ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for the baseball fans here: Will the Pirate win again this season??

SHIVER ME TIMBERS @The Spin Meister !
Drinks are on the house (but bring your homemade elderberry wine anyhow)! See you at first pitch.
💛🏴‍☠️⚾️🦜🖤
Disney Channel GIF

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
contact hitter hits an opposite field HR to tied the game in the bottom of the 9th on a sinker, down and away, off the end of the bat, just over the fence, down the line and inside a little gap. Anyplace else and it is a fly-out.

I know the Paul Skenes coverage has been borderline manic but after watching his debut my first reaction is this guy is legit. He has all the pitches including a 101 MPH fastball with movement in the zone. The sun may be coming out over PNC Park.

But he gave up three runs in 4+ innings.
Nope. He gave up 1 run and left with a 6-1 lead. He was charged with 2 more runs because his 2 baserunners were allowed to score by the incompetent Pirates bullpen which unbelievably walked in 6, that’s right 6, runs all with the bases loaded. This is a feat of ineptitude that rivals only little leaguers.

OK I was worried that Oneil Cruz was not ready for prime time. I may have been mistaken. This kid looks scary good right now.

OK I was worried that Oneil Cruz was not ready for prime time. I may have been mistaken. This kid looks scary good right now.
Cruz is dang good. Just takes time to come back after missing an entire year. And ‘spring training’ doesn’t count. Ever see clips of those ‘workouts’? Zombies move faster and work harder than a MBL player in the spring.

Here is a great idea.....the playoffs should consist of the team that spent the least amount per win with a minimum of a $100m annualized payroll. Thoughts?

GNjSHwnWMAALEFV

Reactions: OldiesAtTheGaff
So Skenes starts on the road against the Cubs. Strikes out the first seven batters! Strikes out eleven in six innings. 67 strikes on 100 pitches. Had a no hitter…….and they take him out……with an eight run lead.

Pirates win 9-3

So Skenes starts on the road against the Cubs. Strikes out the first seven batters! Strikes out eleven in six innings. 67 strikes on 100 pitches. Had a no hitter…….and they take him out……with an eight run lead.

Pirates win 9-3
No-hitters have lost almost all of the luster for me, and unlikely the bullpen would lose the 8-0 lead, so no complaint from me on this one.

That Jones start weeks ago, I’ll still complain.

No-hitters have lost almost all of the luster for me, and unlikely the bullpen would lose the 8-0 lead, so no complaint from me on this one.

That Jones start weeks ago, I’ll still complain.
Right there with you. Tarnished such an incredible pitching performance by Jones. ARGH.

Falter on the mound today, Keller Sunday. Would be sweet to win this series.

Sadly, one of the most entertaining people in MLB, Angel Hernandez, was "retired" this week.

• Haha
Reactions: jjw165
Best thing about Skenes isn’t his speed. It’s he has four different pitches he can spot anywhere in the strike zone.

His best is what he calls ‘the splinker’….. a hybrid split finger fastball and sinker. Watching that thing drop is impressive.
Tonight should be a good test for Skenes. Because the Dodgers never have faced him, I wouldn't be surprised if he dominates them.

With the Pirates' starting rotation of Keller, Skenes, Jones and Falter plus whoever is the fifth starter, they would be a dangerous team if they even were a slightly below average hitting team; that rotation, other than only being able to go six innings in most starts, has been pretty dominant. However, in typical Pirates fashion, they are a horrible hitting team and also a relatively below average defensive team.

This is pretty interesting. The Guardians and killing the baseball this season and have the third best record. This person has a theory why:

Great to see them give the Dodgers a hard time.

What a difference in payrolls.
Since the 2022 season, the Pirates actually have fared fairly well against them considering the disparity in payrolls. In fact, in 2022, the Pirates went 5-1 against them, including sweeping them in LA. Some teams just have other teams' numbers in sports.

‘burgs sports talking heads are getting excited. Saying if the bats start to hit like people expected …starting pitching was the big preseason weakness…the Pirates could actually squeeze into a wildcard playoff. And in a short series having three top quality starters is huge. Now saying getting to the World Series is possibility!

• Love
‘burgs sports talking heads are getting excited. Saying if the bats start to hit like people expected …starting pitching was the big preseason weakness…the Pirates could actually squeeze into a wildcard playoff. And in a short series having three top quality starters is huge. Now saying getting to the World Series is possibility!
A ton of 'ifs' in there. Hitting is too inconsistent and bullpen is the same

A ton of 'ifs' in there. Hitting is too inconsistent and bullpen is the same
You're right about the hitting. However, the back three of the bullpen (Holderman, Chapman and Bednar) have been better recently; not great but better.

The thing is, the National League, except for a very few teams, overall stinks this season, so there is absolutely no reason why the Pirates can't play meaningful games into September. God, with all of their injuries, even the Braves don't seem to be that great this season.

Last edited:
The thing about the pitching is, other than Keller and maybe Falter, Jones and Skenes will not have pitched as many innings as they will if they actually pitch into September. And without those two in the starting rotation or being effective, the Pirates probably will finish in last place in their division. It doesn't help that two of their five starting pitchers who started the season are injured, and one of them probably won't pitch again this season.

I believe that management has to be especially careful with Jones because he throws so hard but doesn't have a big frame; I fear that it's not a matter of if but when he'll have to have some kind of arm surgery. I hate even thinking about that, but it just seems that, unless you're a freak of nature, most MLB starting pitchers end up having to have arm surgery. And the really bad thing is that it just takes so long for these pitchers to return after their surgeries, so you basically lose two seasons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT