ADVERTISEMENT

This year and next year

Some of the 4th and 5th year (in 2018) players that you refer to will not be on the team, as that is how a team with about 15 or 16 scholarship players playing in their last year of eligibility can recruit a full class of 25 players.

• The OL loses Mahon but returns everybody else. Wright, Gonzalez, McGovern, Bates, Menet, and Thorpe have the potential for big improvement but they're going to have to prove it.
Wright may or may not be back, but he has had 4 years to improve and at this point is at best an average OT. I believe the improvement will be from Gonzalez, McGovern, Bates, Menet, Gellerstadt, Miranda, and Thorpe, with the outside chance that a player such as Holme might surprise as well.
  • McSorley should be back and Sanders/Robinson can fill in for Barkley. I don't expect much of a drop off.
Agree on Sanders and Robinson. And Brown should not be forgotten. Slade may be too good to redshirt.
  • Gesicki graduates. Can Holland or Bowers play? Can they block?
Also Dalton. And could Freiermuth and/or Kuntz play as true freshmen. Hillary could block better than Gesicki. so the run game will improve next year with any TE that even makes contact with his assignment on a regular basis. I believe Kuntz is enrolling early.
  • WR loses Blacknall & Hamilton. Hamilton will be tough to replace but we should be OK with Johnson, Charles, Polk, & Thompkins.
The great thing about this year with Hamilton was that he had loads of experience as well as confidence. So he pretty much stepped in from the word go as a replacement for Godwin as the go to guy. Johnson should be that guy next year. And there is plenty of talent that will compete to play WR (3 redshirt FR and Shorter) along with the improvement that Johson, Charles, Polk & Thompkins make in the off season.
  • DE should see the most improvement with Brown, Buchholz, Miller, Toney, & Simmons.
Who knows if Brown will be back. If Buchholz is healthy, along with a bigger Miller we have two solid starters. And I believe Gross-Matos will push to start, with Toney and Simmons and Joseph all improving to provide better depth and better run defense than what we have seen lately. To me Gross-Matos is already better than Simmons and Toney and GM will make the biggest improvement as this will be his first off season in the S&C program as well as within Spring practices. A true freshman like Smith could come in and contribute just like GM did this year.
  • DT will be a drop off after losing Cothran, Cothren, & Chavis. Givens, Windsor, & Jordan will have to improve.
Great to see Shelton and Jordan get playing time this past week. They will be needed when the top 3 move on... Shelton looks petty big and Hansard and Bolds will also have a chance to earn playing time. Givens will be the leader at DT, with Windsor, and possibly Buchholz if the DE's mature and he can move....
  • LB is a problem with Cabinda & Smith gone. Parsons? To late to move Toney?
Cabinda will be hard to replace, but that's the nature of college football. If Bowen comes back and moves to MLB we could field a comparable starting group, in Bowen, Farmer and Brown. How will Miller develop, and what about the 3 redshirt LB's? Unknowns to us, but not to CJF and Pry. If Toney was moving it would have been done, but who knows.
  • CB should be fine. Lose Campbell & Haley but gain Reid and have Oruwariye, Wade, and Castro-Fields.
I believe CJF said that Oruwariye is coming back and that is great news, as he is our most aggressive CB to the ball in the air. Nice 4 with Reid, Wade and CF. McPherson also got PT this year, although he looks like the least physical of the top 5. And 2 CB's that redshirted this year, Johnson and Brown, will compete for PT as well.
  • S might have trouble replacing Allen & Apke. Scott, Taylor, & Monroe are unproven.
All players are unproven until they actually start, but Scott and Monroe have gotten some PT and have proven to be ball hawks on special teams. That's how Safety's develop. And with Taylor and Sutherland also in the mix for PT, will there be a need to move a CB to Safety? Maybe not. Maybe 2018 is the year a true Safety plays some on special teams, Humphries or Young. Allen's run support will be missed, especially because the LB injuries and lack of size at DE this year make our run defense dependent upon him....
  • K is a mystery with Davis graduating. Pinegar?

Don't forget Barbir. And could the kicker out with the eating disorder reappear?

your point re who returns is valid. there are a large number of players being called JR, who are actually seniors with a 5th year available if PSU and they want to stay. some may try the Sickels route = graduate as true seniors and leave their 5th year for NFL try. Brown might be the next DE to do that. we also could have some JR players who are eligible for the draft that may try and take it. i could see Johnson and Bates trying this route.

big factor in 2018 will be whether McSorley decides to return for 5th year. he is a graduating senior this year, and could move on and try NFL. many debate his ability on this, but he may try. That leaves Tommy Stevens. IF Trace decides to take 5th year, and Tommy graduates this year, he might do a grad transfer leaving 2019 QB unknown.

if you look at this roster, over 60% are eligible for the NFL draft, with a good number graduating so they could move on to something else. the team could look quite a bit different next year.

You can’t be serious? McSorley leave early for NFL? No wayyy...we don’t have anyone leaving early everyone remembers Sickels leaving and couldn’t even get drafted.

I guess the Toney at MLB ship has sailed. Too bad since they have Buchholz, Brown, Miller, Simmons, and Gross-Matos all with experience.

Givens won't be able to play DE next year. We'll need him dedicated to DT with 3 kids graduating.

What makes you think Toney would be a better LB than the 3 Four Star linebackers that are red shirting this year?

Most of us predicted 10-2 this year so why such disappointment?
  • Many were concerned about DE & LB and those concerns proved legit. Injuries to Brown & Buchholz made matters worse.
  • Many were concerned about LB which also proved legit.
  • Most expected the DTs to be a big strength. They've been OK but not as good as expected.
  • Most expected the OL to be improved and for Barkley to rush for 1,800 yards. This is obviously the biggest disappointment. Part of the problem might be he scheme.
  • Two coaching concerns (for me anyway). At OSU we went conservative with a 15 pt lead and it cost us the game. Also, we had a very creative offensive game plan vs. UM then mysteriously went back to a traditional offense after that.
It will be difficult to be too disappointed if we win out and also win a bowl game. But what could have been.

So what should we expect next year?
  • The OL loses Mahon but returns everybody else. Wright, Gonzalez, McGovern, Bates, Menet, and Thorpe have the potential for big improvement but they're going to have to prove it.
  • McSorley should be back and Sanders/Robinson can fill in for Barkley. I don't expect much of a drop off.
  • WR loses Blacknall & Hamilton. Hamilton will be tough to replace but we should be OK with Johnson, Charles, Polk, & Thompkins.
  • DE should see the most improvement with Brown, Buchholz, Miller, Toney, & Simmons.
  • DT will be a drop off after losing Cothran, Cothren, & Chavis. Givens, Windsor, & Jordan will have to improve.
  • CB should be fine. Lose Campbell & Haley but gain Reid and have Oruwariye, Wade, and Castro-Fields.
  • S might have trouble replacing Allen & Apke. Scott, Taylor, & Monroe are unproven.
The offense should be nearly as potent if we can get a TE that can block and catch an occasional pass. The defense could take a step back with weakness at DT, LB, and S. We also need a kicker.

PS should certainly be 4-0 with wins over App State, Pitt, Kent St, and at Illinois. Then OSU & MSU back to back but at home. I'll say 5-1. @ Indiana is no guarantee then Iowa at home. Let's say 7-1. Then @ Michigan followed by Wisconsin on the road. Could easily fall to 7-3. Finish @ Rutgers and vs. Maryland. Sounds like 9-3. Could be better if we find a MLB, TE, S, and K.

PSU wins at least 10 next year. OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin are the only teams with a chance to
beat us barring some fluke happenings. And I see us taking at least two of those three.

What makes you think Toney would be a better LB than the 3 Four Star linebackers that are red shirting this year?
I don't know if he has what it takes to play LB. He does have the body for it, he's been in the program for a while, and he has game experience. We have plenty of DEs assuming Brown comes back healthy.

It's rare for a RS freshman to make an impact at MLB. Brooks is the only one with the size to play middle.

P.S. Franklin was 3*

PSU shifting to a 5-2-4 defense. Just look how they are recruiting DL and DB. Not many LB’s are being recruited.

• Many were concerned about DE & LB and those concerns proved legit. Injuries to Brown & Buchholz made matters worse.
  • Most expected the DTs to be a big strength. They've been OK but not as good as expected.
  • Most expected the OL to be improved and for Barkley to rush for 1,800 yards. This is obviously the biggest disappointment. Part of the problem might be he scheme.
  • Two coaching concerns (for me anyway). At OSU we went conservative with a 15 pt lead and it cost us the game. Also, we had a very creative offensive game plan vs. UM then mysteriously went back to a traditional offense after that.
It will be difficult to be too disappointed if we win out and also win a bowl game. But what could have been.

The offense should be nearly as potent if we can get a TE that can block and catch an occasional pass. The defense could take a step back with weakness at DT, LB, and S. We also need a kicker.

PS should certainly be 4-0 with wins over App State, Pitt, Kent St, and at Illinois. Then OSU & MSU back to back but at home. I'll say 5-1. @ Indiana is no guarantee then Iowa at home. Let's say 7-1. Then @ Michigan followed by Wisconsin on the road. Could easily fall to 7-3. Finish @ Rutgers and vs. Maryland. Sounds like 9-3. Could be better if we find a MLB, TE, S, and K.

I think most thought this year was the first 'legit' run at the CFP and National Championship (thus, why everyone was cool with playing the Rose Bowl last year). It didn't happen, people are upset. Next year we'll be working with less experience but who knows - could have some better luck in the big games.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Barkley is the best player in College Football and could be the best PSU has seen, but when he leaves we won't see much of a drop off? I don't get that. RB is going to be a huge dropoff, Barkley is so good and does so much.

I honestly think 2018 we will drop back a bit, maybe 9-3, 8-4.. 2019 is looking great tho.
Losing one of the best single players is tough, but I think the concensus is that the overall talent on the team will improve. Sanders is not Barkley, but he’s still an incredible talent...add in that the potential for next wave of starters is only getting better, and there’s reason for optimism about the future in HV.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I don't know if he has what it takes to play LB. He does have the body for it, he's been in the program for a while, and he has game experience. We have plenty of DEs assuming Brown comes back healthy.

It's rare for a RS freshman to make an impact at MLB. Brooks is the only one with the size to play middle.

P.S. Franklin was 3*
So was Tony Hunt. Every year there seem to be some 3* who top coaching staffs (the ones who’d know better than the recruiting services) fight for—ahead of some 4* recruits at the same position. Franklin was one of them.

But I agree Brooks isn’t likely an impact player as a RS frosh. We may be wrong and seems he’ll def provide considerable value to the unit.

One of things that I like about next year is that we don't have back-to-back road games in the Big 10 schedule. The reasons for losing to MSU have been beaten to death.....but playing a road game coming off a road game had to be exhausting. These kids are not pros where there is nothing else going on their lives but sleeping on airplanes and in hotels.

Many people mentioned that both OSU and Penn State were drained after their game and felt it the following week.......but at least OSU went to Iowa after a home game.....maybe a minor issue.....but what a strange, strange day that was at MSU...amongst many things.

I think the way the Big 10 has it is that when the team has 4 home and 5 away games (like this year and 2019 for Penn State), they are going to get stuck with back-to-back away games.....not the case next year when Penn State plays 5 home and 4 on the road. Wisconsin had back-to-back away games this year....but it was softened by being Illinois and Indiana......hardly an OSU/MSU road trip.

Right- that was a tough two game stretch and the delay didn't help. We probably beat MSU 8 out of 10 times. MSU got up for us, and crapped the bed against OSU. I keep saying- this isn't the pros, and college kids going on the road with all the distractions is a tough deal.

• Many were concerned about DE and those concerns proved legit. Injuries to Brown & Buchholz made matters worse.

PS should certainly be 4-0 with wins over App State, Pitt, Kent St, and at Illinois. Then OSU & MSU back to back but at home. I'll say 5-1. @ Indiana is no guarantee then Iowa at home. Let's say 7-1. Then @ Michigan followed by Wisconsin. Could easily fall to 7-3. Finish @ Rutgers and vs. Maryland. Sounds like 9-3. Could be better if we find a MLB, TE, S, and K.

I'm going to go out on a limb (well not too far) and say the offense I thought would be dominant this year, is dominant next year. A Senior QB, still studs all over at WR and RB, and a more experienced O-Line. We will outscore teams, and Sanders will have a big year. All teams have to replace players every year.......

Reactions: NedFromYork
2019 is the year where we compete for the College Footabll Playoffs. That is where we should have high expectations. All areas of the team including offensive line will be talented and experienced

You're expecting a lot from Stevens who will be seeing his first starts at QB.

Disagree...Apke has played very well this season...his best as a starter IMO.

Apke is a less talented Marcus Allen, in the sense that he's much better against the run or in the short passing game than his is in coverage. We can't survive having two safeties that don't play the pass well.

So was Tony Hunt. Every year there seem to be some 3* who top coaching staffs (the ones who’d know better than the recruiting services) fight for—ahead of some 4* recruits at the same position. Franklin was one of them.

But I agree Brooks isn’t likely an impact player as a RS frosh. We may be wrong and seems he’ll def provide considerable value to the unit.
We just don't know much about the 2017 class -- only guys to see the field this year have been TCF and Wade in the secondary, and Gross-Matos at DE; we could get some major help at LB, in the secondary, and even DL from this group. And a loaded 2018 class coming in.

Overall depth should be good, and it will be interesting to see just which young players make their mark.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I'm going to go out on a limb (well not too far) and say the offense I thought would be dominant this year, is dominant next year. A Senior QB, still studs all over at WR and RB, and a more experienced O-Line. We will outscore teams, and Sanders will have a big year. All teams have to replace players every year.......
It will be interesting to see if the offensive scheme remains the same next year, especially if JoMo leaves.

I think we'll be fine with Sanders replacing Barkley as a runner. Two things about Barkley are that he blocks well and he almost never fumbles. Time will tell what Sanders can do in those areas.

We just don't know much about the 2017 class -- only guys to see the field this year have been TCF and Wade in the secondary, and Gross-Matos at DE; we could get some major help at LB, in the secondary, and even DL from this group. And a loaded 2018 class coming in.

Overall depth should be good, and it will be interesting to see just which young players make their mark.

That really is what makes college football entertaining as an alum, the fact that there is constant turnover and new expectations year to year. We only have seen 3 players from the 2017 class, but those 3 look very good. Gross-Matos has the potential to be our best DE next year, and Wade and CF look pretty solid already as well. There are also a good number of redshirts that have the potential to make considerable impact next year. Barber is a big kid that if he stays at DE could improve our run defense. Hansard and Bolds are big DT's that will be given a chance to contribute at RS freshmen. Reports that Sutherland is a real hitter, so even if it's on special teams he can impact the team. And we all know that we need 1 or more of the redshirting LB's to contribute in 2018. Thorpe is huge, but likely won't get much PT next year. Combined with a couple of the stud true freshmen in the 2018 class, such as Shorter and potentially Parsons, next year's team has the potential to replace the playmakers that graduate and be just as exciting to watch.

That transition each year is the reason I'd rather watch the B/W game than watch PSU beat up on a lowly team like Rutgers or pitt.... Although I admit I did attend the pitt game.....

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT