ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla ... thoughts on their cars?

PSU_Chicago

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
my wife is looking at a Tesla (X Model) auto for her next car. Expensive but come with federal and state tax credits plus ~ $2k per year annual saving compared to a gas auto. The dealer is telling her than annual maintenance is nominal.

Appreciate any insight from the board!

I think they are great. They are the real life Sizzlers cars I had as a kid. A Tesla is faster off the line than a Corvette ZR1, Ferrari or any other high end model - because it does not lose anything from power plant to drive tires.

I think a lot of people look at the limitations of 300 miles (or whatever it is) incorrectly. I would venture to guess 90% of the driving people do is the same - work, shopping, local driving, short trips. So basically, you are home every night, and can plug the car in to recharge. The price point is no different than a mid to higher level Audi, MB, Porsche, BMW, Jag, etc. etc. And besides, with Starbucks and other places now offering free recharge stations (see them on the NJTPK rest stops), the 300 mile issue should not really be an issue.

Get it - you will really like it. And it's built in California, which at least for now, is part of America.

If they ever build a real life version of my favorite sizzler car, I will sell everything I have for it....

sizzler_NE_08%20001.jpg

The coolest thing about the X is that it will sense you walking up to it (when it is cold out), and will have the passenger cabin at 70 deg by the time you open the door. It only takes a few seconds.

The coolest thing about the X is that it will sense you walking up to it (when it is cold out), and will have the passenger cabin at 70 deg by the time you open the door. It only takes a few seconds.

Nice. I can do that with the Jag with an app from my phone. Although it does not sense me walking to the car, I have to actually start the car and adjust the temps with the app - it's still cool.

my wife is looking at a Tesla (X Model) auto for her next car. Expensive but come with federal and state tax credits plus ~ $2k per year annual saving compared to a gas auto. The dealer is telling her than annual maintenance is nominal.

I think they are expensive toys, so if you like to play seriously; pay some serious bucks and play!

Really fast and comfortable in the front seats. Not a ton of space behind the 2nd row seats, but adequate for normal jaunts to the grocery store etc. 3rd row seats are cramped and are for kids only. Friend put a down payment on one when they were first announced and was one of the first people to take delivery in the Philly area. He loves it, but did have several "gremlins" in it when he first got it.

Friend put a down payment on one when they were first announced and was one of the first people to take delivery in the Philly area. He loves it, but did have several "gremlins" in it when he first got it.

I often wondered what happened to all of those AMC Gremlins....now I know...Elon Musk had them stored away until the right time....
7.jpg

I like them a lot. They are beautifully designed, and as an electrical engineer who dabbles in backup power sources, I am a fan of the technology. I would consider getting one, and although 99% of my driving is short trips, there are times when I'd want to cruise out to see family in western PA, etc that could become problematic if I can't charge up somewhere. Some of my travels out "west" are to fairly remote locales.

Fisker is relaunching, coming out of bankruptcy. Will be interesting to see how that works out. Unfortunately for this area they will also be building their cars in southern California, not at the old GM plant in Delaware as planned before they went belly up.

Reactions: 2atpsu
I like them a lot. They are beautifully designed, and as an electrical engineer who dabbles in backup power sources, I am a fan of the technology. I would consider getting one, and although 99% of my driving is short trips, there are times when I'd want to cruise out to see family in western PA, etc that could become problematic if I can't charge up somewhere. Some of my travels out "west" are to fairly remote locales.

Fisker is relaunching, coming out of bankruptcy. Will be interesting to see how that works out. Unfortunately for this area they will also be building their cars in southern California, not at the old GM plant in Delaware as planned before they went belly up.

The Fisker Karma was one of the most beautiful pieces of rolling art ever conceived....

fisker-karma-hybrid-could-be-resurrected-as-the-2016-elux-karma-92610_1.jpg

Reactions: retsio and BBrown
Nice. I can do that with the Jag with an app from my phone. Although it does not sense me walking to the car, I have to actually start the car and adjust the temps with the app - it's still cool.
Ys, lots of cars can do it from an app, and take minutes to warm up. The Tesla is almost instantaneously heated. You really have to experience it to believe it.

I think all of the rest stops along the PA Turnpike and OH Turnpike now have SuperChargers. Also, many businesses are installing them as well. There is a winery about 2 miles from my house that has chargers for both Tesla and non-Telsa EVs. I think Tesla's website keeps an updated map of where the SuperChargers are located and the vehicles all have navigation with the locations as well. The only way you'll run out of power is if you get stranded for a long period of time (weather or accident) and you ignore the warnings to recharge.

They are adding more charging stations. These stations are no longer lifetime free for purchases after 1/1/17. See what that cost runs. Like Ro said most drives are way less than the charge. For me the run to PSU and back is over the range :-((. Interesting vehicle. Haven't driven one. You can pull up the station locations on line.

There are actually two "Fiskers" re-launching. The old Fisker is now Karma, and the new Fisker is, well Fisker.
It is a really crazy market out there right now - fast and furious - I am lucky to work with all the companies mentioned in this thread and many more.

Really fast and comfortable in the front seats. Not a ton of space behind the 2nd row seats, but adequate for normal jaunts to the grocery store etc. 3rd row seats are cramped and are for kids only. Friend put a down payment on one when they were first announced and was one of the first people to take delivery in the Philly area. He loves it, but did have several "gremlins" in it when he first got it.
I believe they come to your house for most of the fix-it situations.

I often wondered what happened to all of those AMC Gremlins....now I know...Elon Musk had them stored away until the right time....
7.jpg
Hey, easy ro. You're talking about my very first car--a 74 Gemlin with 3 on the floor, no AC, and an AM radio. It was yellow with an orange stripe.

I traded it in a few months after I got my first job on a 1980 Renault LeCar. I believe that no person currently outside of a mental hospital ever owned these two cars in succession.
http://gremlinx.com/randall-401-xr/

I think they are great. They are the real life Sizzlers cars I had as a kid. A Tesla is faster off the line than a Corvette ZR1, Ferrari or any other high end model - because it does not lose anything from power plant to drive tires.

I think a lot of people look at the limitations of 300 miles (or whatever it is) incorrectly. I would venture to guess 90% of the driving people do is the same - work, shopping, local driving, short trips. So basically, you are home every night, and can plug the car in to recharge. The price point is no different than a mid to higher level Audi, MB, Porsche, BMW, Jag, etc. etc. And besides, with Starbucks and other places now offering free recharge stations (see them on the NJTPK rest stops), the 300 mile issue should not really be an issue.

Get it - you will really like it. And it's built in California, which at least for now, is part of America.

If they ever build a real life version of my favorite sizzler car, I will sell everything I have for it....

sizzler_NE_08%20001.jpg

The problem with the 300 mile limitation is not that it is 95% of what you drive, it is what to do about the 5%. You need a second car, uber or a rental. The second is that you will get less than 300 in cold weather.

Also need to consider that saving $2,000/year in gas may or may not translate into real savings once you consider depreciation, maintenance and purchase/lease costs.

If you can live with that, a great car.

I read a recent article in the WSJ about electric cars being the future. The article said when you can get a couple of hundred miles on a charge and the battery costs get below 40% of the cost of the car, they will make big inroads into the auto market. This is supposed to happen within the next ten years.
The major downside is going to be charging, I guess. You have to spend around a couple thousand dollars getting a charger installed in your home. Charging station availability may also be a problem for some time as the numbers of these cars increase and number of stations don't keep pace. There are companies that make charging stations, and I imagine they're going to pop up everywhere in the next few years - - malls, parking garages, businesses. Might be a good investment opportunity I keep telling myself.

Reactions: LionJim
Hey, easy ro. You're talking about my very first car--a 74 Gemlin with 3 on the floor, no AC, and an AM radio. It was yellow with an orange stripe.

I traded it in a few months after I got my first job on a 1980 Renault LeCar. I believe that no person currently outside of a mental hospital ever owned these two cars in succession.

At least you didn't own one of these sweet rides:

AMC-Pacer-blue.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: scbob and bjf1991
I've driven two (not the model X), and I'm blown away by the acceleration and technology. I didn't realize driverless technology is already legal and available. Worked surprisingly well on windy suburban Philly roads. The owner reads his e-mail on Route 95 on regular trips to Fla. The car will back out of a parking space on your command via phone app, while you stand there. There's a suspension height function that will remember, via GPS, where it must rise up in order to avoid a bump. Backup camera on large screen looks like HD. charging time coming down to basically a lunch or dinner interval, and I"m sure it will only get better. This is the future. Internal combustion engines are dead within a few decades. Will seriously consider Model 3 for my next car purchase (I'm not paying $80K & up on any car that doesn't fly and brew beer)

The Fisker Karma was one of the most beautiful pieces of rolling art ever conceived....

fisker-karma-hybrid-could-be-resurrected-as-the-2016-elux-karma-92610_1.jpg

Combine a Porsche butt with Corvette hood and lights. Accent with elongated BMW kidney (mustache?) grill, et voila!

At least you didn't own on these sweet rides:

AMC-Pacer-blue.jpg
It's true. Even from inside my rusty Gremlin, which was rusted so badly that when I was leaning on the fender in 1979 to work on the battery or alternator, my forearm crashed through the top of the fender, causing nasty cuts on my left arm, I looked down my nose at Pacer drivers. "What were they thinking?" I asked myself.

Was your Le Car a hardtop or did it have the fabric sunroof?

zcryhpeu8p12v5pspzdm.png

This is the kind of car I had after college. 1970 Javeline SST Mark Donohue Special. 390 4 spd. Bought it new for $5k, if I recall correctly.

1970%20amc%20javelin%20blue%203.jpg

I often wonder how the electric cars do in the snow. I know the cold weather cuts down on the economy rather hard.

Was your Le Car a hardtop or did it have the fabric sunroof?

zcryhpeu8p12v5pspzdm.png
Sunroof, Baby! I moved to W Texas a year after buying it. No AC. That 1.8 liter mill really burned up the highway. Ended up in the hospital ER after driving to Carlsbad, NM and back to visit the caverns. Had the top down and got a scorcher of a sunburn.

This is the kind of car I had after college. 1970 Javeline SST Mark Donohue Special. 390 4 spd. Bought it new for $5k, if I recall correctly.

1970%20amc%20javelin%20blue%203.jpg

I often wonder how the electric cars do in the snow. I know the cold weather cuts down on the economy rather hard.

OTOH, as I understand it electric cars do better fuel-wise in traffic since ICEs use energy to run an engine when the car is stopped in traffic whereas electric cars just sit there. I don't know if it's all that simple but I do think I have the outcome correct.

Tesla has paid back all of its subsidies... with interest.
The article disputes the payback claim. Somebody is wrong on this.
One way or another, the clock is ticking for Tesla. Now that batteries are getting cheaper and major auto manufacturers are getting involved in EV's, subsidies are going to disappear. Tesla will have to compete with established businesses with development experience, facilites, distribution and sales networks. The only thing Tesla has going for it is that it won't be weighed down by having to shed anything to do with internal combustion engines.

Consumer Reports says stay FAR away from the Model X. Just too unreliable for now (rated 1 out of possible perfect score of 5). If they get their production problems sorted out, it might be worth a look.

I've owned a Model S for a couple of years now. Best car I've ever owned. Haven't had an issue though I do know that early Model S and Model X buyers reported problems. I've driven the X and, if I need the utility it provided, would have purchased that instead. Great vehicle.

Lots of sorta right and very wrong information in this thread. I'll try to provide answers to what I do know.

Savings are real over gas and you should look into deals the power companies have. Maybe your local provider has a deal like I have. I can't charge till 8:00 PM M-F, and get a $.05 per kilowatt discount for doing so. Hasn't been an issue for me yet. Plug in and wake up with a full (90%) battery ready to go.

Superchargers are being deployed daily, but it's still an effort to plan longer trips. All the rest stops along the interstate don't have chargers yet. Breezewood is just being built and there are a few others in PA. PA has been shortshrifted IMHO though the next phase will have a bunch more.

There is a difference in superchargers and business installing a charging station. Superchargers will fill a close to empty battery in about an hour (stop, bathroom, grab something to eat takes up most of this time) while business (hotel, restaurant, etc.) will take twice the time to do a complete charge.

In two years I've supercharged maybe 10 times as most of the charging is done at home at night. I installed a top of the line charging station at home and the total cost was about $1K all in (I live in DC suburbs).

Telsa didn't pay back subsidies - they paid back a government loan early from a program started by GW.

You may also get HOV access if that makes a difference.

Autonomous driving is worth in unto itself in rush hour traffic.

Be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT