ADVERTISEMENT

Rider (don’t we usually have five match threads by now) Match thread

So many complaining and rightful so but will still pony up the cash. I realize they have good content but why reward them for an awful product. I stopped 3 years ago and am glad I did.
Because they’re the only game in town. If you wanted to watch PSU this weekend, you need Flo, if you wanted to watch All Star matches, you need Flo. UWW..need Flo.

As much as I hate Flo, I wanna watch my guys

@js8793 and @jmadden1998 are fantastic posters. Seriously.

Also, PSU vs. Rider match is up on Flo now.
I thought of you watching Facundo wrestle. Still thing the kid hasn't scratched his ceiling yet but I remember you said it's not likely a kid with his talent and drive who spends as much time with Casey Cunningham as he likely has will not pan out.

Very good win today.

Facundo pushed the pace tonight, which was a new wrinkle.

Also, the coverage of PSU/Rider is absolutely terrible.

Warning: It appears to have been filmed with a vegetable and the audio is a minute ahead of the video (as of 2157 MST).

Last edited:
Just so some folks here are clear. When I was an admin, I spent over 10 days cleaning up the Iowa nonsense after the Iowa, Penn State game. It was like nothing I've ever witnessed.

This wasn't about injuries, it was personal against Franklin. Literally, his race. It got so bad, I had had enough. Why I got banned on the Iowa board that I hadn't posted on in 2 years. Last post I had over there was congratulating Spencer on another Natty.

Their posts were beyond vile. I lost my shit it got so bad. So no, I have zero patience.
Because they’re the only game in town. If you wanted to watch PSU this weekend, you need Flo, if you wanted to watch All Star matches, you need Flo. UWW..need Flo.

As much as I hate Flo, I wanna watch my guys
I agree but you know it goes to shit, so why complain about what you know will happen. I want to watch my guys as well but will not knowingly pay for crap. Maybe if folks stopping paying for
their crap they would be forced to improve. To each his/her own. I do hope it gets better for the folks paying Flo's bills.

I left Flo two years ago over services. I debated whether to buy the package for the matches they carry this year. After following this thread through the Rider match, I’m glad I didn’t. I can’t imagine how some of you must have felt last night. The anxiety and angst would have driven me crazy. Things would get broken. Instead I committed to listening to Ironhead and envision the action through his powerful descriptions. I went happily to sleep, except for that Dean thing. Oh well, you literally can’t win them all😉.

Next up Lehigh.

Reactions: Ja1339
Hotshoe, I think we both got ripped off by the same scalper. My tickets are also in Rec Hall. I think we have a shitty view of the Mat.

Ps I always appreciated you work back in the day.
At least one question was answered tonight. I always thought Hot Shoe was level headed. Then one day he started being intolerant of all Iowa fans in the 2 boards.

@lionlover, my brother from another Mother!
Denzel Washington GIF

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Watched the Dean replay on Flo. I'm not sure I saw control in that overtime period. Or is it just me?
I thought so too but someone quoted the rule and there is no reaction time given in neutral for a hand touch takedown, it says. Which leaves again puzzled about Nolf-Hidlay.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I stopped posting last night to spare everyone my negativity. Watching Penn State wrestle is a big part of my life. (I recognize how pathetic my life is.). Extremely frustrating to not see the match. That said, I emailed them and was offered a credit already, so I’ll give them props for that. I get that internet issues happen; I think the way to handle that is to issue an announcement apologizing for the issue and telling us what’s going on.

I’ll keep Flo because, as others have said, I watch a lot more Penn State wrestling with Flo. I especially like to see the reserves at all the opens and Flo carries a lot of them.

Reactions: 1AA
A few thoughts from last night:

- Good win by Steen, who seems very consistent. Unfortunately, the Big Ten Schedule is going to be a tough one.

- Pleased that Beau said enough of this B.S. and got the fall. I don’t think Beau is going to light up the scoreboard like SVN but I think he can do things like that.

- SVN and AF continue to impress. Facundo has been high pace all season; it’s no longer surprising

- Disappointed that Dean lost. (Stream was working in phone app at that point). Dean likes to grab a leg from standing and that wasn’t working against someone as big as Laird. I trust the coaching staff to coach him up for the next lanky wrestler he’ll face.

And did you all see that A.J. Beat Schultz!?!?!

... I emailed them and was offered a credit already, so I’ll give them props for that. I get that internet issues happen; I think the way to handle that is to issue an announcement apologizing for the issue and telling us what’s going on.
Have you ever seen one of those news vans with the antennas on top for live feeds? Have you ever heard of a 5G commercial high bandwidth hot spot? When's the last time ESPN had Internet issues?

Sure Flo is no ESPN, and has 1/10,000th of their budget, and can't afford a fleet of vans, but....

This is their core business and their primary value proposition. Flo has had streaming issues for 10 friggin years, dare I say fairly consistent issues. There is the old adage ' fix the problem people'.

Spend a fraction of what they spent in legal fees vs Willie on some reliable technology and this bane of everyone's existence, every single damned season goes away.

Having the service you you provide to your best customer's depend upon whatever local Internet signal you may or may not have, as your 'only' capability seems limiting and unreliable.

I am really happy I didn't sign up for their $30/mo bowling service. I came so close.

So as an ex-customer, I really have no dog in this fight. Nonetheless, I extend no sympathy for a problem they have had a decade to figure out and can't. Just sayin.

Flo needs to get rid of Askren as fantastic as his wrestling knowledge, his ADHD disrupts every single friggin topic and stream of thought, and hire Ed Harris.

Have you ever seen one of those news vans with the antennas on top for live feeds? Have you ever heard of a 5G commercial high bandwidth hot spot? When's the last time ESPN had Internet issues?

Sure Flo is no ESPN, and has 1/10,000th of their budget, and can't afford a fleet of vans, but....

This is their core business and their primary value proposition. Flo has had streaming issues for 10 friggin years, dare I say fairly consistent issues. There is the old adage ' fix the problem people'.

Spend a fraction of what they spent in legal fees vs Willie on some reliable technology and this bane of everyone's existence, every single damned season goes away.

Having the service you you provide to your best customer's depend upon whatever local Internet signal you may or may not have, as your 'only' capability seems limiting and unreliable.

I am really happy I didn't sign up for their $30/mo bowling service. I came so close.

So as an ex-customer, I really have no dog in this fight. Nonetheless, I extend no sympathy for a problem they have had a decade to figure out and can't. Just sayin.

Flo needs to get rid of Askren as fantastic as his wrestling knowledge, his ADHD disrupts every single friggin topic and stream of thought, and hire Ed Harris.

You need to copy this and post it in one of the Flo hate threads.

The biggest draw in terms of interest for wrestling in the USA is Penn State. If you are FLO, you have to make sure when the opportunity arises to provide PSU content, you do not f**k it up. When you do f**k it up, you lost an opportunity to grow your business.

I thought that was only from rear standing. Was that the case in SV?
Yes. When you establish control from rear standing, no reaction time on the hand touch.

I didn't have the benefit of instant replay because I was at the match, but my initial reaction was that it was very close on the control from rear standing. But probably so close that whatever is called on the mat should be upheld.

That said, all credit to Laird. He fought off a couple of TDs when he was dead to rights, sealed off perfectly when he was on bottom and hit a beautiful TD in OT. The win was well deserved.

I didn’t see the match but from reading comments on here, it sounds like Dean had multiple opportunities to get a TD in regulation but failed to finish. Watching the TD clip it seems like it was a TD strictly according to the rule book.

So yesterday we PSU fans lost one #1 ranking and replaced it with a different #1 ranking. How truly spoiled we are!

Bearclaw wins by *injury default.
The Rider injury at 157 was weird. Very early in the bout, wrestlers feeling each other out, the Rider guy's L hand must have bumped/crashed into Bearclaw's head (??). Rider wrestler immediately grabbed his injured forearm...you could see it was bad right away. Maybe broken or dislocated wrist? Dan Monthly came over to look at it, I seem to remember. Then the Rider staff took him off the mat and into the locker room very quickly.

• Sad
Reactions: mcpat
The Rider injury at 157 was weird. Very early in the bout, wrestlers feeling each other out, the Rider guy's L hand must have bumped/crashed into Bearclaw's head (??). Rider wrestler immediately grabbed his injured forearm...you could see it was bad right away. Maybe broken or dislocated wrist? Dan Monthly came over to look at it, I seem to remember. Then the Rider staff took him off the mat and into the locker room very quickly.
JB said he thought it was shoulder, but yes, weird.

I attended yesterday's match. Yes, the Cure Arena is not a very new venue, but the parking, seats, and sightlines were great. (FYI, Cure Arena is a public arena in Trenton; it's neither affiliated with Rider nor on the Rider Lawrenceville NJ campus.) Rider had a good and vocal turnout, but too many of their wrestlers, especially early in the meet, backed up and balled up against our guys. Prior to the playing of the National Anthem, Rider had a 5-minute AV tribute on the Jumbotron to Gary Taylor, their legendary coach who passed away this year. It was a nice touch for the fans present.

I'm so grateful Cael put (almost) all our first teamers out on the mat vs Rider. I don't get to attend many PSU matches...only the occasional ones held near my home, so it was a real treat to see most all our top guys.

Last edited:
C’mon, that’s no way to be. People are individuals, not programs, schools, or states. Some of these Iowa guys are good peeps. js & madden included.

Well said Slush!

Not going to downplay what @Hotshoe had to deal with that led to this point. Racism exists and the internet makes it easier for scum to show their ugliness with no repercussions.

However, I am having a hard time understanding how that equates to ALL Iowa fans are racist assholes that need to be shunned. Makes no sense.

Why wouldn't someone want to encourage a rival fan(s) to interact when they are adding quality/funny/genuine content? Baffling, honestly.

@jmadden1998 @js8793 are good for the board(s)!

Well said Slush!

Not going to downplay what @Hotshoe had to deal with that led to this point. Racism exists and the internet makes it easier for scum to show their ugliness with no repercussions.

However, I am having a hard time understanding how that equates to ALL Iowa fans are racist assholes that need to be shunned. Makes no sense.

Why wouldn't someone want to encourage a rival fan(s) to interact when they are adding quality/funny/genuine content? Baffling, honestly.

I agree some fans should not be representative of a whole fan base but in my experience there are so many of THOSE fans in Iowa (especially hr) it drowns out the sanity of the few. Not to mention they pile on instead of calling out their own fans when they go off the rails which is most of the time. Most responses I ever got on hr started with calling me an idiot or moron lol. In any event I enjoy the Iowa posters here in sanity world who contribute greatly but understand hotshoe's take as well. Time will take care of all of that. Finally, if nothing changes, nothing changes.

Reactions: Ski
I expect to get crucified for this but anyone else bothered when Carter drove the Rider kid out of bounds then off the mat and slammed him. You can feel the difference when you step off the mat in my mind just no excuse for that

Well said Slush!

Clearly @Hotshoe suffered PTSD after 10d of wading thru Iowa racist posts.

vietdog-cupcakes.gif

I expect to get crucified for this but anyone else bothered when Carter drove the Rider kid out of bounds then off the mat and slammed him. You can feel the difference when you step off the mat in my mind just no excuse for that
I didn’t like it either and was surprised he wasn’t warned.

anyone else bothered when Carter drove the Rider kid out of bounds then off the mat and slammed him
Didn't see it, but I imagine that's one way to drown a shark.

I am never bothered when combat sports exhibit a degree of aggressive brutality. If I was, I wouldn't watch them.

That said, I wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT