ADVERTISEMENT

The talking-heads keep saying it's unprecedented not to take an undefeated P5 Conf Champ... It's way worse than that.....

I spoke with him right after I outed you for irrational post of the month. You address your foolish argument and I will supply a link... Lol 😆 what a wussy, divergent response.
Oh. I’m sorry. I was hoping he actually spoke out about it. Would be a good thing if he did.

How was I being irrational with that question? I look forward to your response

Oh and what argument was I making that you made up in your head?

If the committee’s justification for not including Florida State in the top four is about “ quarterbacks”, then give the Heisman to Travis immediately. If that dude is that important to his team to keep them out because he’s hurt, then he deserves it.
Who says Washington is in if Penix is out?

The committee did a stellar job! We get to see the greatest program and the greatest coach in CFB history participating in the playoff attempt to continue their dynasty. Exciting times.

OK. You have an opinion and you are entitled to it. You think that final record should be the most important criteria for selection. Great. Thus, you think the final 4 should have been Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Liberty. All undefeated and all conference champs. Other people have other criteria that they prefer. My opinion is that the final 4 should have been Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State because I think those 4 schools have the most talent and are most capable of playing at the highest level. I am entitled to my opinion just like you are. There is no right and wrong answer.

You keep posting the same words over and over like you are expounding truth and every other opinion is a lie. Picking the final 4 is like picking the winner of the Miss America competition. Totally based on personal preference and subjective opinion.
That didn't work out so good last year for Michigan or TCU. That criteria didn't work out so well for the juggernaut Miami Hurricanes in 86. Penn State has been on the receiving end of some of those biases, costing us a number of opportunities to play for national championships. , or worse yet getting voted out without the opportunity to compete for it.

The committee did a stellar job! We get to see the greatest program and the greatest coach in CFB history participating in the playoff attempt to continue their dynasty. Exciting times.
Joe Paterno is coaching in this year's CFB playoff! Big surprise to me.

Reactions: wslee1
My opinion is that the final 4 should have been Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State because I think those 4 schools have the most talent and are most capable of playing at the highest level.
Why even play the games then? People thought Oregon had more talent and was more capable than Washington....maybe that's still the case! Was Oregon robbed, according to your selection metric?

You think the "whole process" is suspect. Do you think that Alabama and Texas paid off committee members to seed them in the final 4? Maybe pretty coeds from Alabama and Texas visited committee members in their hotel rooms? What are you suggesting?
I think they went against the established precedents of the Committee to make a choice that didn’t reflect the criteria that has always been used. I’m saying it’s suspect in the fact that you can’t reliably trust that they are being fair over the years.

They chose who they felt made the better matchup for TV instead of the team that earned it based on performance on the field.

Reactions: johnmpsu
I think they went against the established precedents of the Committee to make a choice that didn’t reflect the criteria that has always been used. I’m saying it’s suspect in the fact that you can’t reliably trust that they are being fair over the years.
Keep in mind that it's a different committee every year. Maybe the individuals on one year's committee based things more on record, while this committee gave more weight to SOS and/or the injury. If it was simply about looking at record, or looking at record for P5 schools, then there is no need for a committee.

It's all trying to make a difficult decision while subjectively trying to identify the 4 teams that most meet the criteria that the committee is working under.

406738659_733926022111758_8019279547905021519_n.jpg

Reactions: hoflane and jimarnp
Also for the conspiracy minded…. As we know, ESPN controls the CFP bowls. Starting in 2024, they take over all the media rights for… the SEC. As much as they’ve been in bed with that conference they are now even more all in with them. And I’m sure they didn’t want to start off that monster new TV deal without having a playoff participant from there (yes, Texas is joining them next year but not quite the same).

This decision was made by who the committee had the best chance to stop Michigan. The real albatross here is Michigan everyone knows that they cheated and shouldn’t be here but they are afraid to do the right thing so as usual they are using two wrongs to create a right

This decision was made by who the committee had the best chance to stop Michigan. The real albatross here is Michigan everyone knows that they cheated and shouldn’t be here but they are afraid to do the right thing so as usual they are using two wrongs to create a right
I have wondered about that too but I would have just put Texas #4 and FSU #3.

I have wondered about that too but I would have just put Texas #4 and FSU #3.
Because Bama has a better chance than Texas to beat them
Giving Saban a month to prepare is basically a death sentence. He's won 6 straight semis. Hasn't lost one since 2014.

It’s completely arbitrary because fewest losses has consistently been the first and most important criteria in all the previous years. Ignoring that now makes the whole process suspect
The process is more than suspect. It is 100% flawed. The moment the decision was made to have people decide who they “think” is best was the moment that integrity and credibility of the process and result ceased to exist.

When was "fewest losses" ever listed in the criteria?
It doesn't list anything to determine how they group teams. People keep saying "fewest losses" because Ohio State got in over us (correctly), Washington got in over us (incorrectly), and because that's what they thought mattered but that was never stated.
In 2016, we should have been in--the committee made a mistake
Last year, Bama should have been in--the committee made a mistake
The only possible way to forgive that is both had 2 losses
But this year Bama and Texas had a single loss. The people defending FSU can still only point to 13-0 (like Liberty) because no other metric favors them.
Not all P5 conferences are the same. The Big Ten and SEC should always get in over the others. Every single time. That's why a 12 team is going to be great. 5-7 of the at large bids will go to the SEC/Big Ten. As they should.

My opinion is that the final 4 should have been Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State because I think those 4 schools have the most talent and are most capable of playing at the highest level.
Where do you draw the line? You could make that statement in September. Why not just award titles based on the highest blue chip ratio and skip the games entirely?

My problem lies with the arbitrary nature of it. Prior to this selection, the Committee maybe made questionable or subpar choices but they were always consistent. They always valued fewest losses. And winning a CCG. And head up head and common opponents came into play when appropriate.

This decision threw that all out the window. And nothing destroys faith in a product like being arbitrary and looking like favoritism. It’s just a terrible move for the CFP as it tries to build faith in their product and makes it look like they are beholden to specific teams or leagues over accomplishments on the field. Just awful.
This is THE issue. The committee changes their thought process at will. They even do it in a single week's rankings, applying the same criteria differently to multiple teams. The committee talking head constantly contradict themselves week to week when explaining their rationale, or they simply dance around those questions and don't answer them. There's no accountability for the CFP either which is a separate problem, their rationale by every member should be transparent and publicly available just like AP votes are.

Teams have no ability to know what is needed to qualify for the playoffs, so it's impossible for them to craft their schedules appropriately. The only sure thing is to be a P5 team, play 3 brutal non conference games, and win them all. One week the committee favors win percentage, so teams drop harder games to boost that. Then a team with a higher win percentage gets left behind because of schedule strength. This time it's an injury. What's next is teams are going to publicly lie about injuries so the committee doesn't punish them.

It is a completely ridiculous model and was flawed from day one because there are five power conferences are four playoff spots. They knew this could happen and chose that model anyway. The simple solution is auto bids for each conference champion and a single elimination playoff from there, but they'll never do it.

Reactions: johnmpsu
OK. Let's be precise. The playoff team decision is all about money. TV ratings rule the roost. The TV ratings for Michigan - Alabama will be higher than the ratings for Michigan - Liberty or Michigan - FSU. That is the precise reason why teams with perceived better players and perceived better chances to play football at a very high level are chosen. If Michigan played Liberty the game would probably be over in the first quarter, viewers would tune out, and ratings would be low. This means less money for the NCAA and money is what the playoffs are all about.
The opposite is also true. If a G5 team is competing and pulling an upset viewers will tune in to watch how it ends up.

The bottom line is they did not lose on the field period. What would you people say if this was Psu? I’m sure there would be a different opinion
People here would be losing their minds if PSU got snubbed like FSU did. Like worst meltdown in the history of the message board level of losing their minds.

Ohio State got in over us (correctly), Washington got in over us (incorrectly), and because that's what they thought mattered but that was never stated.
IIRC it was stated explicitly. I believe the CFP at the time said that when teams have the same records they look at factors like conference championships, strength of schedule, etc. in order to differentiate them. But in PSU - UW's case they didn't have the same records, e.g., UW had fewer losses and therefore they didn't use SOS to differentiate them vs. PSU.

Reactions: doctornick
People here would be losing their minds if PSU got snubbed like FSU did. Like worst meltdown in the history of the message board level of losing their minds.
because PSU undefeated means we beat OSU and UM so no chance we get left out even with a second or third string QB playing

because PSU undefeated means we beat OSU and UM so no chance we get left out even with a second or third string QB playing

For FSU to be undefeated, it meant they had to beat Clemson, Florida and LSU so….

IIRC it was stated explicitly. I believe the CFP at the time said that when teams have the same records they look at factors like conference championships, strength of schedule, etc. in order to differentiate them. But in PSU - UW's case they didn't have the same records, e.g., UW had fewer losses and therefore they didn't use SOS to differentiate them vs. PSU.
I don't believe it was ever said "same records"--because they didn't compare Ohio State to us or Washington that year.

We'd be losing our minds if FSU got in over us if we were in Bama's shoes as well.

Where do you draw the line? You could make that statement in September. Why not just award titles based on the highest blue chip ratio and skip the games entirely?
You can't evaluate their talent level or their capability to play at a high level without closely watching every game they play all year. The final 4 is picked based on how they played in every game.

Reactions: dailybuck777
.......it is UNPRECEDENTED to take any P5 team with MORE LOSSES over a P5 team that had LESS LOSSES, let alone taking TWO P5 teams with MORE LOSSES over a P5 team that had LESS LOSSES than either team.

In this article:

Inside the College Football Playoff committee's decision to leave out Florida State

This is excerpted directly from article:

This is utter bullshit and spin - and flies directly in the face of the "Selection Criteria" published by the CFP themselves - they published the "Selection Criteria" to justify controversial screwjob decisions they made in the early days of the CFP 4-Team Invitational including taking duhO$U despite having no Conference Title and having lost on the field of play to the team they were taken over that did have a Conference Title. The hypocritical and ever spinning (read: lying) CFP immediately justified their decision by stating that duhO$U was selected solely on the fact they had less loses and that things such as Conference Titles and Head-to-Head results were secondary criteria AFTER number of losses. They than published this "Selection Criteria" and said it was the criteria used for selecting teams. This is evidenced by the fact that a P5 team with MORE LOSES than another P5 team has never been selected over the P5 team with LESS LOSES - NEVER! Until this year when TWO P5 teams with MORE LOSSES were selected over a P5 team with LESS LOSES..... and then to explain this utterly UNPRECEDENTED move that diametrically contradicts the CFP's own published and stated "Selection Criteria" (and the prioritization of that Criteria), this CFP Committee Member makes a statement that is an utter lie by saying the "Selection Criteria" is simply "What we believe to be the 4 best teams" - nowhere in the published CFP "Selection Criteria" does it say anything even remotely like that - NOWHERE. The published "Selection Criteria" say nothing about Committee Member's prioritizing what they subjectively believe to be the "4 best teams"; rather, it lists specific "Selection Criteria" - most of which are objective and lists the priority of those criteria.

You have a CFP Selection Committee Member stating publicly that he ignored the CFP's published "Selection Criteria" in favor of his own made-up, make-it-up as we go along bullshit "criteria" and these are the people who are going to run the 12-Team Structure??? CFP is ridiculous that they allow biased unprofessional scumbags and hacks to run their sport including the Post-Season Championship - just blackeye after blackeye for the sport with these scumbag hacks (first it was that we didn't even need a Playoff at all to determine a Champion - becaise we had them and they were capable of doing that themselves based on their legendary respect for their own opinion - as in who "they believed was the best team"... notice how that arrogant hubris is still embedded in the Committee Member's statement?), but they just keep jugging right along.... Just disgusting.
Bottom line: the Selection Committee is responsible for picking the four BEST football teams to compete for the ultimate title. When you say four BEST teams, there are no other qualifiers. That this team or that team checked off this box or that box is irrelevant. Which four teams are the BEST four teams in college football on December 3rd.

In my opinion, if FSU is matched up with any of the four that were picked, FSU would get smacked down by each of them. Period. Take every team in college football, one by one, and ask yourself one question: is that team more likely to beat any of the four teams picked or more likely to not beat them? If you answer is more likely to not beat any of the four, then you have your answer as to whether that team is one of the four best teams in college football. And the VAST majority of those that make their living giving odds to football games have FSU as an underdog to all four of the teams selected.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Bottom line: the Selection Committee is responsible for picking the four BEST football teams to compete for the ultimate title. When you say four BEST teams, there are no other qualifiers. That this team or that team checked off this box or that box is irrelevant. Which four teams are the BEST four teams in college football on December 3rd.

In my opinion, if FSU is matched up with any of the four that were picked, FSU would get smacked down by each of them. Period. Take every team in college football, one by one, and ask yourself one question: is that team more likely to beat any of the four teams picked or more likely to not beat them? If you answer is more likely to not beat any of the four, then you have your answer as to whether that team is one of the four best teams in college football. And the VAST majority of those that make their living giving odds to football games have FSU as an underdog to all four of the teams selected.
Trying to predict game results is a fool's errand. If only there were a way to actually determine if FSU is capable of beating those teams...

Trying to predict game results is a fool's errand. If only there were a way to actually determine if FSU is capable of beating those teams...
If only there were a way to actually determine if Liberty is capable of beating those teams...
If only there were a way to actually determine if Ohio State is capable of beating those teams...
If only there were a way to actually determine if Georgia is capable of beating FSU... Oh, wait!

Here's a little twister.

FSU beat Florida 24 - 13
Georgia beat Florida 43 - 20
Alabama beat Georgia

FSU gets to play Georgia. Georgia is a 14 pt favorite.

We'll see whether FSU can compete.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT