ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting weekend

Shalzbot, dang it.

Well, in terms of talent and as a capper to another high end murderers row, a perfect fit for PSU. I believe he will not maximize his potential at OSU by a long shot, but alas poor yorick....

Personality and temperament wise I had concerns he might not be the best fit.

Great get for the cowboys. It all works out for the best. I can't wait to see KirkV vs Ferrari vs Gable over the next few years.

Let's be real…….If A.J. came to Penn State...….it would be a giant kick in the sack to Snacks. Asking him to take a Grey shirt and a red shirt only to be recruited over.....heck he would have to change his name to Singletary. :)

Except Snacks has NO chance to go down to 197.

As much as the exciting thing now is the undersized, quick heavyweight. I think snacks has a real chance to be an Adam coon type dominator (probably not as strong but quicker than Adam). Snacks is just massive. It’ll be very intriguing to see all the body types and styles at heavy these next few years.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
How many PSU wrestlers have live-streamed their commitment, while having a house party? I think there Ferraris are a marketing machine we may have done better to avoid.

Couldnt agree more, I dont think the “ hey, look at me” mentality fits the C3 mold.

Couldnt agree more, I dont think the “ hey, look at me” mentality fits the C3 mold.

Other than social media stuff, what has this kid done to be "hey, look at me"?

David Taylor is, shall we say, not shy about social media use and self promotion. Hell, there's a documentary about his high school career.

Other than social media stuff, what has this kid done to be "hey, look at me"?

David Taylor is, shall we say, not shy about social media use and self promotion. Hell, there's a documentary about his high school career.

Thats enough for me, and if you want to lump Taylor in there,go right ahead, but Im certain he didnt have that attitude as a HS senior, maybe it has something to do with him being a professional and promoting his product.

Are you arguing that 95% of our recruits arent so full of themselves to pull such a stunt as Ferrari did?

Last edited:
Thats enough for me, and if you want to lump Taylor in there,go right ahead.

Well, then I guess I'd say that I'm very happy Cael and company don't share your views on how social media use correlates to wrestling ability/potential/dedication.

Well, then I guess I'd say that I'm very happy Cael and company don't share your views on how social media use correlates to wrestling ability/potential/dedication.

Social media can be used in ways other than “ hey look at me”

A humble person would not have pulled that stunt.

With all due respect, i understand your outlook and how this may pertain to wrestlers who have committed to PSU under the Cael Sanderson era. But at the end of the day, we sit here and complain about how the sport should grow and this is exactly what you need in order to grow the sport. Look at any High School, football/basketball player committed to college either on national television or through a video they made to go up on social media.

And at the end of the day, social media is all about the "hey look at me". It is all about the likes and followers, just get off your high horse and let a high school senior have his moment

What "stunt"?

And to answer the question you tacked on after I initially responded, that David Taylor documentary that featured numerous interviews and even a song titled "The Ballad of David Taylor" was produced in 2009. Before he ever wrestled a collegiate match.

If you want to shake your fist at every kid that uses social media, fine. But it's pretty clear that Cael and company don't have a problem with it.

Whatever the C3 mold is, I don't think you have a particularly great handle on it.

What "stunt"?

And to answer the question you tacked on after I initially responded, that David Taylor documentary that featured numerous interviews and even a song titled "The Ballad of David Taylor" was produced in 2009. Before he ever wrestled a collegiate match.

If you want to shake your fist at every kid that uses social media, fine. But it's pretty clear that Cael and company don't have a problem with it.

Whatever the C3 mold is, I don't think you have a particularly great handle on it.

Call me old fashioned,although not that old.

Maybe “ stunt” wasnt the right word, but I was referring to the production of the “ hey look at me, this Is where Im going to college” announcement.

Im not trying to shake my fist at anyone,and didnt want to come off as riding high horse, it takes all kinds to make this world go round.

To each his own, but if I, (or you, if I may ask) were choosing between 2 kids of identical talent, size, determination etc etc ,and the only difference was a sense of humility, which kid would you pick?

I’d bet the farm that “ humility “ is high on the list of the C3 musts.

Maybe “ stunt” wasnt the right word, but I was referring to the production of the “ hey look at me, this Is where Im going to college” announcement.

Im not trying to shake my fist at anyone,and didnt want to come off as riding high horse, it takes all kinds to make this world go round.

To each his own, but if I, (or you, if I may ask) were choosing between 2 kids of identical talent, size, determination etc etc ,and the only difference was a sense of humility, which kid would you pick?

If Cael's staff was comfortable with the kid who had a documentary made about his high school career, I'm guessing they'd be OK with the kid who did a social media post about his college commitment.

I mean, they actively recruited AJ. I think that's an indication of how they think he'd fit their mold.

As much as the exciting thing now is the undersized, quick heavyweight. I think snacks has a real chance to be an Adam coon type dominator (probably not as strong but quicker than Adam). Snacks is just massive. It’ll be very intriguing to see all the body types and styles at heavy these next few years.

Fingers crossed. Seth is a stud no doubt but the trend is toward lighter, strong, more athletic types, and I am in that camp. Getting worked pretty good by Cassioppi last year was not a confidence builder for me even though it was Freestyle.

I think he is a shoe in for AA but I tend to doubt top 4 potential

Just fans doing the fan-talk thing. There's a bigger picture, and getting this one wrestler isn't of consequence in the grand scheme. Criticizing a kid, or saying they won't fit this or that program, just because of their social media "persona" is not right, imo.

FLB school district closed today because of FB ( or instagram post, IDFK) stating they would shoot up the school at 8:30 and were looking for helpers.

With all due respect Roar, in todays society social media personas are an unignorable indication of the person.

Respectfully (and I mean that), you are old fashioned and out of touch. Trust the C3s. They know the kids they're re recruiting better than we ever will.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
I really don't see the need to toss shade at an athlete because they didn't choose the "Right" school in our estimation. How athletes choose to announce the biggest decision of their young lives should be left up to them and their families. Heck....I would have watched and laughed if they had their entire family fire rifles simultaneously into targets that exploded orange and black ( NOT recommended for Iowa recruits ). It is their moment. We celebrate birthdays every year. For most....a college commitment is a once in a lifetime moment.
There is a football player announcing his school choice today in front of his entire school.....family, coaches, students and cameras. Are we going to toss shade if he doesn't choose PSU? "Oh....he wasted educational time of an entire school for a Look-at-Me moment".... I would hope not......after all.....we are the adults....right?

Iowa had some recent improvement in recruiting culminating with Spencer Lee but they seem to be falling back again. Looking ahead a few years, they are clearly behind PSU and tOSU and probably OSU as well, although not as pronounced. They really need to win a championship over the next 2 years or the fallout may be significant. To these high schools kids, the Dan Gable era is ancient history and many probably don't even remember their last championship.

Iowa had some recent improvement in recruiting culminating with Spencer Lee but they seem to be falling back again. Looking ahead a few years, they are clearly behind PSU and tOSU and probably OSU as well, although not as pronounced. They really need to win a championship over the next 2 years or the fallout may be significant. To these high schools kids, the Dan Gable era is ancient history and many probably don't even remember their last championship.
Wisconsin could start pinching their supply lines in Southern Canada as well. Great school, fun town, resurgent program.

There’s only so much the Strittmatter supply chain can provide before the Hawks also face resource constraints to the East.

Tough scene

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT