ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle Day 2 Session 3 - Semis and 5th Rnd Consi

no. its actually quite clear, he starts counting before awarding a TD

i do believe after now watching the entire clip that he awards 2 points after the fact.
I always thought refs were trained to do that (start counting before awarding the 2), otherwise they would be late in starting the count.
See this all the time, which is why I figured it was how refs were taught.

0Zz57y4.gif

i do believe after now watching the entire clip that he awards 2 points after the fact.

that's not uncommon in HS and youth wrestling, particularly if it's a TD to the back. If the ref goes through the proper signal sequence for the TD, they risk missing 3 seconds of swipes, which isn't fair to the top wrestler. Some refs will award the 2 for the TD with one hand, and give swipes with the other hand, but that's a lot to do, especially if they have to jump around to check whether or not it's a pin.

Reactions: mn78psu83
that's not uncommon in HS and youth wrestling, particularly if it's a TD to the back. If the ref goes through the proper signal sequence for the TD, they risk missing 3 seconds of swipes, which isn't fair to the top wrestler. Some refs will award the 2 for the TD with one hand, and give swipes with the other hand, but that's a lot to do, especially if they have to jump around to check whether or not it's a pin.

absolutely

I am just not 100% familiar with the new rule & didnt know if that was involved in that particular series of moves

He is definitely not fully healthy. I know that for a fact. Did take off the big knee pad for today which meant it was feeling better.

If he's not fully healthy then the rest of the 197's in the country better watch out because he has been VERY impressive. I was really hoping to see him wrestle Cassar in the finals but the refs robbed us of that. Oh well.

Cassar and Nevills will be wrestling this afternoon, but I'm going to have to step away for a bit, so I can't provide coverage for their matches. Just a heads up.

You are supposed to avoid being put on your back in the sport of wrestling. When you are on your back like the UNI kid you should be punished not rewarded. It's really that simple.

I always thought refs were trained to do that (start counting before awarding the 2), otherwise they would be late in starting the count.
See this all the time, which is why I figured it was how refs were taught.
Unless you have a ref friend with experience you as a ref aren't taught much, but you are basically correct. The proper technique would be to signal the Td while maintaining track of a count in your head so that while moving into position and awarding the Td if you have already counted thousand one in your head when you start your swipe you can bark out "thousand two". Anyhow, since he was back swiping, in his head he had awarded the Td.
I would just like to hear the explanation for the wave off.

I didn't think so. His opponent was good he kept his head and got the win. One of the things he's supposed to do is win. He was on it

I agree with you. I think Lemons comment is just a byproduct of being spoiled as Penn State fans. A hard fought win can be disappointing looking compared to the fall festival that was happening earlier.

If your gonna wrestle close matches you need to be good on top. Cassar gets off the hips and rides high and gives relatively easy escapes.
If Rasheed wins tourney its gonna be interesting who goes at 97.

Especially if Rasheed wins tonight with authority.

Cassar has so much ability, but doesn’t open up. Neither Rasheed or Cassar are reaching the finals at 197, but when I look at the 2 styles, if Rasheed gets hot, he will string some needed bonus point pins together. I don’t see Cassar doing that. He struggles to major Kids.

Nick beat Hughes from Hofstra 4-1

He has 5th seed Butler from Stanford in his 3rd place bout.

Reactions: 4INSBU
I would rather Cassar learn the lesson now in the scuffle than NCAAs. Time to open up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT