discount the impact of his ankle issue either.

Rooting for the kid!

Reactions: papa_ed
Has anyone actually shaken Jimmy's hand and knows they're small for his weight class, or is this message board hypothesizing?
I have read this in numerous posts over time. I cannot agree more Jefe. Does anyone know he has small hands for his size. I can't tell from where I sit.

Small hands big hands, even if he smells like cabbage......... I don't care I will root for him like hell this year. Would love to see him finish his career on a high note. He deserves it.

You guys and your first world problems! Jimmy is a solid wrestler and has already achieved AA status once and very well could for a 2/nd time this year. A two time AA isn't chopped liver. I agree he has a tough time finishing shots and a bit of trouble on bottom. I have seen great high school wrestlers fail to a much greater degree than he has. Seems to conduct himself well and has not been a black eye on the program in any way. Everyone here is so spoiled by the super star point scorers that have graced this lineup since Cael arrived. Guys like Taylor,Ruth,Nico,Zain,Nolf,Bo,Morgan,Q, and Frank don't just grow on trees anywhere except PSU.

You guys and your first world problems! Jimmy is a solid wrestler and has already achieved AA status once and very well could for a 2/nd time this year. A two time AA isn't chopped liver. I agree he has a tough time finishing shots and a bit of trouble on bottom. I have seen great high school wrestlers fail to a much greater degree than he has. Seems to conduct himself well and has not been a black eye on the program in any way. Everyone here is so spoiled by the super star point scorers that have graced this lineup since Cael arrived. Guys like Taylor,Ruth,Nico,Zain,Nolf,Bo,Morgan,Q, and Frank don't just grow on trees anywhere except PSU.
It's a fan problem, because of his high school accomplishments, a lot people had very high, hopeful expectations for Jimmy.

Last 3 4-time PIAA champs:

Jimmy Gulibon
Thomas Haines
Chance Marstellar

For one reason or another, hasn't translated to great college success.

FM--You seem to be pretty critical of Jimmy. He's already been an AA as a SO (5th)--that proves he's good. Just because you're good and talented doesn't mean you might not struggle with confidence issues. I don't know for sure how Jimmy and the coaches will work that out this year, but I'm sure behind him and support him. And I'm optimistic.

Last 3 4-time PIAA champs:

Jimmy Gulibon
Thomas Haines
Chance Marstellar

For one reason or another, hasn't translated to great college success.
4x PA champ has been a mixed bag:

NCAA champs: Kolat (2x), Hughes, Hunter
AAs: Johnson (2nd), Maurey (3x 3rd), Gulibon (5th)
DNP: Moore, Crawford, Conklin
DNQ: Gerhard, Haines, Marsteller

Interesting note: all of the champs, and all but one of the AAs, wrestled at Penn State. The non-AAs never wrestled for Penn State. (Correction: Gerhard was at PSU for 1 year before transferring to Pitt.)

Last edited:
137174222162443.jpg

J.P., when you're right.....you're right. Nuff said.

FM--You seem to be pretty critical of Jimmy. He's already been an AA as a SO (5th)--that proves he's good. Just because you're good and talented doesn't mean you might not struggle with confidence issues. I don't know for sure how Jimmy and the coaches will work that out this year, but I'm sure behind him and support him. And I'm optimistic.

Not sure I buy the whole "it's only confidence" thing. Jimmy habitually makes beautiful, clean, deep shots and the momentum of those shots routinely breaks down right at the peak-depth of his shot where he's got maximum leverage on his opponent. If it didn't happen so frequently, I might agree it isn't something mechanical or "form" related, but given the regularity of its occurrence, I'm completely unsold on it being completely mental - in any event, if it is form- / mechanical-related, I can't think of better people to come up with tactics and strategies to fix it than Cael and Tank. If Jimmy learned to convert early quality TDs, he could become a machine because he is a hammer on top when he gets out front in the 1st (either by his own choice or his opponent's who is force to choose bottom in an attempt to come back from a point deficit). Jimmy is a completely different wrestler when he's wrestling from out-front and dictating the tone of the match - he can be a hammer when he gets out front in the 1st.

Not sure I buy the whole "it's only confidence" thing. Jimmy habitually makes beautiful, clean, deep shots and the momentum of those shots routinely breaks down right at the peak-depth of his shot where he's got maximum leverage on his opponent. If it didn't happen so frequently, I might agree it isn't something mechanical or "form" related, but given the regularity of its occurrence, I'm completely unsold on it being completely mental - in any event, if it is form- / mechanical-related, I can't think of better people to come up with tactics and strategies to fix it than Cael and Tank. If Jimmy learned to convert early quality TDs, he could become a machine because he is a hammer on top when he gets out front in the 1st (either by his own choice or his opponent's who is force to choose bottom in an attempt to come back from a point deficit). Jimmy is a completely different wrestler when he's wrestling from out-front and dictating the tone of the match - he can be a hammer when he gets out front in the 1st.
You make some good points, FRTT, but I still believe that confidence is his #1 issue. His SO year he was finishing his TD's very well--Clark, Richards, Taylor etc. It looked to me last year, that his shots weren't finished because he didn't seem to believe that he would be able to convert, he looked more tentative (even when getting in deep), as if he was surprised to have gotten in that deep. The hesitation gave his opponent time to react. I could be wrong, I've been so before, just ask my wife!

I'm your huckleberry, what do you want to wager? Will have some great pictures soon of me wearing a PSU shirt with John and Eric right after the weekend of Oct 22.
Right after that picture is posted I would be more than happy to wager something paid to agreed upon charity or sports organization.

I would take
If McCutcheon is the starter @ 184 and he is healthy at the conclusion of the regular season he places top 8 at 184 @ NCAAs.

Agree!
Matt_Brown_Hulk_Hands.png

Right after that picture is posted I would be more than happy to wager something paid to agreed upon charity or sports organization.

I would take
If McCutcheon is the starter @ 184 and he is healthy at the conclusion of the regular season he places top 8 at 184 @ NCAAs.

I would take the bet with either McCutcheon or Rasheed

I would take
From as high as a top 4 finish to top 8? We can meet in the middle, top 6 bet? As for healthy, who is by season end. If he shows up at National he's healthy!

From as high as a top 4 finish to top 8? We can meet in the middle, top 6 bet? As for healthy, who is by season end. If he shows up at National he's healthy!
Since we are negotiating - I can agree on if he is post-season starter he is healthy enough, then you should be able to agree AA status, top 8.

After picture is posted we can discuss how much and which charity/sports organization.

Since we are negotiating - I can agree on if he is post-season starter he is healthy enough, then you should be able to agree AA status, top 8.

After picture is posted we can discuss how much and which charity/sports organization.
Top 6 Nit and we're good.

Mike,

We'll have to wait until we see who steps onto the mat, but if it is Matt it has to be AA.

Little give and take.

We will have 6 weight classes manned by different guys than last years National Championship Team.

Roar, are you counting Nevills as one of the 6 or one of the 4 since he was barely in the lineup last year?

The National Championship team, as Roar referenced, had Nevills at 285.

Now goethe may be on to something, if Roars is making the point that Nevills is a "different guy" this year.

It's not the same guy at 285. He was hurt IMO

But, if Nevills isn't being counted, then who is the 4th person he's referring too? If Nickal and Cutch were staying put and being counted as returning starters, then we'd have 5.

Or, Roar just needed a good chuckle.

Hmmm, is this a scoop, Roar?
Four of those weight classes I think most of us were aware of - 125, 133, 165 and 197. So the real story is does Bo go to 184? If so, that gives the two additional changes at 174 and 184. I hope Bo stays at 174.

But, if Nevills isn't being counted, then who is the 4th person he's referring too? If Nickal and Cutch were staying put and being counted as returning starters, then we'd have 5.

Or, Roar just needed a good chuckle.

Or it could be that Nickal is staying put, Rasheed is Roar's pick for the 84 spot and Nevills is a "different guy."

My guess is that Nickal is heading to 84 and is determined to let the chips fall where they may. The coaches may steer, but I don't think they would overrule anything unless it was inseason. Rasheed WAS planning 84, but will now head to 74 with this news. Cutch? Probably defending his spot to start and then who knows (74, 97?) if he fails to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT