ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Rutgers discussion/PBP

Just stopped by quickly tonight only to say I actually love the pink and black singlets and wish they would wear them a couple times a year. đź’—

Oh and, that stalling call on MM has to be close to the worst stalling call of the year.

AND ... what's up with Bernie having a tendency to sometimes sit on a lead and hope not to get stall calls at the of his matches?

Ok, one LAST thing. We beat a B10 team tonight by ONLY 32 points while missing two of our superstars, having some of our other guys a bit under the weather, and 2 of our backups wrestling WAY up a weight class or two. PaThEtIc!

@PatMineo22 is so weak. Claims that Nagao, Starocci, and Brooks aren't going. Then, when he's only 1/3 right, shuts down comments, so people can't call him out. Weak. Why anyone pays any attention to this clown, I'll never understand. Come on, Mineo, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

@PatMineo22 is so weak. Claims that Nagao, Starocci, and Brooks aren't going. Then, when he's only 1/3 right, shuts down comments, so people can't call him out. Weak. Why anyone pays any attention to this clown, I'll never understand. Come on, Mineo, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Not to defend him because I'm not sure his record for accuracy is that great, but I listened to Byers last night and he also said that around mid-day they were presuming that as many as 4 of the PSU starters might not go because they were under the weather. He mentioned Nagao, Starocci, Brooks and Kerkvliet as those who were possibly or probably going to sit. That said, I'm not sure why you'd shut down comments if the information changed over the course of the day.

Looks like Mineo stopped posting after 149. He was fairly active until that match. I wonder if he got tired and went to bed?

it-works-everytime-works-most-of-the-time.gif

They've done studies you know. 60% of the time he is right every time! ;)

Cochran bumping up and taking out #8 HWT has to be one of the most impressive performances by a backup wrestler I’ve seen.

Looking at Slavikouski… 74-17 in his career. NQ in his only two full / uninjured seasons. R12 last year with a 1-0 loss to AA Hillger and a SV loss to AA Davison. This season, his two losses were 4-0 to Davison and 4-2 to Feldman.

It was a legit win over a legit wrestler with a big weight disparity.

Cochran bumping up and taking out #8 HWT has to be one of the most impressive performances by a backup wrestler I’ve seen.

Looking at Slavikouski… 74-17 in his career. NQ in his only two full / uninjured seasons. R12 last year with a 1-0 loss to AA Hillger and a SV loss to AA Davison. This season, his two losses were 4-0 to Davison and 4-2 to Feldman.

Indeed, can we add this win to that thread we had going a few weeks ago.

Reactions: mcpat
Nice bouncebacks for the kids. The Bear and Lucas? Just wow!
It’s good the dual wasn’t with Cornell. There’d be a Grand Jury already impaneled this morning about “no replay.”

Just stopped by quickly tonight only to say I actually love the pink and black singlets and wish they would wear them a couple times a year. đź’—

Oh and, that stalling call on MM has to be close to the worst stalling call of the year.

AND ... what's up with Bernie having a tendency to sometimes sit on a lead and hope not to get stall calls at the of his matches?

Ok, one LAST thing. We beat a B10 team tonight by ONLY 32 points while missing two of our superstars, having some of our other guys a bit under the weather, and 2 of our backups wrestling WAY up a weight class or two. PaThEtIc!
Me and my daughter who is a PSU grad think the football team should go black and pink during a home game in October. For one it's Breast cancer month. Secondly it's staying traditional to the school history. Third It would create a huge uptick on merchandise.
I think the national coverage of the football program doing that would be awesome.
I'm 62 and very much a traditionalist but I think it would be a win win situation.

Not to defend him because I'm not sure his record for accuracy is that great, but I listened to Byers last night and he also said that around mid-day they were presuming that as many as 4 of the PSU starters might not go because they were under the weather. He mentioned Nagao, Starocci, Brooks and Kerkvliet as those who were possibly or probably going to sit. That said, I'm not sure why you'd shut down comments if the information changed over the course of the day.
As mentioned in another thread, whatever illness it is, it has tagged our guys good. Even Kerk looked a bit winded late in his last match and he was on top. Starocci 3rd periods, Nagao slow feet. Brooks, idk. But there have been signs to us on the outside. It’s probably not pretty in reality and they are fighting thru.

Reactions: billrag
Too lazy to look it up, but who was the ranked 197 lber that Matt Brown beat from Nebraska in a dual? He wore him out in much the same way as the bump ups did last night. EDIT: Brown was certified at 165 but know know what he weighed in at. He doesnt show a rank here but the video is here...

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat and hlstone

I've commented numerous times. I truly wish college wrestling had a 220 weight. It's perfect for Olympic hopefuls and creates another opportunity for the bigger guys . Also it would eliminate the tie breaker on team duals.

Me and my daughter who is a PSU grad think the football team should go black and pink during a home game in October. For one it's Breast cancer month. Secondly it's staying traditional to the school history. Third It would create a huge uptick on merchandise.
I think the national coverage of the football program doing that would be awesome.
I'm 62 and very much a traditionalist but I think it would be a win win situation.
I’d rather see solid blue for Prostate Cancer. Donations to that cause are dwarfed by BC…as are all other cancers. We need to move the needle of efficacy on other cancers. Exactly 50 years ago, BC was a death sentence. Today, 85% continue with long lives. With more attention, other cancers that take lives like BC used to could be helped by more infusion of research dollars.

Consider the bell curve. To move the needle from 85 to 86%, you need more effort than when going from 50 to 55%. This doesn’ mean shut down the BC efforts, but it does mean the same dollar elsewhere could have a much bigger impact. Glioblastoma, ovarian cancer, pancreatic….for example.

So, I think it's a better look to reply to his own tweet, explain what happened, and let it alone. Thin skin, it appears.

Reactions: billrag
Shocked the reporter asked Terrell basically how he continues to stay at PSU knowing he can go elsewhere with transfer portal..Cael looked like he’d like to take the dude outside and body slam him. lol.

The Claw had a great response and I thought it was really cool how he talked about Mitchell and that even though he competes against him, he looks up to him and the way he wrestles. I have heard this from many of our guys this year. Mitchell clearly has a leadership role as a freshman.

Shocked the reporter asked Terrell basically how he continues to stay at PSU knowing he can go elsewhere with transfer portal..Cael looked like he’d like to take the dude outside and body slam him. lol.

The Claw had a great response and I thought it was really cool how he talked about Mitchell and that even though he competes against him, he looks up to him and the way he wrestles. I have heard this from many of our guys this year. Mitchell clearly has a leadership role as a freshman.

He gave a diplomatic answer, and I’m sure he’s loving being a part of the best team ever in college wrestling, but regardless, I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes somewhere to start next year.

I missed the part where Carl screams that they didn’t put Rutgers on a pedestal.

Great time at the BJC tonight, I was surprised how Shawver looked like he had some sort of problem with Cael..

What can you say about Bearclaw and Cochran though? I'm thinking they might be legit AA threats next season if they can crack the lineup.
One of those dynamics where you have a problem with someone and that person doesn’t even know who you are

Anyone have any insight into why Beau wrestles the way he does? Is it a mental thing? It has to be. Coaches addressing it??

SO reluctant to shoot on guys he should destroy. We make fun of guys like Lewan but Beau is just like him. I hope this issue doesn't screw him in post-season where anything can happen in close matches....

Reactions: 07mantle
Anyone have any insight into why Beau wrestles the way he does? Is it a mental thing? It has to be. Coaches addressing it??

SO reluctant to shoot on guys he should destroy. We make fun of guys like Lewan but Beau is just like him. I hope this issue doesn't screw him in post-season where anything can happen in close matches....
Friday: 7-2 over Woods.

Monday: board be like

27zv.gif

Bartlett is 43-3 at 141 in his career and just knocked off one of last year's finalists by 5 points. He doesn't panic in tight matches and neither should you.

…but that is who Beau has been for the last three years.

I think that is why fans sometimes scratch their heads. If this was a rare outing for Beau, people would easily pass it off as training through.

Hermes is 6 - 8; he was teched by Danny Fongaro and has major decision losses to Ragusin and unranked Sean Pierson.

Head scratcher, for sure. But that's Beau, chalk up another W.

Last edited:
Reactions: MonkChowder

We make fun of guys like Lewan beciase he doesn’t actually shoot. He doesn’t actually take ground. He actually stalls. He then wins on counters. He has solid defense to do that. So… this year so far, his record reflects it.

Beau is not like him. Beau just doesn’t shoot for long stretches but he does control the mat. I get it. It’s exasperating to watch. For some reason he seems to lose concentration…or something. But like Lewan? No.

At 65, I’ve watched a lot of wrestling. I’ve never seen—not even at light weights where movement comes quicker or more often—what Mesenbrink does. It’s as though less oxygen is required for the seeming non-stop exertion. The second I think he’ll back off to catch a breath, he’s mid-flight on another shot.
It can’t just be “fast twitch muscles” (Iowa’s Birdboy is a poser next to our MM), which Mitchell must be chock full of. Perhaps some physical lung superiority? Do his somehow provide more energy from the same oxygen intake than other folk?
With no idea what fuels his pace, and like far more than just us Lion fans, I’m absolutely fascinated to watch this kid. Whatever the hell it is, I could sure use it on some of our hikes :) .

As mentioned in another thread, whatever illness it is, it has tagged our guys good. Even Kerk looked a bit winded late in his last match and he was on top. Starocci 3rd periods, Nagao slow feet. Brooks, idk. But there have been signs to us on the outside. It’s probably not pretty in reality and they are fighting thru.
I haven't seen any of the wrestlers in the health center but I can say we are seeing sick kids and they looks like absolute crap.. I rarely get sick now a days but picked it up from someone and have been feeling like crap for nearly 3 weeks.. cough/congestion/SOB/fatigue.. Neg COVID.. So if they have what I have .. and I got it from their peers.. it is hitting pretty dang hard ..

I haven't seen any of the wrestlers in the health center but I can say we are seeing sick kids and they looks like absolute crap.. I rarely get sick now a days but picked it up from someone and have been feeling like crap for nearly 3 weeks.. cough/congestion/SOB/fatigue.. Neg COVID.. So if they have what I have .. and I got it from their peers.. it is hitting pretty dang hard ..
This went through my family about a month ago. We were all sick for like a week. My wife and I both tested negative for Covid (daughters didn't bother testing).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT