ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Vs. Ohio St.

I honestly don’t think RBY or Shak go. I don’t think Shak looked good at all. Hope I’m wrong.

I'm not suggesting they do it but would it help the team to wrestle Hall up at 84 against Martin and have maybe Manville go 74.. team points wise. Hall is so good could he overcome the weight difference? Hang with Martin and Manville at 74 possible shot at winning?? Just thinking outside the box?

If Rasheed needs to sit....

I would not do that because, let's face it, the Dual is just not that important. That said, your idea makes sense in that if this Dual determined the National Championship and we were in the same position injury-wise, it might give us a better chance to score more points. However, it would all hinge on your belief in Manville. If he lost we'd be worse off.

Reactions: Lyons212
Still trying to figure out how Iowa got the schedule they did. It's like the West division in football but even worse.

Call me crazy but I think Nick Lee can and will win in this dual. He looked off for a couple of matches but he is clicking now and can do the job.

McKenna has been wrestling great, the best I have ever seen him, up to this recent injury. Since we don't know what the injury is or what it has done, if anything, to his match conditioning it is hard to speculate.

What isn't hard to speculate though is if RBY and Shak do not go and we give up bonus points at those two weights, we will need Nick Lee to beat McKenna to win the dual. A tall order though.

Call me crazy but I think Nick Lee can and will win in this dual. He looked off for a couple of matches but he is clicking now and can do the job.

CRAZY!!

(You asked for it)

Actually I hope he can beat McKenna, especially if he isnt 100%
He should be able to grab bonus against a sub.

I'll be cheering hard for a NLee win as he's one of my favorite wrestlers on the team. It will probably take a perfect match by him as this year's McKenna looks even better than last year's McKenna up to this point in the few matches I've seen. If McKenna is still dinged up, maybe NLee beats an 80% McKenna

Reactions: Str8DBLz
... Line 'em up, start at 125 (Cael's preference), and may the best team win.
The scientific reason to start at 125 is: if you start at 285, and those behemoths break the mat, then nobody can wrestle. But if you start at 125, then 9 of 10 weights will have already wrestled by the time the 285 pounders break the mat. I heard it from a Nebraska student announcer. He took a management course once.

Last edited:
I am surprised to the Big 10 dual champ is even a thing. It would ring pretty hollow if #1 missed out on wrestling #2, #3 and #4, while each of the those wrestled each other. Might have to be renamed the Big Duck Champ.

In all seriousness, if each team doesn't wrestle all the other teams in the conference, they should do away with the "dual meet championship". It's a farce.

In all seriousness, if each team doesn't wrestle all the other teams in the conference, they should do away with the "dual meet championship". It's a farce.

Fact is hardly anyone pays any attention to that anyway. Until we won it a few years back I didn't even know the BIG recognized the dual meet champ.

warning crazy idea ahead:

how long would a descent from 197 to 184 take? 1.5% per week would be 5 weeks by my calculations. is it possible bo has been cutting extra weight to take on mymar in the dual? he's only looked like himself (read: first period pin) once since the scuffle. and hey look at that, from scuffle to ohio state dual is right about 5 weeks.

i haven't figured out the part where it benefits the team in any way, someone would still need to wrestle moore. maybe cassar is coming down as well to repeat last year and nevills gets his final dual.

how long would a descent from 197 to 184 take? 1.5% per week would be 5 weeks by my calculations. is it possible bo has been cutting extra weight to take on mymar in the dual? he's only looked like himself (read: first period pin) once since the scuffle. and hey look at that, from scuffle to ohio state dual is right about 5 weeks.

i haven't figured out the part where it benefits the team in any way, someone would still need to wrestle moore. maybe cassar is coming down as well to repeat last year and nevills gets his final dual.

The Bo suggestion was intriguing, Cassar? The only way he makes 197 again is if a leg is amputated.

Cassar would have to drop 30+ pounds then put it back on for NCAA's or would they all maintain these weights though NCAA's? Also Shak is a hammer at 184 so I would hate to see him not get a trip to NCAA's

Cassar would have to drop 30+ pounds then put it back on for NCAA's or would they all maintain these weights though NCAA's? Also Shak is a hammer at 184 so I would hate to see him not get a trip to NCAA's

People need to pay more attention to Roar when he constantly posts:

“Trust the process. The process gets PSU to peak at Mid-March”

All of these brainstorm ideas destroy & disrupt the process.

Or, we can just beat them straight up because that's what we do at Penn State. :)

It most likely comes down to bonus.

And I'll take Nolf + VJ + Hall + Nickal + Cassar to beat Heinselman + Pletcher + McKenna + Jordan + MyMar.

Reactions: diggerpup
I don’t think it’s a given that Heinselman beats Schnupp.

Schnupp is gonna scrap.

Me neither. I also don't think it's a given that McKenna beats Lee.

But I think we're the underdog in both of those matches.

Reactions: Dogwelder
It's a Shame such a marquee matchup will probably be decided by injury and what team has a better chance of bonus vs the subs. Unfortunately it seems we may come up on the short end of the stick on that front this year.

If RBY and/or Shak don't go it could be 6 points each, most assuredly bonus in both.

I think McKenna is on track to be a national champion this year unfortunately, and Nick would need his A++ game to beat him. Probably a 2 out if 10 proposition. I suspect Joey is banged up so Tom rested him as a precaution and he will be close to 100% on Friday.

I want to see a healthy at weight Berge fired up and aggressive, fingers crossed.

It would have been sweet to have seen Teasdale go at 125 this week, but alas the post Nico 125 curse continues. I do think that Schnupp has more than a fighters chance. Too bad he doesn't have a home field crowd cheering him on.

We really need bonus in multiple matches and I hope Nolf, Nickal deliver big and either Mark or VJ silencing the crowd a bit.

Reactions: Ski
I'm not sure that Pletcher will push for more than a MD if we send Stossel out again at 133. Bonus has never been Pletcher's MO even when he's capable of it. Stossel managed to "slow down" Micic

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
This could be one of the more frustrating duals to watch. With so many weights having a clearly defined favorite, we could see a whole lot of wrestling to minimize bonus. From both teams.

If RBY and Shak sit, everything other than 125, 141, 197 is probably going that way.

125 -3
133 -5
141--3
149 -4
157 +5
165 +4
174 +6
184 -6
197 +3
285 +4
No Shak, no RBY, no 141 upset, no bonus from Bo. PSU still wins 22-21. Hall is big in this dual. If it starts at 125 and tOSU doesn't have a double digit lead after 149 it is over.

I think Hall is more likely to win by Dec than Pin. Smith has been wrestling tough.

I don’t think it’s a given that Heinselman beats Schnupp.

Schnupp is gonna scrap.
Not a given but I'm not crazy about the matchup as too many got to Devin's legs fairly easy this year and Heinselman is pretty quick with some clean finishes. Hope I'm wrong

It's a Shame such a marquee matchup will probably be decided by injury and what team has a better chance of bonus vs the subs. Unfortunately it seems we may come up on the short end of the stick on that front this year.

If RBY and/or Shak don't go it could be 6 points each, most assuredly bonus in both.

I think McKenna is on track to be a national champion this year unfortunately, and Nick would need his A++ game to beat him. Probably a 2 out if 10 proposition. I suspect Joey is banged up so Tom rested him as a precaution and he will be close to 100% on Friday.

I want to see a healthy at weight Berge fired up and aggressive, fingers crossed.

It would have been sweet to have seen Teasdale go at 125 this week, but alas the post Nico 125 curse continues. I do think that Schnupp has more than a fighters chance. Too bad he doesn't have a home field crowd cheering him on.

We really need bonus in multiple matches and I hope Nolf, Nickal deliver big and either Mark or VJ silencing the crowd a bit.
It’s February. That’s the time that 91% of all duals are affected to some degree by injury/recovery.

Just looking for some early thoughts on the dual. Certainly seems like it could be close. They seem to match up better than Michigan did. Looks to me like it will be 5 - 5 and come down to bonus. We gotta come ready to go.
Will say this, pride and Dual streak notwithstanding, Cael knows that the matches that matter most are the ones at PPG Paints Arena March 21-23. He's not going to risk RBY or Shak's health on Feb 8th in a meaningless (at least as compared to nationals) Dual, as their health will go a long way in deciding whether PSU can win another National Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT