ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

Wade IMO is simply realizing that his HS talent can only take him so far in Div. 1 football.

If he chooses to go to Pitt, the Pitters will have a field.

He could end up playing against us next year in Beaver Stadium.

:mad::eek::mad:
Most of the pitters are salivating at the chance to get Wade. He would immediately become their best defensive player. This starkly illustrates the difference between CJF's recruiting ability and Narduzzi's recruiting ability.

Reactions: TheGLOV
He was here 2 years...... on a squad with upper class DBs like Haley, Amari, Reid, Campbell, Allen, Apke, etc etc.

Of the 21 kids in his recruiting class, he has the 7th MOST number of snaps played.
I agree he was a contributor but he certainly wasn't the star that his recruiting rating indicated he would be. He had the same recruiting rating as Micah Parsons! There is no comparison between the two. Wade would likely see playing time this year but he certainly wouldn't be our best DB and there is a good chance he would not even start but would be a role player like last season.

The same people that bashed players for dropping passes, fumbling, missing tackles or interceptions are now whining the same players want to test the waters. They also point out that a freshman QB takes Clemson to the NC, with the gamble of benching their starter, who also took the portal route, and then say , why don't we play more freshmen.
I like Coach Franklin, can't think of anyone available who i would want to replace him. He knows this team underachieved this year, especially against MSU & UK. While he was out recruiting with pneumonia, his staff was supposedly prepping for the Citrus Bowl, something happend here and it wasn't good. Was it coaching, players, attitude, but it showed.
Only coaches are allowed to see whose available in the portal, so it is written. We'll see who gets picked up where they go and if they make a difference and vice versa. The guys going into the NFL, that's a money move, and i can't blame them, i wished Juwan would have stuck it out , i liked him as a person and player. Good luck to all the others.

I agree he was a contributor but he certainly wasn't the star that his recruiting rating indicated he would be. He had the same recruiting rating as Micah Parsons! There is no comparison between the two. Wade would likely see playing time this year but he certainly wouldn't be our best DB and there is a good chance he would not even start but would be a role player like last season.
Wade has Parsons personality and confidence without his physical skills. I’m sure he feels he is underutilized. Best of luck to him. I didn’t see any improvement between his first year and this year

The same people that bashed players for dropping passes, fumbling, missing tackles or interceptions are now whining the same players want to test the waters. They also point out that a freshman QB takes Clemson to the NC, with the gamble of benching their starter, who also took the portal route, and then say , why don't we play more freshmen.
I like Coach Franklin, can't think of anyone available who i would want to replace him. He knows this team underachieved this year, especially against MSU & UK. While he was out recruiting with pneumonia, his staff was supposedly prepping for the Citrus Bowl, something happend here and it wasn't good. Was it coaching, players, attitude, but it showed.
Only coaches are allowed to see whose available in the portal, so it is written. We'll see who gets picked up where they go and if they make a difference and vice versa. The guys going into the NFL, that's a money move, and i can't blame them, i wished Juwan would have stuck it out , i liked him as a person and player. Good luck to all the others.
...OK...and what major football University can they go to that won't criticize bad play?

Keep in mind that just because a player enters his name in the Transfer Portal, it doesn’t mean that he’s transferring. He may be just testing the waters, and if he doesn’t like who is interested or just decides that after taking this step he really wants to stay in Happy Valley, he can pull his name out and continue as a N. Lion.
Wouldn't that be rather uncomfortable in the locker room?
Hey, I announced that I want to get out of this place but none of the places that I WANT to be can make me a better offer so I'm back, fellas.

Reactions: Madsol and 81b&w
Is there any information on players in the portal by school? I haven't seen anything on the Google machine. I'd like to see where PSU stands relative to other programs in terms of number of players entering the portal.

People need to sit back and realize a few things:

1. It has been 13 days since Penn State played a game. Most, if not all of that time, is a dead period. This is when Franklin holds the meetings with his current players about where they stand and what is expected. All of this in the transfer portal is only a surprise. Franklin and the players involved are well aware.

2. Read the tea leaves of offers and people leaving. It is no shock to those that follow that Penn State is in good shape with Cross and now also Devonshire.

Wouldn't that be rather uncomfortable in the locker room"
Hey, I announced that I want to get out of this place but none of the places that I WANT to be can make me a better offer so I'm back, fellas.
I am not sure they are saying "hey, I want to get out of this place." they may be saying "I want to see what my options are." For the most part, players in the portal have been passed over or their teams have lowered their value. The kid still has to sit out a year, unless already graduated (like JJ).

Think of this as restricted free agency in the NBA. They are not complete free agents in that there is a price to pay. However, they have a say in their destiny beyond Letter of Intent signing day.

Reactions: OaktonDave
It's as simple as this...when you recruit at an elite level like we are doing, you are bringing in pretty much all 4 and 5 star kids.

Those kids have always been the best on their team and one of the best, if not the best player in their high school conference from their areas.

Then you get to a high profile D1 football program, where you are surrounded by 50+ 4 and 5 star kids. You don't stand out as much, and are on equal playing ground with everyone else on the team to prove yourself for depth chart positioning and playing time. Every big time program has this, where there will be 4 and 5 star recruits buried on the depth chart. Those kids are competitive, want to play, and know that they have talent. I can't really blame most for wanting to go somewhere else and get a fresh start, as for most they only will have a year or two left to play football in their lives, and they do not want to spend their last years playing football on practice squads and minimal playing time.

When starters and key contributors start showing up consistently in the transfer portal, then I will be somewhat concerned, but I can't say I'm ultimately surprised by the names that are in the Portal so far or the couple more that will come soon.

It's as simple as this...when you recruit at an elite level like we are doing, you are bringing in pretty much all 4 and 5 star kids.

Those kids have always been the best on their team and one of the best, if not the best player in their high school conference from their areas.

Then you get to a high profile D1 football program, where you are surrounded by 50+ 4 and 5 star kids. You don't stand out as much, and are on equal playing ground with everyone else on the team to prove yourself for depth chart positioning and playing time. Every big time program has this, where there will be 4 and 5 star recruits buried on the depth chart. Those kids are competitive, want to play, and know that they have talent. I can't really blame most for wanting to go somewhere else and get a fresh start, as for most they only will have a year or two left to play football in their lives, and they do not want to spend their last years playing football on practice squads and minimal playing time.

When starters and key contributors start showing up consistently in the transfer portal, then I will be somewhat concerned, but I can't say I'm ultimately surprised by the names that are in the Portal so far or the couple more that will come soon.
Agree...plus, they have to sit out a year if they haven't already graduated...so I don't think you are going to see many kids that are projected top three round NFL drafts enter the portal unless they've graduated. And the graduation part was already out there as an option (anyone has been able to transfer as long as they have their undergrad degree without penalty).

I am not sure they are saying "hey, I want to get out of this place." they may be saying "I want to see what my options are." For the most part, players in the portal have been passed over or their teams have lowered their value. The kid still has to sit out a year, unless already graduated (like JJ).

Think of this as restricted free agency in the NBA. They are not complete free agents in that there is a price to pay. However, they have a say in their destiny beyond Letter of Intent signing day.
Yeah, this is different, but not really a major problem IMO for PSU. It does give players more options.

As to the impact on current rosters, some but not huge. When you consider that NFL teams work with gameday rosters of 53 players, 80+ is a big number for college rosters. It may mean that guys who play special teams and not much else may move on, and that freshmen will play more. Seems to me we'll see fewer 5-year players overall, but guys will still have the opportunity to play and can earn their degrees.

Yeah, this is different, but not really a major problem IMO for PSU. It does give players more options.

As to the impact on current rosters, some but not huge. When you consider that NFL teams work with gameday rosters of 53 players, 80+ is a big number for college rosters. It may mean that guys who play special teams and not much else may move on, and that freshmen will play more. Seems to me we'll see fewer 5-year players overall, but guys will still have the opportunity to play and can earn their degrees.

Agree..some thoughts:
  • Pool may be bigger this year because it really addresses three years of pent up demand. Next year will just be one year of kids that want to make a move.
  • This may open up a whole new recruiting path in that staffs will have to retain kids to not get in the portal and then get kids in the portal that they want. This will be a full time job.
  • NCAA had this in mind when they moved up the signing period. Teams can now evaluate the portal kids to fill needs after the recruiting season is all but over.
  • College kids are now closer to pro players (with kids sitting out bowl games and transferring more commonly, like a Baker Mayfield or Russell Wilson). Other players will see it as kids wanting to "get paid" and won't think any less of them. Not much different from a graduate student or JUCO coming in.
  • Ultimately, its better for the kids. Take a kid like Hurts who can be a NFL player but is now blocked by Tua. Same is true of kids behind Fromme or Clemson's Lawrence. And we only know the QB's because of their media. I am sure this is repeated at RB, WR, TE, CB, DE, LB....etc. The LB kid from KY, Allen, will be a top 15 pick but transferred. Antonio Callaway, now playing with the Browns, might have been a good candidate if he was still on college. The QB from Wash St is trying to get to a bigger program. Or, a player not suited to a new coach or the new coach's platform (like Hack having to move to JoeMo's read option).

Agree..some thoughts:
  • Pool may be bigger this year because it really addresses three years of pent up demand. Next year will just be one year of kids that want to make a move.
  • This may open up a whole new recruiting path in that staffs will have to retain kids to not get in the portal and then get kids in the portal that they want. This will be a full time job.
  • NCAA had this in mind when they moved up the signing period. Teams can now evaluate the portal kids to fill needs after the recruiting season is all but over.
  • College kids are now closer to pro players (with kids sitting out bowl games and transferring more commonly, like a Baker Mayfield or Russell Wilson). Other players will see it as kids wanting to "get paid" and won't think any less of them. Not much different from a graduate student or JUCO coming in.
  • Ultimately, its better for the kids. Take a kid like Hurts who can be a NFL player but is now blocked by Tua. Same is true of kids behind Fromme or Clemson's Lawrence. And we only know the QB's because of their media. I am sure this is repeated at RB, WR, TE, CB, DE, LB....etc. The LB kid from KY, Allen, will be a top 15 pick but transferred. Antonio Callaway, now playing with the Browns, might have been a good candidate if he was still on college. The QB from Wash St is trying to get to a bigger program. Or, a player not suited to a new coach or the new coach's platform (like Hack having to move to JoeMo's read option).
I guess my first question would be how do we compare with other similar schools in terms of how many kids enter the transfer portal?

Secondly, how does this affect recruiting going forward, do you actually now recruit more players than you think you need on paper; do you need to anticipate what back ups and special team players may transfer after the next season?

Thirdly, this is really going to affect our depth and special teams next year, at least from an experience perspective. it does open the door for incoming true freshmen to get playing time.

Hope this doesn't devolve into kids seeking out the path of least resistance. Penn State, in its quest to develop student-athletes on the field, in the classroom and in the community, isn't for everyone. Football factories are a dime a dozen and possibly attractive to certain people in moments of frustration. How many players said they thought about transferring in their early years with Joe, only to sing his praises and say "thank goodness I stayed the course" upon graduating? In any event, best wishes to Brandon, Lamont and Zech.

Yep.

There's always Pitt and other places like it.

Does anyone know if the non qbs entering portal is occurring at other programs? And are they having 4+ non qbs entering the portal, some that would have to sit out if granted transfer? Just wondering how common this has become in a short time across all programs or if this is something related to PSU and Franklin/staff.

If other programs have non qbs entering the portal, then perhaps Franklin can plug a few holes from the losses by bringing in a few from other programs?

I imagine coaches will soon start complaining about this new concept. It isn't like the NFL where you can get free agents to replace what you have lost. This has to make it tough to plan out resource allocation. And as others have mentioned, you lose veteran leadership and depth. Things definitely will be interesting!

Use Zech McPhearson for an example, as to me he is the biggest contributor of depth that we are going to lose to transfer:
  • High School Career
    • Came in for 2016 class as a 4-star recruit
    • Had offers from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Penn State, etc.
  • College Career
    • Redshirts his freshman year in 2016
    • 2017 - RS/Freshman year - Appears in 11 games with a couple snaps in each during mop up time.
    • 2018 - Sophomore year - Appears in 12 games as a backup (3rd/4th string) CB.
  • Future
    • With Oruwariye graduating and heading to the NFL, I think Zech would have had an increased role in the defense next season and beyond, however I don't see him projecting to ever be a starter as others passed him on the depth chart (Ex: Donovan Johnson, TCF).
    • Zech was probably always going to be 3rd string rotation cornerback at PSU, and provide good depth in the CB rotation.
    • I can't blame Zech for knowing he has talent and can see the field more at another college program and deciding to make the move while he still has 2 more years of eligibility.
If we start seeing younger guys like TCF, Ellis Brooks, YGM, PJ Mustipher entering the Portal to explore transfer options, then yeah there may be something weird going on.

In this new world, do we see the NCAA eliminate the one-year sit-out for transfers?

That would further increase volatility.

Try keeping a recent college grad in a position at work for that long. They just want to move around and never get good at anything.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to leave PSU and go to Pitt to be on the other side of the upcoming ass beating on September 14th.

Be on the winning team and get only a few snaps OR play on the losing team and get maybe 50+ snaps. Furthermore, get 50+ snaps in 11 or 12 more games. Maybe a move to Pitt is more than just about the PSU game.

Reactions: MilesBarkley
Opinions vary...
Road House references always welcome.

th

Keep in mind that just because a player enters his name in the Transfer Portal, it doesn’t mean that he’s transferring. He may be just testing the waters, and if he doesn’t like who is interested or just decides that after taking this step he really wants to stay in Happy Valley, he can pull his name out and continue as a N. Lion.
It also means that the school is not required to keep them either.

•Once notification of transfer is signed, your current school has the right to reduce or cancel
your financial aid at the end of the academic term. (Read more about the financial aid
proposal on ncaa.org.)
•After notification, your original school is not obligated to take you back as a student-athlete

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/di-saac-notification-transfer.pdf

JJ - probably not a starter in 2019
Polk - not a starter in 2019
McPhearson - not a starter in 2019
Wade - probably not a starter in 2019

Four upperclassmen (two grad transfers) that weren't going to be playing a lot in 2019. Nothing surprising here.

I By this logic anybody after the starters on the 3 deep is expendable.

Reactions: stormingnorm
The only way you become elite is to keep your roster fresh with quality contributors.

Bama had a DL drafted by the Steelers last year who did not start and was behind freshmen and sophomores on the depth chart.

I By this logic anybody after the starters on the 3 deep is expendable.

Yes, this is what concerns me. Competition in practice for playing time is important for success. Depth is a concern, and you need bodies for the foreign team. Plus, how do you recruit efficiently not knowing how many spaces you will actually need to replace? Is this year the new norm, or is it an aberration?

Aren't the players who see opportunity elsewhere the ones making the requests?
Ah, that’s a million dollar question. Are they making the request by their own decision? Or are they making the request because someone suggested to them that it would be in their best interest to make the request? Or may it be a mix of both? Frankly we may never know, and it’s probably non of our business.

Ah, that’s a million dollar question. Are they making the request by their own decision? Or are they making the request because someone suggested to them that it would be in their best interest to make the request? Or may it be a mix of both? Frankly we may never know, and it’s probably non of our business.
I think we can reasonably infer that Franklin is being fairly blunt with some of these guys. But that may be the best approach, in the long run.

Reactions: eidolon21
I think we can reasonably infer that Franklin is being fairly blunt with some of these guys. But that may be the best approach, in the long run.
Honesty yes, blunt meaning encouraging them to leave? I doubt it considering the need for depth and practice competition.

Johnson
Polk
Wade
McPhersons
Sanders
Bates
McGovern
Givens

All gone without being replaced at this point with 19 freshmen coming in. All could have helped as either potential starters, in the three deep rotation, or on special teams, not to mention the competition they provide in practice. My guess is the staff is scrambling.

Last edited:
My guess is that Franklin is honest about where they stand on depth chart and how they will likely go into spring ball. If they don't have their degree I would think Franklin is encouraging them to continue to work hard on and off the field and stay the course. If they have graduated and aren't projected as major contributors he would encourage them to get on with their next phase.

The kids decide how that works for them. I don't believe he would prefer a guy like Wade leave. Polk yes.

Yes, this is what concerns me. Competition in practice for playing time is important for success. Depth is a concern, and you need bodies for the foreign team. Plus, how do you recruit efficiently not knowing how many spaces you will actually need to replace? Is this year the new norm, or is it an aberration?

This may affect the number of recruits who sign during the December early signing period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT