ADVERTISEMENT

Somethings not right with Franklin.

He's been that way since the aftermath of 2018 Ohio State. That 2018 team flat out quit the rest of that season, and I put that on him.

And it's continuing on to this day.

Something just doesn’t add up, to me.
He seems distant, and not engaged.
I never seen one of his teams be this woefully unprepared 3 weeks in a row.

Being 0-3 with losses to Indiana and Maryland will do that. Plus losing a top recruit.

Today reminded me of the Ticket City Bowl when Scrap had Rob Bolden out there throwing picks all over the place and since noone seemed to care that PSU fans paid money to see that game, Scrap just kept him in the entire game.
Scrap cared so little, knowing he'd be terminated, they didn't even sub scrubs in the game so they could get play time.

That's how this team looked today.

LdN

There is something going on. He looks disengaged and subdued. Maybe it has a lot to do with his family being in FL. I never understood how they would be safer living there during a pandemic just looking at per capita cases. Maybe the medical options are better there for his daughter.
The fact that Dotson mentioned problems with “ distractions “ only added speculation, but it could be just about anything.

Reactions: PSUfiji and N&B4PSU
Being 0-3 with losses to Indiana and Maryland will do that. Plus losing a top recruit.

Today reminded me of the Ticket City Bowl when Scrap had Rob Bolden out there throwing picks all over the place and since noone seemed to care that PSU fans paid money to see that game, Scrap just kept him in the entire game.
Scrap cared so little, knowing he'd be terminated, they didn't even sub scrubs in the game so they could get play time.

That's how this team looked today.

LdN
Didn’t McGloin have a concussion from a locker room fight, causing him to miss that game?

Well he needs to get engaged or step away. This program needs leadership. He is being paid millions to do a job to the best of his ability. As far as the family stuff is concerned not saying it wouldn’t be hard I was away from my wife for the better part of 6 months a number of years ago. Having said that people in the military go through far worse on a regular basis.

Franklin lost the team when he didn’t discipline the “bong” brothers.... those guys get busted and no suspensions. Shocking. Then CSB, Ellis, and Jones go AWOL and nobody knows anything about it. Throw in Oweh and Luketa in SoCal “working out” with Parsons and it appears the team has different rules.

Franklin lost the team when he didn’t discipline the “bong” brothers.... those guys get busted and no suspensions. Shocking. Then CSB, Ellis, and Jones go AWOL and nobody knows anything about it. Throw in Oweh and Luketa in SoCal “working out” with Parsons and it appears the team has different rules.

Maybe those AWOL players have caused drama and conflict between the players and coaches. Dotson said they are not playing as One and there are distractions. There are a couple of new coaches this year so maybe the coaches/players are not buying into the system this year.

I don’t see a win on this schedule unless serious improvement takes place very soon. The top recruits in PA are headed elsewhere and we’ll see if the 2022 recruits hang in there or open up their recruitment if the season keeps veering into disaster. I could see Franklin pulling an Urban Meyer and cite family reasons and then doing TV for a year. I wouldn’t blame him one bit

Agreed. There’s clearly strong turbulence under the surface, but he’s putting forth a pretty professional facade... kudos for that. —Could stem from personal issues( family), coaches/players, COVID, politics , health.... a whole array of issues . Hell, could be parts of all of them. —-There’s definitely “ a disturbance in the force”

Well he needs to get engaged or step away. This program needs leadership. He is being paid millions to do a job to the best of his ability. As far as the family stuff is concerned not saying it wouldn’t be hard I was away from my wife for the better part of 6 months a number of years ago. Having said that people in the military go through far worse on a regular basis.
As a Retired AF member and DS/DS veteran, I have been deployed many times away from my family. Honestly, it affects everyone differently. Franklin might be struggling with the separation, unable to fully focus and the team and staff reflect those struggles.

As a Retired AF member and DS/DS veteran, I have been deployed many times away from my family. Honestly, it affects everyone differently. Franklin might be struggling with the separation, unable to fully focus and the team and staff reflect those struggles.
100% agree

I don’t see a win on this schedule unless serious improvement takes place very soon. The top recruits in PA are headed elsewhere and we’ll see if the 2022 recruits hang in there or open up their recruitment if the season keeps veering into disaster. I could see Franklin pulling an Urban Meyer and cite family reasons and then doing TV for a year. I wouldn’t blame him one bit

I agree, Franklin is going to Resign at the end of this season. He may cite burnout, family issues, and/or the pandemic.

And in his next job interview, he can blame the pandemic for a lousy 2020 season. But Struggling in both 2020 AND 2021 will destroy his next employment hopes at a top program.

Last edited:
I agree, Franklin is going to Resign at the end of this season. He may cite burnout, family issues, and/or the pandemic.
If he is as disengaged as he looks, and has any scruples whatsoever, he has no choice but to resign. Staying on and pulling down $5-6 mil/yr is beyond hypocritical.

Reactions: db90

If Franklin resigns, I don't see any chance he'd get another power 5 job again. His stock has plummeted and he would be insane to walk away from the contract that PSU just recently gave him.

Honestly, if he's having mental issues then he need to resign right now.

Reactions: Lyons212 and m.knox
If Franklin resigns, I don't see any chance he'd get another power 5 job again. His stock has plummeted and he would be insane to walk away from the contract that PSU just recently gave him.

Honestly, if he's having mental issues then he need to resign right now.
Bet Vanderbilt would welcome him back. I doubt one down year would affect his stock.

Same here, and you’re absolutely right.

Some deployments I managed separation well. Others, less so. It’s hard to predict.

CJF has serious explaining to do, but those calling the family issue “lame” don’t know what they’re talking about.

If Franklin resigns, I don't see any chance he'd get another power 5 job again.
There are a lot of P5 schools so I think this statement is a little extreme. Even if one said desirable (as in places with a history of success) P5 schools there are probably still a few that would not surprise me at all to have interest.

This is like a major league pitcher just losing his fastball overnight or a champion golfer developing the yips.

It’s painful to watch and I never thought highly of Franklin’s gameday coaching abilities.

Something is definitely up. He just looks aloof and mentally checked out on the sidelines. It’s almost like he’s been told they’re shutting down the program after the season and he no longer gives a f*ck.

It could very well be the separation from his family but you would think he could cope with that. He is getting paid 6.5 mil. He just seems shell shocked and has no answers. In the presser today he was clueless to explain how his team had no energy and fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT