ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee

I almost never root for anyone to lose because they're kids, they're college athletes (which isn't easy), etc. etc.. I have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing someone shock the wrestling world and deck him at NCAAs too, just because I'm so sick of the ridiculous GOAT talk.

I'm just going to say it: This is maybe the 3rd or 4th (or maybe more) article/interview Spencer has done to remind everyone he picked Iowa over PSU as a PA boy and Terry Brands was why. Good for you, it was what your heart wanted and you followed it but it's pretty obvious at this point he realizes him going there is the biggest win Iowa recorded over PSU essentially the last decade and wants to spike the ball.

I'm just going to say it: This is maybe the 3rd or 4th (or maybe more) article/interview Spencer has done to remind everyone he picked Iowa over PSU as a PA boy and Terry Brands was why. Good for you, it was what your heart wanted and you followed it but it's pretty obvious at this point he realizes him going there is the biggest win Iowa recorded over PSU essentially the last decade and wants to spike the ball.
it's clearly working haha

Ok I’ll say it. He picked Iowa to be the only star on the team is why. He would’ve been just another big fish in the pond at PSU and his ego and his dads are to big for that.

Reactions: Ruby Tues
it's clearly working haha
Nice win for sure. I am jealous he had his career in an Iowa singlet and I'm also glad it's over in 4 days lol. I'm glad we limited the damage as the title count during his time at Iowa is 1-3 (and hopefully 1-4 in a few days but I don't like to jinx things)

I'm also willing to concede you guys got him fair and square (makes perfect sense to want TnT as lightweight coaches, maybe some kids just want Cael and Casey as a coach and we aren't paying them out of a slush fund) and his talent is just God Given and not the result of using PEDs (like every PSU champ)

Nice win for sure. I am jealous he had his career in an Iowa singlet and I'm also glad it's over in 4 days lol. I'm glad we limited the damage as the title count during his time at Iowa is 1-3 (and hopefully 1-4 in a few days but I don't like to jinx things)

I'm also willing to concede you guys got him fair and square (makes perfect sense to want TnT as lightweight coaches, maybe some kids just want Cael and Casey as a coach and we aren't paying them out of a slush fund) and his talent is just God Given and not the result of using PEDs (like every PSU champ)
There are always idiot fans who can’t stand losing so they deflect and make accusations against the team they can rarely beat. This is exactly why I post over here more than GIA. Almost every thread over there turns into shit because too many posters think by referencing Sandusky or PED’s or slush funds that it will somehow diminish the accomplishments of what Penn St has done over the last decade+. To me, it’s a losers mentality and it gets old real fast. Anyway, excited to watch the tourney starting tomorrow. Hoping for the best for the Hawks and good health for everyone.

Spencer doesn’t need PED’s or ACL’s.

Spencer Lee is a great wrestler and a great ambassador for the sport. He is not the goat. He barely makes my top 10. I can think of three former lions that had better careers. (Zain, Nolf, and Bo). There are currently two lions that should surpass Spencer’s achievements in folk style. (Cstar and Brooks) I hope he goes out a four timer but I wouldn’t be upset if he got beat. Kinda like he did in high school.

Nothing against Spencer Lee. But I feel the same way about him I feel about Carter. If you have to talk about yourself or make a big deal out of something regarding you or your decisions then you are compensating. Shut up and let your wrestling do the talking. Bo occasionally got a little overzealous for my liking. I like the Zain, Nolf, Brooks, Dean, type of guys that quietly rip your soul out on the mat. I look at it a little like guys trying to date my daughters. Don't tell me how wonderful you are show me how wonderful you think she is by how you act. Lee is great and I won't bet against him. I won't ever wish an injury on a competitor. Just realize at the end of the day how lucky you are to get to play a game and be grateful for the opportunity to chase a dream.

Makes me all the happier that M2 is starting to eat Strittmatter’s lunch
Not shocking but he still does have the McCort kids (particularly Jax) but they seem more enamored with Ohio State than Iowa at this point. Also, I imagine Bad Karma will continue to grow with Starocci, Matthews and Paniro having a ton of success.

There are always idiot fans who can’t stand losing so they deflect and make accusations against the team they can rarely beat. This is exactly why I post over here more than GIA. Almost every thread over there turns into shit because too many posters think by referencing Sandusky or PED’s or slush funds that it will somehow diminish the accomplishments of what Penn St has done over the last decade+. To me, it’s a losers mentality and it gets old real fast. Anyway, excited to watch the tourney starting tomorrow. Hoping for the best for the Hawks and good health for everyone.
giphy.gif

Spencer is a generational talent and would have been successful at any college even without Terry. Too bad his number 4 will overshadow Yianni's while they are trying to do the same thing. If both achieve it who was better. I think Yianni as he lost fewer times than spencer. Hardly seems like GOAT status.

He will be ESPN's big hype story this year. Every commercial break or when he is about to wrestle, they will be replaying his "no acl's" "excuses are for wusses" interview from the past. I don't hate any wrestlers as this sport is like no other, but the constant barrage of this his story gets up there with B1G and their love affair with the Marinelli's.

I kn
I almost never root for anyone to lose because they're kids, they're college athletes (which isn't easy), etc. etc.. I have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing someone shock the wrestling world and deck him at NCAAs too, just because I'm so sick of the ridiculous GOAT talk.

I know in our time of perpetual adolescence; 24 is a "kid", but he's not a kid.

My position is he was a great wrestler whose opponents were incapacitated by his principal weapons; but this "GOAT" talk IS riduculous. He's not even the GORT (Greatest of Recent Times).

The GOAT remains Carl, until and unless somebody goes four years without a loss, wins multiple Hodges, four conference titles and four NC's.

Do I hope somebody pulls on Owings? Yes of course. He's a Hawk.

Last edited:
Do I hope somebody pulls an Owings? Yes of course. He's a Hawk.
It's kind of funny that you brought that up. I was trading messages yesterday with a friend who was with me at Northwestern when Owings beat Gable in the finals. My friend made a comment that he was wondering if we would see someone pull a Larry Owings on Lee in the NCAA finals in Tulsa, but he really couldn't imagine seeing that happen. I replied that when Gable lost to Owings, nobody imagined seeing that happen either until it happened!

I can’t decide where to rank Spencer all-time. And keep in mind he needs to win it again first. But what do you do with him not winning his first two Big Ten tournaments? And the five losses? Would VJ have been the best PSU wrestler ever had he beaten Lewis in 2019 and won it when Covid canceled 2020? I think even with four NCAA titles, we would have put VJ behind a number of PSU two and three timers.

If he wins it all and ends up second all-time in NCAA tournament points, I’ll be willing to call him the 2nd or 3rd best NCAA tournament wrestler ever, behind Cael and possible behind Dake (whose standing in my rankings have increased dramatically.). But overall all-time? I’m just not ready to put him in the top 3. Maybe with time, I will, like how I’ve come around on Dake.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
the a
It's kind of funny that you brought that up. I was trading messages yesterday with a friend who was with me at Northwestern when Owings beat Gable in the finals. My friend made a comment that he was wondering if we would see someone pull a Larry Owings on Lee in the NCAA finals in Tulsa, but he really couldn't imagine seeing that happen. I replied that when Gable lost to Owings, nobody imagined seeing that happen either until it happened!
Who is the 2023 version of Owings?

I don’t mean to be disagreeable but at what age are they no longer kids? 18 is a kid to me. 22 is a kid to me. But mid-20s? I’m not sure anymore.

There are wrestlers in this tournament that are older than some of the NFL’s top starting QBs. And the media doesn’t treat them like kids.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I don’t mean to be disagreeable but at what age are they no longer kids? 18 is a kid to me. 22 is a kid to me. But mid-20s? I’m not sure anymore.

There are wrestlers in this tournament that are older than some of the NFL’s top starting QBs.
Depends. Is it your own "kid" or someone else's? I'd bet for the majority of parents out there.... there's more than one answer to that question. Lol

There are wrestlers in this tournament that are older than some of the NFL’s top starting QBs. And the media doesn’t treat them like kids.
When they commit crimes or commit to Iowa.

My mother (late 80s) was on the phone with a friend of hers when I hear my mother say "I will send my kid (me 60s) over to help you with that."

Perception defines reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT