ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering

That would certainly explain Fellers’ extreme sensitivity on this topic over twitter the last couple of days...
It isn't a big secret that Fellers spends money to help Iowa wrestling. He is an "all in" type of guy and is very passionate about wrestling and Iowa Hawkeye wrestling in particular. I thinks it is great that Iowa has such a supporter and wish ISU had several like him. I don't follow how the rules are played in this new age of free agency and money deals, but this stuff happens all of the time. The strong relationship between Fellers and Izzy would naturally lead to conversations about what would be next for Real Woods after his Stanford undergrad degree is complete. I highly doubt either Brands brother or Real himself were involved in the early negotiations. There isn't a business that I know of where backroom deals aren't agreed to at least in principle before paper meets ink.

• Sad
Reactions: dunkej01
It isn't a big secret that Fellers spends money to help Iowa wrestling. He is an "all in" type of guy and is very passionate about wrestling and Iowa Hawkeye wrestling in particular. I thinks it is great that Iowa has such a supporter and wish ISU had several like him. I don't follow how the rules are played in this new age of free agency and money deals, but this stuff happens all of the time. The strong relationship between Fellers and Izzy would naturally lead to conversations about what would be next for Real Woods after his Stanford undergrad degree is complete. I highly doubt either Brands brother or Real himself were involved in the early negotiations. There isn't a business that I know of where backroom deals aren't agreed to at least in principle before paper meets ink.
Woods is going to have to learn how to take a shot against good guys in that room now. He played patty cake against Nick.

My industry does backroom preliminary deals all the time. And I'm unaware of businesses where such backroom preliminary deals are done without the knowledge of either participant.

Except government -- happens all the time in Congress.

That's not a flattering comparison.

Shots? There going to teach him how to push opponents and look for stall calls.
Woods mentioned a lot of the current Hawkeyes being there for him to train with. That was interesting as I take it they (DeSanto, joker, etc) will be in the wrestling club

I knew of Adam‘s passion. I wasn’t aware he also had a bankroll to go with it. But yeah, it makes sense. I’m certainly not upset about the transfer. I’m glad for his sake Real had some opportunities. But it does help highlight the fact that the competition “purity” our sport has enjoyed is only skin deep these days.

And yeah, the 50 states, 50 solutions thing is also deeply problematic for those of us that are very fine with the status quo. ;) Thankfully, I don’t think C, C, C (&J) ever are.

This is hilarious.!

Thinking about it though, I don’t know how Real can endorse anything now even if it is on the up and up. As passionate as some wacko wrestling fans are, I can see them using the ol’ cancel culture approach against any business he comes out and promotes. Lol. Yeah…. Fans will be putting the company logo all over Twitter letting everyone know they endorse cheating and all kinds of other shitty accusations against them. Lmao.
If a company pays out nil to an athlete do they have to use the athlete in any way? NIL implies that they will be using the athlete in some way to advertise but couldn't they decide to not use the athlete?

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I hope that real got a large sized "bag". The difference in salary a graduate degree from Stanford v.s. Iowa will not be easy to compensate for. Over a 30 year career with a Stanford MBA for instance, probably 10 - 15 million. I'd say he is not "Real" bright.

Reactions: diggerpup
If a company pays out nil to an athlete do they have to use the athlete in any way? NIL implies that they will be using the athlete in some way to advertise but couldn't they decide to not use the athlete?
Sure -- they could hire the athlete as a "motivational speaker" at the annual company picnic.

Not all that different from politicians being law school "adjunct professors" on the side -- meaning they get paid for a single 1-hr lecture in a semester plus some "consulting."

I hope that real got a large sized "bag". The difference in salary a graduate degree from Stanford v.s. Iowa will not be easy to compensate for. Over a 30 year career with a Stanford MBA for instance, probably 10 - 15 million. I'd say he is not "Real" bright.
This presumes Woods was admitted to Stanford grad school, which none of us know.

This presumes Woods was admitted to Stanford grad school, which none of us know.

I would assume if he definitely wasn't, Cenzo wouldn't be claiming he was poached?

(of course one possibility is he didn't have an answer yet)

Sure -- they could hire the athlete as a "motivational speaker" at the annual company picnic.

Not all that different from politicians being law school "adjunct professors" on the side -- meaning they get paid for a single 1-hr lecture in a semester plus some "consulting."
I mean they don't use the athlete at all. They pay so they "could" use the athlete but just choose to not use them in any capacity. If this activity is allowed than it is straight up a payment for play. Furthermore, it seems there is no way to determine the value of a nil deal. For example, is one tweet out about a product/service worth a 6 figure payout? How about two tweets?

I don't know if this is covered anywhere but without some sort of regulation it just seems wrong.

I mean they don't use the athlete at all. They pay so they "could" use the athlete but just choose to not use them in any capacity. If this activity is allowed than it is straight up a payment for play. Furthermore, it seems there is no way to determine the value of a nil deal. For example, is one tweet out about a product/service worth a 6 figure payout? How about two tweets?

I don't know if this is covered anywhere but without some sort of regulation it just seems wrong.
Perhaps my sarcasm about "motivational speaker" wasn't clear enough.

Reactions: Agoodnap

I think if you start fresh and ignore how you feel things are supposed to work then it’s a lot easier to wrap your head around. Take L’il Johnny Athlete (LJA) and his family. They make choices regarding what’s best for them in many facets of their lives. It just so happens that wrestling happens to be a facet that’s important to them, and to a large number of others, as fans. Those fans place a wide range of value on the impact of a favorable outcome for their favorite teams. Some are willing to part with millions to get a better outcome. Others individually may be willing (or able) to part with far less but in aggregate place a high value on (expected) outcome.

With me so far?

Now in the course of making their college wrestling decision Team LJA values both LJA’s expected success at each school (less certain) and money (more certain). If somebody swoops in and offers them a good chunk of money (why? because it raises their team’s expected success and therefore their happiness), then what is wrong about Team LJA considering all the success/money pairs and having some higher money ones rise in their ranking?

We do this all the time in the rest of our lives. If you remove some ideal of why it should be different in college sports decisions you may reach the same conclusion that it was always a little artificial and overly rigid.

I think if you start fresh and ignore how you feel things are supposed to work then it’s a lot easier to wrap your head around. Take L’il Johnny Athlete (LJA) and his family. They make choices regarding what’s best for them in many facets of their lives. It just so happens that wrestling happens to be a facet that’s important to them, and to a large number of others, as fans. Those fans place a wide range of value on the impact of a favorable outcome for their favorite teams. Some are willing to part with millions to get a better outcome. Others individually may be willing (or able) to part with far less but in aggregate place a high value on (expected) outcome.

With me so far?

Now in the course of making their college wrestling decision Team LJA values both LJA’s expected success at each school (less certain) and money (more certain). If somebody swoops in and offers them a good chunk of money (why? because it raises their team’s expected success and therefore their happiness), then what is wrong about Team LJA considering all the success/money pairs and having some higher money ones rise in their ranking?

We do this all the time in the rest of our lives. If you remove some ideal of why it should be different in college sports decisions you may reach the same conclusion that it was always a little artificial and overly rigid.
Oh, I get it. The whole concept of keeping a level playing field is gone. Yes, backroom deals were always made but at least they had to be hidden, and therefore somewhat limited, or there were consequences.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I think School X would have trouble showing "standing" to sue School Y over a lost recruit.

I think enforcement needs to come from the NCAA. I had assumed from the start of NIL that the NCAA would be quite interested in defining where the line is, yet I'm hearing story after story of what appears to me as overt circumvention by boosters. Maybe the NCAA will jump in to police before long, still, but there are enough examples already that it should be easy to make an example of someone for everyone else's benefit.
But you knew this was coming. It's the bagman out in the open. The SEC has always wanted this, particularly, in football.

Reactions: diggerpup
I disagree. I do believe he improved as a wrestler and as a person. He just had to face a phenom in RBY. Not an easy task.
giphy.gif

I’m Team Chaos with absolutely everything, right now.

Everybody is so damn scared to set boundaries and hold anyone accountable because the public has a pitchfork 24/7, choosing your motivations for you. That ain’t just in collegiate athletics.

If you’re that anti-boundary and that fired up for college athletes to get paid in a skeezie way… you get what you earn. I say “let it all burn”, because nobody keeps their hand off the stove until they find out how hot it is.

I’m Team Chaos with absolutely everything, right now.

Everybody is so damn scared to set boundaries and hold anyone accountable because the public has a pitchfork 24/7, choosing your motivations for you. That ain’t just in collegiate athletics.

If you’re that anti-boundary and that fired up for college athletes to get paid in a skeezie way… you get what you earn. I say “let it all burn”, because nobody keeps their hand off the stove until they find out how hot it is.
Every person and coach I've spoken with in football are beside themselves. I don't know a single person that thought things would get so out of control so fast.

Every person and coach I've spoken with in football are beside themselves. I don't know a single person that thought things would get so out of control so fast.
we did on this board. There was a lot of typing going down about where this would lead.

Maybe it got there faster than some expected, but I think this was foretold on this board

we did on this board. There was a lot of typing going down about where this would lead.

Maybe it got there faster than some expected, but I think this was foretold on this board
I knew this would become a sh&t show after Congress did nothing. To this extent? Parents have no clue what's going on and it's far worse now. Not only are they dealing with coaches and info folks, now they're dealing with boosters and "acquaintances" as well.

I knew this would become a sh&t show after Congress did nothing. To this extent? Parents have no clue what's going on and it's far worse now. Not only are they dealing with coaches and info folks, now they're dealing with boosters and "acquaintances" as well.
It was a mess before, it just wasn't this out in the open.

If these states legalize NIL or a form of it for HS kids, it wont be fit to be around a sports team. Parents will be flat out crazier than ever before. You'll have dealers, missing dads, sick moms, all showing up to get a piece and then blowing up when it doesnt work out on the field.

Who wants to ump or coach or be on sports association boards with this kind of nonsense.

All the folks complaining about HS transfers now, have no idea what is coming if they open this thing to HS.

It was a mess before, it just wasn't this out in the open.

If these states legalize NIL or a form of it for HS kids, it wont be fit to be around a sports team. Parents will be flat out crazier than ever before. You'll have dealers, missing dads, sick moms, all showing up to get a piece and then blowing up when it doesnt work out on the field.

Who wants to ump or coach or be on sports association boards with this kind of nonsense.

All the folks complaining about HS transfers now, have no idea what is coming if they open this thing to HS.
Which is currently being proposed in Ohio and of all places New Jersey.

Real Sportsmoms of New Jersey? Worst reality show ever.

Larry Lee tweeted back, so I guess he thinks it's him.

Couldn't be anyone's father at Rutgers. They don't have any top wrestlers.
Remember when Lar got all steamed at Spyker’s medical opinion on Spencer’s labrum? He said a buddy on this board told him what was being said and he rushed in here.

Good times. He was in high dudgeon (as it were). Small people can be so fiesty

this is honestly genius lol crazy youth sports parents are must see tv

my proposal would be an "elite" travel little league team. youth baseball is insane these days
hey now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT