ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

Another good sign that will take some getting used to for many. These guys were high level recruits that saw the writing on the wall. They had been passed up by other players that were more talented than they were and their playing time was going to be limited. This is good news for a couple of reasons.

1. Eliminates underperforming players from the roster.
2. Opens up scholarships for players with potential to outperform them in the future.

The only way this becomes a negative is if Franklin isn't able to replace these players with new players that perform at a higher level. Welcome to modern college football. As long as our players are going to class, making the grade and staying out of trouble we are still fulfilling the mission of success with honor. It's up to the players to decide what they value more, a PSU Degree or the lure of more playing time elsewhere.

It's going to turn into a NFL free agency type of situation. You get X number of HS recruits and maybe a JUCO kid, and maybe a Portal Transfer kid or two. Here is the best list of Portal players I could find. You can see it's already not updated to include our recent departures. I imagine all schools will lose some players. Oklahoma is maybe losing their potential starting QB, :eek:, Fire Lincoln Riley !
Add two TN players to the below an OL Drew Richmond and TE Wolf. Both of whom were starters. Things are rocky on Rocky Top . Campus fires at all the schools.

https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-2019/

The fact that we are unlikely to be at 85 ships next year tells me Franklin didn’t plan for this. We are at 77 or 78 by my count and Franklin doesn’t have 7 more blue chips signing late in February.

This is the problem with the current player attrition! Well said.

Another good sign that will take some getting used to for many. These guys were high level recruits that saw the writing on the wall. They had been passed up by other players that were more talented than they were and their playing time was going to be limited. This is good news for a couple of reasons.

1. Eliminates underperforming players from the roster.
2. Opens up scholarships for players with potential to outperform them in the future.

The only way this becomes a negative is if Franklin isn't able to replace these players with new players that perform at a higher level. Welcome to modern college football. As long as our players are going to class, making the grade and staying out of trouble we are still fulfilling the mission of success with honor. It's up to the players to decide what they value more, a PSU Degree or the lure of more playing time elsewhere.

I can’t imagine Franklin was prepared for this many departures. No way he, or anyone really, can properly recruit given this kind of set up. Now he’s going to have to try to replenish depth and potential starters with less than a month before NLOI day. Welcome to the sh*t show.

Last edited by a moderator:
My forecast is that a lot of schools are now going to be essentially exchanging #3s- the new skill that will be required is determining if the #3 you're looking at is better than the #3 you lost. Saban will have five special assistants on this- everybody else will have to get by with current staff taking on additional work.

Of all the losses, Wade was the only one that excelled on special teams. As I believe he would have to sit out, being a true soph this past year, I'm hoping he reconsiders and stays at PSU. But realistically he would have to fight hard for PT at PSU in 2019 and could walk right in and start at a great many programs. Every kid has their own priorities. Either way I wish him the very best. Tough kid from Clairton, a tough town I am very familiar with. Hope he gets his degree one way or the other!!!
Excelled on special teams? Sorry, have to rebut that. He ran himself out of more coverages than you can shake a stick at. He was anything but a special teams demon. I'm sorry to see any kid transfer from PSU because I think it is their loss and eventually they will regret it. But we're bringing in a lot of DB's this year for a reason.

Unless a baseball player says something inappropriate to them.

You mean, using an inappropriate word when actually saying something complimentary about them, even though the recipient didn't hear it, nor did the speaker intend for the recipient to hear it.

I can’t imagine Franklin was prepared for this many departures. No way he, or anyone really, can properly recruit given this kind of set up. Now he’s going to have to try to replenish depth and potential starters with less than a month before NLOI day. Welcome to the sh*t show.

Maybe he was prepared. Maybe not. The fact that our best players (except those going to the NFL) are staying keeps me off the panic button. Being able to play freshmen in 4 games and still allow them to redshirt changes the depth dynamic we’ve all grown accustomed to. I think we’ll be just fine.

Sweet Jeebzus.

Laugh, or Cry?

Gotta’ day:
Your malleable definition of “success with honor” is one of the most pathetic fan-boy-isms of all time. Might wanna’ ponder that one.

I have and I stand by what I said which may be different than what you heard. As long as we are demanding the same things of our players on and off the field as we have in the past and our players live up to those standards while they are here, we are fulfilling the mission. While we may consider a PSU Degree to be more valuable than one from another school, is it really a bad thing for a kid to transfer to another school and gain more playing time while getting their degree from that school?

Are other schools seeing multiple recent entries in the transfer portal db?

Reactions: djr4rebs
Maybe he was prepared. Maybe not. The fact that our best players (except those going to the NFL) are staying keeps me off the panic button. Being able to play freshmen in 4 games and still allow them to redshirt changes the depth dynamic we’ve all grown accustomed to. I think we’ll be just fine.

Still need depth. Could argue it’s as important as our starters. Maybe the best players leave next year? Who knows? It’s a slippery slope and while I believe the players should have more control of their lives, there should be some sensible rules. Not just I’m unhappy with playing time and want to leave, or, I want to play for a team who might win the NC next year.

You mean, using an inappropriate word when actually saying something complimentary about them, even though the recipient didn't hear it, nor did the speaker intend for the recipient to hear it.
Kind of like if a tree falls in the forest and there’s no one to hear it make noise kind of thing.

None of these guys were going to be starters and very well could have been beaten out by some of the incoming freshmen.

I highly doubt any of them want to be 3rd team players.

Coaching college football in this day and age must be so @&$) aggravating. I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons for transferring but I would love for the NCAA to put real parameters on the practice of leaving a school. Today it has become the norm and way too easy. There has to be a way to anchor these kids down.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
The NCAA is leaning towards letting kids transfer as easily as coaches. That is only fair.

It’s not a question of individual fairness. Often times what’s unfair to a particular individual allows for a functional system of overall fairness to the group. And no one forces these kids to play football in college.

I will say the Penn State haterade on twitter is embarrassing. Wade is re-tweeting this stuff.

None of these guys were going to be starters and very well could have been beaten out by some of the incoming freshmen.

I highly doubt any of them want to be 3rd team players.

Which incoming freshmen?

The transfer portal works both ways. At one school you won't see enough playing time , but at the other school there is a urgent need for your position.
Actually could be a great help for us.
Just a little footnote, the same people that criticized the players going into the draft, or portal are the same ones saying the sky is falling.

Reactions: eidolon21
The transfer portal works both ways. At one school you won't see enough playing time , but at the other school there is a urgent need for your position.
Actually could be a great help for us.
Just a little footnote, the same people that criticized the players going into the draft, or portal are the same ones saying the sky is falling.

Not true. Some are trying to spin this as a Franklin thing but it’s bigger than that IMO. This is just the beginning.

Transfers, is this how a Rutgers starts to build a team? Players who have expierence in strong program come on for a year and help younger players build their skills.
Second question, when you transfer how long do you go to class at the new school

How many of all of the kids in the transfer portal are going to a better football school? Maybe a better situation concerning playing time, but look at all the names and it all comes down to being buried on a depth chart 99% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT