ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Vs. Ohio St.

PAallDAY

Feb 1, 2019
Just looking for some early thoughts on the dual. Certainly seems like it could be close. They seem to match up better than Michigan did. Looks to me like it will be 5 - 5 and come down to bonus. We gotta come ready to go.

Just looking for some early thoughts on the dual. Certainly seems like it could be close. They seem to match up better than Michigan did. Looks to me like it will be 5 - 5 and come down to bonus. We gotta come ready to go.
I think the 5-5 split is very possible. After watching matches the last couple weeks, I think a healthy RBY could knock off Pletcher. I’m looking forward to 184 but am concerned about Rasheed’s gas tank. I can’t wait for 197 and feel more confident about Bo in this match than ever, but Moore is the only guy at that weight who makes me nervous. I think Cassar will get bonus. I hope whoever goes at 149 can wrestle hard for 7 minutes. I think the blue and white faithful go home happy.

I think the 5-5 split is very possible. After watching matches the last couple weeks, I think a healthy RBY could knock off Pletcher. I’m looking forward to 184 but am concerned about Rasheed’s gas tank. I can’t wait for 197 and feel more confident about Bo in this match than ever, but Moore is the only guy at that weight who makes me nervous. I think Cassar will get bonus. I hope whoever goes at 149 can wrestle hard for 7 minutes. I think the blue and white faithful go home happy.

Rasheed’s gas tank?

Reactions: nittanymathead
I thought he appeared to gas a bit on Friday. No judgment or insult there - it’s to be expected coming back from injury.
It was either gas tank or possibly he was re-injured during the match. Was doing well and suddenly it was like a light was switched off and hung on. To be honest we don't know how much he has trained the last few weeks.

This is one match where I hope Cael does not start at 125. Ohio State favored in the first 4 matches, if they win all 4, pick up some bonus, they can stall their butts off during the 5 matches PSU is favored. Plus after Shak's performance on Friday, another one like that this week, Martin picks up bonus. Going to be an interesting match on Friday. Would be nice if PSU can steal either 125 or 133.

It was either gas tank or possibly he was re-injured during the match. Was doing well and suddenly it was like a light was switched off and hung on. To be honest we don't know how much he has trained the last few weeks.

This is one match where I hope Cael does not start at 125. Ohio State favored in the first 4 matches, if they win all 4, pick up some bonus, they can stall their butts off during the 5 matches PSU is favored. Plus after Shak's performance on Friday, another one like that this week, Martin picks up bonus. Going to be an interesting match on Friday. Would be nice if PSU can steal either 125 or 133.
From the amount RBY was limping when congratulating AC and such, I don’t see him going.

As for Shak, looks like he may have pivoted and tweaked the inside of the ankle. That said, he moved well when he stood up and for the rest of the match. I, too, thought he looked tired.

Reactions: dunkej01
If they don’t get bonus at 133 and 184 they can’t win. Obviously with healthy RBY and Shak it’s a PSU victory, especially since I think a healthy RBY wins which would give a 6-4 split.

I don’t see RBY going so they will pick up a point here. If Shak doesn’t go we give up 3 more points as anyone else we send out gets pinned. If this happens we in big trouble.

If Bo packs Moore, PSU wins no matter what and I can actually see this happening but can’t count on that.

PSU will pick up bonus at 157,165 and HWT. We need to pick up at least 4 points from these 3 weights to match what we give up at 133 and 184 without RBY and Shak.

Need our 125 and 149 not to give up bonus.

If Bo gets bonus on Moore, it’s be HUGE

We need the same fight that we saw out of Schnupp against UM to get it done at OSU. The underdogs at 25, 33, 41, 49, and 84 need to wrestle hard for 7 minutes. This will be no small feet considering that guys coming off injury or illness typically face conditioning issues.The rest need to do what they do against opponents that will be doing everything in their power to try to keep an inevitable L to 3 points.

McKenna appears to be hurting. Could have a huge impact on the dual.

Either way, I think we win on bonus points.

If they don’t get bonus at 133 and 184 they can’t win. Obviously with healthy RBY and Shak it’s a PSU victory, especially since I think a healthy RBY wins which would give a 6-4 split.

I don’t see RBY going so they will pick up a point here. If Shak doesn’t go we give up 3 more points as anyone else we send out gets pinned. If this happens we in big trouble.

If Bo packs Moore, PSU wins no matter what and I can actually see this happening but can’t count on that.

PSU will pick up bonus at 157,165 and HWT. We need to pick up at least 4 points from these 3 weights to match what we give up at 133 and 184 without RBY and Shak.

Need our 125 and 149 not to give up bonus.

If Bo gets bonus on Moore, it’s be HUGE
Mark will get bonus. He’ll be up for this. Smith is good but inexperienced- he might fall for the mixer

I suspect last year must have left a really bad taste in their mouth. Revenge for last year, the incentive to end our dual streak, the bitterness about the lack of tickets for last years dual, us coming to Ohio and stealing the national title they felt was theirs, the fact that these two teams don't like each other much and the home advantage means an uber motivated tOSU squad and a super fired up crowd.

Our guys never seem to have trouble matching an opponents intensity. Also, there hasn't been a team loss for the 4 years Bo and Jason have been in the lineup. If they win against TOSU, they'll almost certainly finish their careers without a team loss in duals. So I'd expect our guys to match their intensity.

I'm expecting a dogfight, and if RBY and or Berge don't go, we'll have a more difficult path to victory.

Last edited:
I suspect last year must have left a really bad taste in their mouth. Revenge for last year, the incentive to end our dual streak, the bitterness about the lack of tickets for last years dual, us coming to Ohio and stealing the national title they felt was theirs, the fact that these two teams don't like each other much and the home advantage means an uber motivated tOSU squad and a super fired up crowd.

Our guys never seem to have trouble matching an opponents intensity. Also, Bo and Jason haven't lost a dual in their 4 years in the lineup. If they win against TOSU, they'll almost certainly finish their careers having gone undefeated in duals. So I'd expect our guys to match their intensity.

I'm expecting a dogfight, and if RBY and or Berge don't go, we'll have a much smaller margin for error.
That first paragraph is probably all true and I think it’s actuslly a benefit for us because I don’t think Ryan is good at controlling emotions. I could see several of their guys wilt because of it

Classic Kipling - “If you can keep your wits about you while all others are losing theirs ...”

Our guys never seem to have trouble matching an opponents intensity. Also, Bo and Jason haven't lost a dual in their 4 years in the lineup. If they win against TOSU, they'll almost certainly finish their careers having gone undefeated in duals. So I'd expect our guys to match their intensity.

I'm expecting a dogfight, and if RBY and or Berge don't go, we'll have a more difficult path to victory.

Didn’t Bo lose to Jackson from Indiana his RSFR year in a dual?

Didn’t Bo lose to Jackson from Indiana his RSFR year in a dual?

Sorry I meant to say the team is undefeated in duals in those 4 years, not individually undefeated. Edited my previous comment to clarify, thanks.

Reactions: Tjsch1

The biggest question about the dual meet for me is ...will osu break out the red robes again this year ... lol

Reactions: Ja1339

Our guys never seem to have trouble matching an opponents intensity. Also, there hasn't been a team loss for the 4 years Bo and Jason have been in the lineup. If they win against TOSU, they'll almost certainly finish their careers without a team loss in duals. So I'd expect our guys to match their intensity.

You're forgetting their X-factor, they have positive infinity working in their favor!:p

For sake of comparison:

Ohio State 27, Northwestern 15

125: Sebastian Rivera (Northwestern) over Hunter Lucas (Ohio State) (MD 12-3)

133: Luke Pletcher (Ohio State) over Colin Valdivez (Northwestern) (Dec 9-4)

141: Alec McKenna (Northwestern) over Clay Ragon (Ohio State) (Dec 8-3)

149: Micah Jordan (Ohio State) over Shayne Oster (Northwestern) (Fall 1:47)

157: Ryan Deakin (Northwestern) over Ke-Shawn Hayes (Ohio State) (MD 8-0)

165: Te`Shan Campbell (Ohio State) over Tyler Morland (Northwestern) (Dec 6-0)

174: Ethan Smith (Ohio State) over Johnny Sebastian (Northwestern) (MD 11-3)

184: Myles Martin (Ohio State) over Brendan Devine (Northwestern) (Fall 0:42)

197: Kollin Moore (Ohio State) over Zachary Chakonis (Northwestern) (TF 19-4 7:00)

285: Conan Jennings (Northwestern) over Gary Traub (Ohio State) (MD 11-0)

Any rumors on McKenna? I think they really want to win this dual and I’m sure they see their path to victory especially if RBY is out. I think it would take a lot for him not to go and will be surprised if we don’t see him. But I haven’t heard anything on what the injury may be.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Any rumors on McKenna? I think they really want to win this dual and I’m sure they see their path to victory especially if RBY is out. I think it would take a lot for him not to go and will be surprised if we don’t see him. But I haven’t heard anything on what the injury may be.
Ohio State is pretty good school, could be the Buckeyes learned to keep the mouths shut

Reactions: lionlover
If his knee is tweaked. Sit him. The streak is nice but meaningless. The real prize is March and we need him healthy then.

While I totally agree I would hate to have Iowa be Big Ten Duals champs by not wrestling anyone. But, March is the real prize.....

I'm not suggesting they do it but would it help the team to wrestle Hall up at 84 against Martin and have maybe Manville go 74.. team points wise. Hall is so good could he overcome the weight difference? Hang with Martin and Manville at 74 possible shot at winning?? Just thinking outside the box?

If Rasheed needs to sit....

I'm not suggesting they do it but would it help the team to wrestle Hall up at 84 against Martin and have maybe Manville go 74.. team points wise. Hall is so good could he overcome the weight difference? Hang with Martin and Manville at 74 possible shot at winning?? Just thinking outside the box?

If Rasheed needs to sit....

1. Trust the process to get PSU to March. This isn’t part of the process.

2. Wild move like this smells of desperation.

3. Not how we would handle it.

I am surprised to the Big 10 dual champ is even a thing. It would ring pretty hollow if #1 missed out on wrestling #2, #3 and #4, while each of the those wrestled each other. Might have to be renamed the Big Duck Champ.

I love watching duals and find them really entertaining, but our streak and winning any one dual against a worthy foe has an element of luck. Someone is frequently out due to injury or illness. If we beat tOSU or not, all streaks come to an end. Individual and team national championship are the only measure that withstand the test of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT