ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

Maybe Franklin was honest with them. Told them they are second team and will be hard pressed to find playing time third teamers are pressing them for second team.
This is absolutely what happened. He has a talk with every single player on the team and provides insight on how they will fit into the team next year. So did he tell Johnson and Wade they were going to start in 2019 or did he tell them the truth?

What I find concerning is the belief the 4 and 5 star incoming players are going to be in a position to be instant contributors.
After all they are 4 and 5 star studs. Right?
However, some of those transferring were 4 and 5 star recruits that didn’t work out. And, should they not work out, where does that leave the situation in 2020? Hope and pray the “unbelievable 2020 class that could be” comes in and starts?
Potential is only on paper.

OL

What I find concerning is the belief the 4 and 5 star incoming players are going to be in a position to be instant contributors.
However, some of those transferring were 4 and 5 star recruits that didn’t work out. And, should they not work out, where does that leave the situation in 2020? Hope and pray the “unbelievable 2020 class that could be” comes in and starts?

OL

They have to be get 3 years now (including a redshirt) to make an impact - sprinkle in some 4th year players and maybe a 5th year player here and there - that’s what the game is now

And if next years 4 * and 5 * players can’t get it done you go out and get more next year

OL
With the possible exception of the JUCO players, I doubt Franklin included "incoming" players in his depth evaluation. Look at the receivers already on the team. How many snaps would you project Polk to get?If these young men do indeed leave, they will be searching for a better chance to start and be the go to guy at their respective positions. I don't know about McPhearson, but I'm sure Wade and Polk left HS with NFL in their dreams. I gotta believe Wade projects as a 2nd team safety at best.

Reactions: OhioLion
Maybe this is Franklin making people “uncomfortable”? None of these kids were going to be significant contributors.

Zech - was always going to be the 4th or 5th CB in the rotation. He had been passed by both TCF and D Johnson

Polk - seems like a good kid but if we’re being honest he’s not a P5 caliber receiver. He just doesn’t have the hands. He didn’t even play in the final couple of games because his performances prior were that bad.

Wade - simply put, he was overrated as a prospect. If you remember, his final three schools were Tenn, Pitt, and PSU - he wasn’t being pursued by any of the Michigan, OSU, Clemson, etc. The position change probably had something to do with all of this. He’s probably better served at a school like Temple or Pitt.

I’m not the least bit worried, Franklin recruits well enough that he’ll have all these spots filled after the next cycle. I’d be more worried if we were losing younger talented guys like Parsons, Dotson, Slade, etc.

None of those leaving are "shockers".
Perhaps not, but the depth and special teams are taking a beating. Plus you have to wonder about two offensive linemen declaring early that most likely will not be drafted until the late rounds if at all.

Can't people see the pattern here? This is players who want to start or at least play a lot, they're good players but they are not the best PSU has, and they see the depth chart and the people coming in and know it's going to be tough to win a starting position. Wade didn't come to PSU to be a career backup. He wants to play in the NFL.

Maybe it says something about the program and low morale on the squad, but that's not what it looks like to me. More likely it represents the change in NCAA's stance toward transfers combined with the amount of competition Franklin tries to have for every spot.

Didn’t wade have a kid (in Pittsburgh) right after he came to state college? Prob best for that whole situation for him to go to Pitt or Duquesne.
Would be shocked if he went to pitt after narduzzi's antics. Don't think he'd settle for the level Duquesne is at.

Wow, this is getting ridiculous. We can rationalize this all we want, but the 2019 season is quickly going down the tubes. Polk is no loss, but the other 2 are, starters or no, depth is very important and so are special teams. I don't think Franklin can bring in enough quality recruits this year to fill out the roster.
Ridiculous. This is sausage making in today's college football world. I actually think this will increase competition for playing time. Think about it.

Reactions: eidolon21
This does not show well for this staff.

IDK. Could be a good sign that a 5* kid like is Wade is not starting bc there is other talent. All depends on the reason. Juwan Johnson is the one that puzzles me.

Reactions: TheGLOV

OL
There are some people on here who are incapable of admitting anything is bad news for PSU. Really just the inverse of those who only show up in the game thread and are always negative.

No way you can objectively say the team is better off losing guys like Wade, Johnson, Givens, etc. Depth for next year has taken a huge hit and as you mention, there's no guarantee these incoming recruits will contribute right away. Heck, as we saw with Miner and Aseidu last year, there's no guarantee all of them will ever play a down.

It is what it is, and maybe this is the new reality of college football, but sticking one's head in the sand and pretending all this turnover isn't a significant development makes for a boring message board.

No way you can objectively say the team is better off losing guys like Wade, Johnson, Givens, etc. Depth for next year has taken a huge hit and as you mention, there's no guarantee these incoming recruits will contribute right away.

Who is saying we are better off. I’m just saying this situation isn’t the sky falling on the program that some are suggesting.

Of all the losses, Wade was the only one that excelled on special teams. As I believe he would have to sit out, being a true soph this past year, I'm hoping he reconsiders and stays at PSU. But realistically he would have to fight hard for PT at PSU in 2019 and could walk right in and start at a great many programs. Every kid has their own priorities. Either way I wish him the very best. Tough kid from Clairton, a tough town I am very familiar with. Hope he gets his degree one way or the other!!!

Isn’t wade to short to be taken seriously as a DB? The kid is a Tiny Tim.

Wade is going to be a junior with no impact as a starter. He has ambition to go to the NFL and his path getting there from here isnt good. He is 5'9 194ish , Brisker is 6'2 197. Was going to be hard to see the field full time.

Reactions: LionJim
What’s that saying?
“Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt”?

Numerous guys - many of whom have made significant contributions, others who likely where in line to make significant contributions, decide to “not be a part of the team” anymore...... Guys who are NOT being forced out to make room for some more talented kids, or to cash huge paychecks or have earned a diploma..... that ain’t good.

That doesn’t necessarily mean CJF or whomever screwed up..... it’s not like they can shackle ‘me and force them to stay.

But the qualifying and excuse-making is kinda’ sad.
How many are in the portal from other programs? I'm sure someone will do a comparison. If PSU is significantly higher than other comparable programs, I'll be willing to buy something is up, but aside from JJ who already has a degree and Shorter in the fold, I just don't see any of the transfers potentially making a difference next year, except depth. I think many of us thought Wade would be competing at safety as he was listed as the back-up safety for the Citrus bowl. But he was listed third at the star passed by Johnson. McPhearson was listed the #3 cornerback and was passed by Castro-Fields.. Neither Wade nor McPhearson were likely to start next year and were passed by later recruits.

How many are in the portal from other programs? I'm sure someone will do a comparison. If PSU is significantly higher than other comparable programs, I'll be willing to buy something is up, but aside from JJ who already has a degree and Shorter in the fold, I just don't see any of the transfers potentially making a difference next year, except depth. I think many of us thought Wade would be competing at safety as he was listed as the back-up safety for the Citrus bowl. But he was listed third at the star passed by Johnson. McPhearson was the listed the #3 cornerback and was passed by Castro-Fields.. Neither Wade nor McPhearson were likely to start next year and were passed by later recruits.
Its not good to confuse people with the facts.

How many are in the portal from other programs? I'm sure someone will do a comparison. If PSU is significantly higher than other comparable programs, I'll be willing to buy something is up, but aside from JJ who already has a degree and Shorter in the fold, I just don't see any of the transfers potentially making a difference next year, except depth. I think many of us thought Wade would be competing at safety as he was listed as the back-up safety for the Citrus bowl. But he was listed third at the star passed by Johnson. McPhearson was listed the #3 cornerback and was passed by Castro-Fields.. Neither Wade nor McPhearson were likely to start next year and were passed by later recruits.

If you watched Sutherland last year, you probably thought (like I did), “Wow, that kid has some talent. He’s going to be a heck of a player.” I never got that with Wade.
I hope he finds a place to play but focuses on his studies and allows himself an opportunity to earn a degree to provide for his child.

Last edited:
None of the incoming guys forced out Givens or Johnson or Bates or Wade or McPhearson or ............
There was - and is - plenty of room for all of them (in fact, there will now be large open voids in the roster)

This isn’t a case of “losing” guys limited to the likes of Martin or Jenkins or Petrishen or Bolds or Darien etc.

But, yeah, other than those “itty-bitty” false premises ....... sure :)
But I’m confident you know that...... I’m just not sure why someone who knows better would go to such lengths to disregard the obvious.
of the guys that are on the list, how many will get more then 100 plays the coming year in the first 3 quarters of games.

How many of all of the kids in the transfer portal are going to a better football school? Maybe a better situation concerning playing time, but look at all the names and it all comes down to being buried on a depth chart 99% of the time.
This is all about guys thinking they should have bigger roles by now. Probably happening everywhere.

The roster has been significantly upgraded in the past two cycles - I think backups transferring from the upper class are because of the amount of talent in the FR and Soph classes.

How many transfers does Bama/Clemson have each year? OSU?
Well...... which lullaby is it?

“Everybody has this many kids leaving?” (If that’s your contention, perhaps you can show your math :) )
Or
“None of the kids leaving PSU is worth keeping?”

You seem to be mixing your metaphors a bit :)

You think every kid who ain’t likely to start next year should leave? And that would be - to you - a big no problemo?

You do realize - I suppose - that only 22 kids would be left on the roster?
And you’re allowed 85?

LSHIPM

Yeah, people seem to be missing the bigger picture here - players who have invested time in the program and were going to play (maybe not start, but play and contribute) are leaving and CJF and staff may or may not have a plan for that. Players are always going to be pushed by younger players but you need experience and depth to compliment talent to have a solid team. This is sort of 'The Portal: Year One' - and right now, maybe not so bad. Who knows though? Maybe Wade or McPherson have a breakout year next year. Maybe TCF or Reid get hurt. Maybe next year, more players enter if they like their chances elsewhere better. I do think some attrition at top schools happens pretty regularly (between the draft and transfer), but we're not at the same place OSU, Bama, and Clemson are. People trashing Wade forget he was a Top 100 prospect with offers from nearly everywhere (save Michigan). He was a top performer in camps - not sure what happened between then and now but maybe the light hasn't clicked yet; Oruwariye and Haley weren't blowing anyone away as Sophomores.

Reactions: furfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT