ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched the Illinois game and I’m not excited about this weekend

PaoliLion

Nov 2, 2003
observations:

- The LBers played horrendous and it wasn’t just one issue. We struggled to get off blocks, missed tackles, played slow, had the wrong play called and were often out of position. Parsons, Brown, Farmer and Ellis all really struggled at times.
- Their QB was playing pitch and catch due to soft coverage
- John Reid is really struggling (worse than I realized)
- The D line was pushed around and often let the Illinois offensive line get to the second level.
- Illinois had a lot of miscues in the second half that ended drives rather than our stout defense.
- Illinois was not executing a complicated offensive scheme.
- We have only 3 returning starters on defense and they’re certainly playing like that.

These aren’t issues that will get fully corrected by Saturday, but I’m hopeful that they’ll play their hearts out and we’ll score enough points to make it a game...however, I’m not going to get bent out of shape over a loss. The whiteout will be a lot of fun.

OSU by 14

Reactions: Lion8286
observations:

- The LBers played horrendous and it wasn’t just one issue. We struggled to get off blocks, missed tackles, played slow, had the wrong play called and were often out of position. Parsons, Brown, Farmer and Ellis all really struggled at times.
- The D line was pushed around and often let the Illinois offensive line get to the second level.
- Illinois had a lot of miscues in the second half that ended drives rather than our stout defense.
- We have only 3 returning starters on defense and they’re certainly playing like that.

These aren’t issues that will get fully corrected by Saturday, but I’m hopeful that they’ll play their hearts out and we’ll score enough points to make it a game...however, I’m not going to get bent out of shape over a loss. The whiteout will be a lot of fun.

OSU by 14

Clown

observations:

OSU by 14

sheesh.... haven't we beat that dead horse enough already?

Yep. Pretty much sums up what I saw. And we were playing .... Illinois, one of the worst teams in conference.

I have no expectations for this game. I'll watch it but won't be at all surprised if things get out of hand.

OSU has defensive weaknesses but our defense just looks lost. No idea how this gets turned around in 8 days. But, anything is possible I guess.

Yep. Pretty much sums up what I saw. And we were playing .... Illinois, one of the worst teams in conference.

I have no expectations for this game. I'll watch it but won't be at all surprised if things get out of hand.

OSU has defensive weaknesses but our defense just looks lost. No idea how this gets turned around in 8 days. But, anything is possible I guess.

Another moron chimes in. When any one of you wants to give us your credentials for analyzing football then maybe I'll pay attention. You and PaoliLion sound like two jock sniffers.

Reactions: Howie'81
Why do people on here cry about opinions so much? This PSU team is significantly worse than Ohio State. That's ok! Hopefully they are able to win anyway. Trace gives the team a chance against anyone.

Another moron chimes in. When any one of you wants to give us your credentials for analyzing football then maybe I'll pay attention. You and PaoliLion sound like two jock sniffers.

Dude chill the F out.

This is message board where people are free to express their opinion on PSU football even though subject has been beaten to death. Atleast the thread was about football.

Is this your thing? Acting like a total D hole when anybody has a negative opinion this PSU team.

Whatever have fun...

Dude chill the F out.

This is message board where people are free to express their opinion on PSU football even though subject has been beaten to death. Atleast the thread was about football.

Is this your thing? Acting like a total D hole when anybody has a negative opinion this PSU team.

Whatever have fun...

You need a cold dose of reality, loser. PaoliLion and Knight are trolls and have been for awhile. Are you really that much of a dumbass that I have to point this out to you?? Wake the f**k up dude!

ANY.
GIVEN.
SATURDAY.
NIGHT.

That's why they play the games. And this game will be played.

With 110,000.
At Night.
At the toughest, loudest stadium in the nation.

The game will be played and unusual things will happen because Penn State at home for the White Out is unlike any other advantage in this sport.

Perhaps some of our guys will make a few plays and keep us in this game with a chance to win in the 4th quarter. If that happens, we have Trace. They don't.

For the record, I am a PSU alum -- an engineering graduate in 1980, with Distinction. When I graduated I went to work for a large, multi-national company, retiring from that company after more than 35 years of service. I did work for a while in New Jersey. Hated it, but I do like Monty Python.

This is a football message board where we should be free to discuss both strengths and weaknesses. We have some strengths, but to me those strengths have been demonstrated only on offense, where we have skill position players that are superior. The teams we've played could not match up defensively. Scoring came easily. OSU, on the other hand, has much better athletes than those teams, on both sides of the ball.

To those with more football knowledge, please explain what you've seen that convinces you we will play defense differently on Saturday. Maybe there are a couple of things that could be done to flip performance. I would like to read it here. Will it be the environment that makes our guys shed blocks and tackle better? I suppose that is possible.

There is a place for pure fandom. Bushy, go to the stadium and yell your lungs out. On this board it should be a civil discussion. You don't seem capable of that.

For the record, I am a PSU alum -- an engineering graduate in 1980, with Distinction. When I graduated I went to work for a large, multi-national company, retiring from that company after more than 35 years of service. I did work for a while in New Jersey. Hated it, but I do like Monty Python.

This is a football message board where we should be free to discuss both strengths and weaknesses. We have some strengths, but to me those strengths have been demonstrated only on offense, where we have skill position players that are superior. The teams we've played could not match up defensively. Scoring came easily. OSU, on the other hand, has much better athletes than those teams, on both sides of the ball.

To those with more football knowledge, please explain what you've seen that convinces you we will play defense differently on Saturday. Maybe there are a couple of things that could be done to flip performance. I would like to read it here. Will it be the environment that makes our guys shed blocks and tackle better? I suppose that is possible.

There is a place for pure fandom. Bushy, go to the stadium and yell your lungs out. On this board it should be a civil discussion. You don't seem capable of that.

So you have no actual football acumen and no basis for making your statements? Thanks for pointing that out. You and PaoliLion should lead a happy life together in wedded bliss.

Reactions: Howie'81
ANY.
GIVEN.
SATURDAY.
NIGHT.

That's why they play the games. And this game will be played.

With 110,000.
At Night.
At the toughest, loudest stadium in the nation.

The game will be played and unusual things will happen because Penn State at home for the White Out is unlike any other advantage in this sport.

Perhaps some of our guys will make a few plays and keep us in this game with a chance to win in the 4th quarter. If that happens, we have Trace. They don't.

Thanks, Custardfoam.

Vegas says PSU has like a 40% chance and that's probably about right. Ohio State is a better team. Penn State is pretty close and it's at home so they have a good chance of winning despite that. I'm loving these fiery responses though. Please take it out on some buckeyes this weekend.

observations:

OSU by 14

You're definitely a pessimist. The opening line was Penn State -3.5 and you have OSU by 14. The home field advantage is more than you recognize.

So you have no actual football acumen and no basis for making your statements? Thanks for pointing that out. You and PaoliLion should lead a happy life together in wedded bliss.

So, by your logic only football players and coaches may post opinions. All others should comment only on topics for which they have formal training.

I doubt if the board would be interested in my area of expertise. So I guess there is no point to participating in board discussions.

Please appease me just once. Have to assume that you have "football acumen." So, answer the question if your opinion differs. How will we get it done defensively against better athletes than we've played to date? Just a couple of distinct things -- based on your football acumen.

Why do people on here cry about opinions so much? This PSU team is significantly worse than Ohio State. That's ok! Hopefully they are able to win anyway. Trace gives the team a chance against anyone.
No they are not.

tOSU is NOT Significantly better than PSU! That is a fact, they have had a better run the last 10-15 years, but that gap has closed significantly the past 3 years since CJF arrived and that is a fact.

Was tOSU significantly better in 2016! NO....PSU won at home during the whiteout and in the second half pushed tOSU all over the field on both sides of the ball

Was tOSU significantly better in 2017 when the game was played at the Show and PSU led by 14 into the 4th Q. before running out of gas and choking the game away after a few key injuries during the game! NO....they were not significantly better!

So, now we are in 2018 and I see not reason to panic! Sur, the PSU defense has shown to be full of holes at times and TOSU offense has looked unstoppable at times. However, tOSU defense has been porous as well and the PSU offense is no slouch....considering they LEAD THE NATION IN SCORING!

also, consider tOSU lost their best player and they are playing in the toughest environment in college football in their first road game of the year with a first year starting QB! I like the chances of the boys in Blue and White this week in what will probably be a very high scoring game!

Reactions: ralphster
They are just better lol. Sorry about the meltdown this will cause in your brain.

2015 recruiting:
Ohio State #7
Penn State #14

2016 recruiting:
Ohio State #4
Penn State #20

2017 recruiting:
Ohio State #2
Penn State #15
I've heard VA Tech is petitioning the NCAA to have their loss vs Old Dominion changed to a win, based on their vastly superior recruiting class rankings over the last 3 years. I think mcgunns is on to something here...

Yes, the defense has its issues.

But typically it rises to the occasion when playing at home.

In 2016, our defense gave up 33ppg when it wasn’t playing at Beaver Stadium. That’s B1G bottom dweller type of defense.

At home, only 18ppg.

They are just better lol. Sorry about the meltdown this will cause in your brain.

2015 recruiting:
Ohio State #7
Penn State #14

2016 recruiting:
Ohio State #4
Penn State #20

2017 recruiting:
Ohio State #2
Penn State #15
What were the recruiting rankings the three years prior to the 2016 game when PSU won? How about the three years prior to the 2014 game where PSU won and got shafted out of the win? I don’t disagree that OSU is a bit better overall and that PSU has its issues on defense, but you never know what is going to happen from game to game. They’re 18-22 year olds, they make mistakes and do dumb things in a game. Whichever team makes fewer mistakes will likely win. Win or lose, enjoy the ride.

Reactions: MaconNitt and 81b&w

2015 recruiting:
Ohio State #7
Penn State #14

2016 recruiting:
Ohio State #4
Penn State #20

2017 recruiting:
Ohio State #2
Penn State #15
All that and they still lost 55-24 to Iowa last year (2014 - #59, 2015 - #58, 2016 - #42, 2017 - #40). When Ohio State's getting punched in the mouth Saturday night we'll see what those rankings mean on the field.

observations:

OSU by 14
I agree with what you are seeing on defense. This is the worst Penn State defense I have seen in a while at stopping the run. Our first string defense looks ok, but when the freshman linebackers go in, we look horrible. That said, if we can run the ball effectively, limit their touches on offense, then I can see a scenario where our second string defense doesn't need as many snaps to keep the first string front seven fresh. We will need to play ball the ball control game, which our offense is very capable of doing. Our o-line and Miles will be key, with Trace converting third and three to five situations. A couple OSU turnovers would help.

Reactions: PaoliLion

2015 recruiting:
Ohio State #7
Penn State #14

2016 recruiting:
Ohio State #4
Penn State #20

2017 recruiting:
Ohio State #2
Penn State #15
PSU had #5 recruiting class in 2017, not #15.

2015 recruiting:
Ohio State #7
Penn State #14

2016 recruiting:
Ohio State #4
Penn State #20

2017 recruiting:
Ohio State #2
Penn State #15

The thing is your rankings last year are crazy wrong and recruiting is the only reason PSU has closed the gap between the two teams. Every single year it has gotten better and that is the reason this game is a 3 point spread which is basically a toss up.

Reactions: Westcoast24
observations:

OSU by 14
Lotta people don't realize that Illinois played their first 3 games without 4 or 5 starters, who had been suspended. The Penn State game was the first game that these guys played together. They did some nice things. They also ran out of gas in the later part of the game.

We all knew going into the season that we'd have to outscore opponents, especially early in the season. To their credit, the Lions have done just that. The Lion defense is better now than it was at the start of the season. How fast that learning curve is progressing? I guess we'll find out Saturday evening.

PSU had #5 recruiting class in 2017, not #15.

PSU had the #5 class in 2018, not 2017.

Regardless, if recruiting ranking determined W/Ls then Brady Hoke would still be Michigan's coach. mcgunns just isn't all that smart football-wise.

observations:

OSU by 14

I give you credit for having the courage to re-watch it! I'm holding out hope the staff treated the Illinois game as a scrimmage. As proof, the entire 2nd team defense-- all eleven of them-- were in there for Illinois' 2nd TD. Subsequent heavy substitution backs my assertion. Even with that I share your trepidation. We're going to need some help. I hope the OSU WRs have a case of the drops, combined with and a few bad throws by Haskins. Otherwise, we'll have to play a perfect game and thus far this team has given no indication they're even close to doing that.

Reactions: PaoliLion

Hopefully since you've settled on your position you'll avoid polluting the in game thread with your incessant "the sky is falling" whining.

First of all, Illinois has a good offense, especially with the return of a few missing guys from suspension. They are terrible on defense. I think you will see them have offensive success from this point forward against everyone they play if they remain healthy.

I just got done watching the second half on tape. A team with all the momentum in the 3rd quarter, chance for a huge upset, feeling great and running the ball at will....was totally shut down. No where to run, Passes contested, no lanes to run, solid tackling, 2 interceptions. Just nothing. If it wouldn’t have been for Cam Browns late hit in the QB they would have done absolutely nothing in the second half. Amazing how the negative nellies don’t look at the second halves. I am not worried, I would be more worried if we played well in first half of games on D and the offense made adjustments and tore us up in second half and we had no answers. Them making adjustments like this to totally shut down Pitt and Illinois show me that Pry has something he knows will work, he is just trying to speed the maturation process for young players and try to get other things to work more quickly then they can probably grasp it. When you are thinking too much, you play slow and aren’t totally focused on details like getting off blocks and sure tackles.

I don’t see them doing that vs Ohio State. He knows he needs a complete game vs the buckeyes and a good half won’t cut it.

Sadly, the extra day of rest afforded by the Friday night game last week was more than offset by the fact that half the team had to walk home from Champaign because they are turrible.

I thought I would throw this bit of trivia in here.... over the last two weeks we have scored 60 points in back to back games. That is only the 4th time a BIG team has done that in the last 100 years. This is one of the best offenses in PSU history. If we are even average on D we should have a chance to win any game.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT