ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Maryland

I love Allen but I’m not sure Allen will ever win a big game for us. Singleton will. I also don’t understand why we have so many plays for Singleton go inside, and so many plays for Allen go outside when it plays against both of their strengths.
Allen has already won games for us…he is effective runner with little blocking, he falls forward for extra yards, he is not turnover-prone, and he pass blocks very well.

I love Allen but I’m not sure Allen will ever win a big game for us. Singleton will. I also don’t understand why we have so many plays for Singleton go inside, and so many plays for Allen go outside when it plays against both of their strengths.
Singleton broke several long runs up the middle last year.

Lots of differences this year. Not throwing deep. Not using tight ends. Little threat of QB running. All allow teams to stop the run.

Reactions: JoeLion and bdgan
It is mind numbing how idiotic offensive coordinators are throughout the country. Wisky was having great success running directly up the middle against OSU and then would try and run to the outside and lose yardage that put them behind the sticks. Not sure what goes through some of these guys heads. The same deal with Allen. His strength is running straight ahead and they should never try and run him to the outside. He so hard to tackle running straight ahead.

This week might be the game for the running game to finally break out.
Did you watch the Lions' game against the Raiders on Monday night? Obviously, Campbell was embarrassed at how they played the week before against the Ravens, so he made it a point to run the ball over and over, and it worked. They also did this while their o-line was in disarray because of injuries (when healthy, they may have one of the best o-lines in football).

I wish that we would come out with that mindset against Maryland, and stick with it even if it's not successful right away. Of course, that would be dependent on the defense keeping the game within reach like they did at OSU.

Point is Penn state has had a lot worse teams beat better Maryland teams. They are always up for this game and by halftime they are in their cars. I’d bump that up to 95% chance of winning
I like their QB but he's puzzling. He can be the best and worst player on the field simultaneously.

No one should laugh…we will need to score points.
The defense only gave up 20 points on the road against the current No. 1 ranked team in the country without absolutely any help from the offense. If the defense comes to play and the offense helps them out even a little, I’d be a little surprised if Maryland scored 27 points. I believe that the key will be not to give up the explosive plays like IU got. If they make Maryland have to go on long drives like they did OSU, I doubt that Maryland will have consistent success.

Reactions: indynittany
The defense only gave up 20 points on the road against the current No. 1 ranked team in the country without absolutely any help from the offense. If the defense comes to play and the offense helps them out even a little, I’d be a little surprised if Maryland scored 27 points. I believe that the key will be not to give up the explosive plays like IU got. If they make Maryland have to go on long drives like they did OSU, I doubt that Maryland will have consistent success.
I agree…but it is unrealistic to expect the defense - in the day and age of passing - to be that stout. MD QB is more capable than Indiana. We will need to score. And teams have the book on us…jam the line of scrimmage.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz
I agree…but it is unrealistic to expect the defense - in the day and age of passing - to be that stout. MD QB is more capable than Indiana. We will need to score. And teams have the book on us…jam the line of scrimmage.
I just hope that the staff studied what Illinois and Northwestern did to beat them, because those teams have even less dynamic offenses than PSU and definitely not as good defenses. Based on what I saw of Illinois and Northwestern up to the point when they played Maryland, I wouldn’t have expected either of those teams to beat them.

Reactions: indynittany
CBS Sports’ Aaron Taylor put Penn State on upset alert for Week 10.

On a special Halloween edition of CBS Sports, Taylor thought that Maryland could cause Penn State some problems on the road. Taylor noted how Drew Allar hasn’t played well on the road this season, which could play into the Terrapins’ favor.

Nothing really untrue here. Our Oline pushes no one around.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz and psu00
CBS Sports’ Aaron Taylor put Penn State on upset alert for Week 10.

On a special Halloween edition of CBS Sports, Taylor thought that Maryland could cause Penn State some problems on the road. Taylor noted how Drew Allar hasn’t played well on the road this season, which could play into the Terrapins’ favor.

Nothing really untrue here. Our Oline pushes no one around.
I can't criticize anyone for putting us on upset alert. I think PSU will win but they'll have to show it on the field after what we've seen lately.

Wrt the OL... I have mixed feelings. How much is the OL? How much is the scheme? How much is bringing 8-9 defenders because they aren't afraid of getting beat 10+ yds downfield?

Reactions: Obliviax and psu00
I can't criticize anyone for putting us on upset alert. I think PSU will win but they'll have to show it on the field after what we've seen lately.

Wrt the OL... I have mixed feelings. How much is the OL? How much is the scheme? How much is bringing 8-9 defenders because they aren't afraid of getting beat 10+ yds downfield?
Maryland has lost 3 straight including at hope to Illinois
Regardless of our flaws, and they do exist, this should be a win. Might be closer than we'd like but shouldn't be on upset alert.

Gotta love his use of "we" in his "We could lose 3 in a row".

The laughably pathetic "we poser-trolls"......
Now he will be radio silent because there's literally nothing negative he can say about PSU's performance yesterday (except for the roughing the punter penalty on 4th & 20 which was just insanely stupid).

Now he will be radio silent because there's literally nothing negative he can say about PSU's performance yesterday (except for the roughing the punter penalty on 4th & 20 which was just insanely stupid).
I actually thought it was a good idea….try to put a dagger in them. Clifford’s execution was poor, but if it would have worked, it would have been considered brilliant. Another Monday morning coaching situation that gets judged in hindsight.

Reactions: lazydave841
I actually thought it was a good idea….try to put a dagger in them. Clifford’s execution was poor, but if it would have worked, it would have been considered brilliant. Another Monday morning coaching situation that gets judged in hindsight.

I liked it as well. We are going to need plays like this vs Michigan to beat them. I'd rather have a roughing penalty vs Maryland when it's inconsequential working the kinks out than vs Michigan.

Reactions: 81b&w and AWS1022
I liked it as well. We are going to need plays like this vs Michigan to beat them. I'd rather have a roughing penalty vs Maryland when it's inconsequential working the kinks out than vs Michigan.
Blocked punts are something you don’t see much anymore from any team. I like taking a chance every once in a while especially against a good punter. I’m tired of getting pinned back inside the 10 all the time. Use your best athletes and see what you can do. Not all of them will result in a roughing call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT