ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering

giphy.gif

As Willie noted, tampering goes beyond even a liberal interpretation of the NIL - indeed, they are separate discussions. If there are no contact rules re: the portal being broken, then the analysis is pretty simple.

Crazy offseason drama is crazy
It really bothered me listening to John Mark Bentley yesterday on FRL discuss how one of his wrestlers (presumably Jonathan Millner?) was approached by a proxy about transferring while he was at nationals. Bentley is busting his balls to field a winning team with only 5 scholarships, by the way. Just incredibly scummy.

As for Real Woods, he flatly stated on FRL he didn't receive a NIL offer in exchange for his transfer to Iowa (he did say he received a "full-ride" scholarship). I honestly don't know what to make of it. Absent proof to the contrary, I guess I'm inclined to take Real at his word. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if a college booster (say, Fellers) contacted a high school coach frequently seen hanging around the program and other programs like Michigan (say, Izzy) to see if the coach would call a wrestler's parents and convey interest in their son....

It really bothered me listening to John Mark Bentley yesterday on FRL discuss how one of his wrestlers (presumably Jonathan Millner?) was approached by a proxy about transferring while he was at nationals. Bentley is busting his balls to field a winning team with only 5 scholarships, by the way. Just incredibly scummy.

As for Real Woods, he flatly stated on FRL he didn't receive a NIL offer [yet] in exchange for his transfer to Iowa (he did say he received a "full-ride" scholarship). I honestly don't know what to make of it. Absent proof to the contrary, I guess I'm inclined to take Real at his word. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if a college booster (say, Fellers) contacted a high school coach frequently seen hanging around the program and other programs like Michigan (say, Izzy) to see if the coach would call a wrestler's parents and convey interest in their son....
FIFY - you missed the key to the whole exchange.

As for Real Woods, he flatly stated on FRL he didn't receive a NIL offer in exchange for his transfer to Iowa (he did say he received a "full-ride" scholarship). I honestly don't know what to make of it. Absent proof to the contrary, I guess I'm inclined to take Real at his word. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if a college booster (say, Fellers) contacted a high school coach frequently seen hanging around the program and other programs like Michigan (say, Izzy) to see if the coach would call a wrestler's parents and convey interest in their son....
People may not be hearing what's NOT being said;

1) real woods is still in school until may .... he can not receive NIL until he GRADUATES. Until he graduates his move to Iowa is just a post on Twitter. But he is going to Iowa and "someone" has promised him a bag. Bader didn't pry. Bader did t ask about izzy. Bader did a job, not a journalistic inquiry.

2) so real didn't lie.

3) cenzo didn't lie

4) people need to smarten up

5) people are using language to get around the truth because they ARE afraid of the truth in the short term.

Believe Real and flo but cenzo isn't going on basch w his HC popping in to lie.

There is a bag man. There is BS going on.

PSU is on the right side of things.

Others are not.

Braves are on good night, ya filthy animals.

LOL, Fellers trying to justify poaching Griffith because Griffith never bothered to update his status after gaining admission to the Stanford MBA program.

That's crazy... the portal is not for 'others' to use.. coaches and athletes. If he is truly a 'booster' then... oh well

I’m really starting to feel bad for the University of Iowa and their fans.

Lmao. I swear I crack myself up sometimes…

In all seriousness, imagine spending a decade tilting at windmills and soiling your diapers whining about phantom cheating with absolutely zero evidence, only to find out your guys might actually be the ones doing the cheating.

We’re all laughing now, but I still kinda doubt the NCAA is gonna give a rip, and this is just the beginning. . . .
To be clear, I have no idea what happened.

That said, is there a rule saying a parent of a student-athlete can’t reach out to parents of another student-athlete and say anything about how good they would have at their school?

Some folks might not like it, but I find it hard to believe there’s a rule against it and that it hasn’t been happening for an eternity in a zillion college sports.

As an aside, and again - no idea what happened - but how would Mineo even find about such a call?

To be clear, I have no idea what happened.

That said, is there a rule saying a parent of a student-athlete can’t reach out to parents of another student-athlete and say anything about how good they would have at their school?

Some folks might not like it, but I find it hard to believe there’s a rule against it and that it hasn’t been happening for an eternity in a zillion college sports.

As an aside, and again - no idea what happened - but how would Mineo even find about such a call?
Re: your last Q. Probably because the parents weren’t exactly thrilled to hear from “Binder-man”

In all seriousness, imagine spending a decade tilting at windmills and soiling your diapers whining about phantom cheating with absolutely zero evidence, only to find out your guys might actually be the ones doing the cheating.
It’s glorious!

Ya know, I should at least be a little upset about all this I think. For years I had to bust my ass over there to troll them and find ways to get under their skin. But now, any snot nosed little PSU punk can go over there and don’t even have to have once of originality or ingenuity to irritate the f**k out of them. It’s all built in for him!!!

Spoiled bitches…

Re: your last Q. Probably because the parents weren’t exactly thrilled to hear from “Binder-man”
Or maybe the coach heard about it somehow, I guess? I’m having a hard time getting worked up about parents calling parents, especially if they know each other. I dunno. Sorry if I should be.

Reactions: Dont_Just_Dream
Can’t I just have a friend text me after I update his contact info on my device to say it’s any name I wish to assign him, e.g., Larry Lee and get this same sequence?

• Haha
Reactions: PatMineo22
A Fist Full of Hawkeyes said:
“Of all the stupid sh*t that could have and should have been deleted off the cesspool. The one thread that should stay, goes.

I don't get it.

What the hell are the admins doing or thinking? They picked a rather odd time to step in.”

PAHURDLER: “Maybe Larry called their parents.”

Lmao. Now that’s some grade A trolling folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT