ADVERTISEMENT

QB situation next week vs MSU

I honestly do not think PSU will have to throw much to win this game either way. Hopefully I didn't just jinx them but this may be a great opportunity for Seider to show his creativity 🙏.

I honestly do not think PSU will have to throw much to win this game either way. Hopefully I didn't just jinx them but this may be a great opportunity for Seider to show his creativity 🙏.
But they need to allow both QBs to pass some. If they just run the offense like today’s second half that will be a stain that longer all off season. We need a balanced offense for next year and the time to work on that in this week. And bowl practice time.

Reactions: PennState_one
The short list of things that don't matter in regards to the QB this season:

1. Will Levis

You're welcome.

Funniest thing about this thread: 4 replies to my posts by "ignored members". 😂

Don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
The offense was abysmal today with Allar. With Pribula the offense did not punt. That's better than abysmal.
Running RPO is obviously better when you have a running QB. It works great when you play Rutgers and Michigan State and really don't need to throw the ball at all. Vs the top 15 teams in the nation not so much.

We need Allar and a different offensive scheme not pribula and the same scheme.

Running RPO is obviously better when you have a running QB. It works great when you play Rutgers and Michigan State and really don't need to throw the ball at all. Vs the top 15 teams in the nation not so much.

We need Allar and a different offensive scheme not pribula and the same scheme.
Just wow. Look at you criticize a guy who came in a 4 point game ice cold against the 15th best defense in the nation with zero in game experience in meaningful time, and lead the team to a 21 point win.

Sad.

A) He was an inexperienced sophomore co petting against a returning starter.

B) He was a classic drop back QB trying to run a RPO offense which wasn’t even close to his skill set.

C) He wasn’t allowed to pass so we have no idea how he would have performed here.

D) Was only used as a wildcat fullback.

I agree with your statements which addresses the reasons why Levis was not successful at Penn State.

Just wow. Look at you criticize a guy who came in a 4 point game ice cold against the 15th best defense in the nation with zero in game experience in meaningful time, and lead the team to a 21 point win.

Sad.
The coaching staff won't let him throw. I'm sure that's because he's a great passer right?

Pribula is basically Levis 2.0. There is a reason the staff doesn’t require him to throw the ball much.
Does that mean in 4 years he will be a starter in the NFL and one of the top 5 QBs picked?

how would you know that? Did he do anything but run the ball? Revisionist is wild, he is an NFL starter. 1 of 32 in the world
And it raises the question on why he was so ineffective at PSU but is playing pretty well in the NFL? What does that say about PSU QB coaching and offensive strategy to maximize the talents of your players?

Reactions: dailybuck777
And it raises the question on why he was so ineffective at PSU but is playing pretty well in the NFL? What does that say about PSU QB coaching and offensive strategy to maximize the talents of your players?
If you say that, then you have to credit the staff for coaching up Clifford, who also was drafted and actually made a NFL roster as a rookie. And you also have to credit them for coaching up McSorley, who was on a NFL roster for several seasons and actually started some games.

If you say that, then you have to credit the staff for coaching up Clifford, who also was drafted and actually made a NFL roster as a rookie. And you also have to credit them for coaching up McSorley, who was on a NFL roster for several seasons and actually started some games.
I think Clifford and McSorley’s running talents fit in well with the desired PSU offensive game plans. The problem is when you get QBs that don’t fit well in that plan, they don’t adjust well. It’s pounding a square peg into a round hole.

I think Clifford and McSorley’s running talents fit in well with the desired PSU offensive game plans. The problem is when you get QBs that don’t fit well in that plan, they don’t adjust. It’s pounding a square peg into a round hole.
Unless you have really top skill players like OSU, it’s just very hard to succeed right now in college with a pure pocket qb who can’t move well, unless that qb has great pocket awareness and anticipation. Minus that, it’s almost a requisite that you have to have a qb for whom the defense has to account for his running ability. Otherwise, you’re going to see what we’ve seen for most of this season

Reactions: christoph
Does that mean in 4 years he will be a starter in the NFL and one of the top 5 QBs picked?

No idea about the future. No one can predict the future. We can only comment on the present. In the present, Penn State’s coaches have decided to use Pribula primarily for running the football, just like they did with Levis.

Reactions: psu00
He looks like a clone when he runs the balll, now Psu needs to find out if he can throw like McSorley.
He's faster than Trace. This kid actually reminds me of the old throwback QBs at Oklahoma and Nebraska like Jamelle Holloway or Tommie Frazier. By the way both of them could throw the ball just fine.

If Allar can't play because of either concussion protocol or a shoulder/arm injury (those were speculations from Jones/Ham), then Pribula will have to allowed to throw the ball some. His lone pass to Warren today wasn't bad. Use short passing game and it will open up the running for Allen and Singleton as well as Beau.
Week of practice at QB1 and he can make every throw in the MY playbook, plus add a legit running threat. It will be fine. FTR, not saying BP is better than DA, but next Saturday, it will be fine.

Levis is now a starting NFL QB. Franklin limited him - very erroneously!

This has been addressed above multiple times within this thread.

For the last time:

1) Levis‘s current NFL accomplishments does not change his collegiate performance at Penn State
(It’s irrelevant to the conversation in this thread)

2) Pribula is currently being used primarily as a runner by the coaching staff. They did the
same with Levis during his time at Penn State. This is not debatable as the stats document
this fact.

3) Whether or not the staff made the right development decision with Levis is a different topic
and I suspect many fans would agree the staff did a poor job with Levis. But that is not
the point of the conversation in this thread.

He led the team to a win. Here you are insulting him.

Some of these morons clearly never played football - you don't throw the ball simply for the sake of throwing the ball - BP moved the ball on every single possession in the second half - this kept the clock running and dramatically shortened the game as PSU scored on 3 of it's 4 2nd Half possessions (Rutgers scored on zero of their 2nd Half possessions). Why would PSU want to throw the ball when they were averaging 7.5 yards per play in 2nd Half, widening their lead and running tons of clock?

The running clock has had a huge impact on the college game and HCs need to take notice and incorporate it into their game plans. If a team can play from in-front, run the ball effectively and have a great defense, it puts tremendous pressure on the team playing from behind as they have only half the possessions they would have had prior to the rule change. PSU took a 2-score lead (20-6) with just under 17 minutes remaining in game - Rutgers would only have 2 more possessions the remainder of the game! That's why you keep running the ball if the show no ability to stop you! PSU did not punt in the second half! Effective offense is the best defense because it puts up points, runs the clock and puts massive pressure on team playing from behind.

This has been addressed above multiple times within this thread.

For the last time:

1) Levis‘s current NFL accomplishments does not change his collegiate performance at Penn State
(It’s irrelevant to the conversation in this thread)

2) Pribula is currently being used primarily as a runner by the coaching staff. They did the
same with Levis during his time at Penn State. This is not debatable as the stats document
this fact.

3) Whether or not the staff made the right development decision with Levis is a different topic
and I suspect many fans would agree the staff did a poor job with Levis. But that is not
the point of the conversation in this thread.
3 is the point of the conversation...just like they're screwing over Allar. Levis was the more talented QB and the staff couldn't see or develop that.

Unless you have really top skill players like OSU, it’s just very hard to succeed right now in college with a pure pocket qb who can’t move well, unless that qb has great pocket awareness and anticipation. Minus that, it’s almost a requisite that you have to have a qb for whom the defense has to account for his running ability. Otherwise, you’re going to see what we’ve seen for most of this season
Bingo

But everyone was fired up about Allars HS film, correct? He has a raw arm, but QB play isn’t there yet.
There's no sure thing coming out of HS. We all know that. Allar has elite arm talent but does he have the rest? Is it on the staff or him?

This film, no film, on Beau shows anything close to elite arm strength. His obviously limited in that regard. Doesn't mean he can't be a successful college QB but he's not ready currently to successfully throw the ball. We'll see 80-90% run on Saturday. Maybe more.

There's no sure thing coming out of HS. We all know that. Allar has elite arm talent but does he have the rest? Is it on the staff or him?

This film, no film, on Beau shows anything close to elite arm strength. His obviously limited in that regard. Doesn't mean he can't be a successful college QB but he's not ready currently to successfully throw the ball. We'll see 80-90% run on Saturday. Maybe more.
Agree - that was my point. And I’m not saying that Beau should be the starter by any means - I’m just saying that we don’t know how well he will do in the passing game because he hasn’t been asked (or allowed if you prefer) to show us that part of his game.

Reactions: psu00 and mcpat
Agree - that was my point. And I’m not saying that Beau should be the starter by any means - I’m just saying that we don’t know how well he will do in the passing game because he hasn’t been asked (or allowed if you prefer) to show us that part of his game.
Right so why post HS film saying there shouldn't be concern about his passing ability? I know you didn't but that was my point.

For those of you who are concerned Beau can't pass .....

I have been most concerned about his throwing motion. If they use him as a pocket passer teams will try to blind side him to cause fumbles. He'll get quite a few balls batted down.

On the other hand Beau's quickness and speed make him ideal for the kind of roll out RPO that we saw yesterday. I would love to see that kind of stuff if we had more than one type of QB like Beau, and played both of them. Injuries are going to happen. Truly spread the defense and it suddenly makes the OL look really good. It's just not what we have done at Penn State, and it shows.

The differences between Beau and Drew make it difficult to have one offense that maximizes what each brings. That match must be done if we want to get better. We need an identity that matches our recruiting.

Beau is local and wanted to come to PSU. He's here. He's good. And now we have a problem.

I have been most concerned about his throwing motion. If they use him as a pocket passer teams will try to blind side him to cause fumbles. He'll get quite a few balls batted down.

On the other hand Beau's quickness and speed make him ideal for the kind of roll out RPO that we saw yesterday. I would love to see that kind of stuff if we had more than one type of QB like Beau, and played both of them. Injuries are going to happen. Truly spread the defense and it suddenly makes the OL look really good. It's just not what we have done at Penn State, and it shows.

The differences between Beau and Drew make it difficult to have one offense that maximizes what each brings. That match must be done if we want to get better. We need an identity that matches our recruiting.

Beau is local and wanted to come to PSU. He's here. He's good. And now we have a problem.
I’ve said this for weeks - determine your identity and recruit to it OR recruit the best talent and have the coaches in place that can adapt to the abilities of that talent.

Reactions: MacNit2.0 and psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT