ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle Day 2 Session 3 - Semis and 5th Rnd Consi

Wow, what do you think about that? Well, Rasheed, you know what you have to do...

What an utterly bizarre overturn. That surely seemed like Cassar should've won it late.

Cassar was the aggressor that entire match, has to finish one of those shots though. Thought he had 2 at the end, kind of like Spencer's match at Midlands...

Why wouldnt Cassar get NF points even if there was no TD? edit(meant to say Cassar)
No takedown, so no automatic count. A danger count should've started but it would've been too late, given what time was remaining, I believe.

If your gonna wrestle close matches you need to be good on top. Cassar gets off the hips and rides high and gives relatively easy escapes.
If Rasheed wins tourney its gonna be interesting who goes at 97.

Why wouldnt Cassar get NF points even if there was no TD? edit(meant to say Cassar)

You can't get nearfall points from neutral. You have to have the TD first. Also, I think Byers and everyone else missed it but I don't think the refs overturned the TD on review. They waved off the TD in the first place (Byers did question whether they had done that) and then upheld their call on the review.

Reactions: tikk10
All indications are such on the Sqwawker forum that Spencer Lee is starting in the Sqwawker's next dual with Michigan State.

Looks like the knee wasn't so dinged up after all after the loss to Bresser. :D

Must be tough for the Iowa fans who are constantly going back and forth over SL's redshirt. Obviously what matters most is they all fall in line, and there's still time for that.

I am amazed at the inability of officials to think on their own. If you get a guys hands to touch the mat, it is a takedown. No reaction time. Cassar has the guys back on the mat and he broke his hold around the waist and grabbed the leg to pass it. So if the hand can be on the mat and it is takedown, why isn't it a takedown when the back is on the mat. No reason to reward the offensive wrestler, I guess.

Reactions: PA Power
Meanwhile..Rasheed pins everyone under a minute..dominating tourney so far. I don't care who wins in the room, Rasheed looks awesome. Has mat awareness, scrambling ability, a nasty cradle. I hope Cael gives him shot in next dual. Cassar has all the ability in the world, but I feel like he has no clue what's going on when he's on that mat

Rasheed has had a great tournament and some head scratching losses this season. Not an easy decision at all.

You can't get nearfall points from neutral. You have to have the TD first. Also, I think Byers and everyone else missed it but I don't think the refs overturned the TD on review. They waved off the TD in the first place (Byers did question whether they had done that) and then upheld their call on the review.

This isn't true with the rule change this year. You don't need to get a TD to get nearfall. Jason has gotten 4 NF without getting a TD on a number of guys this year with that move he does when he's draped over the back.

Of course, I'm a UNI homer (but honest), but it seems to me that two officials reviewing the call together would suffice for it to be a good and accurate call.

This isn't true with the rule change this year. You don't need to get a TD to get nearfall. Jason has gotten 4 NF without getting a TD on a number of guys this year with that move he does when he's draped over the back.

No he hasn't. He was awarded the TD first in ALL of the cases. The rule change did NOT change the fact that you can only get NF points when you are in the top position.

Of course, I'm a UNI homer (but honest), but it seems to me that two officials reviewing the call together would suffice for it to be a good and accurate call.

Seemed like a bad call to me but that's besides the point. All Cassar has to do is hold him down for 4 more seconds instead of releasing him and he wins with riding time point..no mat awareness what so ever.

Last edited:
That was my understanding also. I thought they new rule allowed NF without control.

But there needs to be a danger count first, which should've occurred here but didn't, and ultimately wouldn't have mattered b/c he rolled through it.

Reactions: JimNazium
Meanwhile..Rasheed pins everyone under a minute..dominating tourney so far. I don't care who wins in the room, Rasheed looks awesome. Has mat awareness, scrambling ability, a nasty cradle. I hope Cael gives him shot in next dual. Cassar has all the ability in the world, but I feel like he has no clue what's going on when he's on that mat
I worry about his gas tank.........;)

That was my understanding also. I thought they new rule allowed NF without control.

It does not. It awards a TD if you have the man in the danger (read Delgado/Heil) position of your shoulders beyond 90 degrees. It makes no mention whatsoever of NF points.

Reactions: JimNazium
Rasheed looks like he is getting use to being 197 pounder. He is very athletic and quick for a 197 pounder. Has Long arms which make him deadly with the cradle. Love his work ethic and fortitude. He was 3rd on the depth chart and he might just be wrestling in March.

No he hasn't. He was awarded the TD first in ALL of the cases. The rule change did NOT change the fact that you can only get NF points when you are in the top position.

Just watched it again on my phone .... in the Indiana match, the ref started counting NF without awarding a TD when Nolf hit the whirlybird move ..... not sure if he was granted the TD after the fact.

Cassar looks dumbfounded out there at times. If Rasheed wins, he’s got to be the guy. It’s like the coaches have to tell him what to do and the scenarik every match. Like I said, his floor is the scary thing. Going to need every point at nationals. Rasheed’s first couple matches at nationals could be huge if they are pins.

Reactions: Lyons212 and pish69
Rasheed looks like he is getting use to being 197 pounder. He is very athletic and quick for a 197 pounder. Has Long arms which make him deadly with the cradle. Love his work ethic and fortitude. He was 3rd on the depth chart and he might just be wrestling in March.

I agree. Rasheed is finally healthy and at the right weight and looks fantastic.

Just watched it again on my phone .... in the Indiana match, the ref started counting NF without awarding a TD when Nolf hit the whirlybird move ..... not sure if he was granted the TD after the fact.

You probably just didn't notice the ref awarded the TD as the signal for that may have been after the nearfall happened. Here is the rule

Art. 3. Neutral Danger Zone Takedown. When in the neutral position, the referee
shall announce a neutral danger signal (NDS) anytime a wrestler exposes their
shoulders to the mat at any angle less than 90 degrees (neutral danger zone).
The danger zone utilizes near fall criteria outlined in Rule 4.5.1, but replaces
45 degrees with any angle less than 90 degrees. The NDS announcement shall
occur anytime a wrestler is voluntarily or involuntarily in the neutral danger
zone, beyond reaction time, and will continue until the wrestler is out of the
danger zone or a takedown is awarded.

Art. 4. Neutral Danger Signal. The NDS is a verbal announcement of the word
"danger," followed by a verbal three count. If the referee reaches the third count
and the wrestler is still in the danger zone, the opposing wrestler is awarded a
takedown.

Cassar was the aggressor that entire match, has to finish one of those shots though. Thought he had 2 at the end, kind of like Spencer's match at Midlands...
Not really. Cassar actually shot multiple shots and should have scored multiple takedowns. Spencer took zero shots past his opponent's hands and never considered scoring a takedown.

Like, beyond being a PSU match and beyond it being in a very serious situation to decide the starter, that call was ****ing stupid.

Normally, I try to at least let things simmer and give refs the benefit of the doubt (Unless I know them), but that was dumb as hell.

Reactions: nitlion6
You probably just didn't notice the ref awarded the TD as the signal for that may have been after the nearfall happened. Here is the rule

Art. 3. Neutral Danger Zone Takedown. When in the neutral position, the referee
shall announce a neutral danger signal (NDS) anytime a wrestler exposes their
shoulders to the mat at any angle less than 90 degrees (neutral danger zone).
The danger zone utilizes near fall criteria outlined in Rule 4.5.1, but replaces
45 degrees with any angle less than 90 degrees. The NDS announcement shall
occur anytime a wrestler is voluntarily or involuntarily in the neutral danger
zone, beyond reaction time, and will continue until the wrestler is out of the
danger zone or a takedown is awarded.

Art. 4. Neutral Danger Signal. The NDS is a verbal announcement of the word
"danger," followed by a verbal three count. If the referee reaches the third count
and the wrestler is still in the danger zone, the opposing wrestler is awarded a
takedown.

no. its actually quite clear, he starts counting before awarding a TD

i do believe after now watching the entire clip that he awards 2 points after the fact.

Cassar looks dumbfounded out there at times. If Rasheed wins, he’s got to be the guy. It’s like the coaches have to tell him what to do and the scenarik every match. Like I said, his floor is the scary thing. Going to need every point at nationals. Rasheed’s first couple matches at nationals could be huge if they are pins.

I don't disagree. Rasheed's health makes me a little nervous, but I would be very happy for him to have the spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT