ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Great Wrestler but question his character

Contrast that though with RBY this year. His plans were to be done last year, and in all his interviews this year he talks about how much he’s enjoyed being a leader, helping our freshman out, and how getting another team title is his priority.

Not saying things are as bad with Spencer as everyone is speculating, and RBY has certainly to this point enjoyed a more healthy body—but something seems different. 🤔
Yeah…totally different vibe with the 125 lb Iowa veterans through the years. Ramos, Gilman, now Spencer drama…WTF is going on in IC? Is it the Hobbits stoking something negative down in the lower weights with their alpha male bravado BS?

Doesn’t seem to be an issue in the higher weights….curious.

Yeah.. i’m not talking necessarily # of hs/youth wrestlers… i’m talking of the general public at least semi-following the team in the state. Real money with endorsements is for dumb shit like car dealerships and people need to know who you are.
So no evidence? But you think Iowa wrestlers are more well known in their locale despite PSU dominating the last decade+ in both individual and team champions? I have to disagree.

Do you have evidence you can share that shows Iowa has the larger fanbase?

Has it occurred to you at all that PA is a MUCH larger wrestling state than Iowa?
Since the Big 10 network put out their schedule this year, I have been curious if there's somewhere we could see the ratings of matches they have aired for say the past 10 years or so. Iowa is on more this year than PSU so unless they are dumb, I'd say Iowa may draw better numbers. I'll say though, who Iowa or PSU is wrestling affects those numbers as well so just looking at the raw numbers won't give a complete story.

Reactions: mcpat
So no evidence? But you think Iowa wrestlers are more well known in their locale despite PSU dominating the last decade+ in both individual and team champions? I have to disagree.
Bro I already put a disclaimer that this was speculation on my part and have listed my reasons for thinking there’s more potential at iowa for a superstar (i.e. Spencer Lee) to make more money….

And yes, I can say with probably a 99% certainty that Iowa wrestlers are more known to the public in iowa to specifically people who barely follow the sport or don’t follow at all- Gable really put an imprint on the general public… although that may fade as we need another run.

Since the Big 10 network put out their schedule this year, I have been curious if there's somewhere we could see the ratings of matches they have aired for say the past 10 years or so. Iowa is on more this year than PSU so unless they are dumb, I'd say Iowa may draw better numbers. I'll say though, who Iowa or PSU is wrestling affects those numbers as well so just looking at the raw numbers won't give a complete story.
Interesting. But you’d also have to look also when/ what time the matches are and what else there is to show at the same time.

But I’ll admit that’s real evidence.

It seems to me that every time PSU wrestling is being streamed, it turns into a huge money maker for the streaming service.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Reactions: PASLP2 and danoftw
363K watched the dual, 175k watched the Brands documentary. That means more than half (188k) did NOT care to watch the documentary. Not following your logic?
Logic: it’s friday night, Iowa just lost, and now you want me to sit through a documentary I can simply DVR? No way in hell north of say 75% of iowa fans watching the dual stuck around for the documentary- and the Brands’ are not universally liked in our fan base whatsoever.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUer1989
Logic: it’s friday night, Iowa just lost, and now you want me to sit through a documentary I can simply DVR? No way in hell north of say 75% of iowa fans watching the dual stuck around for the documentary- and the Brands’ are not universally liked in our fan base whatsoever.

I watched it. Does that make me an Iowa fan?

A lot of folks watch the Dahmer documentary on Netflix too.

Last edited:
NCAA wrestling tournament viewership has been on the rise each year. Since the finals typical have 4-5 PSU wrestlers and 0-2 Iowa wrestlers…. I guess that supports more PSU viewers?
? You’re comparing two very different measurements…. One is a generic sport rating and the other is specifically a dual between two competitors that actually provides enough data for us to draw some reasonable conclusions.

Nah. You just didn’t turn your tv off. You and 175,000 others.

I watched it. Does that make me an Iowa fan?
I was at Carver- And there’s the kicker…. We were already missing 10k+ from our tv ratings.

? You’re comparing two very different measurements…. One is a generic sport rating and the other is specifically a dual between two competitors that actually provides enough data for us to draw some reasonable conclusions.
So PSU vs Iowa draws a ton of viewership and that supports more Iowa fans?

I don’t know how all the raw numbers shake out, but it’s not far fetched to believe that the state of Iowa has so little else sports-wise to hang their hat on that Iowa wrestling (which used to be a dynasty) would have a more significant impact on the community than Penn State wrestling would in PA, proportionally.

This is probably getting very painful for everyone else. So I’ll stop and admit that BTN showing more Iowa matches than PSU matches may support your hypothesis (but there can be things to explain that; e.g. PSU makes streaming money for them, there were more basketball games during PSU matches, etc. just don’t know for certain).

I'd take a $700 hog farm deal and a free Pioneer Seed trucker hat over a couple titles every time. Some guys have different goals.
LOL the whole State College, PA thing combined with Iowa City and CR being oh idk at least 5X as large in population….

Honestly idk… finals are just a bad number for our question. I will say a back and forth between Iowa/PSU on a more regular basis would be excellent for the sport.
It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment.

Reactions: NCHawk55
As for a chant, “you wanted this” is perfect after any dual defeat or when nationals is wrapped up

Even “if” a lower percentage of PA sports fans follow PSU wrestling compared to Iowa, just the population difference between the two states still would give PA the edge. If you don’t think PA wrestlers from WPIAL, central PA, etc would get NIL sponsors from their hometown areas, you just don’t know PA wrestling.

Reactions: mcpat and PASLP2
The previous record for most watched dual was Penn State/Ohio State 2018 ... now I could be condescending and say the common denominator of most watched duals is Penn State but the reality is, good wrestling is good wrestling. It's a combination of fans of some big fanbases and just other people who love wrestling.

In terms of recruiting being shifted in favor of Iowa due to NIL, I'd be shocked if that is the case. I thought we were the one with the slush fund? All kidding aside, Pat Kraft has made it pretty clear he won't let Cael lose any advantages he needs to keep doing what he's doing and if Cael brings it up with him, he'll take care of it.

Not denying the state of Iowa's passion for wrestling, that's undeniable, it's special. But reality is, the bulk of the prep talent sits in the East Coast right now. Cael's foundation started with guys who were at Penn State anyways (Q, Ed, Frank) even guys like the Alton brothers and Nico I think were Penn Staters no matter what. Cael obviously sprinkled in guys who were there for Cael like David Taylor, Morgan McIntosh and Matt Brown. Zain and Nolf? Hard to imagine they aren't Penn Staters. Now do any of those guys get as good as they do without Cael? Absolutely NOT. With his reputation developed as a winning coach, his recruiting print has expanded to become whoever he wants.

Last edited:
@NCHawk55 I would agree that Iowa definitely has a larger fan in terms of wrestling. I mean wrestling was only introduced to Penn State in 2010. But don’t worry we will catch up
What in the heck are you talking about sir? This isn’t even necessarily a “who has more fans question?”. It’s a how well known is this guy for me to pay him for affiliation with my local/regional business

What in the heck are you talking about sir? This isn’t even necessarily a “who has more fans question?”. It’s a how well known is this guy for me to pay him for affiliation with my local/regional business
Actually, one could make the argument that more people in PA know who SL is as opposed to Iowa just saying.

Actually, one could make the argument that more people in PA know who SL is as opposed to Iowa just saying.
As a pct? I doubt it. Anyway I could see wrestling becoming even more concentrated at the top because of NIL.

The big dogs will all be openly able to get above the NCAA 9.9 nonsense by proxy and it’s game on from there. Honestly surprised it’s not brought up more.

I'm probably the only person that caught this and found it silly. Early last season when Spencer was still on the mat and Iowa was the favorite to repeat...Spencer, in an interview said he promised the A.D. 2 team titles when he signed with Iowa. Not 3, not 4 but 2 team titles???? Would like to know his thinking on that one. What, did he think, not even the great Spencer Lee can help them get 4? He promised 4 individual titles, was he saying the rest of the team wasn't good enough? It was just strange to me to hear that the kid with all the confidence in the world, teamed up with "his" guys wouldn't promise 4. I'll bet if that story is true, Brands at the time would have thought to himself wtf...2? Not 4? Lol

Will never know but I'd bet ESPN would have played that clip several times at Nationals had Iowa still been favored to repeat. In fact, I think the only reason Spencer even said that in the interview was because it looked like Iowa was going to repeat and the Great Spencer Lee was going to keep his promise. I'd also bet if Iowa looks like they are going to win the title on Saturday night you're going to hear that interview of the great Spencer Lee.

As a pct? I doubt it. Anyway I could see wrestling becoming even more concentrated at the top because of NIL.

The big dogs will all be openly able to get above the NCAA 9.9 nonsense by proxy and it’s game on from there. Honestly surprised it’s not brought up more.
That's kind of the case as is though? The bulk of the top talent is all going to PSU, Iowa and the 2 O States. The second pack (schools IMO like Arizona State, Missouri, NC State, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Nebraska) will collect a Top 10 PFP every now and then and build the rest of their team on some talented kids who might take a few years to be an AA.

I hope NIL never becomes much of anything in collegiate wrestling and kids constantly leaving to go to the big programs. I still think we will lose smaller programs if that starts to happen. Why would they want to continue losing money on a sport, using their own resources to develop kids only for them to go elsewhere when they are ready to succeed. I admit, I could be way off on this one but it is a concern of mine.

I hope NIL never becomes much of anything in collegiate wrestling and kids constantly leaving to go to the big programs. I still think we will lose smaller programs if that starts to happen. Why would they want to continue losing money on a sport, using their own resources to develop kids only for them to go elsewhere when they are ready to succeed. I admit, I could be way off on this one but it is a concern of mine.
I would agree that it is a big concern, and don’t want it to happen. Just saying someone’s going to start cranking NIL to get an edge… then it’s dominos. I’d put money on Ohio State to kick things off.

I would agree that it is a big concern, and don’t want it to happen. Just saying someone’s going to start cranking NIL to get an edge… then it’s dominos. I’d put money on Ohio State to kick things off.
Hey, did you post over on HR under a similar handle and get banned? If so and I remember correctly you are nothing like the "you" that posted over there. Lol

Hey, did you post over on HR under a similar handle and get banned? If so and I remember correctly you are nothing like the "you" that posted over there. Lol
Same dude. If I was a dick on the wrestling board I was probably drunk or trolling trolls…. I was already pretty psyched up over there because I spent way too much time on the political forums arguing away aimlessly….

Same dude. If I was a dick on the wrestling board I was probably drunk or trolling trolls…. I was already pretty psyched up over there because I spent way too much time on the political forums arguing away aimlessly….
I rarely drink but eventually im gonna pick a night when something controversial with the Hawks is happening and HR is buzzing, tie one on and see what happens. Lol

I rarely drink but eventually im gonna pick a night when something controversial with the Hawks is happening and HR is buzzing, tie one on and see what happens. Lol
HR is under new management… idk if that wrestling board can make it. The guys running the site seem like a bunch of amateurs who got suckered badly……

It’s not hard to get the wrestling forum going.. i’ve done it myself while drunk… lots of idiots over there. Not that you guys don’t have your own on this site, they come out of the shadows when a kid who’s been absolutely nothing but a class act has a moment of mortality….

Last edited:
Are we all now members of the snowflake generation?

Spencer vs Drake
A bit of a bad look? sure
Team leadership at it's best? Nope
The worst we have seen? not by a long shot
Anywhere close to a half dozen ADS antics? no
Worthy of pages and pages of judgemental parabolic analysis, finger pointing & commentary? No
A goat still getting his sea legs mentally and physically after a long layoff? You bet
Time to move on? Please!

Maybe it's just me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT