ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Great Wrestler but question his character

Are we all now members of the snowflake generation?

Spencer vs Drake
A bit of a bad look? sure
Team leadership at it's best? Nope
The worst we have seen? not by a long shot
Anywhere close to a half dozen ADS antics? no
Worthy of pages and pages of judgemental parabolic analysis, finger pointing & commentary? No
A goat still getting his sea legs mentally and physically after a long layoff? You bet
Time to move on? Please!

Maybe it's just me.

I don’t think anyone on the internet knows much about the situation, but it hasn’t stopped me from reading about it since last night lol.

Things happen for a reason. This is a combat sport.

One of my favorite memories is when Zane Rutherford pinned James English and pushed his head into the mat while screaming at the coaches and bragging...

Oh, wait a second. Zain never did that, and James was a hero who never complained.
giphy.gif

Reactions: psu85psu

Spencer vs Drake
Worthy of pages and pages of judgemental parabolic analysis, finger pointing & commentary? No
A goat still getting his sea legs mentally and physically after a long layoff? You bet
Time to move on? Please!

Maybe it's just me.
giphy.gif

Reactions: jrod65

Spencer vs Drake
Time to move on? Please!

Maybe it's just me.
Oh hell…it’s just fun to poke fun at Iowa and their fans…considering all of their hyperventilating about Carter.

It certainly makes you wonder about their team chemistry. Also surprised that Spencer has been in Iowa for 6 years and has yet to wrestle freestyle. Wonder if he’s PISSED.

Funny thing is Iowa fans already had Spencer penciled in for long-term involvement with their team with his eventually becoming the next HC. All that is starting to look a lot less likely.

The only thing out of place is Spencer in Iowa City. Maybe he should come on over to University Park so he could realize his full wrestling potential while learning how to be a good teammate!😎
Admittedly though, when your top role models for sportsmanship are the Brands brothers, well, nothing more need be said.

Last edited:

Spencer vs Drake
Time to move on? Please!

Maybe it's just me.
It was something bad that happened with a star Iowa wrestler and you don't want us to talk about it? That's what we do and it makes us feel better about ourselves. 😉

Spencer vs Drake
Time to move on? Please!

Maybe it's just me.
Instead of begging us to not talk about this, why not try to stay out of not one but two threads where it’s being discussed? Another suggestion, if the subject is so hard on you that you are reduced to begging people to stop, maybe you shouldn’t run over to an entirely different board (HR) and comment in the thread that this same topic is being discussed? Or at the very least, don’t go in the thread and discuss what you don’t want being discussed.

Agree though, maybe it’s time to move on. Any ideas on what we should discuss?

Instead of begging us to not talk about this, why not try to stay out of not one but two threads where it’s being discussed? Another suggestion, if the subject is so hard on you that you are reduced to begging people to stop, maybe you shouldn’t run over to an entirely different board (HR) and comment in the thread that this same topic is being discussed? Or at the very least, don’t go in the thread and discuss what you don’t want being discussed.

Do you think RBY would face mush Spencer after majoring him?

FWIW - the episode between Lee and Ayala reminds me of my own experience when I was a freshman in college. There was another guy on our team, also a freshman, with whom I entered into a pretty intense rivalry. We were a lot more closely matched than Lee vs Ayala and we were really out to “get” each other when we wrestled together in practice. Uncomplimentary words were exchanged on more than one occasion.

Fast forward to 54 years later which is now. This same person is one of my closest friends. We talk frequently on the phone and have traveled back and forth across the country to visit each other about a dozen times. I don’t know what the situation is like between Lee and Ayala, but the past isn’t always the best predictor of the future.

FWIW - the episode between Lee and Ayala reminds me of my own experience when I was a freshman in college. There was another guy on our team, also a freshman, with whom I entered into a pretty intense rivalry. We were a lot more closely matched than Lee vs Ayala and we were really out to “get” each other when we wrestled together in practice. Uncomplimentary words were exchanged on more than one occasion.

Fast forward to 54 years later which is now. This same person is one of my closest friends. We talk frequently on the phone and have traveled back and forth across the country to visit each other about a dozen times. I don’t know what the situation is like between Lee and Ayala, but the past isn’t always the best predictor of the future.
I had this same type of experience with an old teammate….pain, blood, the whole nine yards.

He too later on became my closest “friend”. I mean, it probably didn’t hurt that he was my twin brother but I were to be honest, we became “friends” mostly because our momma would have beaten us with a spatula if we didn’t find a way to become friends. :)

Let's discuss Spencer Lee's "different way" of life...lol

I'm looking at all these posts on New Years Eve and early New Years day.

Bordeaux's wife is right - NERDS! *

" As Bordeaux himself posted at 9:49 pm last night, wherever he was he was bored as shit and decided to post a gif.

Happy New Year to Iowa and Penn State fans. Looking forward to January 27th and my New Year wish is 60-0. Yea Gary plant his ass.

** One of you genius nerds have to come up with a chant everytime those mat monkey brothers leave their chairs during the match.

I think it's because Spencer has a long track record of doing the opposite with his opponents so for it to happen with a teammate was just weird.

Spencer clearly didn't want to wrestle that match for a variety of reasons (injury risk, he was clearly pretty worn out after the semis and the match doesn't even count), he was told he needed to if Drake wanted it (which he did) I think Spencer also took offense to it because in many ways, that implied Drake thought he could outright beat him (why else do you want a match?)

He had a "You like that?" moment and that's all there is to it. Drake's family didn't appreciate it so they've since leaked he doesn't practice with the team.

Candidly, I don't think Spencer is all that interested in taking a mentoring role with the young guys. I don't blame him either, I think the last few years has been mentally and physically draining on him. The fact he is in college a 6th year and hasn't wrestled an international free event in college has to annoy him a bit. If he isn't in the room even then that definitely reinforces it. Kemerer, DeSanto, Eierman, Marinelli were his guys and he wanted to finish up with them (with a title of course) Now he wants #4 and to get out.
your last paragraph is everything... this Iowa team isn't his guys... that makes a difference...

The big thing is that this in the end hurts Spencer Lee. Part of the draw for lightweights going to Iowa is that they get to wrestle the best in the country…Spencer Lee. Part of the draw of going to PSU is that you get to wrestle the best in the world. If Spencer refuses to wrestle teammates, ie Gilman, Ayala then he is not a good teammate. Why go there if you might be a threat to the three time National champ and basically get snubbed.

The big thing is that this in the end hurts Spencer Lee. Part of the draw for lightweights going to Iowa is that they get to wrestle the best in the country…Spencer Lee. Part of the draw of going to PSU is that you get to wrestle the best in the world. If Spencer refuses to wrestle teammates, ie Gilman, Ayala then he is not a good teammate. Why go there if you might be a threat to the three time National champ and basically get snubbed.
idk what kind of self-centered idiot would want to go live with someone rehabbing multiple acl replacements. Ayala clearly not a threat to Spencer and never has been/was expected to be. Covid and injuries ruined what should have been a smooth transition for Ayala into the lineup and spencer into freestyle.

Threads like this are Golden. Something always has to be out of place! 🤣
It’s threads like this that make me wish i could get the time i wasted spending reading it. Not to mention no one on this board knows the whole truth (minus what mama Ayala posted) all over is speculation and rumors on twitter. We complain when we get MFF and then when we get a matchup of 2 top 10 125 lbers we complain about the extracurriculars that took place after the match.

Reactions: WildTurk
I see a bitter, frustrated, hobbled generational talent because the two Neanderthals he trusted with his career (Terry & Tom) are glorified gym teachers who couldn’t manage a cup of coffee.

Tom & Terry overtrain all their kids in that pressure cooker.
Six years will wear down anyone.

your last paragraph is everything... this Iowa team isn't his guys... that makes a difference...
Contrast that though with RBY this year. His plans were to be done last year, and in all his interviews this year he talks about how much he’s enjoyed being a leader, helping our freshman out, and how getting another team title is his priority.

Not saying things are as bad with Spencer as everyone is speculating, and RBY has certainly to this point enjoyed a more healthy body—but something seems different. 🤔

I had this same type of experience with an old teammate….pain, blood, the whole nine yards.

He too later on became my closest “friend”. I mean, it probably didn’t hurt that he was my twin brother but I were to be honest, we became “friends” mostly because our momma would have beaten us with a spatula if we didn’t find a way to become friends. :)
I had the same situation. Everytime I see the guy I punch him in the face lol. Just kidding. Just wanted to see what it looked like written down

Reactions: johnstownsteel
It’s threads like this that make me wish i could get the time i wasted spending reading it. Not to mention no one on this board knows the whole truth (minus what mama Ayala posted) all over is speculation and rumors on twitter. We complain when we get MFF and then when we get a matchup of 2 top 10 125 lbers we complain about the extracurriculars that took place after the match.
Kind of funny when you think about it. If this happened before social media it would only be two old guys in a gym somewhere talking about a 125 pound match way back when between two kids from a state called Iowa. You know where all the corn grows

Reactions: nitlion6
I'm looking at all these posts on New Years Eve and early New Years day.

Bordeaux's wife is right - NERDS! *

" As Bordeaux himself posted at 9:49 pm last night, wherever he was he was bored as shit and decided to post a gif.

Happy New Year to Iowa and Penn State fans. Looking forward to January 27th and my New Year wish is 60-0. Yea Gary plant his ass.

** One of you genius nerds have to come up with a chant everytime those mat monkey brothers leave their chairs during the match.
As for a chant, “you wanted this” is perfect after any dual defeat or when nationals is wrapped up

Considering Cael is 11 years younger than TnT, it isn't a stretch imagining Cael being around to torture TnT's replacement as he has the twins.
Maybe. I haven’t been paying that much attention, but I assume Iowa is more attractive from an NIL perspective.

Feel like recruiting could easily shift power one way or spread it around to more programs. Again, could be wrong- haven’t been paying much attention to NIL so far.

See recruiting as being PSU’s biggest advantage over iowa- not really much of a secret. Not taking anything away from Cael, he’s certainly a great head coach and has a track record of getting the most out of his guys/developing them.

Maybe. I haven’t been paying that much attention, but I assume Iowa is more attractive from an NIL perspective.

Feel like recruiting could easily shift power one way or spread it around to more programs. Again, could be wrong- haven’t been paying much attention to NIL so far.

See recruiting as being PSU’s biggest advantage over iowa- not really much of a secret. Not taking anything away from Cael, he’s certainly a great head coach and has a track record of getting the most out of his guys/developing them.
Why would Iowa be more attractive from an NIL perspective?

Larger number of fans and the following in the state for the program would make the guys in the room (in mind) attractive to local businesses- which in my mind is more emphasized in wrestling NIL than say football.

I’m thinking the fewer individual and team championships, the less post-graduation international success, the unwillingness to participate in individual and team tournaments that might have certain other teams also in attendance, all the injuries and all the pushouts.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Larger number of fans and the following in the state for the program would make the guys in the room (in mind) attractive to local businesses- which in my mind is more emphasized in wrestling NIL than say football.
Do you have evidence you can share that shows Iowa has the larger fanbase?

Has it occurred to you at all that PA is a MUCH larger wrestling state than Iowa?

Do you have evidence you can share that shows Iowa has the larger fanbase?

Has it occurred to you at all that PA is a MUCH larger wrestling state than Iowa?
Yeah.. i’m not talking necessarily # of hs/youth wrestlers… i’m talking of the general public at least semi-following the team in the state. Real money with endorsements is for dumb shit like car dealerships and people need to know who you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT