ADVERTISEMENT

So Spieth is Pretty Good...(OT)

Hardest to watch:

- Johnson's putting?
- Hack's screen passes?
The "mechanics" that make Dustin the best ball striker on tour are also his nemesis once on the green. That's what made Tiger so special in his prime.

So many good, young golfers these days.

Oh shit, now they have to wait for Spieth for the green jacket thing. Think I'll catch a nap in between.

The "mechanics" that make Dustin the best ball striker on tour are also his nemesis once on the green. That's what made Tiger so special in his prime.

So many good, young golfers these days.

If DJ even putts "average" for a pro, he likely finishes tied with Willet - as it was, it took a special kind of putrid putting performance to finish 1-under for the day and tournament (4th) with 37 freaking putts!?!? Unfreaking-believable tee-to-green play by DJ to finish 1-under today with 37 putts - it's absurd that DJ shot 1-under today with that many putts!

Well as bad as it seems for Jordan, still pretty damn impressive to get around Augusta National in -2.....especially with the pressure of being defending champion.....especially being only 22 years old.....especially not having his "A" game the last three days.

I suspect he'll be back.....

Reactions: PSU77sh
Tough spot for Spieth there in Butler Cabin hiding his emotions. He was not a happy man.
It will make him stronger longer term, especially emotionally. Tiger never would have been as good as he was at an equal age if it weren't for his father putting him through "mind fvck".

That's why Tiger misses his father so much.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Cft9BK1WwAAxg2r.jpg

Reactions: Relayer
At Spieth's level of skill and success...as some have said this will make him better down the road. I agree 100%. As bad as this was, and it was horribly bad, he will be better for it. I wouldn't count on him pissing away a late lead at a major again if I were chasing him. He's so young, it's inevitable that something like this is going to happen in his career.

I am officially done with Dustin Johnson...Sick of his 350 yd drives and 3 putts. We are in trouble come Ryder Cup time....who we got? Spieth, Fowler, Bubba, big deal....Europe will clean our clocks...

What was the deal with Speith almost passing out? I like that kid a lot, he's been very mature and focused. He came back, several times, after rough spots. But in the cabin, he looked physically ill. He's got to consider, in three Masters, he went 2, 1, 2. Pretty darn good no matter the circumstances. Jack came in second 19 times (more than he won) in majors.

This will define him. Its a seminal moment for Speith. Its either going to improve him or kill him. But his reaction in the cabin was scary bad. He was professional, and trying to hold it together, but was seriously shaken.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
What was the deal with Speith almost passing out? I like that kid a lot, he's been very mature and focused. He came back, several times, after rough spots. But in the cabin, he looked physically ill. He's got to consider, in three Masters, he went 2, 1, 2. Pretty darn good no matter the circumstances. Jack came in second 19 times (more than he won) in majors.

This will define him. Its a seminal moment for Speith. Its either going to improve him or kill him. But his reaction in the cabin was scary bad. He was professional, and trying to hold it together, but was seriously shaken.

He almost fell over the chair too. He looked like he was about to bawl the whole time and it would sting.

He seems mentally tough though. To actually birdie two of the next three holes like he did was impressive. This might actually light him on fire in a positive way.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
He almost fell over the chair too. He looked like he was about to bawl the whole time and it would sting.

He seems mentally tough though. To actually birdie two of the next three holes like he did was impressive. This might actually light him on fire in a positive way.

I hope so. It looked like a kid, who thought he was bulletproof and above it all, suddenly realize his mortality. That kid has never looked back, or had to look back, his entire life. It was easy for him; there was never a downside. he never had to defend.

Well, welcome to being an adult, kid. I hope you can handle it.

In fairness to Spieth, he had to put the Green Jacket on again for the outdoor ceremony. He seemed better and even fixed the collar for Willett. Classy words about Jordan from the Masters champion.

On one hand, I think he comes back mentally toughened from this. On the other hand, I'm having trouble seeing consistency over a long career based on his swing mechanics. He is not real fluid in his transition from backswing to downswing. Some call it "tempo." I believe even his caddy used that word yesterday. Obviously his scrambling and putting were for the most part exceptional.

On one hand, I think he comes back mentally toughened from this. On the other hand, I'm having trouble seeing consistency over a long career based on his swing mechanics. He is not real fluid in his transition from backswing to downswing. Some call it "tempo." I believe even his caddy used that word yesterday. Obviously his scrambling and putting were for the most part exceptional.

having said that....his career at age 22 is "Tiger-ish". Two time world junior amateur champion and winner of two majors (with two seconds) at age 23. So his swing ain't too bad! Seriously, he could re-design it in the off season, as Tiger did several times.

I hope so. It looked like a kid, who thought he was bulletproof and above it all, suddenly realize his mortality. That kid has never looked back, or had to look back, his entire life. It was easy for him; there was never a downside. he never had to defend.

Well, welcome to being an adult, kid. I hope you can handle it.

I guess you missed last years British Open and his 2 part interview on Feherty

If it were a player that was only an average putter, I might agree, but given the way he can putt when he's "in the zone", don't agree. The flatstick can turn two ordinary shots into an extraordinary hole.....two or three gawd awful shots and one decent chip into a par......etc.... Spieth has never buttered his bread with incredible ball striking ability and he hasn't done too bad so far....

He is in a bit of a swing funk right now with these blocks to the right. Word is that when he would miss it was always left. I struggle with the same thing and when I get into a weak, push/block to the right it is hard to get out of....I hate it...has happened for about 8-10 rds the last 3 summers....

Well it was 7:30PM......considering he probably had lunch prior to 1:00PM, it's very possible his blood sugar was down and he could easily have been dehydrated too. Or maybe he was just still in a state of shock.....

66-74-73-73 = -2

Still pretty damn remarkable for a 22 year old kid. And coming back from #12 with birdies at #13 and #15 and giving himself a great opportunity at #16, well, not many golfers of any age could and would have mounted that comeback.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT