ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

Lamont Wade probably should have taken a red shirt. But, his 5star status probably led him to unrealistic expectations early. At this level, everyone has speed and quickness.......size he doesn't have. He needs to be a smart, savvy kind of DB and he should have taken a shirt to learn.
Lamont played 1A football in high school and was awarded a 5*
Others played 5/6A football and they were awarded 3/4*.
Lamont I believe has two maybe three children and a baby mom
He needs exposure for NFL scouts. Special teams not doing it.
Lamont unsure if he will start at PSU when he looks at competition.(6A/5A's)
Lamont looking to take 5* status elsewhere and capitalize. Less competition.
If Lamont can start some where this may help him to get a shot as a 5th or 6th round draft pick and get that initial but probably last couple million NFL contract .
At this point Lamont is counting on a NFL contract for his family. Concerning!
A lot of pressure on this young man. Who is supporting his kids now?
I don't like this scenario because he is chasing the money. I would rather see him elevate his game, compete, and get his college degree. Hopefully the degree equates to money for he and his family. I wish a confidant would talk to him realistically but his future. I don't think it is in the NFL. But what do I know. Hoping he makes some mature decisions.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Yeah, seems like this impacts special teams the most (and depth in case of injuries). So more freshmen play (more than 4 games) and special teams will need to develop/adjust.

Maybe the ST coaching will have to step up and improve.

I think he also lacks speed
I agree. He does lack speed. My nephew and I talked to his father his freshman year and he said that he already had talked to Franklin about his lack of playing time. I told him that he will get his time and keep pushing.

The fact that we are unlikely to be at 85 ships next year tells me Franklin didn’t plan for this. We are at 77 or 78 by my count and Franklin doesn’t have 7 more blue chips signing late in February.
I agree.

I think everybody wins in this. Morale should increase since no one will feel trapped. Having a database provides the national exposure that did not exist before, so there are more opportunities to get a good match with needs.

We will probably lose at least one QB to transfer over the next year or two. I would hate to lose Levis. We may need him -- as a QB. Based on H.S. film to my eye he has better throwing mechanics than the two coming in with the 2019 class. Has a strong arm and is obviously a great athlete with that SPARQ score. That said, Morelli probably led the pack in throwing ability and we know how that went once he saw the field.

Can't be a great team in today's game without having a great passer. The head coaches of the top two teams have recognized this and made the right choices when it counted. Hopefully Franklin will too.

Lamont played 1A football in high school and was awarded a 5*
Others played 5/6A football and they were awarded 3/4*.
Lamont I believe has two maybe three children and a baby mom
He needs exposure for NFL scouts. Special teams not doing it.
Lamont unsure if he will start at PSU when he looks at competition.(6A/5A's)
Lamont looking to take 5* status elsewhere and capitalize. Less competition.
If Lamont can start some where this may help him to get a shot as a 5th or 6th round draft pick and get that initial but probably last couple million NFL contract .
At this point Lamont is counting on a NFL contract for his family. Concerning!
A lot of pressure on this young man. Who is supporting his kids now?
I don't like this scenario because he is chasing the money. I would rather see him elevate his game, compete, and get his college degree. Hopefully the degree equates to money for he and his family. I wish a confidant would talk to him realistically but his future. I don't think it is in the NFL. But what do I know. Hoping he makes some mature decisions.

Pretty sure he got his 5* from tearing it up in camps against the best competition in the region. Or do you think with all the money in the recruiting business, they just give out 5*'s for the hell of it?

Eleven Warriors Article from 2015 - before his junior season in HS

As players were running through one-on-one drills at last weekend’s The Opening regional camp in Columbus, 2017 four-star defensive back Lamont Wade would finish a rep then seek out the shortest line so that he could get another one in as fast as possible.

And when it was Wade’s turn, he usually won. That’s just the type of talent the Clairton, Pa. native is.

“I definitely showed I could hang with the big dogs,” Wade said of his performance following the camp. “Being called for the Best of the Best at the end, I definitely showed I could hang. I feel like I’m good in coverage: Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 4. In the zone, and I can play man, too.”

Ohio State already has two defensive backfield commits in the class of 2017 in five-star Shaun Wade and four-star Marcus Williamson. Adding Wade would make for one of the top defensive back classes in the country.

Right now, Wade said the Buckeyes are recruiting him very hard. Other schools that seem to be doing the same are Pittsburgh, Penn State, West Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Wade said he likely won’t make a decision in his recruitment until next summer, prior to entering his senior year of high school, but that doesn’t mean Ohio State cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs hasn’t been in hot pursuit of the talented corner.

“He’s just talking about getting me up here in the 2017 class,” Wade said. “Coach Coombs is asking me what he needs to do for me to give him my commitment and what I need to see and stuff like that.”

This past weekend, Wade attended the Rivals Five Star Challenge camp in Baltimore and, by all accounts, had another standout performance while playing against some of the best competition in the country. The 5-foot-10, 185-pound cornerback was listed as the No. 7 defensive performer of the entire camp.

As he’s only getting set to enter his junior year of high school, Wade still has plenty of time to make his decision. And Wade has said he is going to take his time throughout the whole process. Right now, he’s enjoying traveling around to participate in the elite camps across the country.

Wade said he plans to be back in Columbus for the annual Friday Night Lights camp. It never hurts to have one of the nation’s most sought-after recruits on your campus and that’s exactly what the Buckeyes are doing with Wade.

“I’m excited to come back up for Friday Night Lights,” he said.

For Penn State? Probably none of them - - - they won’t be here :)
(If they HAD still been here? Damn near all of the guys who have chosen to leave early instead.)

How many snaps do you expect
Will Levis
Juice Scruggs
Does Holmes
Jason Owen
Zach Kunitz
Lance Dixon
Etc etc etc to get?

Should those guys be cut loose too?

Meanwhile, how much “contribution” do you expect from the empty uniforms filling out the final 5-10 spots of the PSU roster in 2019?

Forget it.... don’t matter.

Ain’t my job ..... and it ain’t no fun :)
I agree it is not fun. Far from it. But the players that are leaving are upper classman. The ones you listed are freshmen and recruits. I will say many of them will be starting by year 3 at PSU.

Well...... which lullaby is it?

“Everybody has this many kids leaving?” (If that’s your contention, perhaps you can show your math :) )
Or
“None of the kids leaving PSU is worth keeping?”

You seem to be mixing your metaphors a bit :)

You think every kid who ain’t likely to start next year should leave? And that would be - to you - a big no problemo?

You do realize - I suppose - that only 22 kids would be left on the roster?
And you’re allowed 85?

LSHIPM
Storm you are a roll tonight with many assumptions. You typically criticize people for (a) not understanding what you wrote and/or (b) not backing up what they wrote with evidence. So I'm not sure what your point is.

Someone else will have to do the math. I never wrote that they are not worth keeping and that they should leave. I have no idea, but maybe Franklin wants them to stay. They entered the portal without consulting me and they don't owe me an explanation.

Why did they enter the portal? Well, it could be for a host reasons, but most, if not all, are in positions where they would either have to compete for a starting spot or have already been passed by others. I backed that up by (a) Franklin's own words and (b) looking at the depth chart. That is all I have to go on. Unless they start bashing the program and starters enter the portal (a la Tennessee) where is the evidence that there is something wrong with the program? Unusual for you to be posting like this unless you know something we don't and aren't posting about it,which would also be uncharacteristic for you.

JF is an excellent recruiter. If JF wants the potential transfers to stay, he will make that happen.

If the potential transfers are being re-recruited and they ain’t buying what JFis selling, then there is a bigger problem and hard as it might be, the program will be improved with the subtractions.

This is the result of CF's tremendous recruiting classes in 2018 and 2019. These guys could well play a lot at another school but won't play at Penn State. They have been aced out by the new recruits. This will be our new normal. CF will bring in 20 or so 4 and 5 star players who expect to start and play a lot. They all can't do that. The cream will rise to the top and the others will become disgruntled and transfer. Other schools with less capable recruiters will take them in and give them the playing time they covet. We should be happy this is happening. It is a product of CF's success in making Penn State an elite program.
Is this called processing?

If we recruit kids who wants to complete and accept the program as defined by out Coach, we will be fine. Highest ranked kids may not going to unless they buy into the whole program.

Well, with all due respect to Wade, he apparently had great camps but his performances in drills didn’t carry over to the games.

Something similar to the guys that turn heads on the driving range but can’t break 80 on a golf course.

I wish him (and the other departures) well.

I agree it is not fun. Far from it. But the players that are leaving are upper classman. The ones you listed are freshmen and recruits. I will say many of them will be starting by year 3 at PSU.

Wade is a sophomore. He's been behind Reid, TCF (same class), Oruwariye, and Haley at CB, and was just moved to S. I get he hasn't done a hell of a lot (has contributed on ST), but who was he going to beat out? Plenty of time this spring to work his way into a starting S or nickel position (I get Brisker may be ready, and hope he is, but I was excited to see what Wade could do back there). To me, his transfer is most worrying unless it's for some family reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, like most fans, we don't have any control over the football team period. If having control over the program is the bar, Tom might as well shut down the site.

Perhaps there’s a middle ground where people treat following the football team as a pleasant, temporary diversion and don’t get riled up over every item of minutiae it generates.

Reactions: nittnee
Well, with all due respect to Wade, he apparently had great camps but his performances in drills didn’t carry over to the games.

Something similar to the guys that turn heads on the driving range but can’t break 80 on a golf course.

I wish him (and the other departures) well.

How many other Sophomore DB's have blown you away at Penn State? *Maybe* John Reid? Our best DB's have always been upperclassmen.

For Penn State? Probably none of them - - - they won’t be here :)
(If they HAD still been here? Damn near all of the guys who have chosen to leave early instead.)

How many snaps do you expect
Will Levis
Juice Scruggs
Does Holmes
Jason Owen
Zach Kunitz
Lance Dixon
Etc etc etc to get?

Should those guys be cut loose too?

Meanwhile, how much “contribution” do you expect from the empty uniforms filling out the final 5-10 spots of the PSU roster in 2019?

Forget it.... don’t matter.

Ain’t my job ..... and it ain’t no fun :)

I'm not familiar with half those guys. Do they play for PSU? Since you are smarter than everyone here and everyone is "stupid" if they fail to agree with your every post, would think you would know the correct spelling of big names on the PSU roster.

Reactions: nittnee
Wade hinted at transferring all year in tweets. He's a role player. He was continuously steamrolled in the run game this year. Check even the Pitt film. Slot corner? Maybe his best spot. Point blank, he wasn't starting and because recruiting gurus blew him up to be a 5 star he still thinks he's amazing. If he feels he owes it to himself to go find out where he could start right away and with a child, make it to the NFL, more power to him.

If people want to freak out that role players are trying to find starting jobs with this new portal thing, more power to them. I am very hard on Franklin and the staff etc but on the surface I don't see this is a problem from them. Its kids wanting to play more. Many of these kids initially came to PSU when times weren't so good so they thought they could play right away. Some did. But when the talent from the recruiting classes continue to improve they see the writing on the wall. They have that right now. And other coaches may blow smoke up their asses to get them to come there and they may end up in same situation.

Nevertheless, we also don't know how many kids PSU is talking to about coming to play here. With these kinds of players its probably just a wash for depth anyway.

I'm not familiar with half those guys. Do they play for PSU? Since you are smarter than everyone here and everyone is "stupid" if they fail to agree with your every post, would think you would know the correct spelling of big names on the PSU roster.

Just put him on ignore. Dude is a nasty ass to everyone and he is always the smartest guy in the room. Waste of time.

Wade hinted at transferring all year in tweets. He's a role player. He was continuously steamrolled in the run game this year. Check even the Pitt film. Slot corner? Maybe his best spot. Point blank, he wasn't starting and because recruiting gurus blew him up to be a 5 star he still thinks he's amazing. If he feels he owes it to himself to go find out where he could start right away and with a child, make it to the NFL, more power to him.

If people want to freak out that role players are trying to find starting jobs with this new portal thing, more power to them. I am very hard on Franklin and the staff etc but on the surface I don't see this is a problem from them. Its kids wanting to play more. Many of these kids initially came to PSU when times weren't so good so they thought they could play right away. Some did. But when the talent from the recruiting classes continue to improve they see the writing on the wall. They have that right now. And other coaches may blow smoke up their asses to get them to come there and they may end up in same situation.

Nevertheless, we also don't know how many kids PSU is talking to about coming to play here. With these kinds of players its probably just a wash for depth anyway.

You don’t see having enough scholarship players as an issue? Did you also think OB was awesome for PSU because ‘things worked out’ with Franklin?

So a kid who invested years into the program sees a "highly rated recruiting class", and decides to bail, as though star ratings automatically equate to success? This had everything to do with the coaches, and these are "Franklin's guys" who seem to be willing to, or are actually being pushed to, roll the dice elsewhere. It's stinky, and no amount of spin from fanboys will change that.

You don’t see having enough scholarship players as an issue? Did you also think OB was awesome for PSU because ‘things worked out’ with Franklin?

I see it as an issue in CFB moving forward and it will take any staff time to compensate for it. Do you think PSU will be the only school with this going on? Hundreds of players in that portal and it will only rise each year.

Society as a whole has changed these days. Kids want it easy, don't want to have to compete for anything. They've been told all through HS they are great. They get asked by friends and family why they aren't playing more. To put that on a staff who is trying to play the best players, is unfair. Mine as well just do away with coaches and let the kids run the program and make sure everyone gets a turn like my son's u4 soccer team.

Wow! I thought Wade would be a starter this year at safety. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall with Brisker coming in.

Wade would likely never start at PSU. He's not taking Taylor's spot and Brisker is going to start right away. After that Sutherland is ahead of him on the depth chart, too.

Comparing this situation to Clemson and Bama is comparing apples to oranges. Those two programs have recruited at the highest level for an extended period of time. They have kids filing in there each year with better or similar ratings. There is no Brandon Polk or Zech McPhearson on those rosters. They know what their getting themselves into when you sign with the top program.

The last two cycles Franklin has recruited on another level compared to his first three cycles. There were kids on the roster from previous classes that would not have gotten an offer if they were in the ‘18 or ‘19 recruiting classes. There’s a lot of talent being introduced into the program and it’s overtaking some of the veterans. Dotson, Parsons, Freiermuth, Slade, Shorter, Hamler, etc. are perfect examples.

Just wait until this time next year. There will be another group of guys leaving. This is happening all over CFB.

Reactions: NittanyOpp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT