ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you opt out players

Why not just shit can the bowl games because the debacle in the Orange bowl after 25 plus Florida State players oped out will shit can the bowls when the fans say , enough

Student athletes have always received more than people seem to realize. I paid for college for both of my kids…that’s a hell of a lot of money. Add in meal plans that athletes get, the free clothing and gear, the stipend they get and so on and they’re getting quite a bit more than most people get from a full time job. The poor athlete that never got a thing has been gone for a long time and none of them are forced to do it. It gets old hearing they were some kind of indentured servant.
But they deserve it. They are actually the product that produces the money. A team with non competitive players would typically be somewhat worthless but not in the day and age with the TV and marketing money. I mean the Mineke Car Care Bowl would give you Toledo vs. Wyoming if they can brand it and the TV will take it if they can sell ads off it.
An upgraded meal plan and athletic gear is the bare minimum the school should be giving a 100 kids who generate 100 million dollars a year for the school. Get that, 100 teammates generate 100 million dollars for the school and all they get is a little better room and some better meal options.

But they deserve it. They are actually the product that produces the money. A team with non competitive players would typically be somewhat worthless but not in the day and age with the TV and marketing money. I mean the Mineke Car Care Bowl would give you Toledo vs. Wyoming if they can brand it and the TV will take it if they can sell ads off it.
An upgraded meal plan and athletic gear is the bare minimum the school should be giving a 100 kids who generate 100 million dollars a year for the school. Get that, 100 teammates generate 100 million dollars for the school and all they get is a little better room and some better meal options.
But they're different teammates every year and the money keeps coming in. It’s not the players that generate the money, it’s the schools. 100,000 people are going to Penn State games every year regardless of who the players are. How much would these guys be generating if they all were wearing Slippery Rock uniforms? If it’s all about them, why don’t they go to D-2 or D-3 schools where they would surely dominate?

Free education. Free tutoring. If they don't like it, they can always quit and try out the job market

Reactions: scrivener
the transfers are ruining the product, it's not a problem that the players are making money. if they had NIL and the old transfer rules, it would probably have a much different feel

But they're different teammates every year and the money keeps coming in. It’s not the players that generate the money, it’s the schools. 100,000 people are going to Penn State games every year regardless of who the players are. How much would these guys be generating if they all were wearing Slippery Rock uniforms? If it’s all about them, why don’t they go to D-2 or D-3 schools where they would surely dominate?
The health of the program definitely matters. Which is.... does it win a lot. You can't win without good players. It's real simple. There is a lot of baked in revenue like Nike contracts, TV deals, conference revenue sharing however the true health of a program is measured by wins and that differentiates the big money makers from the rest of the pack. In such instances the quality of the players on the field truly make the difference between being Pitt making 40 million a year and being Ohio State making 100 million a year. It's a huge difference. You engage more people/fans TV audiences, etc the better you are. Which requires a great team. Which requires the best athletes/players.

What a damned shame. To see a great defense lose it top players to opt outs and then lose our best linebacker. Why let teams play who have lost their top players at the end of the season to expose the fans to an embarrassment. But we will keep supporting Franklin who himself has done nothing great in the portal. Aller development is poor. Sorry, give Beau a chance.

do like I did. Turn it off with 10 mins left and never, ever buy a ticket.

the transfers are ruining the product, it's not a problem that the players are making money. if they had NIL and the old transfer rules, it would probably have a much different feel
The problem with NIL is that it doesn't come from the schools athletic revenues. Which was the initial point....The school is making so much money on these kids and they just get more perks than the average student that is not contributing to the extra revenue cow of athletic sports. So what did they do, they got collectives of donors to pay more money and the schools revenues aren't shared in any way. It came from the donors...Yipee free money.
Take it from the athletic revenues and it would self regulate itself.

The health of the program definitely matters. Which is.... does it win a lot. You can't win without good players. It's real simple. There is a lot of baked in revenue like Nike contracts, TV deals, conference revenue sharing however the true health of a program is measured by wins and that differentiates the big money makers from the rest of the pack. In such instances the quality of the players on the field truly make the difference between being Pitt making 40 million a year and being Ohio State making 100 million a year. It's a huge difference. You engage more people/fans TV audiences, etc the better you are. Which requires a great team. Which requires the best athletes/players.
But we still had a ton of fans and people paying a lot of money in the early 2000’s when we sucked. Pitt won the ACC and still didn’t have anyone showing up for their games or watching them on TV. If it’s true the players don’t get anything out of this deal, then why do they flock to Bama, Georgia, OSU, etc? The schools are the draw, not the players.

If it doesn't matter who the players are then why is this board up in arms this evening about the 4 guys who didn't play today?
It's always about the players. Good programs get the best players which enhances the brand. Let me assure you if Penn State had 5 straight 3 win seasons the revenue and ticket sales wouldn't be on the rise.

The problem with NIL is that it doesn't come from the schools athletic revenues. Which was the initial point....The school is making so much money on these kids and they just get more perks than the average student that is not contributing to the extra revenue cow of athletic sports. So what did they do, they got collectives of donors to pay more money and the schools revenues aren't shared in any way. It came from the donors...Yipee free money.
Take it from the athletic revenues and it would self regulate itself.
could be, but doesn't address the fact that a player can transfer after one season and there is no downside for them to do that. it's like if a pro sports league ran entirely on one year contracts. I don't think paying them NIL is the problem. the problem is the transfer rules

If it doesn't matter who the players are then why is this board up in arms this evening about the 4 guys who didn't play today?
It's always about the players. Good programs get the best players which enhances the brand. Let me assure you if Penn State had 5 straight 3 win seasons the revenue and ticket sales wouldn't be on the rise.
Saquon was the best player we’ve had in years, did people stop showing up and supporting the team when he left?

But we still had a ton of fans and people paying a lot of money in the early 2000’s when we sucked. Pitt won the ACC and still didn’t have anyone showing up for their games or watching them on TV. If it’s true the players don’t get anything out of this deal, then why do they flock to Bama, Georgia, OSU, etc? The schools are the draw, not the players.
But the players make the program. Nobody was flocking to Alabama pre Saban who was the architect of getting great players for his program.

could be, but doesn't address the fact that a player can transfer after one season and there is no downside for them to do that. it's like if a pro sports league ran entirely on one year contracts. I don't think paying them NIL is the problem. the problem is the transfer rules
Georgia hasn't been elite since the 1980's

But the players make the program. Nobody was flocking to Alabama pre Saban who was the architect of getting great players for his program.
They were flocking to Bama for years, they had some down years but the fans still bought tickets and showed up. Why is that? Because the fans support Alabama.

The meaning of winning the Ohio State and Michigan game is on such a different level from winning a second level bowl that I can't believe you'd try to equate that. If Penn State wins one or both of those games they may win the conference, possibly make the playoff and have an opportunity to win a national championship.
What do they get if they win the Peach Bowl? A backpack and an XBox?

They got those for showing up, or not showing up in Olu’s case.

psu sold out games to see a 3-9 team 20 years ago. we are the chicago cubs of college football
It was the weakest years of the PSU brand in history. The PSU brand has proven to withstand many a test. However, it's always strongest when it's performing well.

It was the weakest years of the PSU brand in history. The PSU brand has proven to withstand many a test. However, it's always strongest when it's performing well.
seems like psu's brand has had a lot of weakest years since 2000. It's 2023 and it still draws, so I think psu would be one of the very last surviving programs if college football does get so bad that conferences start contracting

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Saw this in real time and was going to wait until I clipped it and could say this. But, here it is, so I&#39;ll say it. Want players not to opt out of games? Ban crap like this. This is way more intent to injure than some of the his we see players ejected for. <a href="https://t.co/kKn4hiU2fG">https://t.co/kKn4hiU2fG</a></p>&mdash; Donnie Collins (@PennStateTT) <a href="">December 31, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So I just looked it up....
The 2013 Belton year generated 58 million in revenue
The 2017 Barkley year generated 100 million in revenue.
That's significant.
That buys a new locker room and gets assistant coaches better salaries which lures better players which makes the program stronger and better which makes it more money and enhances it's stature
Players are the difference. See the game today. I think we found out what Kalen King and Johnny Dixon did for this defense.
It starts and ends with players.
They make the difference.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Saw this in real time and was going to wait until I clipped it and could say this. But, here it is, so I&#39;ll say it. Want players not to opt out of games? Ban crap like this. This is way more intent to injure than some of the his we see players ejected for. <a href="https://t.co/kKn4hiU2fG">https://t.co/kKn4hiU2fG</a></p>&mdash; Donnie Collins (@PennStateTT) <a href=" ">December 31, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
That is an illegal act by the lineman and should have been flagged. I commented somewhere else that, that is a dirty move and could seriously injure someone. Steve Jones commented on it. But the announcers covered it up.

Older fans show up regardless--that's not going to change
Younger fans--winning and players are needed.

That is an illegal act by the lineman and should have been flagged. I commented somewhere else that, that is a dirty move and could seriously injure someone. Steve Jones commented on it. But the announcers covered it up.
What rule do you believe makes that an illegal block?
I'm fine with saying it was dirty (Air Force is literally dirty on every play then) but the block is legal.

That's significant.
That buys a new locker room and gets assistant coaches better salaries which lures better players which makes the program stronger and better which makes it more money and enhances it's stature
Players are the difference. See the game today. I think we found out what Kalen King and Johnny Dixon did for this defense.
It starts and ends with players.
They make the difference.
Coaching matters in a big way, especially in college. You can see clearly the annual list of Top 10 recruiting rankings, and which teams consistently bring in top flight classes, who then struggle to meet or come anywhere close to expectations. You need a first rate coaching staff. With the exception of Manny and possibly Terry Smith, I think every single coach on the staff is expendable. None truly have been first-rate, elite quality. In college, at least IMO, it is easier to fail with great players than it is to win...great coaches many times tip the scales.

I ask again…what about it was illegal?

Coaching matters in a big way, especially in college. You can see clearly the annual list of Top 10 recruiting rankings, and which teams consistently bring in top flight classes, who then struggle to meet or come anywhere close to expectations. You need a first rate coaching staff. With the exception of Manny and possibly Terry Smith, I think every single coach on the staff is expendable. None truly have been first-rate, elite quality. In college, at least IMO, it is easier to fail with great players than it is to win...great coaches many times tip the scales.
The players still ultimately dictate success. The best coaches get the best players. There is definitely synergy there. However, even the greatest coaches can't make average players great. Great players can win without great coaching.
Georgia got great more because Kirby recruits studs.
I remember how down people were on Fran Ganters offensive coordinator capabilities until Fran had Collins, Carter, Engram, Brady and a mauler offensive line. He instantly became an offensive genius.
Ultimately it boils down to the players. Always. Coaches tip the scales when equally talented teams are playing each other.

I remember how down people were on Fran Ganters offensive coordinator capabilities until Fran had Collins, Carter, Engram, Brady and a mauler offensive line. He instantly became an offensive genius
Ganter earned a lot of respect for having that season but literally nobody ever thought he was an offensive genius

The players still ultimately dictate success. The best coaches get the best players. There is definitely synergy there. However, even the greatest coaches can't make average players great. Great players can win without great coaching.
Georgia got great more because Kirby recruits studs.
I remember how down people were on Fran Ganters offensive coordinator capabilities until Fran had Collins, Carter, Engram, Brady and a mauler offensive line. He instantly became an offensive genius.
Ultimately it boils down to the players. Always. Coaches tip the scales when equally talented teams are playing each other.
Yep, and JF doesn't tip the scales in his favor. OSU's classes are typically over inflated b/c they recruit WR's better than anyone in history, seemingly. But, there have been years where PSU has had better positions in specific matchups, and hasn't been close.

Also, our recruiting numbers (as someone researched this) with Michigan are like decimals close over several years...let's call it a draw. Yet, JF is BY FAR doing the worst job of maximizing big time NFL talent on his team. He doesn't deserve a pass. The numbers vs ranked teams and just overall optics as to how the team plays, looks, and prepares, is horrid at best.

Only a moron would complain about Olu, Chop and Kalen not playing. It's a tremendously dumb take that lacks any type of understanding of what the game is and what it means to a player. There is no possible way any of those guys should be playing in this game. The team has 100 players, use them get them experience for the next season top be in the top 12 at the end of the season.
If Johnny Dixon plays and gets rolled up on like Abdul Carter did he might not be able to run a great time at the combine, which may cost him significant money come draft day.
Hasn't college always been about preparing the student for the best opportunity post college?
Bull. Then want to opt out? Then stay home! Soon they will be opting out Halloween? Or pull a Micah and opt out all year?! They are highly compensated and have insurance.

Reactions: scrivener
Bull. Then want to opt out? Then stay home! Soon they will be opting out Halloween? Or pull a Micah and opt out all year?! They are highly compensated and have insurance.
Hasn't college always been about preparing the student for the best opportunity post college?

Also, our recruiting numbers (as someone researched this) with Michigan are like decimals close over several years...let's call it a draw. Yet, JF is BY FAR doing the worst job of maximizing big time NFL talent on his team. He doesn't deserve a pass. The numbers vs ranked teams and just overall optics as to how the team plays, looks, and prepares, is horrid at best.
the recruiting rankings are a junk science and a bit of a scam. a big recruit commits to psu and he is a 4 star. same player commits to osu or georgia and suddenly they are a 5 star

They owe the fans playing in a bowl game? Come on.
You all have to stop. If someone opts out of a regular season game or playoff attack all you want but a freaking bowl game--let it go
By your approach, kids will opt out at Halloween. They are highly compensated and have access to insurance paid by school.

Sport is dying.

the recruiting rankings are a junk science and a bit of a scam. a big recruit commits to psu and he is a 4 star. same player commits to osu or georgia and suddenly they are a 5 star
Not really. Best recruiting-‘rated schools win every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT