ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Vs. Ohio St.

I love watching duals and find them really entertaining, but our streak and winning any one dual against a worthy foe has an element of luck. Someone is frequently out due to injury or illness. If we beat tOSU or not, all streaks come to an end. Individual and team national championship are the only measure that withstand the test of time.

Not true.

Reactions: Dogwelder
In all seriousness, if each team doesn't wrestle all the other teams in the conference, they should do away with the "dual meet championship". It's a farce.

Or have a conf championship dual, similar to football. That way, every third year when Iowa ducks PSU, UM, and tOSU, they get curb stomped in the East v West B10 Championship dual.

Reactions: dbldoofus
People need to pay more attention to Roar when he constantly posts:

“Trust the process. The process gets PSU to peak at Mid-March”

All of these brainstorm ideas destroy & disrupt the process.

Completely agree Diggerpup. But these crazy scenarios are fun to contemplate. Even though I think Marky v Mymar won't and shouldn't happen, it certainly is fun to think about it. Could you imagine the legendary post match celebration Mark would roll out after ending Mymar's perfect season? :)

Reactions: HOCKEYGOD11
Yeah..just kidding.. last time we went with the PSWC the tickets provided by tOSU to the PSWC were essentially all obstructed view of the mat.. Me, Mrs, Hockeygod, Roar and Mrs Roar all left our seats and went to the upper deck so we could see the mat..

Reactions: jtothemfp
If his knee is tweaked. Sit him. The streak is nice but meaningless. The real prize is March and we need him healthy then.

While I agree that the real prize is in March, I'll respectfully disagree that the streak is only nice but meaningless.

6500+ fans that almost blew the roof off Rec Hall when we beat tOSU last year would beg to differ. Also, based on our squad's performance, I'd say it really matters to them also.

Edit, I'm sure we would all agree that jeopardizing March to keep the streak is alive is a really bad idea, I just disagree with the streak being meaningless.

Last edited:
Have not been to Rec, but imagine that St John's a very similar venue.
Twice as big, actually. And if one is in the furthest confines of the upper deck, it is almost as far as Row Q in the BJC (but not quite).

Do we even know if Heinselman goes? Hunter Lucas has gone for OSU the past two matches against Illinois and Northwestern.

Someone on our boards speculated that Coach Ryan sent Heinselman to the open tournament to build up his D1 wins, so he is fully eligible for nationals. I dont recall the win criteria, or match criteria, but that would make sense.
For what its worth, Malik looked very good at the Edinboro open. He flipped a previous loss to L Cronin (Indiana) and beat Patrick McKee 14-8. I doubt the light suddenly came on in a week, or he grew 10 pounds since the scUM match, but he did look a lot better.

If we had lost last year's dual by even just one point would it make any difference if people were saying yeah, but the streak would still be alive if Nolf weren't injured?

The streak as it stands, is a testament to how increadibly awesome the core of this team (the funtastic 5) and those that surrounded them.

The house that Cael built is truly one for the ages.

If it keeps going past this Friday, awesome I will enjoy it! If it ends Friday, it was still awesome and I treasure every moment. Next year is more of a crap shoot, and it will end soon enough one way or another. Keep our eyes on March.

Have not been to Rec, but imagine that St John's a very similar venue.
St Johns Arena is our older multipurpose arena. Basketball team use to play there till Value City Arena was built in 1998.
St Johns is about 13k arena.
Honestly, I like watching wrestling at St John. Little more intimate than the larger Value City Arena, Most seats should be fine.
St Johns is on campus, just next to the football stadium. (Value City Arena is a bit northwest of campus and across the Olentangy river.

Parking is usually free for wrestling events. You should be able to get into the lot connected to St Johns by taking Lane Avenue. FYI- it takes long time to leave after the event. One exit with a traffic light. I usually hang out in the arena for a while. Then plan on reading my phone in the parking lot for a while before attempting to move. The Varsity Club is basically across the street from St Johns, so you can go get a drink after the match to kill time for the parking lot to empty.

Next year, the new wrestling facility opens. There will be a smaller arena built in to the wrestling center, for smaller matches. I think it will be 4k seats. I think the plans are to have the larger wrestling events at Value City (like Penn State, Iowa, scUM, etc), and the less-attended events at the new wrestling Center.

Remember the words of the incredibly strong, ice water in his veins, fierce and hilarious, Cenzo Joseph:

17. What college team or wrestler do you hate the most and why?
I try not to hate anybody, especially somebody I am competing against. Ohio State.

Better than the idiotic black out (hey, lets make it look like the place is empty!). But still derivative.

@RoarLions1 I am picking up a friend in OH, and then heading to Columbus. Is the bus stopping somewhere for dinner, before the match? Would love to hook up with the group.

I created a "Perma" comparison for MY predicted matchups (who knows who each coach will send out):

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/perma/307/ohio-state-vs-penn-state

Here's a the dual comparison where you can see the breakdown with the starters that are currently set:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/55/ohio-state/60/penn-state

You can always change the starters from that comparison page, then click the green button labeled "Create PermaLink for this lineup" to save and share with others.

All PermaLinks are saved and accessible from here so you can see what others have done to: https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/perma/select

I created a "Perma" comparison for MY predicted matchups (who knows who each coach will send out):

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/perma/307/ohio-state-vs-penn-state

Here's a the dual comparison where you can see the breakdown with the starters that are currently set:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/55/ohio-state/60/penn-state

You can always change the starters from that comparison page, then click the green button labeled "Create PermaLink for this lineup" to save and share with others.

All PermaLinks are saved and accessible from here so you can see what others have done to: https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/perma/select

If it comes down to one of Nickal OR Cassar getting bonus, I like our chances.

Fortunately we have the Raptor who has already proven that he can slay the dreaded Buckeyes. If the match is decided at heavy and we need bonus, have no fear, the Raptor is here.

Surprise pick of the Match: Berge wrestles and gives Jordan all he can handle and then some. Not predicting a win, but it will be tight and no bonus points involved.
WE ARE!!!
I do not disagree with this--How will Berge keep it close? Jordan very good on his feet, but still has bottom issues--Berge pretty good on his feet-at this point I am not real sure how good Berge top game is.

My thought is Berge keeps it close by counter take downs off Jordans shots

Looking at the match ups--Berge is our best shot at a upset.

If no RBY and no Shak I see OSU with 20 pts. Can Nolf, Hall, VJ, Nickal and Cassar beat that?

Reactions: Ski
Anyone know what time they are opening the doors Friday? I assume 7:00.

I do not disagree with this--How will Berge keep it close? Jordan very good on his feet, but still has bottom issues--Berge pretty good on his feet-at this point I am not real sure how good Berge top game is.

My thought is Berge keeps it close by counter take downs off Jordans shots

Looking at the match ups--Berge is our best shot at a upset.

I like both Berge's defense on his feet and his counters. I also think he can ride Jordan. Hell, almost anyone can ride Jordan!

Reactions: tabenn
Anyone know what time they are opening the doors Friday? I assume 7:00.

I dont
But, last week at the tOSU scUM match the doors opened at 6:00 for a 7:00 pm start. That was at Value City Arena.
But, I would assume 1 hour prior to start as well.
If you get there by 6:00, you should get a good close parking spot, in the lot on Lane Ave, on the north side of St Johns.

Reactions: amattaro
I like both Berge's defense on his feet and his counters. I also think he can ride Jordan. Hell, almost anyone can ride Jordan!

Even though Berge appears to be a good counter wrestler, he has shown limited offense on his feet this year. He also hasn't shown an ability to ride, really at all. I don't see this one being too close. Likely something in the 12-3 range for Jordan.

Even though Berge appears to be a good counter wrestler, he has shown limited offense on his feet this year. He also hasn't shown an ability to ride, really at all. I don't see this one being too close. Likely something in the 12-3 range for Jordan.

If somebody offered me Berge plus 9.5, I would bet the farm on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT