ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Vs. Ohio St.

125 tosu 3-4
133 PSU 3--yes, I think that quickness in the big equalizer--If RBY goes
141 tosu 3--love Nick but McKenna looks real good
149 tosu 3--Berge works on top game--maybe a win???
157 PSU 4 minimum
165 PSU 4 minimum
174-- PSU 4 minimun
184-- tosu 3 maybe 4
197-- PSU 4 minimum--fall is likely--
285-- PSU 3
tosu- 12 PSU 22--thats how I see it--and we have some wiggle room if RBY does not beat Pletcher.--I feel that 157, 165,174 and Bo--1 out of those 4 we will get 5 or 6 in place of 4.

I have to think neither RBY or Rasheed go which makes those two weights all about what the replacements can do as far as limiting damage.. I would love to see both healthy and able to go but prefer if they need recovery time not to risk further injury now and have it come back to affect them in March.

I have to think neither RBY or Rasheed go which makes those two weights all about what the replacements can do as far as limiting damage.. I would love to see both healthy and able to go but prefer if they need recovery time not to risk further injury now and have it come back to affect them in March.
RBY was limping pretty good when congratulating Cassar after match. Maybe it was a brace limiting movement, but I agree with you.

If Rasheed doesnt wrestle does Manville go or would it be Bisono?

I know Tom will eventually post these but here is the CDT write up of Cael’s comments today on injuries. A whole lotta optimism :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

My guess, RBY is a no, Shak is a no and Berge wrestles Friday night.

Certainly not what we would hope for, but I think that is exactly what will happen--no RBY, no Shak, and Berge at 149. I think there is still some chance Verk will go at 149, and I think there is a chance we will not see McKenna take the mat.

Certainly not what we would hope for, but I think that is exactly what will happen--no RBY, no Shak, and Berge at 149. I think there is still some chance Verk will go at 149, and I think there is a chance we will not see McKenna take the mat.
Ohio State has Purdue, Nebraska and Cornell to finish the season. I would not be surprised if McKenna sits this week too.

Reactions: diggerpup
Huge dual fan here and I as much as I would love to see McKenna go Friday if he isn't 100% healthy I hope they keep him out. I really want to see him take on Lee but not if it's too early in his rehab. The same goes for RBY, Shak or anyone else. Having everyone healthy in March is the end goal or having them as healthy as they can be.

What is the Rasheed not going based upon? Didn’t seem himself v Michigan, but I didn’t see him get injured.

My humble opinion:

125: Heinselman dec 3-0
133: Pletcher dec 6-0
141: McKenna dec 9-0
149: Jordan dec 12-0.
157: Nolf MD 12-4. Hayes stalls but Nolf gets the major late on a stall point.
165: Cenzo dec 12-7. Campbell holds it to a dec but MD if he doesn’t go.
174: Hall dec 12-10. Smith is solid and holds his own but Mark wins 5-2.
184: Martin MD 16-10. Thought Rasheed wasn’t moving well against Michigan and Martin is on another level.
197: Nickal dec 16-13 (super pumped for this matchup. I could see Moore shocking the world.)
Hwt: Cassar dec 16-16. Can’t quite get the major as Singletary takes top and rides him out.

PSU wins on criteria

My humble opinion:

184: Martin MD 16-10. Thought Rasheed wasn’t moving well against Michigan and Martin is on another level.
197: Nickal dec 16-13 (super pumped for this matchup. I could see Moore shocking the world.)
Hwt: Cassar dec 16-16. Can’t quite get the major as Singletary takes top and rides him out.

PSU wins on criteria
Is Singletary good on top? Guess I haven't seen that. Derek White couldn't ride AC, nor has anyone else this year. Could happen though (he did have some issues last year). For what it's worth (according to @LemonPie' spreadsheet), he's averaging 2min 20 seconds of net RT a match--though he only got 3 seconds Net over White.

Otherwise, I think you're probably pretty close, though my heart tells me Nickal is capable of majoring Moore, will know more after seeing it happen ;-)

Last edited:
Is Singletary good on top? Guess I haven't seen that. Derek White couldn't ride AC, nor has anyone else this year. Could happen though (he did have some issues last year). For what it's worth (according to @LemonPie' spreadsheet), he's averaging 2min 20 seconds of net RT a match--though he only got 3 seconds Net over White.

Otherwise, I think you're probably pretty close, though my heart tells me Nickal is capable of majoring Moore, will know more after seeing it happen ;-)
I remember last year, at 197, Cassar could not get out from under Garrett Hoffman, and ended up losing the match. At the time, plenty of talk here about Anthony's bottom skills. Then there were the concerns pre-this season about getting out from under the bigger heavyweights. I must say Cassar has answered every critic with flying colors. He's not had an ounce of trouble. He has taken neutral several times, strategically a good move in the matches where he did that.

I did close to zero research for my predictions but I seem to recall Singletary looking tough on top in the limited times I have seen him wrestle.

Like Roar pointed out, Cassar has taken neutral quite a bit and last year it was his weakness so that is the basis for a lot of my prediction. He has looked much better on bottom this year though.

I remember last year, at 197, Cassar could not get out from under Garrett Hoffman, and ended up losing the match. At the time, plenty of talk here about Anthony's bottom skills. Then there were the concerns pre-this season about getting out from under the bigger heavyweights. I must say Cassar has answered every critic with flying colors. He's not had an ounce of trouble. He has taken neutral several times, strategically a good move in the matches where he did that.
I agree like night and day from last year-I believe that this can be credited to a great coaching staff and no cut issues-- low tank issues lead to trouble getting out from bottom.

Back from a mini vacation and realizing PSU is worse than at any other point this year! This is my wheelhouse.

Streak is done, my friends!

Yeah, Cassar has been unrideable. Derek White didn't do much there (21 seconds in 2 riding sequences) and he worked Nevills on the mat.

Reactions: nerfstate
My humble opinion:

PSU wins on criteria

I’ll light my hair on fire if PSU scores 16 or fewer team points on Friday.

My humble opinion:

PSU wins on criteria
Can’t see Hayes keeping it closer with Nolf than he did against Zain, up a weight. And on the Singletary riding, it’s Fr vs. “Sr.” As others said - should be non-factor. Pletcher should MD Stossel at home in a big meet if he goes.

It does look like if we get 20 points total from Nolf, Cenzo, Hall, Bo and Cassar, we'll be in good shape. I'll take that.

Can’t see Hayes keeping it closer with Nolf than he did against Zain, up a weight. And on the Singletary riding, it’s Fr vs. “Sr.” As others said - should be non-factor. Pletcher should MD Stossel at home in a big meet if he goes.

Here is the key mistake that Hayes made last year: He took Zain down and pissed him off! It very well could happen with Nolf too but maybe he learned from his mistake.

I agree like night and day from last year-I believe that this can be credited to a great coaching staff and no cut issues-- low tank issues lead to trouble getting out from bottom.
Coaches will get credit from me for every improvement noted, but a wrestler has to have the physical tools to make teachable skills real. In this case, quickness (a 197 guy in a heavyweight's body), and strength ("man's got muscles in his poop" kind of strong!) are HUGE.

EDIT: tom73 and ps'85 should like the colloquialism. Heard that in South Carolina decades ago...still laugh a little when I think about it.

If you want a “deal”, then you need to reciprocate.

What’s the wager on your end ?

After he gets owned on this forum, you should have to drive over to WildTurk’s house & change his diaper. :rolleyes:

I live way too far away from Turk so unfortunately that is out. I don’t have any hair either so no luck there. Looks like we will be relegated to enjoying the dual with no skin on the table. :cool:

Last edited:
Is Singletary good on top? Guess I haven't seen that.

Actually yes. Singletary is very good on top.
He throws double boots often, and has a good power half. He just cant do it to the 285 pound guys.

He is someone that would greatly benefit from a 220 pound weight class. His skill set favors actual wrestling and technique.. and not Sumo battles. The higher the BMI, the worse he does. He can go with smaller heavies.

Of note, he rode Parris for about 1 second last Friday. Which at that point, I knew the match was over. If he can get that initial break down, he can ride for a while.
The first time Singletary and Parris wrestled (at an Ohio open) Singletary had a plethora of back points, and had a RT point, IIRC.

In saying the above... Cassar is going to destroy Singletary. Hope I am wrong, but I see a major dec, at the minimum.

One issue is that all the PSU unknowns (133, 149, 184) are all favored to lose based on rankings. If our guy doesn't guy it would only affect bonus in terms of pre-match favorites. But, if McKenna doesn't go, he's favored to win, so him not wrestling could affect the final result more than if 2 or 3 of our guys don't wrestle. Lee will certainly beat any back-up they might put out there, and likely by bonus.

Admirable that the Buckeyes are in the mix after losing Tomasello, B. Jordan, and Snyder from last year's team. Losing 3/4 more this year (4 if you count Campbell), yet with recruiting success, one can see those openings plugged with really good wrestlers. It's not a bad thing having tOSU as our conference "rivalry" team.

Admirable that the Buckeyes are in the mix after losing Tomasello, B. Jordan, and Snyder from last year's team. Losing 3/4 more this year (4 if you count Campbell), yet with recruiting success, one can see those openings plugged with really good wrestlers. It's not a bad thing having tOSU as our conference "rivalry" team.
Admirable indeed. It makes one wonder why most/all of the cheating and "slush fund" accusations from certain fan bases are directed solely at PSU. As much as many like to rib Ryan, he's certainly getting it done up in Columbus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT