ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Great Wrestler but question his character

Do not disagree at all. But I heard rumors similar to this when he was in HS. I know there was quite the drama when he lost to DeSanto at PIAA. Again, I just disagree with a mom calling it out on social media. Go privately to the coach direct. Don't air dirty laundry on facebook or twitter. Clowns like Mineo fiend for that stuff, lol
Hasn't Spencer Lee had 2 torn ACLs/been recovering from double ACL replacement surgery for the entire time Drake Ayala has been enrolled?

I get that it's not great to have Mom posting stuff on social media, but I don't understand how "Spencer doesn't wrestle in the room" is some controversial revelation.

I tend to think of wrestling fans as being more invested in the sport/competition than the drama that surrounds it, but all the recent Spencer Lee hubbub is causing me to question that.

It's amazing how Spencer lee went from America's wrestling darling to public enemy #1 in the space of days.
giphy.gif

Do not disagree at all. But I heard rumors similar to this when he was in HS. I know there was quite the drama when he lost to DeSanto at PIAA. Again, I just disagree with a mom calling it out on social media. Go privately to the coach direct. Don't air dirty laundry on facebook or twitter. Clowns like Mineo fiend for that stuff, lol
What drama was there at PIAA? My favorite memory of that was unfiltered Desanto twitter fingers

Can't believe more people aren't upset that the mom leaked the 'not practice with the team info'? We had a rule that certain things stayed in the room, and this would be one of them. If I was TNT, we would be having a long talk with Mr. and Mrs. Ayala on what they put on social media

Reactions: NittanyChris
What drama was there at PIAA? My favorite memory of that was unfiltered Desanto twitter fingers
Pretty well known the silver medal got thrown, and he was first refusing to get on the medal stand. A lot of yelling backstage (I was there) between him and his coaches. Somewhat understandable for an 18yr old that just took a devastating loss, but not the greatest of looks.

Can't believe more people aren't upset that the mom leaked the 'not practice with the team info'? We had a rule that certain things stayed in the room, and this would be one of them. If I was TNT, we would be having a long talk with Mr. and Mrs. Ayala on what they put on social media
Mr. Ayala or maybe Mrs. Ayala, but one of them most likely would tell TnT to stick it in their ear.

I'm probably the only person that caught this and found it silly. Early last season when Spencer was still on the mat and Iowa was the favorite to repeat...Spencer, in an interview said he promised the A.D. 2 team titles when he signed with Iowa. Not 3, not 4 but 2 team titles???? Would like to know his thinking on that one. What, did he think, not even the great Spencer Lee can help them get 4? He promised 4 individual titles, was he saying the rest of the team wasn't good enough? It was just strange to me to hear that the kid with all the confidence in the world, teamed up with "his" guys wouldn't promise 4. I'll bet if that story is true, Brands at the time would have thought to himself wtf...2? Not 4? Lol

Will never know but I'd bet ESPN would have played that clip several times at Nationals had Iowa still been favored to repeat. In fact, I think the only reason Spencer even said that in the interview was because it looked like Iowa was going to repeat and the Great Spencer Lee was going to keep his promise. I'd also bet if Iowa looks like they are going to win the title on Saturday night you're going to hear that interview of the great Spencer Lee.
I caught that very same thing JTS!

Think about it… the reason he chose TWO is because three or four was impossible by the time that interview was done. That whole interview just seemed forced, to me at least. There was also something Larry said (cant recall exactly what) that just made no sense.

I caught that very same thing JTS!

Think about it… the reason he chose TWO is because three or four was impossible by the time that interview was done. That whole interview just seemed forced, to me at least. There was also something Larry said (cant recall exactly what) that just made no sense.
Lol. Yeah do remember Larry in the interview and you're right, he did say something off. The entire segment made me cringe. I'll have to try find it when I get time.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Unless Mrs Ayala is in the wrestling room, someone from inside (obviously her son) told her this info. She’s not bound to some locker room code Drake is. With that said, she shouldn’t be posting it on social media. My guess is her son has already decided that he’s leaving Iowa and mom doesn’t care much what The Hobbits think.

If anybody broke some sort of team code, I’d say it was the guy who treated his teammate like trash and tried to publicly humiliate him AFTER the whistle blew.

You did notice that he had to make sure to put it out there that it was HIS decision to wrestle didn’t you? Lol
Yeah, that was the part of the interview I wasn't OK with. It made it appear like he was bigger than the team...not a good look in my opinion...and I love Spencer Lee. Would really like to have know what precipitated that entire ordeal...

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Unless Mrs Ayala is in the wrestling room, someone from inside (obviously her son) told her this info. She’s not bound to some locker room code Drake is. With that said, she shouldn’t be posting it on social media. My guess is her son has already decided that he’s leaving Iowa and mom doesn’t care much what The Hobbits think.

If anybody broke some sort of team code, I’d say it was the guy who treated his teammate like trash and tried to publicly humiliate him AFTER the whistle blew.
Sure would be nice to know what caused those two to wrestle in the final. I'm thinking - and like you all, I have no clue - that Spencer didn't want to wrestle and was hoping Drake would bow out so Spencer would win the tourney. And when Drake refused to bow out, SL took it personally and let it fly, with a a couple secs of unnecessary anger at the end. But again, who knows? One thing I try to remember is that all of these kids are just that, kids. So even when they do minor stupid shit regardless of which team they're on I try not to get too excited. Just glad we're finally starting B10 wrestling so we can see some real action...

Sure would be nice to know what caused those two to wrestle in the final. I'm thinking - and like you all, I have no clue - that Spencer didn't want to wrestle and was hoping Drake would bow out so Spencer would win the tourney. And when Drake refused to bow out, SL took it personally and let it fly, with a a couple secs of unnecessary anger at the end. But again, who knows? One thing I try to remember is that all of these kids are just that, kids. So even when they do minor stupid shit regardless of which team they're on I try not to get too excited. Just glad we're finally starting B10 wrestling so we can see some real action...
I don't think of a 24-year old as a kid.

Reactions: Split shot
We had same rule as well. It also included not making your teammate look like a little bitch when you beat his ass in a tournament. Didn’t have a Spencer Lee type but if we did, not sure if we allow him to decide which rules he would follow or not.
We had a rule in high school that if you didn’t practice with the team, you didn’t wrestle Thursday or Saturday nights at the duals.

Until you have real world experiences, you’re a kid while in college, whether 18 or 24, in my book.

Someone else that is 24, and has not lived only the sheltered college life, may not be a kid, though.

I sincerely doubt Drake is leaving Iowa. Those kids (most Iowa high school wrestlers) grow up wanting to be and dreaming of being Hawks and having a negative experience or opinion of a teammate will not be enough to get him to leave.

I'm just getting caught up on this. This thread is a serious overreaction to what happened. Could Spencer have handled it a little better? Sure, but what I saw was just a fierce competitor who thought he should get a little more respect from his teammate and let his emotions get the better of him a little. It happens. Comparing this to DeSanto's antics (including intentionally trying to injure people...) is ridiculous. Ayala's mom was far more out of line than Spencer.

I'm just getting caught up on this. This thread is a serious overreaction to what happened. Could Spencer have handled it a little better? Sure, but what I saw was just a fierce competitor who thought he should get a little more respect from his teammate and let his emotions get the better of him a little. It happens. Comparing this to DeSanto's antics (including intentionally trying to injure people...) is ridiculous. Ayala's mom was far more out of line than Spencer.
I agree the Mom reacted emotionally and could have handled it better. That said, she really has no significant obligation to the team. It’s Spencer who is supposed to be a team leader and his behavior toward a teammate, in that role, was less than one would hope for in a team leader.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I agree the Mom reacted emotionally and could have handled it better. That said, she really has no significant obligation to the team. It’s Spencer who is supposed to be a team leader and his behavior toward a teammate, in that role, was less than one would hope for in a team leader.
"Less than what one would hope for" is basically the same as "let his emotions get the better of him a little", so I agree, he could have handled it a little better, but I don't see it as a big deal at all.

Mr. Ayala or maybe Mrs. Ayala, but one of them most likely would tell TnT to stick it in their ear.
No they wouldn’t and they absolutely did not. If you don’t think a conversation was had that night you’re out of your damn mind.

This thread is insane. Y’all crack me up. I thought Hr was supposed to be the cesspool, the place this forum judged from its high horse. You are obsessed with making fun of Iowa that actually very little wrestling conversations happen.

Reactions: mcpat
I'll preface by saying I think this thing has been blown out of proportion and any questions about Spencer's character based on this are ridiculous. Seems like anyone who chooses, in spite of literally all other options, to spend up to a decade or more of their life being screamed at by Terry Brands is probably a super intense, overly competitive weirdo, and we got to see that. Simple as that.

Having said all that...if Spencer didn't want to wrestle or thought Ayala should forfeit or been told to by coaches or whatever else happened...why didn't Spencer just forfeit? Why does Spencer Lee give a shit about a Soldier Salute title? Let Drake have a meaningless holiday tournament title, move on and keep your mileage/wear & tear down (assuming that is the chief concern).

Reactions: Ski
@mcpat are you going to the Iowa match? I'd love to meet up with you. I enjoy your posts a lot. I'll make a wager with you. If I have a higher KYPSW score for the Wisconsin match, you'll drink a bourbon with me. If you have a higher score, I'll drink a White Claw with you.
Does anyone know if Local Whiskey sells White Claw?
Thanks! Let me get back to you on that. I have a pretty large group going with me to Iowa; 7 people total including Mrs. McPat and the little mcpats. If I can, I’ll try!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT