ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Maryland

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
With about 5 minutes left in the game yesterday I started to imagine a season that ended with PSU losing 4 of its last 5 -- Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers. But then PSU pulled it out. And Maryland has now done what Maryland always does and started to fall apart in the middle of the season.

It wasn't surprising that they lost to Northwestern because Maryland is not strong at the line of scrimmage and NW (like Indiana) isn't as bad as their record suggested. But Maryland does not look as dangerous as they did 3 weeks ago.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz
With about 5 minutes left in the game yesterday I started to imagine a season that ended with PSU losing 4 of its last 5 -- Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers. But then PSU pulled it out. And Maryland has now done what Maryland always does and started to fall apart in the middle of the season.

It wasn't surprising that they lost to Northwestern because Maryland is not strong at the line of scrimmage and NW (like Indiana) isn't as bad as their record suggested. But Maryland does not look as dangerous as they did 3 weeks ago.

Oh, so we're supposed to believe Maryland was actually a good team before they lost their last 3 (2 to b1g West opponents) and "fell apart"??? LMFAO, they sucked at 5-0 and they still suck at 5-3. Some of you people crack me up.

Oh, so we're supposed to believe Maryland was actually a good team before they lost their last 3 (2 to b1g West opponents) and "fell apart"??? LMFAO, they sucked at 5-0 and they still suck at 5-3. Some of you people crack me up.
Do you think Maryland is better than Indians?

Better not take them lightly!

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz

Why did I think this was a Conor Stalions thread

Lol. Every year we hear maryland Rutgers can beat Penn state. 68-4-1 combined against those two all time.
And if we lose one of those games this year the record will be 69-5-1. I don't think history is going to win this game.

I'm not predicting a loss at Maryland but it's difficult to overlook PSU's poor showing over the past two weeks. We aren't headed into this game with good confidence/momentum and it looks like we'll be without Chop & Wallace. Maryland doesn't have good momentum either but I think their team & fans will be up for this game. PSU has better athletes but if we let them hang around who knows? I only give PSU a 75% chance of winning this one.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz and EPC FAN
And if we lose one of those games this year the record will be 69-5-1. I don't think history is going to win this game.

I'm not predicting a loss at Maryland but it's difficult to overlook PSU's poor showing over the past two weeks. We aren't headed into this game with good confidence/momentum and it looks like we'll be without Chop & Wallace. Maryland doesn't have good momentum either but I think their team & fans will be up for this game. PSU has better athletes but if we let them hang around who knows? I only give PSU a 75% chance of winning this one.
Point is Penn state has had a lot worse teams beat better Maryland teams. They are always up for this game and by halftime they are in their cars. I’d bump that up to 95% chance of winning

Reactions: dswartz and wilbury
Point is Penn state has had a lot worse teams beat better Maryland teams. They are always up for this game and by halftime they are in their cars. I’d bump that up to 95% chance of winning
I hope you're right

I think Rutgers is the more dangerous game for Psu. not worried about MD

Wallace being out isn't a factor. He's been either out, or playing hurt all season. Frankly he needs another year in the weight room and so does Saunders. If this team can't beat Maryland as is right now then this team has been fraudulent.

Wallace being out isn't a factor. He's been either out, or playing hurt all season. Frankly he needs another year in the weight room and so does Saunders. If this team can't beat Maryland as is right now then this team has been fraudulent.

The only positive to Wallace being out is that it forces our staff to play another WR, which might turn out positively. It's reps for a player that likely only sees 3 or 4 otherwise. It may force Allar to get comfortable with someone else.

It's still not a positive. The Buckeyes weren't better without Egbuka.

The only positive to Wallace being out is that it forces our staff to play another WR, which might turn out positively. It's reps for a player that likely only sees 3 or 4 otherwise. It may force Allar to get comfortable with someone else.

Egbuka bears zero comparison to Wallace. Wallace is 3rd string at Ohio State and Michigan for that matter.

Losing your #2 WR is losing your #2.

For all the talent the Buckeyes have, they couldn't materialize it into another player getting involved.

Against Indy it was Cephas. I don't recall seeing much from Clifford, McClain, or Saunders.

McClain played more than Cephas actually.

Clifford nor Saunders saw the field.
Only 1 target and no catches for McClain. It seemed like a lot of 2 WR sets, not a lot to spread the field. Warren & Johnson each had 2 catches which isn't a lot.

Singleton had 5 catches for 31 yds but 28 came on one play. He couldn't break free on catches behind the LOS. I'd still like to see him lined up as a slot receiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
Only 1 target and no catches for McClain. It seemed like a lot of 2 WR sets, not a lot to spread the field. Warren & Johnson each had 2 catches which isn't a lot.

Singleton had 5 catches for 31 yds but 28 came on one play. He couldn't break free on catches behind the LOS. I'd still like to see him lined up as a slot receiver.

I'd like to see him on a Jet Sweep. Wheel route. Angle route. Some of his check down catches, the defender is arriving as the ball does or he's behind the line and he just hasn't made anybody miss this year. He's just been a source of frustration this year.

One way or another Singleton needs to be on the field for most snaps rather than the 50/50 split. If that means putting him at slot when he is not lined up in the backfield I would be fine with that.

Reactions: bdgan
I'd like to see him on a Jet Sweep. Wheel route. Angle route. Some of his check down catches, the defender is arriving as the ball does or he's behind the line and he just hasn't made anybody miss this year. He's just been a source of frustration this year.
it would help if he could catch.

One way or another Singleton needs to be on the field for most snaps rather than the 50/50 split. If that means putting him at slot when he is not lined up in the backfield I would be fine with that.
Allen is outplaying him.

I love Allen but I’m not sure Allen will ever win a big game for us. Singleton will. I also don’t understand why we have so many plays for Singleton go inside, and so many plays for Allen go outside when it plays against both of their strengths.
Yeah, that make any sense at all. In the few times that Singleton actually has gone wide on a swing pass or run, he has shown good speed. He's just not an inside runner.

I still think that Potts should get more meaningful playing time.

Reactions: Roar More
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT