ADVERTISEMENT

So, tell me if I am being a good guy or not a good guy in this situation...

...next year, I have plans to head to the British Open in England. However, prior to The Open, I am taking a side trip to Greece for a week. I booked my trips (solo) as I was not sure who was able to come on either of these trips (most people I know don't plan like I do and wait until the month before).

Anyway, one of the circle of friends indicated she wanted to go to Greece and not England - no problem. She is a teacher and sometimes money gets tight for her - when she looked at the price of a R/T ticket from Philly and/or Newark to Greece, it was prohibitively expensive for her (about $1600+).

So, I offered to book the ticket using my FF miles and she can pay me a reasonable fee - I told her i would be OK with $600-$800.

I thought I was being a good guy, but she went off on me stating that since I had so many miles, I should just book the ticket for her and she pays the administrative fees (about $100).

So, was I wrong to offer to get the ticket for her and ask for half price? I feel I was going out of my way to help since money is a bit tight for her and I even offered to let her pay me over time. However, she is adamant that she should not have to pay half the full price, even if it means not going.

Just for the record, she is just a person I know, not a personal relationship. Sorry - no pics so throw the flag.

Figure I would let the expertise of BWI tell me if I am being a good guy or not in this situation.
You are in the right. You could use those miles on yourself to fly somewhere and if you give them away the next trip will cost you money.

All good comments. I am assuming all the responders are men.

I have not asked a woman’s perspective on this but if you think about it-ask you wife what she thinks. I would like to hear a woman’s thoughts on this. Just to see if it’s different.

The wife says...."I'd say he was being very fare. She's asking for a handout."

...next year, I have plans to head to the British Open in England. However, prior to The Open, I am taking a side trip to Greece for a week. I booked my trips (solo) as I was not sure who was able to come on either of these trips (most people I know don't plan like I do and wait until the month before).

Anyway, one of the circle of friends indicated she wanted to go to Greece and not England - no problem. She is a teacher and sometimes money gets tight for her - when she looked at the price of a R/T ticket from Philly and/or Newark to Greece, it was prohibitively expensive for her (about $1600+).

So, I offered to book the ticket using my FF miles and she can pay me a reasonable fee - I told her i would be OK with $600-$800.

I thought I was being a good guy, but she went off on me stating that since I had so many miles, I should just book the ticket for her and she pays the administrative fees (about $100).

So, was I wrong to offer to get the ticket for her and ask for half price? I feel I was going out of my way to help since money is a bit tight for her and I even offered to let her pay me over time. However, she is adamant that she should not have to pay half the full price, even if it means not going.

Just for the record, she is just a person I know, not a personal relationship. Sorry - no pics so throw the flag.

Figure I would let the expertise of BWI tell me if I am being a good guy or not in this situation.

I'd tell her to get a gyro at Arbys and forget the offer.................

Reactions: LionJim

Tell her thanks but no Thanks. Taking u for a sucker.

Let her get her own ticket. Problem solved

Just a tought....Maybe she thought it is a package deal. You were asking her on the trip, therefore it was a gift to her. A little presumptuous of her. No, a lot presumptuous.

I am completely in your camp on this on. I can tell you from experience that ff miles/points have material value during divorce proceedings. A spouse is legally entitled to half the "value" of all points accumulated during the term of a marriage. This type of cavalier attitude could only come from someone who doesn't go through the holy hell of frequent business travel.

Enjoy Greece though... Athens is amazing.

Reactions: Ski
Early 40s. Should know better IMHO.
I can’t help it
tenor.gif

Boss says your friend is in the wrong. Your offer was generous, she was out of line.

She’s clearly in the wrong. By the way, I’d engage in a new flight search engine. Took me two minutes to see Emirates flies direct RT from Newark to Athens for under $800.

People are fickle. Just when you think you're doing someone a favor you're offending them. Let it go. Concede to her it was just a spur-of-the-moment idea and move on. And never disclose your frequent mile balance again.

I thought sure she was going to be offended that you offered to give her something--that is, she would suspect you were trying to set up a trade of your paying part of the flight in exchange for some action. And maybe she did think that, but was simply negotiating the price.

what does this have to do with Penn State Football or recruiting. Make up your own mind. If you think you did the right thing so be it. I think there’s a test board for this nonsense.
Exactly who put a gun to your head yo make you read this ?

schmuk.

Not sure if discussed, but IMO, you asked for more than a fair price for what she would get. Additionally, offering it to her for free or for very little would make the trip awkward IMO - as in, you have this gift worth value hanging over both of your heads and no idea if there is an expectation or pressure to deliver the balance in another way. If you get my drift. Not something I'd want to deal with, nor you, since what you asked for was very fair and more than generous without being too gratuitous.

She’s clearly in the wrong. By the way, I’d engage in a new flight search engine. Took me two minutes to see Emirates flies direct RT from Newark to Athens for under $800.
True, and that might be her best option. However, I did offer her a price even less than that ($600) which I would have accepted, and she would have a 20 minute drive to PHL vs. a 1 hour drive to EWR.

And you call her a friend. She is selfish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT