ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

We see the word "processed" with regard to other programs, none of these players would appear to be major contributors next season. What's the board's opinion?

The interesting thing with this article is how the transfer portal will affect G5 and FCS guys who blow up. They can then jump to P5 schools as graduate transfers. Does anyone know if someone like Wade will have to sit for a year? That rule is still in place right?
yes

I expect more to “not be back” as well.

Losing kids to “1st Round NFL Money”?
What are ya gonna’ do? Congratulate the kid.
(PSU doesn’t have any of those this year)

Losing kids to injury? C’est la Vie.
(Kids like Minor and Asiadu etc..... sad, but part of the game)

Dropping potential 5th year kids, who are buried on the depth chart? (Jenkins.... maybe Polk..... and maybe a handful of others to come).
Probably a necessary part of “roster management”.

But PSU - in one year - is losing a dozen or so kids who don’t fit into ANY of those categories.
That is an issue...... IMO

Maybe the ones that left for the draft are OK with third round money and realize that's all they can get.

How many of all of the kids in the transfer portal are going to a better football school? Maybe a better situation concerning playing time, but look at all the names and it all comes down to being buried on a depth chart 99% of the time.

The other question is how many will actually transfer? I’d expect Penn State will fill more of the new spots with HS kids and not transfers. If other schools do the same, where does everyone land? Some will have to drop a level to find a home.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
This is what concerns me - wtf is Franklin running down there that everyone is jumping ship. What went from a small class is going to be 25+ to keep 85 scholarships.
When the starters start jumping ship, I think you can be concerned. Leaving for the NFL should not be a concern. All the players in the portal have (a) graduated and likely are passed by underclassmen; (b) underclassmen who have not played meaningful minutes and as others have pointed out are battling for playing time, but likely not a starting spot; (c) have personal reasons.

If the underclassmen who want to transfer for playing time, the degree was never that important to them anyway, so go play football. Can't blame them for that.

Remember, this past week was the first week of the Spring semester. The coaches have had discussions with many players about expectations for spring ball and the 2019 season. Some of these players may have been told in these discussions that they would either have to really step it up in Spring workouts or they are not apart of the team’s plans going forward. If a player realizes they are not going to see much time, why not graduate, transfer to another school and try to get more playing time, and work towards a masters degree through a football scholarship. There is nothing wrong with this approach. The only issue I see is that Franklin may not have recruited enough players for the 2019 recruiting class, which reflects on him and the rest of the coaching staff in their management of the football program.

Reactions: Beachwineguy
How buried was Wade? If your second teamsters start bouncing on the regular, you’re gonna have problems.
I'm not sure he wouldn't have been the 4th saftey this year. Also, following him on social media, his best friend got murdered not too long after he stepped on campus. Then he had a child. There was also a lot of IG stories about him being bored in State College and not many pictures of him hanging out with other players. I can't say this surprised me.

I agree. Don’t see Givens ad a pro. He was a nice player but not dominant. Doesn’t have the size to be drafted on measurables
Admittedly I didn't watch him closely. This was my hunch......wasn't he able to play some RB and LB at Altoona? I think he may be pretty athletic. The NFL is in love with "combine cuties." I felt like he might do very well there. There is more room for "tweeners" in the NFL than ever before. Offenses are evolving and forcing defenses to adapt. While the final decisions do and should always rest with the player and their families, I'd be surprised if the program doesn't provide them with some pretty solid advice.

The NCAA is leaning towards letting kids transfer as easily as coaches. That is only fair.
So if the coaches don’t have to run in practice, the players shouldn’t have to. And professors can show up to class late, so students should be able to. Am doing I guess all my subordinates should have the same expense account that I have. And they shouldn’t have to listen to me since everyone should have the same level of power. Coaches and players are different.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Maybe Franklin was honest with them. Told them they are second team and will be hard pressed to find playing time third teamers are pressing them for second team.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Obviously :) they are.

Sweet Jeebzus..... that’s kinda’ a Default, isn’t it?

sweet jeebuz..... you didn't offer that obvious option in your post which didn't quite fit your narrative.

"Losing kids to “1st Round NFL Money”?" and "But PSU - in one year - is losing a dozen or so kids who don’t fit into ANY of those categories. That is an issue...... IMO"

was your post just poorly worded or poorly thought out??

The NCAA is leaning towards letting kids transfer as easily as coaches. That is only fair.

Quite the opposite. There hasn't been any tangible support for removing the sit out year, despite some options presented that would allow it.

There was even an option that would require everyone to sit out a year, but give everyone an extra year of eligibility if the sit out year would mean they'd lose one. That got minimal support.

I really don't understand why some of you are wigging out over this. All you have to do is listen to Franklin's press conferences. He made it clear that the program is at the point where he is going to try to out recruit the previous class and everyone will have to compete for their positions, including the starters. He even went as far to say that the players signed this year will help him recruit better players at their positions next year. Early competition will be greatest at skill positions furthest away from the ball.

He has also set it up where players can finish their degrees in 3.5 years and said he expects few of those players to return for another season.

None of this should be surprising.

I don't understand the weeping and gnashing of teeth. Who would you rather have bolt......Polk and JJ or George and Shorter? On one hand we have folks who want a top recruiting class and yet we want to keep the poor guys that get beat out. Wade is not likely to surpass Brisker. Should we have let Brisker go to Pitt instead?

I really don't understand why some of you are wigging out over this. All you have to do is listen to Franklin's press conferences. He made it clear that the program is at the point where he is going to try to out recruit the previous class and everyone will have to compete for their positions, including the starters. He even went as far to say that the players signed this year will help him recruit better players at their positions next year. Early competition will be greatest at skill positions furthest away from the ball.

He has also set it up where players can finish their degrees in 3.5 years and said he expects few of those players to return for another season.

None of this should be surprising.
least of all to Franklin ... I get how some fans are wigging out, but to think that Franklin wasn't aware that this could happen, or even more likely encouraged a good portion of this is crazy
He has been saying this is what we are going to become for the past 4 years

Wade seemed to be a late, late game sub this year. I can’t imagine he was a second team player and may have been part of the reason for the juco safety coming in.

Ok. Back to freshmen on ST. That worked well for us.

How many WR can we play? Dotson, Hipp, Hamler, George, Shorter, Brown....Dunmore coming in and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford get some early reps for experience in the slot.

Hope this doesn't devolve into kids seeking out the path of least resistance. Penn State, in its quest to develop student-athletes on the field, in the classroom and in the community, isn't for everyone. Football factories are a dime a dozen and possibly attractive to certain people in moments of frustration. How many players said they thought about transferring in their early years with Joe, only to sing his praises and say "thank goodness I stayed the course" upon graduating? In any event, best wishes to Brandon, Lamont and Zech.
Those days are over. This is the new reality so get accustomed to seeing it every year

Maybe Franklin was honest with them. Told them they are second team and will be hard pressed to find playing time third teamers are pressing them for second team.
But the deal was different for Scott and Farmer, and second half of the season Trace?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT