ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Great Wrestler but question his character

HR is under new management… idk if that wrestling board can make it. The guys running the site seem like a bunch of amateurs who got suckered badly……

It’s not hard to get the wrestling forum going.. i’ve done it myself while drunk… lots of idiots over there. Not that you guys don’t have your own on this site, they come out of the shadows when a kid who’s been absolutely nothing but a class act has a moment of mortality….

Our idiots are generally refugees.

That's kind of the case as is though? The bulk of the top talent is all going to PSU, Iowa and the 2 O States. The second pack (schools IMO like Arizona State, Missouri, NC State, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Nebraska) will collect a Top 10 PFP every now and then and build the rest of their team on some talented kids who might take a few years to be an AA.
Reading your post made me ponder a question. How in the hell did Minnesota just suddenly drop from an annual team title threat to not even a member of the second pack?

Those damn championship t shirts did not cost enough to sink the Gopher ship. Or at least I would not think so.

Reading your post made me ponder a question. How in the hell did Minnesota just suddenly drop from an annual team title threat to not even a member of the second pack?

Those damn championship t shirts did not cost enough to sink the Gopher ship. Or at least I would not think so.
J Rob is a legend. Eggum seems like a nice guy. 🤷

I would agree that it is a big concern, and don’t want it to happen. Just saying someone’s going to start cranking NIL to get an edge… then it’s dominos. I’d put money on Ohio State to kick things off.
Just an opinion, but my guess is tOSU already spent money on NILs (way above the norm) boosting their recruiting. Individual and team titles are still going to be earned in communities not located in central Ohio.
Recruiting and development will keep Cael ahead of the rest. NIL money will provide tOSU opportunities to pursue second best titles. NIL money will be necessary for Iowa to stay even with the Ohio States. However, as long as Cael and Casey are active with Penn State wrestling and the Brands are coaching in IC I do not believe there is anywhere enough near wrestling NIL money to shrink the gap between the two programs.

I'm probably the only person that caught this and found it silly. Early last season when Spencer was still on the mat and Iowa was the favorite to repeat...Spencer, in an interview said he promised the A.D. 2 team titles when he signed with Iowa. Not 3, not 4 but 2 team titles???? Would like to know his thinking on that one. What, did he think, not even the great Spencer Lee can help them get 4? He promised 4 individual titles, was he saying the rest of the team wasn't good enough? It was just strange to me to hear that the kid with all the confidence in the world, teamed up with "his" guys wouldn't promise 4. I'll bet if that story is true, Brands at the time would have thought to himself wtf...2? Not 4? Lol

Will never know but I'd bet ESPN would have played that clip several times at Nationals had Iowa still been favored to repeat. In fact, I think the only reason Spencer even said that in the interview was because it looked like Iowa was going to repeat and the Great Spencer Lee was going to keep his promise. I'd also bet if Iowa looks like they are going to win the title on Saturday night you're going to hear that interview of the great Spencer Lee.
It was clearly because they were overly confident that the NC was in the bag last preseason, so it looked prescient and underscored the “Spencer Lee Effect”. Very similar to OSU amping up the talk right after Nolf got hurt.

Just an opinion, but my guess is tOSU already spent money on NILs (way above the norm) boosting their recruiting. Individual and team titles are still going to be earned in communities not located in central Ohio.
Recruiting and development will keep Cael ahead of the rest. NIL money will provide tOSU opportunities to pursue second best titles. NIL money will be necessary for Iowa to stay even with the Ohio States. However, as long as Cael and Casey are active with Penn State wrestling and the Brands are coaching in IC I do not believe there is anywhere enough near wrestling NIL money to shrink the gap between the two programs.
I’m not expecting that happens while Brands is around…….1 championship season and 1 where we had a good chance of winning if it happened in the past long time.

Coaches like Gable and Sanderson are essentially impossible to replace. That level of success is achievable by a select few people in the country.

Iowa isn't going away and other programs can get better. I think cael coaches 10 more years and probably wins 6-7 more team titles during that span. Iowa will win another title in the next 10 years and so will tOSU imo. It is a race for 2/nd place as ageneral rule these days. I want 1 title for ISU, but I'm not doubling down on the chances.

Iowa isn't going away and other programs can get better. I think cael coaches 10 more years and probably wins 6-7 more team titles during that span. Iowa will win another title in the next 10 years and so will tOSU imo. It is a race for 2/nd place as ageneral rule these days. I want 1 title for ISU, but I'm not doubling down on the chances.
I think you are wrong, but I like your post. PSU will win 9 and ISU will win one. Book it!

Being a great wrestler is one thing but being a great wrestler & great person is another. Who would ever do that to a teammate. I question why so many young dad have their kids look up to him. As a wrestler he is fierce and outstanding but I question his demeanor in Most interviews and antics when he doesn’t seem to get his own way.
I don’t think Rudis enjoyed that outburst and behavior yesterday. He is a business man now too and that was bad for business.
He’s a young guy and seems to be a great kid. And you’re being silly .

If PSU isn't going to win all 10, instead of Iowa or OSU winning anything, I am OK if ISU wins the one or two Cael misses

He’s a young guy and seems to be a great kid. And you’re being silly .
I'd "guess" Spencer never spent much time with teammates off the mat the entire time he was at Iowa. I also feel the move to Iowa was harder on him than people realize. I always thought that if his entire family didn't move to Iowa he goes somewhere closer to home. Or if he did go to Iowa without them, he transfers back like Teske did after a year in State College. There's some "education" behind my opinions here.

I think Spencer is alot like me, he's a "homebody", enjoys being around his family more than friends and acquaintances and at college he never was into the "college life" most boys look forward to when graduating from highschool. Its why you rarely ever saw him in the vids and pics his teammates put out when they were hanging out together off the mat. Probably has a girlfriend now, they chill together and with their families and enjoy just staying out of the spotlight for a change.

As for his antics this past weekend on the mat, I give him a pass. Still think he was more upset with his coach than Ayala but probably never will know no matter how long we debate. If I were to be honest, I think he carried himself a 1000 times better in college than I thought he did when he was in h.s. Hawk fans argued with me but I thought there were times back then he would puff his chest and stand over kids like a boss after beating the hell put them. At Iowa there was little of that if any at all ...aside from the Ayala incident.

One last thing, I'm happy for Spencer that his career is almost over and he can focus on his first true love (freestyle) or just leave the sport and spotlight altogether and build the future he sees himself having. And I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer and his entire family end up back in PA one day. If that happens, I hope you all will join me in praying for our HR brethren and the entire Hawk fanbase..

I'd "guess" Spencer never spent much time with teammates off the mat the entire time he was at Iowa. I also feel the move to Iowa was harder on him than people realize. I always thought that if his entire family didn't move to Iowa he goes somewhere closer to home. Or if he did go to Iowa without them, he transfers back like Teske did after a year in State College. There's some "education" behind my opinions here.

I think Spencer is alot like me, he's a "homebody", enjoys being around his family more than friends and acquaintances and at college he never was into the "college life" most boys look forward to when graduating from highschool. Its why you rarely ever saw him in the vids and pics his teammates put out when they were hanging out together off the mat. Probably has a girlfriend now, they chill together and with their families and enjoy just staying out of the spotlight for a change.

As for his antics this past weekend on the mat, I give him a pass. Still think he was more upset with his coach than Ayala but probably never will know no matter how long we debate. If I were to be honest, I think he carried himself a 1000 times better in college than I thought he did when he was in h.s. Hawk fans argued with me but I thought there were times back then he would puff his chest and stand over kids like a boss after beating the hell put them. At Iowa there was little of that if any at all ...aside from the Ayala incident.

One last thing, I'm happy for Spencer that his career is almost over and he can focus on his first true love (freestyle) or just leave the sport and spotlight altogether and build the future he sees himself having. And I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer and his entire family end up back in PA one day. If that happens, I hope you all will join me in praying for our HR brethren and the entire Hawk fanbase..
You are nothing if not magnanimous. This message board doesn’t deserve you at times.

giphy.gif

It’s the generosity of spirit towards those wretched souls in the Hawkeye fan base. The true Christmas spirit
I think steel had some sort of spiritual awakening. Who is this guy I almost started crying after that read lol. Well spoken and heart felt with plenty of compassion for the hr folks. See I couldn't even slam Iowa there wtf

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel

I give these guys a fair amount of leeway as long as there isn’t overt bad behavior. I think Lee is a good kid.

I think steel had some sort of spiritual awakening. Who is this guy I almost started crying after that read lol. Well spoken and heart felt with plenty of compassion for the hr folks. See I couldn't even slam Iowa there wtf
Think he realizes some Hawk fans recognize idiots on HR too. Years of “cheaters” drove me nuts personally. I thought to myself 🤔 if they’re cheating why don’t we cheat better you winy <insert fun word>

Honestly it was just mind numbing on there at one point and likely heading back there again once Spencer is done.

I give these guys a fair amount of leeway as long as there isn’t overt bad behavior. I think Lee is a good kid.
One other point here. Everyone has their bad days. I don't think there are any PSU posters here who would disagree that DT is one of the best representatives for the sport from any school. And being a Penn State alum just makes him that much more appealing to the PSU fans. So guess what? DT also has some bad days - and that info also comes from some people who know him personally. He's been pretty good about maintaining his composure when he's being recorded, but he can't keep it together 100% of the time. My attitude towards that is so what? Losing your cool once in a while doesn't necessarily define a person's character. Even a life of perfection does not preclude anger. Don't forget how Jesus reacted to the merchants in the temple. Hopefully whatever got stirred up between Lee, Ayala and TnT will get resolved quickly.

One other point here. Everyone has their bad days. I don't think there are any PSU posters here who would disagree that DT is one of the best representatives for the sport from any school. And being a Penn State alum just makes him that much more appealing to the PSU fans. So guess what? DT also has some bad days - and that info also comes from some people who know him personally. He's been pretty good about maintaining his composure when he's being recorded, but he can't keep it together 100% of the time. My attitude towards that is so what? Losing your cool once in a while doesn't necessarily define a person's character. Even a life of perfection does not preclude anger. Don't forget how Jesus reacted to the merchants in the temple. Hopefully whatever got stirred up between Lee, Ayala and TnT will get resolved quickly.
Exactly, few of us live our lives in the public eye.

It’s the generosity of spirit towards those wretched souls in the Hawkeye fan base. The true Christmas spirit
Yeah but many of them are still idiots. Love how they are explaining away Mrs Ayalas original comments and her post to try to correct things. "Retracted, walked back, recanted" as if that's all it takes to make it like this never even happened. Lol. They are so gullible.

And then you have bnicolls telling us how lucky Ayala is to have Spencer in the room to make him better. As if Angie lied that Spencer doesn't train with him. Lol. That dummy probably believes she lied that the two aren't buddies and Drake will one day be best man at Spencer's wedding.

Reactions: Split shot
I have been told for the past 5 years Spencer is coached/handled completely differently than everyone else. He is also dealing with injuries that most wrestlers don't deal with. Special talent with special health concerns leads to special treatment. I personally don't think there is much to see here. Spencer seemed gassed later in matches-Drake has a big tank-many people were talking about Drake giving Spencer all he could handle-Spencer took notice and reminded everyone he is light years ahead of a very tough Drake. Spencer has a big ego, but not as big as mine would be if I had his skills. I'm just glad he is recovered enough to wrestle this years and I get to watch him. I wish he would have sat out of the ISU dual.

Think he realizes some Hawk fans recognize idiots on HR too. Years of “cheaters” drove me nuts personally. I thought to myself 🤔 if they’re cheating why don’t we cheat better you winy <insert fun word>

Honestly it was just mind numbing on there at one point and likely heading back there again once Spencer is done.
Dammit hawk I like you wtf is going on here. Lol. Just kidding you always seem level headed. I like that you disagree with class it's a good model to follow on boards like these. Tha ks for leading by example and I mean that

SIAP but I'm guessing Lee is more upset with the Brands than Ayala and family. There is a video after his semi's with another teammate Jore Volk where he can be seem mouthing "I'm done, I want a MFF" to the Brands. He was also favoring his knee during that match and was gassed in the third. The Brands apparently felt differently though and made him wrestle Ayala. Lee is nowhere near 100% this year. Just go back and watch his first match of the year which was in December and he was gassed after the first period against the Iowa State backup. He struggles to score a point after the first and gave up a TD to boot. Guessing Lee is like "Why the hell am I wrestling a teammate that sees me in the room every day when there is no reason to and I'm not 100%?"

FWIW it seems the Brands have a long history of alienating wresters ie Ramos and Gillman (ironically supposedly b/o Lee) showing little to no loyalty to previous wrestlers. Ayala has several years left BTW and this is Spencer's final year no matter what and he ain't transferring out at this point. I'm sure this is going into the equation for the Brands. They're not dumb...

Last edited:
SIAP but I'm guessing Lee is more upset with the Brands than Ayala and family. There is a video after his semi's with another teammate Jore Volk where he can be seem mouthing "I'm done, I want a MFF" to the Brands. He was also favoring his knee during that match and was gassed in the third. The Brands apparently felt differently though and made him wrestle Ayala. Lee is nowhere near 100% this year. Just go back and watch his first match of the year which was in December and he was gassed after the first period against the Iowa State backup. He struggles to score a point after the first and gave up a TD to boot. Guessing Lee is like "Why the hell am I wrestling a teammate that sees me in the room every day when there is no reason to and I'm not 100%?"

FWIW it seems the Brands have a long history of alienating wresters ie Ramos and Gillman (ironically supposedly b/o Lee) showing little to no loyalty to previous wrestlers. Ayala has several years left BTW and this is Spencer's final year no matter what and he ain't transferring out at this point. I'm sure this is going into the equation for the Brands. They're not dumb...

Maybe a bit simplistic but this is only true if Spencer is a bold faced liar. He claims to wrestle when he wants. He could have not wrestled. Drake wanted to wrestle or win by forfeit. Drake didn't want to concede to Spencer and he took the beating as a result. I can't blame the Brands for not telling Drake he had to forfeit the match. Spencer wanted Drake to just concede and when he wouldn't Spencer kicked his butt and more or less said "this is what you wanted." If Drake's mom doesn't go all wacko on social media it is a non story.

Reactions: Ja1339
Can't believe more people aren't upset that the mom leaked the 'not practice with the team info'? We had a rule that certain things stayed in the room, and this would be one of them. If I was TNT, we would be having a long talk with Mr. and Mrs. Ayala on what they put on social media

Reactions: Ja1339
Can't believe more people aren't upset that the mom leaked the 'not practice with the team info'? We had a rule that certain things stayed in the room, and this would be one of them. If I was TNT, we would be having a long talk with Mr. and Mrs. Ayala on what they put on social media
I agree that the mother should not have gone public with this. However, that said, I would be more concerned if this was a long-term pattern of Spencer’s. Monitoring a slow, measured return from injury is one thing, but if he does not wrestle in the room when healthy and he is supposed to be a leader and the face of the team, then that is a serious concern.

I agree that the mother should not have gone public with this. However, that said, I would be more concerned if this was a long-term pattern of Spencer’s. Monitoring a slow, measured return from injury is one thing, but if he does not wrestle in the room when healthy and he is supposed to be a leader and the face of the team, then that is a serious concern.

Do not disagree at all. But I heard rumors similar to this when he was in HS. I know there was quite the drama when he lost to DeSanto at PIAA. Again, I just disagree with a mom calling it out on social media. Go privately to the coach direct. Don't air dirty laundry on facebook or twitter. Clowns like Mineo fiend for that stuff, lol

We had same rule as well. It also included not making your teammate look like a little bitch when you beat his ass in a tournament. Didn’t have a Spencer Lee type but if we did, not sure if we allow him to decide which rules he would follow or not.

ADVERTISEMENT