ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Rutgers discussion/PBP

The team is 124-9 on the year, and Nagao has almost 1/2 the losses.

I suspect he was Ill tonight and has been that close to winning in all the others.

PS - how can Cochran not at least share the Ridge Riley?

Last edited:
Reactions: psu85psu
Not to pile on Nagao as he probably qualifies a spot for the conference but it is far from a lock. He is 9-3 so he can't get to 15 matches and therefore will not have an RPI when allocations are released unless he picks up another match in addition to the duals so he will need win% and coaches rank to secure a spot.

His coaches rank will be fine but if he would split the following matches that would put his win percentage at 71% (10-4). That meets the minimum threshold as long as the bottom doesn't get pushed more than two levels which is not completely uncommon.

#12 Jacob Van Dee
#196 Eamon Jimenez

Any word on the totally unacceptable/ acceptable no replay? Goodale had definitely not agreed to that ahead of time!
Uh Oh Omg GIF by Bounce

Not to pile on Nagao as he probably qualifies a spot for the conference but it is far from a lock. He is 9-3 so he can't get to 15 matches and therefore will not have an RPI when allocations are released unless he picks up another match in addition to the duals so he will need win% and coaches rank to secure a spot.

His coaches rank will be fine but if he would split the following matches that would put his win percentage at 71% (10-4). That meets the minimum threshold as long as the bottom doesn't get pushed more than two levels which is not completely uncommon.

#12 Jacob Van Dee
#196 Eamon Jimenez
That's a problem for the guy who finishes 8th or 9th at B10s. Which won't be Nagao.

Slightly disappointing that Bernie couldn't find another takedown in the last period and a half, but, I'm not too worried about him. He is what he is, which is really solid wrestler.
Someone must have said somewhere but what does the “IV” tattoo on Bernie’s bicep stand for?

I did a rough count of 1/2 of the BJC. Seems like 500 or so seats available in the lower bowl and about 1500 in the upper bowl. Assuming that 1/2 is roughly the same as the other, and allowing for 1000 fudge, about 5000 seats remaining unsold.
Calling for 5-7” of snow Monday night. Should be only rain during the match.
Kasak said something to Cael walking off mat. Hope it isn’t about an injury.

Kasak said something to Cael walking off mat. Hope it isn’t about an injury.
I had seats just off the mat. The floor at BJC elicits a strange sound at times. Not having access to replay …. I thought Kasak’s head hit the mat awfully hard. The mat/floor certainly reverberated with a bit of a wooden sound. Kasak played it safe after that mat return. He did have a pointed discussion with Cael before returned to the locker room.

They apparently got the video replay working by 133, but PSU Pat said by rule, once the 1st bout ends, you can't use it for the remainder of the dual.

Call me old and crazy, but I was feeling it! I don't like video review--at least how we do it now. There may have been some controversial calls. There pretty much always are, with and without video review.

Reactions: The Shelter
I'm really hoping everything is OK with Kasak. Hopefully it's not a concussion.

And I ain't worried about PSU's "lack of depth" at HWT should Greg not be able to go at any point down the road.

And I ain't worried about PSU's "lack of depth" at HWT should Greg not be able to go at any point down the road.
I would hate to see Kasak out for any length of time. Kid gets better each time out. That being said, Evans is no slouch and I can see him definetly stealing a spot at B1Gs if it came down to it.

Didn’t hit his head on the mat return - I slowed it down. I was more worried about his shoulder when he landed, but that seemed fine. He did get clocked in the jaw on the reversal and it was a tough match in general so I’m sure he was shook up.

Kerkvliet hammy vibes by the fan base tonight

He looked gassed and he did go for it at least. Had a few attempts.
he has ONE shot. sweep single and sometimes attempts a very lame ankle pick which never works. even this kid caught on and eliminated any threat of Bernie scoring again from his feet. he needs more

MM called for stalling?
It's Jim Rivello. I wrestled him often when we were young. Then I played against him in an all-star high school football game. Then, we played in the same conference in college football. He was a running back and I was a middle linebacker, so, we knew each other well. He was a good wrestler/football player and a good guy.
He's my favorite ref we see.

Reactions: Callthestall
Beat Jesse Mendez, Real Woods but Max Hermes is Beaus kryptonite. WTH
I get it…but Hermes is not a bad wrestler. Undersized and a freshman, but a three time
Ohio State Champ and freshman year season was canceled due to COVID before states. Could have been a four timer. Kid is a good wrestler. I get it…Beau is ranked first…match was way too close…but that is who Beau has been for the last three years.

Last edited:
Earlier someone commented on Mesenbrink’s smile. He’s just a lot of fun to watch. And His enjoyment on the mat and infectious smile remind me alot of Shayne Van Ness.

Beau rightfully is number 1 after beating Mendez and Woods obviously. I think people are more questioning his effort today than his obvious abilities. That was a true freshman backup 133.
Obviously the coaches wanted him to work on his standing front headlock.

Great time at the BJC tonight, I was surprised how Shawver looked like he had some sort of problem with Cael..

What can you say about Bearclaw and Cochran though? I'm thinking they might be legit AA threats next season if they can crack the lineup.

Reactions: Grass and mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT